• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) Possible Disbandment of HLP and move to Atl

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Hey All,

In the past following weeks I've been having thoughts about, if to carry on with HLP guild and keep playing in Europa, I love the shard and the players in it but seems that even with RTB its still rather slow and monotonous sometimes to play here, Only the EM events are keeping my interest but even them are too far spaced out to be fully committed to the game myself. On another note I don't really get many new players that come along and the ones that come mostly come on trial accs, so its a bit of waste of time to help them, if 2 weeks later they will go off, 1 in 10 stays to play.... I will still help them but just breaks my heart that they don't stay and then we are back to the same players again.
I havn't gone in a champ spawn with a bit group Id say in about 3 months, the closest thing I've had is maybe the Scalis in Magincia docks on the afternoons. I know this game can be played solo or in groups, I am more the type of person to play in a group, If I wanted to play solo, well then Id get a PS4 or Xbox out.....
I would maybe reconsider staying if you guys can remind me again why I loved this shard and why I started here, I don't want to put anyone in a situation, so feel free to comment if you feel like it, but maybe sometimes someone is low and needs a kick up the back side to get things back into perspective. I could even consider making a alliance with an active guild if anyone wants us as allies, I know we aint as big as before but we are here to play, its nearly 11 months down the line and no one has asked me if id like to ally...... and when I have asked only got the cold shoulder.......
Maybe I am just having a miserable day and I am seeing it all wrong but still the thought dwells in my mind.....

Thanks for taking your time to read this if you got this far....:p

Have a great day XX:danceb:

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does Atlantic have a Petra?

Molly Foxglove (and family)?

Lien Ragus?

3 good reasons to stay right there

Seems to me the alliance Lien has put together is a pretty good one ... I can always find a group to hunt with (or someone to rescue me - cheers Goto)

What else does Europa have?

A Battle Chicken League .... in game Auction house ....

c'mon people ... help me out here ...

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm with Barian here. Atlantic may be busy but Europa is unique. It would be a shame to see anyone leave.
I am searching for a guild for many of my characters. I do enjoy a good solo skulk around but it is nice to do things with others. Any suggestions?

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quite a few people are at Brit Bank every day at 6pm UK Time

Welcome to come & join us

Tatty Bojangles

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I for one would hate to see you, and your guild, leave the shard.

I recently returned to UO and decided on the Europa shard (I used to play Drachenfels) and almost as soon as I logged in as a young player I was helped by a member of HLP and by one of the Foxgloves. It was this initial help that has made me keep playing UO over the last month or so despite the lack of activity throughout the game. Even though the community is so much smaller than it used to be - it is a lot friendlier than almost any other online game I've experienced.

Having said that I do find trouble finding anyone in game to play with. Until recently with the Doom events going on I didn't realize so many players were about, but looking round the dungeon nowadays there are still a fair few players. Where do you all arrange to make groups etc? As general chat seems to be largely about PvP backchat and trade shenanigans?

I'd be very upset to see anyone leave this shard as I believe it has great potential to thrive if only we could come up with a way to invigorate it's player base and encourage more and more people to play together rather than on their own. That being said if anyone ever needs any help, someone to play with or someone to chat to either look me up in game or add me to ICQ. My number is - 653858613

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has already been said - Europa is unique. I personally would much rather play on a shard like this with a smaller population when that includes so many good people. I do not play as much as I used to but have never entertained any thoughts of moving to a different shard, let alone leaving the game.

With regard to the chat channel, I long ago became bored with General chat and now whenever I play I use the Help channel, except during events. That often gives me the opportunity to help new players and hopefully encourage them to make Europa their permanent home. If, as you say only one in ten do so, I don't regard that as a lost cause but maybe a reason why some of the one in ten stay.

We all get discouraged sometimes with aspects of the game, I hate the scripting etc now rife but I imagine that it is probably even more so on a highly populated shard

Still we all have to make our own decisions and you must make yours but your proposed move is not one I will ever make. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Losing HLP from Europa would be a bad thing.... you have helped a lot of folks get started, and even if only a few keep on playing that's an important few. There is a genuine problem getting regular hunts organised for folks, even as someone who doesn't do that sort of stuff I have seen so many people trying to get things moving, and sadly not appearing to get too far. All I can suggest is you keep on trying though, it's a long, hard slog and often feels unrewarding, but not that long ago people used to run public champion spawn trips once per week and those seemed to be pretty popular.... as often with UO though, it takes someone to do the work to get things going before more people join in!

I also suspect you'd find Atlantic less appealing that it may sound, it's certainly more populated and a lot busier, but also I have found it much less friendly, and way too competitive for a more 'laid back' (or maybe lazy ;) ) player like me.....

