• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

possible runebook gliche/exploit?

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was asked to help a "new" character. I used his/her runebook to gate to the place where he'she needed help, which was meant to me in tram, according to the rune colour(blue). and yet i was recalled to fel where there was a red waiting for me.

What i noticed was the character recalled as soon as i gated, maybe tunrning my gate spell into a recall and sending me to the rune he/she recalled off(i think).

Could this be possible?

R

RavenWinterHawk

Been around. I take it, you recalled off the book. Dont do that.

I dont know how it works but its an exploit people use.

If it was a rune you used, Im not sure.

D

DarkScripture

I seen the same thing happen to my son. He was helping someone by gating for them only to be recalled to waiting reds. These red of course slew his on sight and started looting.. well no big deal right.... WRONG!!! All and I do mean all insured and blessed items were looted. I had not seen nor hear of this haoppening to anyone eles so thus was silent about it till I could find out more. Now I read this only to see the very same thing happen..

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea it was a book. And as a result to that i lost my sorc suit which i claimed not even 20 mins before and forgot to insure >_< oh well.. life goes on

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too have *almost* fallen victim to this. I read of this little "feature" a while back and was sitting at WBB. Guy with a [young] tag walks up, asks to see my armor, so I take my robe off and show him IR's, orny, kasa, etc.. im wearing. He says cool, we have a conversation on how to aquire all these things, then he asks if I can go to his house and help him go through some armor. He hands me his runebook with one rune in it marked home. Immediately my BS detector goes off. I tell him one sec, take the runebook and holler in guild chat for everyone to get on a pvp toon and come to WBB. We get about 8 of us there, I drop the rune from the book and gate off it. We pop in to a crossfielded gate and are almost taken out by 3-4 witherers. Some of us manage to teleport out and proceed to lay the smack to all reds concerned. We check the bodies, dont see anything, so I time out, go to luna and deposit the runebook and the rune into the trash container there. I hate to see this bug is still working, as this was like 3 months ago... anyway, be careful!

A

Atlantian

This a problem with the new breed of fels which I like to call felucups because they give the real fellucans a bad name. The true reds of before were mean and killers but at least they didn't have to lure anyone and they were respectful. What happened to them?

P

packrat

I too have *almost* fallen victim to this. I read of this little "feature" a while back and was sitting at WBB. Guy with a [young] tag walks up, asks to see my armor, so I take my robe off and show him IR's, orny, kasa, etc.. im wearing. He says cool, we have a conversation on how to aquire all these things, then he asks if I can go to his house and help him go through some armor. He hands me his runebook with one rune in it marked home. Immediately my BS detector goes off. I tell him one sec, take the runebook and holler in guild chat for everyone to get on a pvp toon and come to WBB. We get about 8 of us there, I drop the rune from the book and gate off it. We pop in to a crossfielded gate and are almost taken out by 3-4 witherers. Some of us manage to teleport out and proceed to lay the smack to all reds concerned. We check the bodies, dont see anything, so I time out, go to luna and deposit the runebook and the rune into the trash container there. I hate to see this bug is still working, as this was like 3 months ago... anyway, be careful!
I bet they had to clean their pants when you were done with them lol.. They wonder why no one wants to go to fel anymore.

R

RavenWinterHawk

I figured that was it. I was never able to figure out how they did it but...

Never recall off a rune book.

Pricey loss on the suit. If your on atlantic Ill give you 100k points.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
do not recall or gate from a runebook unless you know the person. The only reason I was saved was I dropped the rune from the book and cast gate and targeted it.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This bug is ooooooold. I'm not going to explain exactly how it works but you can safe-guard yourself from it by recalling or gating only from runebooks that are in your backpack. Don't use runebooks from the floor!

C

CroakerTnT

This a problem with the new breed of fels which I like to call felucups because they give the real fellucans a bad name. The true reds of before were mean and killers but at least they didn't have to lure anyone and they were respectful. What happened to them?
They all moved to Siege. Or quit.

