• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

pre-AoS dexxer

• Thread starter Alex the Gray
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
A

Alex the Gray

Im thinking of making a dexxer, with no mojo. No bushido, no chivalry, no magery or necro, no ninja or hide or stealth. All of those skills aren't "AoS" skills, but you get the picture. Thinking of a swordsman with ax or old school hally.
My ping is 390 lol.
Now, I'd like to give this a shot, and already know that he's cannon fodder and soup- but- do you think he could stay alive long enough to have fun? H'es going to be the eternally dying scarecrow, but do you think he could live long enough, fight long enough, to have FUN with?
If you think he's going to be the one-hit dying wonder, than I guess it's not worth it. But if with parry and resist you think he could still be fun to run with, I'd give him a go.
I'd like to hear what any good pvpers think.
My exception to the pre-aos rule might be to feed him some scrolls. Giving away +20 skills points in every skill at the start of the fight sure isn't going to help him- unless anyone thinks the old 7x GM could still make a go?
I'd also be curious what anyone thought about stat spread- how much to put into str, dex, int. He may do weapon specials, but wont be using any of the modern melee skills- bush,ninja, chiv, necro, etc., so mana may not be a big issue. Need some suggestions here.
I'd also be curious to hear any suggestion as to the pros and cons of swords (with lumber) or macing, or even archery. I think macing still wears down stamina. There are some sweet sword and macing weapons out there. Archery give you distance, but you give up parry. Just wonder what anyone thinks

G

I think if you have a good enough weapon you should be fine. Fine enough to enjoy yourself.

G

You will only have a 20% parry chance with a 2-handed weapon without bushido and with 120 parry.
Something like 40% with 120 bushido.
35% with 1-handed weapon and just 120 parry.

I

imported_SavageSP

Pure Warrior no add-ons with a bad connection id go Archery and a balanced bow.(Pick your Bow for the Moves you like)

120 Archery
120 Tactics
100-120 Anatomy
90-120 Healing
120 Resist
100+ Meditation
(???) the rest in Focus-for stamina regen to keep healing and swings fast, or just carry 30 TR Pots around
* and if you wernt opposed to adding 1 newer skill, work 100+ Bushido in there for the LS and Confidence.

A

Alex the Gray

you think thats better than a high damage mace with a shield?
Though Ive seen that some of the bows do some really good damage. That would also reduce one skill- parry- tho I might live, or die, to regret that

A

Alex the Gray

Do you play an archer? I would think that - with no archer experience- that dismount or moving shot would be the best. One to get mages off their horses- the other so I wouldn't have to stop to shoot.
What are your prefered archery specials?

G

My true "Pre-AoS" (with power-scrolls) dexter.

125 STR, 100 DEX, 25 INT

120 anatomy
120 swords
120 tactics
100 lumber (Lj bonus still works)
120 heal
120 resist

G

<blockquote><hr>

you think thats better than a high damage mace with a shield?

[/ QUOTE ] The diamond mace is now the hardest/fastest hitting weapon. A good mace can be very deadly.

<blockquote><hr>

Do you play an archer? I would think that - with no archer experience- that dismount or moving shot would be the best. One to get mages off their horses- the other so I wouldn't have to stop to shoot.
What are your prefered archery specials?

[/ QUOTE ] Archer Online ftw...

A

Alex the Gray

I started quite a few years ago on great lakes, with a dungeon rogue and a macer. No specials, no scroll, no nothing. I loved it. I understand the advantages of a ranged attack, and the lumberjack bonus. But nostalgia calls me back to macing. I know its probably a mistake, but I feel it none-the-less.
If he is fun to play, I wont care how often I die. I miss the old fun

G

100 Mace
100 Anatomy
100 Tactics
100 Healing
100 Resist
100 Magery
100 Meditation

Oldschool with a quarter staff.

A

Alex the Gray

man do I miss the old 7x gm. They could keep the scrolls and specials.

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

100 Mace
100 Anatomy
100 Tactics
100 Healing
100 Resist
100 Magery
100 Meditation

[/ QUOTE ]

Why magery and meditation with no eval?

