• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

provocation w/out boat

reed taylor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since there isn't anything on the bard forum that's been made since Obama started his second term about raising provocation without a boat, I'm gonna post my gains. At least it'll give people an idea to start with.

50 started out at Lizardman villiage outside out Humility gate in Ilsh
Switched to Gamans from 55'ish to 72
From 72 I went with Solens outside wind and gained well. Sticking with Solen Infiltrators till 75 hopefully later.
Next plan is probably Lowland Bouras till *crosses fingers* high 80's?

Last edited:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does playing Bard "provocation" masteries raise the skill also ?

Just like playing the actual skill to provoke 2 targets one against another or are there significant difference in gaining ?

reed taylor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great question, yes you can gain from using bard masteries and while I can't say anything for provoke, I know my gains using bard masteries with peacemaking were slow.

My peace macro was area peace, mastery on, mastery off, area peace, pause, repeat. You can gain from turning mastery off. Area peace produced far better gains.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does playing Bard "provocation" masteries raise the skill also ?

Just like playing the actual skill to provoke 2 targets one against another or are there significant difference in gaining ?
It has been well documented in this Forum that you can go to 120 in all three bard skills by using the Bard Masteries. I have personally taken all of the skills to 120 without ever using any of the skills on an animal and/or monster. If you have UOAssist, you can get to 120's without even leaving your house.

Katrena

reed taylor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please then, enlighten the rest of us. As far as I can tell, you can't use a bard mastery until 90 real skill so using rings to get to 90 wont do it. How then do you raise provocation in your own home without using bard mastery?

Last edited:

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please then, enlighten the rest of us. As far as I can tell, you can't use a bard mastery until 90 real skill so using rings to get to 90 wont do it. How then do you raise provocation in your own home without using bard mastery?
My response was to Popps question as to if the Bard Masteries would raise the skill and that this topic has been covered multiple times in this Forum. As for your specific question, please see items 1 and 2 below.

The following is how that is accomplished.

1. Purchase a Mythic Character Token
2. Apply Token for your 3 Bard skills
3. Do any one of the 3 Mastery Quests
4. Sing your way to 120

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i bought.mine up.. did farms for a bit. till it slowed. then beetles till it slowed.. then cu to 90.

but i did all with a three boat setup.. me in the middle. hired a tamer to get me the beetles and cu. and uoa macro them back and forth...for provo ...

same for disco... but used more then two of each

i used ten beetles.. five per boat.

with me casting invis after the tenth.. with a pause before starting again to remove the disco..

cu i did to 90 in my house.. since they don't attack ya. ten of those too.

then masteries to 120

reed taylor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, well, that's certainly an effective method. In terms of not using boats which is a bannable offense (and interesting it is so openly talked about on stratics) or mythic character tokens, it looks like the same method still applies, gamans then lowland bouras. I'm getting decent gains, on them so far, we'll see what the future holds.... The solens outside of wind really do make a great addition between when gamans slow down and gains are hard off lowland bouras. Any other suggestions on areas for people to raise provoke?

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.. you can go to dreadhorn and provo them back and forth... nothing will attack ya. if your positive karma

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can also just stand somewhere with bagballs around ya so you don't get hit by non casters malee ..

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I used elementals. It was easy and relatively fast.
Macros: provo the stored target on the current target, heal current target.
Find a monster with a proper barding difficulty and save it (the stored target)
If an elem die or disappear just cast new one and select it (so it is the current target).

reed taylor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, three more things I've found, Silver Serpents and Toxic Sliths! The third is that you can gain provoking Boura's onto Sliths. Instead of dragging boura's to each other, use a slith, gains are rare but they happen. The Toxic Sliths are great for gains too. Skree, use them as well. Ain't nothing in the faq about any of this.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ain't nothing in the faq about any of this.
There are a lot of things that you can gain off of that are not in the F.A.Q. You can find plenty of things to gain off of in here: http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/bardingdifficulty.php

There is no exact 100% skill guide for any skill. A guide is just that, something that helps people that has been tested but there are always other ways to gain as well. Poo put a lot of work into testing and finding what he felt was the quickest, safest, and easiest ways to gain. It was updated in 2012 and there has been no new content since then to make it obsolete. You are more than welcome to gather your gain information and data, post it, and I will see about adding it to what is there. :)

reed taylor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poo has always done great work and no offense but UO Stratics Bard forum will always be "his house". There are a few holes that could be shored up though. The barding list is missing the Ter Mur mobs. I didn't know anything about making my character with a mythic token. The actual bard faq doesn't have the list of what to use when, it's a few posts down and isn't detailed very well. We just need a little information filling. Everything is here but it's scattered.

I'm lazy, I'm comfortable with it, should other players decide to come back, lets make it as easy as possible. Some people come to stratics for the "game guide" atmosphere, lets make a great one that's easy to follow with training areas and alternatives. UO is only as dead as we allow it to be. It is the best mmo that's ever been made, people are coming back all the time, lets help em stay.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poo has always done great work and no offense but UO Stratics Bard forum will always be "his house". There are a few holes that could be shored up though. The barding list is missing the Ter Mur mobs. I didn't know anything about making my character with a mythic token. The actual bard faq doesn't have the list of what to use when, it's a few posts down and isn't detailed very well. We just need a little information filling. Everything is here but it's scattered.

I'm lazy, I'm comfortable with it, should other players decide to come back, lets make it as easy as possible. Some people come to stratics for the "game guide" atmosphere, lets make a great one that's easy to follow with training areas and alternatives. UO is only as dead as we allow it to be. It is the best mmo that's ever been made, people are coming back all the time, lets help em stay.
I have to agree.... years ago I modded some of these forums, it is hard work and a thankless job, but back then all skill forums had detailed faq that laid out exactly how to train a skill. I am returning now after being gone for years...trying to retrain skills I lost on stones and there isn't a lot of help.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I try to post detailed responses in hopes of getting a "sticky" again because I also agree there isn't much around the way there used to be. My issue is I can only speak with confidence on a few areas of uo. Mostly casting and mage end stuff.
I am looking for tips on training provo and disco from around GM to 120 on monsters. I can do the masteries but it's a macro kind of skill I want to fight and farm while training. Drakes were the old standard I guess but good luck finding a decent drake spawn these days! I was training on CU's but I wasn't gaining well and my crystal ball said too easy.. I'm at 102 provo and 120 music. I read it's better to be gm music for training but I'm not going to turn it down..any suggestions? Are cu's still the best way even if it says 'too easy'?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Quite honestly, music is easy to raise so if you have an empty soul stone laying around, you could stone off your music and then raise it to gm and lock it down. I am heading out right now but will post some other things to gain off of.

To be honest, Poo was the main man in barding for so long, I was afraid to change anything that he had up. I will look at making some new FAQ's for the different skills even though things you gain off of are very similar. If anyone is training a bard up and want to PM me data that would be great. I will make a couple on different shards and get some new data for myself. My bards are years old and I have not had to work one in quite a while.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no skill time out between gains for musicianship, so stoning off musicianship and raising it to GM is your best option.
As to raising on monsters, the fastest way to train is to run the mastery abilities while using those skills in the world. So running around and provoking while using the masteries is a good way to train. If you really don't want to go the soul stone route and want to actively use skills to build then I recommend getting 120 peace/music and then heading down to the air elementals in shame to work provo and disco.
If you can run both peace masteries in conjunction (or just the damage reduction one) you can usually run provocation on all the elementals that spawn and make some nice loot while you are gaining skill. (The mastery spell songs allow you to tanks the hits pretty well so you dont have to run away between fails) You could also do level 2 mud elementals but their difficulty is a bit lower.