S

Slasherpvp

Fel seems to stay busy with exploits. As soon as one is finally wiped out, they have already moved on to two or three more which runs off many players from fel anymore. Not to mention, if a person is affected by it, many throw in the towel due to no items being returned through policy, another exploit will happen after this one is sqaushed and just out of the heat of the moment frustration. The exploits evolve or change but the real players that remember playing the old fel, just about always have the same reaction. They are done with it. If I was EA, I'd have a membership to every exploit site there is for UO. Not to say that they don't. I'd then squash everything that came out,asap. Make people quit spending their money on those sites because all exploits get pounded asap. Then, tell my boss to go home for the day and send a nasty Trojan virus to every one of those sites,lol.I know, don't stoop to their level, but it would be cool huh?

R

Revenant2

This bug is ooooooold. I'm not going to explain exactly how it works but you can safe-guard yourself from it by recalling or gating only from runebooks that are in your backpack. Don't use runebooks from the floor!
If anyone can reliably duplicate this, please put in a bug report with the exact steps. I'd hope to see them fix this one as soon as possible.

I've never been hit by it but by these accounts, it may be being used more often now than before, so the sooner the better.

edit: Id sure hope/wish/something that GMs consider using this exploit to PK anyone as bannable. ****, if shopping in luna is, this should be for sure, right????

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whiners nerfed their play style so hard they play shadowbane and aoc instead.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was no exploit, this sounds more like a slip up. who hasn't hit the wrong button or macro for recall or gate? The moral of the story is, don't make mistakes when you don't know people. Gating to an xfield is a humorous past time for those seeking to farm some income, it's as old as UO.

It sounds more and more like newer or less aware players are falling for old "tricks" and screaming exploit because they don't have the brass that older uo players had in simply implementing justice...

This whole thread appears to be nothing more than a wine and cheese thread.

Ferrut

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had something similar happen quite a few times. And I'm fairly certain it is reproducable. Me and my girlfriend, using the same runebook in a rune library. If we both recall at the same time, to two seperate locations, we end up going to the rune the other person recalled to! Even stranger, and more worrying : (I think this got mentioned (and argued about) in uhall before...) If we log in at the same time, very occasionally we end up with the other persons characters!!! You can pick one, log in as normal (albeit on someone elses account!), then log back out, and it shows the (correct, ie your) account that you tried to log in with on the login screen originally. Very odd indeed!!!

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had something similar happen quite a few times. And I'm fairly certain it is reproducable. Me and my girlfriend, using the same runebook in a rune library. If we both recall at the same time, to two seperate locations, we end up going to the rune the other person recalled to! Even stranger, and more worrying : (I think this got mentioned (and argued about) in uhall before...) If we log in at the same time, very occasionally we end up with the other persons characters!!! You can pick one, log in as normal (albeit on someone elses account!), then log back out, and it shows the (correct, ie your) account that you tried to log in with on the login screen originally. Very odd indeed!!!
this has probably something to do with the fact your using the same ip and have a crappy gateway.

i notice that when i am playing and my gf is playing and we recall at the time time we get more recall crashes then i normally do when im playing alone.

i wish the uo client would let me set a port so i can open it in my router for each computer.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They all moved to Siege. Or quit.
No they are where I am. And its not siege and dosnt even have a tram or AOS.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is sad I have been playing for over seven years and didn't even know about this exploit. I'm glad you posted about it so it won't happen to me now.

X

xempathy

The one I loved was spammers at west Britain bank giving out the bracelets that you can teleport off of to their shop. Obviously this is a trap. I had my dragon there to eat them alive. There were two of them and it was in a small underground area with no exit. I still thought it was pretty clever.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, it is possible, I actually recounted it a few times with a guildie to make sure i didnt do anything wrong. When I get home from work I am going to post in a bug report to try and get this fixed ASAP.

I may still get the suit back, Ive asked a mate in the lowlifes guild to see if he can get it back for me. I know its a long shot, but hey i dont have the points or money to get another suit :(

Actually apon closer inspection of the character(blinded by the fact that i lost my brand new sorc suit) i lost everything, insure items, blessed items, everything.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was no exploit, this sounds more like a slip up. who hasn't hit the wrong button or macro for recall or gate? The moral of the story is, don't make mistakes when you don't know people. Gating to an xfield is a humorous past time for those seeking to farm some income, it's as old as UO.