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember the chats we had from the beginning Alex.. I told you this day would come and this is exactly what I told happened with every new player guild we had for atleast a decade. I even called you blue eyed to challange you a bit and be prepared. There isnt any harder task to sign up for than making a new player guild and teach the ropes to new players of all sorts and ages...on and on and on.. You made the best and most long lived one we ever had. A guild for new players always become a transit guild. When the members have learned about all options they searcgh their own ways and friends to play with. They notice they dont come much further as the leaders have their hand full with even newer players who often are quite demanding and eager to try everything atonce.
Thing is, you and all of us that helps the new players to get started must not count who stays and be dissapointed and discouraged you couldnt keep their interest. You dont know why they stopped. Some just didnt even quit but realised they wanted another playstyle, made new chars with names unknown to us and still plays . What you can be sure about is that they have good memories of *HLP and Europa and many of them will come back and play and pay longer or shorter periods. We have many returning people that has been away for ower a decade and still remember UO and returns. The job isnt in vain , the free stuff made impact. Be sure what you do makes people fondluy remember Europa and UO. *HLP is the link that so often is missing. We help newcomers with equippment but to assist with hunting for everyone on their own level is not easy, takes time and dedication. It often feels hopeleless and discouraging and like the new ppl are ungrateful etc. But you can bet on, that we old ppl see what you do and are happy about it. We are proud of all that contributes to make our shard great and you and your guild make us proud. Still ..all old ppl has experience of how exhausting it is to take on new players and are cautious about making alliance . Rather pick one or two new-ish or returning ppl at a time if anything.
Im sorry you have a dip now ..hope its just a dip, its bad anyways. I wich people that are concerned and want Europa alive and UO up and running think and try to understand how important *HLP is and give a hand. Perhaps a meeting and discussion if we could improve things would be a good thing right now?

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oops before anyone say What about Saor.. That was another happy period when Saor took care of the youngs and showed when different aspects of the game. Cail was devoted and they did a great job indeed. The void they left was very bad for us. Some have tried for short times to fill the gap but not until *HLP was created we saw success.

I just wonder if there are some active guilds left that could give Alex a hand sometimes ?.. Exept for RAA/RAAM that already runs Brit bank meets every night mainly for new and returning players and also run New Player House to equip and help the first days in game..plus occacionaly crafters meet in Minoc. .. and a shop.. we are pretty much occupied..

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This as been happening on every shard ....along with those that leave permanent...people have been drifting to fuller shards for some time///notably atlantic although gl and chessy are above the average too....guess its each to there own...but let me just say europa IS holding its own...we re pretty much bang on the average of populous...there are many shards in a lot worse/quieter situation than us...so dont dispair to much....it could be a lot lot worse

and another reason to stay is the opening of the holiday and global event museum in felucca...just waiting on a tram/luna house teleporter as easy entrance to it...and also for escaping to...lolz if need be..i will bann any reds causing chaos...

Lien Ragus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Alex,

I cant be more agreed with Molly Foxglove on all what she said. You took a very important challenge to run a starter guild and i really think you did well so far. Many ppl like to be supported by ppl and certainly those in Uo (not only Europa) need all the help they can to start with. The "job" is tough, rewardingless and sometimes really despairing...
This being said the strength of a shard mainly relies on everyone's effort to bring something in it. To that concern you have been a very
important factor to keep new and returning players here. :banana:
Dont despair !!! I m sure you will find a second breath to continue to bring Europa what it needs.
You have plenty of ppl making things here and then there and surely can be part of it one way or the other.

I d better dont talk about Atlantic (i have a char there) and i can tell you it s like the bad UO 10 to 15 years ago... so moving onto there
could be kind of a shock !! hehe

Dont act in a hurry and think of it twice Alex , that s surely the only advice i could give you if i may.

Take care and hope to see you for a long time here,
Lien Ragus

CronusVl

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Some reasons to stay right there. On Atl u cannot be owner of castle(or prepare many bucks), craft service and cost for full good suits more than at Europa. If u want good house as 18*18 - u must pay. All good places occupied. Also dragon bardings as in my shop cost more.
Good community and many people who periodically bring good items from another shards to us.
Certainly, manage guild with many newbies not the most pleasant occupation. But as you see. Some people, who began with HLP are grateful to you. It means it wasn't vain....
Anyway, this your decision. ...

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if Alex really want to go Atlantics. He knows how that shard is , everyone does. I suspect he is frustrated its this hard to keep the guild togeather . If a leader of such guild is gone for a week the guild members are gone. Its a very intence job but oh so important. This might be a call for help. He hit the wall. That happened to me more than once and my "job" is not this tough at all. For the future of Europa, if anyone can offer to support HLP getting the members out on adventures the time is now.

Lonliness

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I played UO on Europa shard tween 1998-2004.It was a brilliant time with so many friends..We used to sit on a log behind Moonglow bank and chat and laugh for hours...Alas that period is long gone.I came back to the game 15 months ago and found Europa deserted, and I went to Atlantic in desperation....I have created an enormous amount of wealth..have a successful shop and 3 big houses...BUT in all that time have NEVER made a friend or had a useful conversation! The bank at Luna is stuffed full of 'sitters'..the floor is covered in shop advertising runes (including some of mine!) It is so mind bogglingly boring! I will always play this game, as many of you will...BUT I am seriously looking at the easiest way of lugging all my gear and gold and characters to Europa.(MY FIRST LOVE)....Heck I even noticed on some nights the population reaches medium!!
Stay where you are Alex.I would love to join your guild! We all get depressed with our game!.The grass is always greener on the other side...NOT.

