• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Problem with digging for treasure

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok... I'm new at this, but I did read a lot of the board posts and think I am in the right area according the hints... and this is only a level one map (I have tried multiple maps and locations, but thus far have been batting zero).

I think I am having a problem actually digging. When digging for the treasure, I only get the "You can't mine there" text notice link a bad mining spot vs. the "Where shall you dig for your treasure? You did and dig but fail to find any trasure" text message for a bad treasure spot (saw the latter text message when watching a u-tube demo on treasure hunting).

So... what am I missing? I have Cart (GM) and Mining (GM), a decoded map, and a shovel. I double click the shovel and target the ground. Do I have to set the shovel to a special setting? It has to be something simple....?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's two ways, you can use the context menu on the map, or the older way is double click the shovel, target the map then target the ground.

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks!

That worked.... thought I was going crazy for awhile. I have completed my first lvl 1 map. Found the spot in one dig with the shovel.

(For us super newbie treasure hunters, you may want to add that little tip to the FAQs)

Thanks again!

J

Jonathan Baron

Problem is, Petra, that the article references outdated material from the days when treasure chest spots were fixed and folks used archives and rune libraries. There is still a link to a tool that helped you isolate coordinates using the previous system.

There was an article on how to narrow down the search without the old method but nowhere did I find the tip you provided. I too suffered an afternoon of "you can't mine here" and I could find no context menu from the map. Clicking the map does nothing and right clicking closes it. If you right click it in your pack, you do get a menu but how I am supposed to know that?

Alas, that's often the problem with expert articles. The expert has forgotten what it was like to be brand new and either skips the basics entirely or does not put them where they belong: right up front.

How do you dig up treasure. Start with a shovel....pickaxe. Doesn't mention that either much less how to employ it. Yes, you'd know about them if you were a miner but you don't need mining to dig up treasure chests. The context menu for those offers you the choice of ore with greyed out options for gems and stone until you consume the books on those resources.

You saved the day for RueTor and myself, however, and I really do appreciate it and all the work you do for us. I honestly and deeply do.
-

J

Jonathan Baron

OMG, that write up of of yours is wonderful, Petra.....PERFECT!!

It's so comprehensive, easy to read, and tells you everything.....every...thing you need to know in the order you want to know it.

Plus it has strategies - the best ones I think - for actually finding where that red X really is. The linked web app is splendid as well.

As you know, unless you're one of those people who like to play UO as a multi-clienting massively single player game, upper level treasure chests are a fun, small group activity. If you're throwing the party you want to have those spots dialed in and boresighted in advance. Things that make time stand still: microwave ovens, computers and a party of folks standing around while the T-Hunter tries to find the spot.

On another subject altogether, nice Zento shop you have on Siege. Bought a spare LRC suit there the other day.....you need spare suits on Siege ;)

Thank you, Petra.