It sounds more and more like newer or less aware players are falling for old "tricks" and screaming exploit because they don't have the brass that older uo players had in simply implementing justice...

This whole thread appears to be nothing more than a wine and cheese thread.
This was not a slip up, every rune in the book was to trammel, but 2 of them. and the rune i recalled off wasnt near the fel runes.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was no exploit, this sounds more like a slip up. who hasn't hit the wrong button or macro for recall or gate?
This most deffinately was an exploit. Like I said, this is a very old bug, many years old.
I know how replicate it, I just tested it and it still works. If the current dev-team doesn't know about it then they just haven't done their homework caurse I'm quite sure the old dev-team did know. Anyway, to be sure I'll send in a bug report as soon as I get a chance.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was not a slip up, every rune in the book was to trammel, but 2 of them. and the rune i recalled off wasnt near the fel runes.
Never recall off books. Always gate. Then you can decide wether to walk through or not. Genrally if its red, think twice.

A

Amathist of PoC

I thought he did try to gate and that it recalled him not that he recalled???

P

Pax

Aye, it is possible, I actually recounted it a few times with a guildie to make sure i didnt do anything wrong. When I get home from work I am going to post in a bug report to try and get this fixed ASAP.

I may still get the suit back, Ive asked a mate in the lowlifes guild to see if he can get it back for me. I know its a long shot, but hey i dont have the points or money to get another suit :(

Actually apon closer inspection of the character(blinded by the fact that i lost my brand new sorc suit) i lost everything, insure items, blessed items, everything.
Losing that new Sorc Suit is horrible to think about, and I truly feel for you on that, :( but what's especially scary is that they found a way to uninsure and unbless all your other items and take them too!

:grrr:That REALLY needs to be fixed pronto!

Be well - Pax

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
just using huge font cause i might have the answer??

so anywho, you all may know that you can use html or other common codes to change the color and front statues in homes and books. IE

<i>yo craka</i> will show yo craka in a book, and you can still change books colors in titles.

It may be that these people use code to change the color of runes in books abd fool you.

P

Pax

just using huge font cause i might have the answer??

so anywho, you all may know that you can use html or other common codes to change the color and front statues in homes and books. IE

<i>yo craka</i> will show yo craka in a book, and you can still change books colors in titles.

It may be that these people use code to change the color of runes in books abd fool you.
And that changes the coding on the server, not just for your client, so that everyone sees your change? Think I've come across a few house signs and... wait, there was a rune that did the weird house-sign thing too; huge, italic Old English font on a bright yellow background. Is that what you're talking about?

Be well - Pax

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah everyone see's it. not just you. however i tried to do it after i made the post. I couldnt get it to work, but that doesnt mean its not possible.

S

Septimus

Yeah Clog woulda hit gate and the person did something to make him go elsewhere, and yes it still works. Not gonna say how otherwise you end up with 100s of people tryin to scam people before it gets fixed/if it ever gets fixed. Bring back the gms that actually turned up and answered squestions n bugs, not go to this site, tell us what we did wrong and we might fix it crap. One word for that... LAZY.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you recall off the rune in the book or off the book because if you recalled off the book the book could of been set to default on one of the fel runes in the book?

I would of been wary of a young player having a rune to fel in their rune book since players with young can't go to fel. So Im thinking the young statis might have something to do with it. Not sure tho but if you hit a tram rune in the runebook and he at the sametime hit a fel rune in book. and since he cant go to fel, and you can you were sent there, and he was sent to the tram place you hit.

P

Pax

yeah everyone see's it. not just you. however i tried to do it after i made the post. I couldnt get it to work, but that doesnt mean its not possible.
Right. Okay, think I understand what you're talking about... not literally huge bright yellow advertising placards, but coding a different color for something than was originally programmed. That's very clearly stated as violating the ToS.

Be well - Pax

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an old trick and the person recalled off the book which caused your gate to change from your selected location to their recall location at the last second. This has been around for a while and I thought it was fixed at one point but I guess you can still do it.