• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Protection spell

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I am wondering, do people play with it on or without it?

The FC loss is not good, but then on the other hand, when I don't have Protection on I get spell fizzles a lot because I get hit by mobs, either directly or from ranged attack, especially mobs that chain cast lower level spells very fast.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, It is a bugger. I don't use it myself. Much of what I do is timing and knowing the environment I am in. None the less the healing stone has become my best friend.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use the Protect spell 24/7, it's the first spell I cast when I am rezzed. Far too many times, I have gotten an Invis spell off with 2-3 HP to spare!

Yes, the FC loss hurts but I play PvM exclusively and cast far more RC's than I do any other spell, and there is no need to "Fast Cast". It also allows me more flexibility to imbue jewels, by not needing the FC+2 - much less the +6 FCR.

My armor is always 85 Phys to allow for the -15 hit to phys resist.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use it as a convenience with my fisherman. The spells from the sea serpents really don't hurt if you have decent armor. The drop in physical resist is not a concern, since the serpents cannot hit you if you stand near the center of the boat.

Stayin Alive,

BG

V

Vaelix

Protection is Amazing versus Dexxers in PvP.. But not 24/7.

I toggle it off and On depending on what I'm fighting, and the combos they are using.

FYI, Protection + Cleansing Winds Spam = Never Die 1v1

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
My mystic/mage/weaver always uses it! I run o/6 fc/fcr

The minus side is slower cast time

the plus side is no interruptions ever!
saving spots on jewels for other mods
saving spot on shields

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My mystic/mage/weaver always uses it! I run o/6 fc/fcr

The minus side is slower cast time

the plus side is no interruptions ever!
saving spots on jewels for other mods
saving spot on shields

Also, the loss of Magic Resist and Physical Resist.

J

[JD]

ive played a tamer mage who spawns and occasionally pvp's. running with protection on was nice for to avoid interruptions but all it takes is someone with half a brain to mortal or poison you and it throws a monkey wrench into things as far as healing goes (not everyone uses a program which auto eats apples and chugs potions, thank you very much).

i no longer pvp or spawn on the toon but i quit running with protection so i could get the benefit of faster chain heals on my pet. with cleansing winds im able to keep it curse free as well. i like it a lot more. protection casting speed is kind of annoying now. i play more proactively as well, i will reposition myself or use invis tactically to keep aggro off me. haven't had a problem with interruptions

D

Death Adder

I use it 24/7 on my Necro Archer. I have 120 Resist and have 35 Resist on my armor to cover up the Resist penalty, as well as the Physical Penalty (tough with the -25 Fire from vamp form as well, but doable).

T

taglol

I use it sometime to get a resurrection off or summoning a daemon mid fights.

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use it on occasions, in certain situation.

But I have a question. One of the stoneforms cons is -2 FC. I know if you have no FC items on you can actually drop below the 0 FC and you will cast slow(-2FC). But if you have protection on and in stoneform and FC2 from suit, will it bump you up to 0 or stay at -2 FC?

J

[JD]

i tried stone form+ protection at a spawn and it was a dream. no more interruptions from poison, no stacked curses. only thing i had to worry about was too much direct damage being done to me. easily solveable between a heal or an invis. i lived through situations i normally would have died.

ill probably run with it on when im around enough guild members to "protect" me from a gank squad, though if im field fighting obviously mobility is more important

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Yeah, if you can cancel out the Physical Resist subtraction it would be excellent for PvM.
I do have it canceled out and have all 70's with it running! also have 26 points of the resist penalty canceled due to jewels so all in all -9 to resist for never fail spells is a good trade for my play style!

D

Demoquin84

I need some clarification. Does Prot "set" FC at -2 or subtracts from existing FC.

I normally run 2-3 FC/ 5-6 FCR

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need some clarification. Does Prot "set" FC at -2 or subtracts from existing FC.

I normally run 2-3 FC/ 5-6 FCR
Protection sets your FC at 0 and nothing can budge it (except stoneform wich will actually put it at -2 if you have no FC+ items)