• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PP Fire Steed - Round 1 - Need sanity check!

XeneX

Adventurer
I've been playing around with training these guys on the test server, and using the PP nightmare guide at www.uo-cah.com/training/legacy-nightmare I think I have a build that fits the fire steed. I wanted to run this by some folks with more experience for a sanity check.

Untrained Stats

Untrained Resists

Proposed Round 1 Training

I will be adding Chiv/AI and power scrolls in round 3, as recommended in the guide (she's 2 control slots prior to training). I also plan to add 20 HP regen and 30 mana regen, but for round 1 she isn't using much mana, and I need the vet practice. HP and mana regen will get added in round 2 or 3 depending on when I need to consume points.

Last edited:

XeneX

Adventurer
One other question I had, the guide on uo-cah.com implies that they could fill up the pet training progress bar by fighting one enemy. Is there a trick I'm missing? It took me several days of farming Sphinx and Balron to fill the bar on pretty much all my PP pets.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Fight harder mobs, ie, the crazed mage down in Shame, Navrey, etc. Balrons and the like don't have enough "umph" to be trained on as one session.

In regards to round 1 training, nothing there screams wrong. There's some things I'd have done differently (health regen instead of str) but as long as you have it right at the end, it doesn't really matter.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
One other question I had, the guide on uo-cah.com implies that they could fill up the pet training progress bar by fighting one enemy. Is there a trick I'm missing? It took me several days of farming Sphinx and Balron to fill the bar on pretty much all my PP pets.
It will depend on the mob you are fighting and the pet's current control slot:

Fighting a strong mob, such as Crazed Mage, Burning Mage, Dread Pirate, Allosaurus, etc. you will see the following gains:

Level 1 to 2: 100% on 1 mob
Level 2 to 3: 100% on 1 mob
Level 3 to 4: 50% on 1 mob, 2 mobs needed
Level 4 to 5: 25% on 1 mob, 4 mobs needed

SouthPaw

Lore Master
-Typically if my pet is 1 or 2 slot I'll go to crazed mage and get 100%.
-When it's 3 slot, I'll get 50% from crazed mage, and other 50% either from unbound energy elemental or the burning mage (both are near the crazed mage in Dungeon Shame level 5).
-When pet is 4 slot, I get 25% from crazed mage, 25% from burning mage, and 25% from 2 different energy elementals.

*Just to be clear you could get 25% at 4 slots or 50% at 3 slots from crazed mage, have someone or a group kill that mage and get another 25% or 50% from the new mage that spawns.

XeneX

Adventurer
Thanks to everyone for the tips. I was able to train it from 3=>4 on the crazed mage and Navrey, but wasn't able to kill either. The burning mage was tricky to vet through due to a burning aura, so instead I jumped over and raised 4=>5 on 4 allosaurus, which worked quite well once I pulled them off to a secluded corner. I'm still rounding up power scrolls to finish out the 4=>5 training, but once I get those shored up (hopefully tonight), I'll wrap up the training and post my final results here!

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Thanks to everyone for the tips. I was able to train it from 3=>4 on the crazed mage and Navrey, but wasn't able to kill either. The burning mage was tricky to vet through due to a burning aura, so instead I jumped over and raised 4=>5 on 4 allosaurus, which worked quite well once I pulled them off to a secluded corner. I'm still rounding up power scrolls to finish out the 4=>5 training, but once I get those shored up (hopefully tonight), I'll wrap up the training and post my final results here!
For Burning mage leveling, say "all follow" to the pet and then target the mage. This way if the mage casts invisibility on himself the pet doesn't come back to you dragging the mage with it. Then tell the pet to attack the mage. You cannot vet, you have to stand back a ways and cast heal/cure from a distance. This works best for 4 slot pets that likely have high fire resistance by that point.

XeneX

Adventurer
That's a good idea on following the mob! The allosaurus worked fairly well though.

Here's what the final results were on the fire steed after all the training was complete (2=>5).

I had planned on doing 20 hp regen, but came up ~6 points short, so ended up with 19 hp regen and a few more points in int. Otherwise, she ended up just how I had planned and even sitting at 100 on skills and low chiv she's quite a beast! I'm happy, but being my first PP train I'd welcome any feedback folks had.

I have a PP mare and WW I had thought about training similarly with chiv/ai. Anyone have any thoughts on using a similar build for them? Is this chiv/ai build going to be fairly consistent between pet types? I'm a little hesitant to replace the magery on both at the cost of 300 more points, but the numbers I've seen from WW's with chiv/ai have them consistently ~25% higher on dps than mage/ai and I don't feel like I'm going to get that sort of bang out of spending the 300 points elsewhere... Any other `must haves` that I should be be considering for either?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The following works on all things. Travesty and things you train on. That steed dont have much mana. And there is no PP Firesteed the 2 slot ones now are the same.

And if you have a PP WW, Khaelor will cry if you dont put chiv on it.

XeneX

Adventurer
The following works on all things. Travesty and things you train on. That steed dont have much mana. And there is no PP Firesteed the 2 slot ones now are the same.

And if you have a PP WW, Khaelor will cry if you dont put chiv on it.
Good to know. I knew the mare and ww are overcapped for 2 and 3 slot respectively, wasn't sure on the steeds, hadn't tamed one since I returned. He doesn't have much mana. He seems to do ok with the regen, but I just didn't have enough points to pack more mana in. If it were you what would you have given up to boost the mana pool?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Use the points for HP or mana. If you fight long periods the mana is not as important. If you have 2 or more on the roof you can bump up the mana and let all the pets recharge before the next Boss.

You can make many pets with different uses.