• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Stealing] Pub 57 Stealing from Monsters info

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Publish 57, December 2008 introduced the ability to steal various items from monsters:

• A given monster can be stolen from once in its lifetime
  • Gold, bandages, gems, potions, scrolls
  • Thieves with GM skills or higher have a chance at stealing rare items
    • Seed of Life, Mana Draught, Gem of Salvation, Balm of Strength, Balm of Wisdom, Balm of Swiftness, Balm of protection, Stone Skin Lotion and Life Shield Lotion.
Drop rate on stealables:

• GM Stealing: 2%
  • 100.1 to 110 Stealing: 5%
  • 110.1 to 119.9 Stealing: 8%
  • 120.0 Stealing: 10%
Stealing Bonus based on monster fame
For the purposes of stealing, a monster's fame is now scaled from 1 to 40 (previous fame levels 1 to 5). Level 40 being the equivalent of 30,000 fame points. The higher the fame level, the higher the stealing bonus.
Stealing bonus by fame level:
0 % below level 15
1% below level 25
2% below level 35
3% below level 40
5% at level 40
So a thief with 120 skills stealing from a level 40 monster would have a 15% chance of obtaining a rare drop.
Players cannot steal twice from the same monster
Rare items only drop in Fel Dungeons and Champ Spawn areas (all facets)
Trammel & Felucca
The stealables are consumables. Using a Balm or Lotion while one is already active will replace the effects of the first, not combine them. The list includes:
Seed of Life: Uninsurable. When eaten, instantly heals between 25 to 40 HP, even through poison and mortal wounds. 10 min cooldown.
Mana Draught: Uninsurable. When drunk, the player instantly recovers between 25 to 40 mana points. 10 min cooldown.
Gem of Salvation: Blessed. Upon death, the carrier will have the option to invoke its power to self-resurrect, destroying the gem in the process. Unlike Sacrifice, the player’s belongings will remain on his corpse and he will be resurrected with the same minimum health as he would if rezzing at a shrine. 6 hours cooldown.
Balm of Strength:Uninsurable. On use, the player benefits of a 10 Strength increase for 30 min. Can’t be combined with any other Balms or Lotion.
Balm of Wisdom: Uninsurable. On use the player benefits from a 10 Int increase for 30 min. Can’t be combined with any other Balms or Lotion.
Balm of Swiftness: Uninsurable. On use the player benefits from a 10 Dex increase for 30 min. Can’t be combined with any other Balm or Lotion.
Balm of Protection: Uninsurable. On use, reduces by 50% to 100 % the damage sustained from acid (grizzle), and AoE cold (prism icy water, ice elementals), fire (blazing gargoyles). The resistance chance is rolled for each tick. This balm does not protect against spells or weapons elemental damages. Cannot be combined with any other Balms or Lotion. Duration: 30 mins.
Stone Skin Lotion: Uninsurable. On use, increases player Physical Resists by 30 but reduces his Fire and Cold Resists by 5. Cannot be combined with any other Balms or Lotions. Duration 30 mins.
Life Shield Lotion: Uninsurable. On use, reduces by 50% to 100 % the Life Drain damage from Succubus and Tentacles the Harrower. The resistance chance is rolled for each tick. Cannot be combined with any other Balms or Lotions. Duration 30 mins.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I try to insure everything your list says is insurable but every time I get the message that I can't insure that.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The information is taken straight from the publish 57 notes from uo.com, with the addition of the images. I'll edit, it would appear EA's information is incorrect.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder, why there is Karma loss if stealing from Monsters.
I agree, stealing a healers aids is bad. But stealing from a monster should be heroic ...

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the greatest money make for thieves since fan dancer dojo and doom.Since they added the spawns in tokuno and ish to be able to steal you dont have to worry about pks or anyone else slowing you down.Only worry i now have is reclaiming when i want...Karma... :) in the pacific the Gems of salvation are selling at low end 25k per and i cant keep vendor filled....

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I go steal them at the wield great stuff just have to recharge karma once in a while

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Am I correct that you dont need snooping, in any way, to steal from monsters? You just target the monster over and over till you recieve one item? Or do you only get to target it one time and if it doesn't give you something then thats it?

Rosalinda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm... I've been stealing plenty of these "new" items, on a regular basis, but I notice today that I now get the message "You can't steal from this" when I target a monster! Not sure when this started as I've missed a few days, but I'm sure it was fine last week. And yes I HAVE submitted a bug report, just gotta wait, I guess.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a new link - the one above no longer works.
yes, sorry about that. The post was made before we moved the site to wordpress. Link updated

btw, while snooping isn't required for this, if you are stealing from Exodus Minions, snooping skill is required, but it's only used passively. You cannot snoop a pack and select your target.

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are the special "potions" the only things that you can get from monster stealing? Is it possible to steal anything they normally might drop on their corpse? I mean, what all can you get from monsters?

*** Edit*** I should have taken the new link before I asked the above questions. So nothing big can be stolen beyond the great potions that I'm definitely going to be doing...
Oh, and thx for the snooping tip on minions... Any other steals that need snooping (monster wise)?

Last edited:

Rosalinda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only creatures I've found that give no karma loss are those that give balms/lotions and nothing else, and vice versa.
And one creature that gives me a perverse satisfaction to steal from, even with the karma loss, is the fairy dragons - what you get when you steal from is....their bandages!!! Which is helpful when you're trying to kill them as it kind of messes up their ANNOYING HABIT of healing themselves!