I

imported_SavageSP

The reason I said Archery instead of any of the Melee Weps is because of your Connection, its damn hard to stay on top of someone if you cant keep up.
The only People that are gonna run towards you are gonna be Melee Characters, everyone else is "ranged attack", so having a "ranged attack" with a slow connection would probably be better for you imo.

A balanced moving shot bow would be my preference, finding an Uber one is the hard part, Id go with a Composite myself on that Templet.

Its easier to build a Templet around a "blessable" Weapon then the other way around, find your Weapon, then make your Templet.
A one-handed wep or a balanced bow would be the way to go, unless you can disarm/chug/rearm quickly, potions will make the difference in how long you stay alive.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause old school the magery skill without eval was still very worth the points. Hybrids post publish 16 were very powerful.

P

pikon198

i play an old skool temp:

Fencing
Archery
Poison
Tactcs
Resist
Healing
Anatomy

Its not the best template but ive been able to kill people with it nicely. It's one of my favorite old skool temps.

G

I am currently running (working on)

120 Fence
120 Tacs
GM Poison
GM Focus
94 Heal
81 Anat
80 Resist
25 med

This is closest I have been to a "chaotic evil warrior" since T2A and the character build it is based on ruled the Lost Lands of LS with an iron fist at one point.

The character, as many I have always played, subscribes to the theory of "less is more" and incorporates more skills (usually) than a traditional 7X or 6X template. More skills = more survivability = more fun, IMO.

I can ditch poison and tacs and drop 20 points of med in a heartbeat and take up 120/120 necro/ss, or run a ninjitsu template as well. But you were asking about oldskool and I realized what Im working at now is pretty close.

my $.02

A

AntiOTF

I often run with this template, and he's a son of a gun to stop. I have 70 resist on a stone, but too lazy to take it to gm, so i just stay on people ass ftw! It doesn't get more old skool than this.

120 fecing
120 tactics
120 anatomy
120 focus
100 poison
100 healing
40 meditation

100/100/55

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Swords
120 Anatomy
120 Tactics
100 Lumberjack
100 Hiding
120 Healing
40 Med or Focus....

G

the only problem i see with this last template is the 300% cap on damage increase. Im too stupid to do the math but i think having swords, lj, tact and anat will make you reach, and probably go over the cap. I think there might be a better way to utilize skills?

A

Alex the Gray

thank you all for the help and suggestions.
This'll be the first time on siege I have played anything without stealth. When I started I'd lock up so often for so long I made a dungeon rogue who wore nothing but newbie clothes- never mattered if he died or not.

Stealth just seemed to stick after that.

I am going to try an archer. When I tried gouged eye and tried to get red, people would just run away from me in battle if I was winning. It wouldn't matter if I could 1 hit kill anyone on the shard- if I cant catch them lol. I've got magery and even necro on stones, but I just dont find them as much fun as the melee fighter.
I am not going to train up another char- that is just more training than I want. Xiphos has everything buy archery, healing, and anat to some degree or another on a stone. That would hasten things along a bit.
So you'll see a evry nervous and vulnerable looking Xiphos riding around the countryside soon, trying to get his archery to rot at least. If you see him on a horse with a bow, he's my wanna-be pvp'er, and the invitation is open to all.
I'm working an alacrity scroll for detect at the moment- should hit gm today sometime. After that, hope to see you out.
This kind of play is new to me, so when you drop him, if you've seen me make any grievous tactical or strategic errors, I'd appreciate it if you'd bring them to my attention.

Thanks again.

A

AntiOTF

Damage increase is capped at 100%, but It doesn't include skills in the cap. 100% as in 50% DI on wep, 25% DI on ring, 25% DI on bracelet, then you're at cap.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

100 Mace
100 Anatomy
100 Tactics
100 Healing
100 Resist
100 Magery
100 Meditation

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply because you don't need it. With no eval, you can still heal, cure , mindblast, and poison people. The amount of damage from a mindblast comes from how high your magery is. The chance of you landing a poison on someone is your magery vs. their magic resist. With a Q-Staff, you could beat people down easily, then toss in a poison on them when they got low, then go back to bashing them. When using a Q-Staff, you could easily break armor, plus you kill their stamina. Its all about timing it right. Also if you had UOA, you could time bandages to cure you and have a GH precasted if you were low on life or cure yourself of poison before bandage. And all the other magery goodness.

Best template period oldschool.