• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Protection PVM Mage-still need FCR?

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know FC is negated with Protection spell on, so I don't bother with FC2 mods, but shoud I still have FCR6 on my jewels?

I run a Mystic-Mage-SpellWeaver ...

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Need is relative, depends on your playstyle.

Will you still benefit from FCR6? Absolutely. That is how I run it but I have seen other posts where people are perfectly happy with no fc/fcr on protection mages for pvm. I have never tried it though.

I did a little searching in this forum, it seems that the general consensus is people still use FCR6 even in protection. Some actually add in the FC2 if they are going stone form because stone form will drop FC to -2 even in protection. Here is one such link.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Need is relative, depends on your playstyle.

Will you still benefit from FCR6? Absolutely. That is how I run it but I have seen other posts where people are perfectly happy with no fc/fcr on protection mages for pvm. I have never tried it though.

I did a little searching in this forum, it seems that the general consensus is people still use FCR6 even in protection. Some actually add in the FC2 if they are going stone form because stone form will drop FC to -2 even in protection. Here is one such link.
Went through that other thread. The last reply seems to indicate using the protection spell caps FC at 0. I thought it dropped your potential cap by 2. mage, mystic=0, necro=1, chiv, weaving=2 as capped under protection, is that wrong? going looking now.

*edit* okay so it looks like protection penalizes you by 2 FC but will not drop FC below zero, which I don't think I was aware of. Also UO Guide lists the max cast speed of Necromancers as the same as mages, which would be 2/6, but I could have sworn I remembered Necro being a wonky spell set with a casting time unto itself, 3/6. Playguide for skills is down and I can find nothing to substantiate either side.
In that case, if I am wrong, max FC for mages mystics and necros would be zero and unaffected by FC on jewels unless you are also using stone form, in which case FC2 would be required to prevent you from falling into a negative FC time.
Weavers and paladins in protection could still have a max FC of 2, but would have to be wearing 4FC to be at that cap.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I run the following template with protection.

120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Necro
120 SS
120 Med
120 Resisting Spells

I use +skill on my Aegis of Grace, Ring, and Brace to counteract the -34 (human) Resisting Spells from protection to keep 120 Resist.

I could not imaging running less than FCR 5 for a Protection Mage. I personally run FCR 6. It let's me wither near continuously and I rarely ever see the message that I have to wait to cast my next spell.