• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[BUG] Possible Video Card issues.

K

Karthogen

Hello All,

I am hoping to find someone that has had these issues, or may know of a fix for these issues that I am running into with the Enhanced client. There are 3 problems that I am having and they all seem to be video related.

Current Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

1. When I open a world map all I see is a blue blob on the map. It will let me plot the course but does not load the actual map to know where I am plotting. I have tried Default client and the Copper enhanced both with the same result. (thank you in-game help for giving me the default answer of deleting my player files with all my macro's because you didn't know the answer)

2. If my character is dead when returning to the game from a client crash the play screen is vertical gray lines only. All other windows and backbacks show correctly but the play window seems to be stretched vertically so far the the pixels are just long lines of grey. Once rezed this will clear up the image and return to normal.

3. Speed on the game decreases over time as I play. When fighting Corgal with the massive lag attacks that fill the screen with ugly pictures of what I assume is Fire the longer I fight the slower the game moves, until finally it crashes.

For 2 of the three above it seems to me that the game is not adaquately clearing the memory for the video card. Any help or solutions to these issues would be greatly appreciated as client crashes on Corgal are not fun, and I want to be able to drop a map on my tillerman, boating is boring.

Thanks.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can help you with the point 2:
You have to enable or disable the hardware death effect.

Just make some test on TC1 for make sure it works :)

K

Karthogen

Thank you for the response. Hopefully that will take care of one out of 3.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
boot into safe mode with networking.
start uo, it will be 800x600 by default.
see if it still happens, if it does you know its hardware related.
if not, its software related; windows, video drivers/settings, page file, etc etc.
you mentioned over time things slow down at corgul, that could be GPU heat related.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
number 3 is most likely caused by memory leak

K

Karthogen

boot into safe mode with networking.
start uo, it will be 800x600 by default.
see if it still happens, if it does you know its hardware related.
if not, its software related; windows, video drivers/settings, page file, etc etc.
you mentioned over time things slow down at corgul, that could be GPU heat related.
I have been considering the Heat it has been a few months since I have done a thorough cleaning on the inside of the PC. It is amazing how much dust those small fans can collect in a short period in time.

The reason I was looking more towards a UO fix, is because I have been playing other games that are more memory/GPU intensive and none of them have the same issue. Also the speed for UO increases with a shutdown of UO and an immediate restart, without letting the PC rest or cool down.

K

Karthogen

Still no luck with Number 1. I have tried updating video drivers, unistalling and reinstalling video drivers, clients, game, and Mods with no success. Is anyone else out there having the same issue? ARe you using an NVIDIA chipset? I am hoping to narrow down the cause to hopefully find a quick solution.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
try the "full file check" option on patcher. also makes sure you have the last availible version of directx9