Amantala EA

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If people are looking for other people to hunt with, I would be willing to set up a weekly hunting session where we could get a few people together and hunt some peerless, exodus etc. Maybe if it takes off could do it more regularly than once a week too!

Tatty Bojangles

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
If it is help you are looking for I am always willing to lend a hand where I can. I am online a fair but these days as I work on call so play this while I wait for a summons so if I'm about I will always be willing to help with anything you need - helping new players if you haven't time or showing them the ropes etc.

Only problem with adventuring is I might need to log off with very little notice but while I'm around I'm more than happy to help out in any way I can. That goes for anyone else reading this - if you ever need help just let me know as I always feel online games are better when played as part of a group/team and I'm fed up wandering around on my own :(

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have just spent a morning on Atlantic..I will NOT be returning there. *shudders*

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lonliness It wouldnt be hard as you are rich to buy afew transfer tokens and bring ower some chars. Space for placing houses and keeps even. And buying a castle is doable pretty often. The community is great . Not much RP left but we have weekly auctions, player run events and a meeting 1 hour every night at Britain West Bank. We are there mainly to meet and greet new and returning players, but we chat and eat pizza as well. Make a char and meet us at the bank any night 7 to 8 CET, and we can tell you more how things work here nowdays. Welcome!

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will be sad to see you go, I have to really go with others here and say Atlantic whilst populace will not be a joyful place to go.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Thank you all for the nice replies, I think I was just having some down/sad time and I wasn't thinking to straight. Sometimes I got to say this game gets to us more than real life does....:p:p
I am glad and honoured at your responses, I doubt I will really leave as Europa has always been my home, ever since I started back in 2000-2001 although I left the game for a bit, I always came back here. Thanks for all your support, I will try not let any of you down and keep helping us to become bigger and a better community. I know my job is hard but I need to endure it and knowing I got people behind me, make the weight more bearable.
Never been good at writing stuff but I hope you all understand I want to say a big THANK YOU TO ALL :grouphug: and that you have all brought a smile back into my face and made this crazy gamer :) want to play again and given me that energy or push to keep going :twak:

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If people are looking for other people to hunt with, I would be willing to set up a weekly hunting session where we could get a few people together and hunt some peerless, exodus etc. Maybe if it takes off could do it more regularly than once a week too!
Totally up for this!

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup Europa is unique all the players from differant countries playing on one shard. I played Chessie back when there was like only 3 shards in the game, when Europa opened up I jumped from Chessy to Europa and never looked back. The only time I go to Atlantic is to have some vendors to raise some gold for my trinkets I like to collect for my museum. The only problem I have is the time differance living in the USA, but I do occasionally meet up with some of my European friends :).

Lonliness

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Well done Alex,real pleased the fog has lifted.....I have now moved one of my accounts to Europa today..Found a spot for a keep on the road from Britain to the Bog of Desolation.Rolled my sleeves up and stuck some vendors in there.I feel at home already here in Europa.Have tried to visit Britain as suggested by Foxglove but tis my dinner time then,and although I had a quick look with Lonliness or Martha Madness (my 2 characters I have here at moment) I would get shot if I was playing at that time!!
Keep up the great work people and LONG LIVE EUROPA.!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If its quiet time of day....U can always play 2 shards..and flit betwen the 2...

Jeepers ive got vendors on 22 of the 27 shards and half trained chars that simply need love and attention and time!!! that i aint got !!!

Aragorn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thank you all for the nice replies, I think I was just having some down/sad time and I wasn't thinking to straight. Sometimes I got to say this game gets to us more than real life does....:p:p
I am glad and honoured at your responses, I doubt I will really leave as Europa has always been my home, ever since I started back in 2000-2001 although I left the game for a bit, I always came back here. Thanks for all your support, I will try not let any of you down and keep helping us to become bigger and a better community. I know my job is hard but I need to endure it and knowing I got people behind me, make the weight more bearable.
Never been good at writing stuff but I hope you all understand I want to say a big THANK YOU TO ALL :grouphug: and that you have all brought a smile back into my face and made this crazy gamer :) want to play again and given me that energy or push to keep going :twak:

Outstanding bud. If im online and not buried in debugging that thing called real life I will gladly come hunt :)

Aragorn

Aragorn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

To a certain extent ive seen my guild CD Reigns fade (and yes some of it is my fault) and i will say it hurts to see it, to me its a punch in the gut and a kick in the you know whats. :wall: considering all the time and effort spent over the past 4yrs to build it. However I believe it can and will rise again :)

I may be an American but I started on Europa back in 2003 and Europa is where I will stay :)