• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PRT please respond.

Would U participate in a player run town.

• Yes I would definately place a house there.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I like the idea but I like my house where it is

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • PRT's are ok but not something I am interested in.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't want to see PRT's on Origin

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Yellow Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone we really do need to discuss the Player Run Town option. Even if you don't agree with it or if you just don't care. At least lets give EM Morgan something as to our feelings and ideas. If necessary read the highlights from the meeting with EM Morgan posted by Sara.

M

Michael Wolf

I had started one when Origin opened. At one point we had 7 houses and a Keep. Now not much remains, the empty keep (Shinobi hasn't played or used it in years), and 2 of my houses are left. Everyone else has long quit UO that had a house there at one point. We also had several player run towns at one point, I was doing articles on them. We had a beautiful Vampire town in Malas that had the visual effect of all 10 building being connected to each other. Beldin had Dwarf community in Snakes Pass. The Elves had a town on the mainland just across from Skara Brae. Just to name a few.

C

Crystal Canyon

I think PRT are a great idea and in fact, like Micheal Wolf, we also had one when Origin first opened.

A new approach to this that I would like to suggest, especailly because of the fact that we are a small shard, is that these towns not only be constructed of players from the same guild. These type of communities seem to be the norm and understandable so, but from experience I have found that interaction with players outside of your own guild is a big plus. It also give those players that choose not to be part of a guild, the opportunity to also feel included in a community type setting.

Recently our guild went into an alliance with a guild we have known and respected for a very long time. This guild also had a couple of other guilds already in their alliance. We knew a few of the players that were in these guilds but had never really interacted with them. We have been having a blast with new found friends and hunting partners.

I believe that this type of interaction could occur with players run towns especially if they were open to anyone wanting to place a house and become part of a community, but may not want to neccesarrily join any certain guild.

Just my thoughts, and something to think about when starting to set up PRTs.

Yellow Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are some questions that I have regarding the community.

1. A person wants to join the community. Do they need to get permission from the leader or co-leader of the town?

2. A person likes the area where the town is located. How close to the town can they build a house without joining the community?

3. What are the duties/authority of the leader/co-leader?

4. A person joins the community and becomes disruptive to other community members. What action if any can be taken?

5. Is the town going to be like a home owners association setting rules on what can be built (example:vampire town description like Michael quoted).

6. Can a house being sold be blocked by the community to a person not wanted in the community (example: an opposition guild member, an opposition red character even on tram)

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. A person wants to join the community. Do they need to get permission from the leader or co-leader of the town?

I would Imagine that would be up to the ruling body of the town, if there is one

2. A person likes the area where the town is located. How close to the town can they build a house without joining the community?

technically they could put it as close as they wanted as there is no way for the town to stop them

3. What are the duties/authority of the leader/co-leader?

basically whatever the Town decides it is

4. A person joins the community and becomes disruptive to other community members. What action if any can be taken?

depends what facet/shard it is (muahahahaha)

5. Is the town going to be like a home owners association setting rules on what can be built (example:vampire town description like Michael quoted).

I haven't seen one that did that yet, but I'm sure it could happen

6. Can a house being sold be blocked by the community to a person not wanted in the community (example: an opposition guild member, an opposition red character even on tram)

They can try but technically if the homeowner wants to sell it to the unwanted guest, they really cannot stop it.

I am not sure about any of this beard, (this is all Imho) but to my knowledge EA can't/wont interfere with, or give any special attention/power to prt's (other than this idea they are trying right now).

Yellow Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure about any of this beard, (this is all Imho) but to my knowledge EA can't/wont interfere with, or give any special attention/power to prt's (other than this idea they are trying right now).
According to the link posted by Sara, I think this may be a different situation.
It is sanctioned by the Royalty (i'm guessing that is EA) and may fall under a different rule set.

I am really uninformed at this point and wish we could get better insight in the form of a tech manual or something.

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The way I read it was that we will petition the Queen for recognition of the town, to get the banner and teleporter only. Other than that it will operate the same as prt's always have. (again this is just how I took it)

I am looking forward to this and will be willing to join in a town. but we need to decide where to do it (facet/location). and I will be willing to move to Fel for it as well.

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
According to the link posted by Sara, I think this may be a different situation.
It is sanctioned by the Royalty (i'm guessing that is EA) and may fall under a different rule set.

I am really uninformed at this point and wish we could get better insight in the form of a tech manual or something.
EM Faine Morgan has her new website up, and has put up a page about player run towns: Player Run Towns

PS: EM Faine Morgan's main page is now: http://emfainemorgan.com/blog (no www in front)

Related Thread: A Thanksgiving Message From EM Faine Morgan

Yellow Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I see there are at least 4 people that want to create a prt. now we should meet and start talking about the basics. Where, when, what, why and a charter. Please don't think I am taking over this prt thing. I just want to get it started.

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just let me know when you want to meet I'll be on for the next 6 hrs. or so.

C

Crystal Canyon

From what I see there are at least 4 people that want to create a prt. now we should meet and start talking about the basics. Where, when, what, why and a charter. Please don't think I am taking over this prt thing. I just want to get it started.
Sounds like a great idea to me. Why dont you set up a time and place to meet and let us know. Then we can go from there and see if we need to tweak the time. :thumbup:

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Brat, Frey and I spent a couple of hours talking to Faine tonight about the PRT. a couple of things Faine mentioned was that Origin, being one of the few shards that does not really have a selection of existing PRT's, would be a unique, and interesting situation. Faine will be putting up a mailbox around the Councilor's hall in Britain (the one in Tram behind the mage shop). We will need to put a book, with the name of the Town, how we want our banner to look, a Rune to the town, and Declare our loyalties to the Crown in the book (For, against, or neutral) all of this goes in a bag and put in the mailbox.

After that is done, the queen will decide if we can be recognized, and there will be a ceremony and fanfare (and probably lotsa brats cookies). none of what will happen is completely finalized yet, Faine has to find out what she can get away with...... er,, is allowed to do.

Another point that was made, is that there can be as many towns as anyone wants. No limit, so if anyone wants to make their own town or just make their tavern a "town" it will be considered.

Brat suggested we get another meeting together this weekend sometime so we will need to decide on a time and place. I figure the councilor's hall is a good spot since the mailbox will be there and as for the time, we discussed 7pm Pst (8 mountain, 9 central, 10 est) either Friday, or Saturday (don't remember exact day). We can discuss and make changes suitable for all during the week.

Hopefully if I Remembered something wrong, or left something out, Brat can add her comment later.

(I hope what I typed makes sense, but as I am on call for my company right now, and VERY sleep deprived, it may not)

M

Mayadevi

I think you got it all False. There will be lots of cookies and whatever other treats we can manage ;-)

I'm all pooped out From too much writing in the past week.
36K words in one week for NaNoWrimMo, and yes I DID make it to 50K for anyone who was wondering :)

How's Friday, 7pm Pst (8 Mountain, 9 Central, 10 Est) sound for everyone?

There are a couple of spots we can put a town, so come give your input.

Does everyone remember what happened the last time the Brat wasn't given specific directions?

Y'all wouldn't want me to go ahead without directions would ya?

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That Sounds fine to me. Now go get some sleep before they find you walking the center line of the road mumbling

Yellow Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry 10 pm eastern is really a bad time for me. An hour earlier or an hour later would be great. If that makes it hard on the others though I can get the facts later. Anywhere chosen is ok with me.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When? Where? Exxact time? I'm lost LOL

PS...I'm trying to schedule an auction Saturday evening at 8 p.m. CST, just so you know so it doesn't conflict :)