• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Potential new player? (with some questions)

• Thread starter spamthachb
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

spamthachb

Hello everyone... I'm not sure if there's anyone out there reading this because I'm not sure how regularly people frequent this forum but seeing as I am unable to currently post on the official SWG forum, I thought this would have to do for the moment.

So as the title says, I am thinking about possibly buying SWG and creating a new account. But before I do anything, I wanted to hear what the current players thought about the game. I'd appreciate it very much if anyone could answer some of these questions that I have while I wait for my free trial to download (which is going way too slowly due to some ridiculous problems).

1) How is the game population? Do people still play this game or will it feel like I'm in a ghost town?
2) How friendly are players towards newbies? I took a look at the official forums and it seems like most of the "new" players are actually returning players. I'm not sure how people might handle an entirely new player.
3) How important is roleplaying in this game? I don't have a problem with RP and I've wanted to try it once... but since I've never done it before I'm concerned I might suck at it and that might ruin the game experience for me (and possibly those around me).
4) On a similar note to #1 and 2, do people even run lower level content?

I'm pretty sure I had more questions but that's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

Thanks in advance to any answers!

B

BadgerSmaker

Hey spamthachb,

1) How is the game population? Do people still play this game or will it feel like I'm in a ghost town?

It depends which server you play on. Check out these statistics for help making a server choice.

Starsider is always busy, conversely Sunrunner is dead as dead can be.

2) How friendly are players towards newbies? I took a look at the official forums and it seems like most of the "new" players are actually returning players. I'm not sure how people might handle an entirely new player.

The SWG community is usually excellent when it comes to new players in game, new players don't tend to find the forums straight away so you may not see many there. Use the following command in game to find player helpers who enjoy helping new players:

/who helper

You'll get back a list of names, you can then

/tell [playername] Hi, can you help me please?

And you should get some helpful responses.

3) How important is roleplaying in this game? I don't have a problem with RP and I've wanted to try it once... but since I've never done it before I'm concerned I might suck at it and that might ruin the game experience for me (and possibly those around me).

I've never indulged in RP during my seven years of SWG, so it certainly isn't required. Most roleplayers are thic-skinned enough to filter out any "Out of Character" chatter so don't worry about it.

4) On a similar note to #1 and 2, do people even run lower level content?

You will find other new, returning and existing players creating new characters running the lower level content. The best way to find people around your level is to use the player search tool. I use this tool to form full groups of other players to level up with, it makes it a great deal more fun and you can make new friends this way too.

I hope that helps! Feel free to ask any more questions.

S

spamthachb

Thanks very much for the detailed response! I'm actually quite excited to try out my 14 day trial of SWG.. just need to wait for my download to finish.

As you look back on your experience now, is there anything you think seasoned veterans may wish they had found out as new players?

B

BadgerSmaker

Thanks very much for the detailed response! I'm actually quite excited to try out my 14 day trial of SWG.. just need to wait for my download to finish.

As you look back on your experience now, is there anything you think seasoned veterans may wish they had found out as new players?
I do tend to send new players some specific tips, ones that I think go a long way to make SWG easier.

I'll post a listed of my favourites here once I get them all together, be sure to join the #starwars Stratics IRC channel as you can always get tips there.

W

Welbourn

I'm tempted to start playing this too, currently torn between SWG or LOTR.

W

Welbourn

I may have to, it is either these, back to WoW (Which I got kind of disheartened with) or try doing something completely new.

It might sound weird but what I really want to be is a crafter, WoW used to be good for that, UO used to be excellent for that. I just want to find a good guild and be an important person supplying the others!

P

Penti

I may have to, it is either these, back to WoW (Which I got kind of disheartened with) or try doing something completely new.

It might sound weird but what I really want to be is a crafter, WoW used to be good for that, UO used to be excellent for that. I just want to find a good guild and be an important person supplying the others!

Well SWG certainly has the most in-depth crafting system, although it would take you a while to really get going and be competitive.