• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll! would you like to ban people from your own threads?

Would you like ability to ban people from your thread?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Simple question. No debate necessary or opinions needed. Just answer the poll.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We've looked at this many times, but right now we can't restrict it to your own threads. It's nice in idea, not feasible in application.
are there any options at all that is close to this?

like for example limiting what level of participant can reply to a thread? like for example not allowing visitors to post?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
are there any options at all that is close to this?

like for example limiting what level of participant can reply to a thread? like for example not allowing visitors to post?
Not really. In Xenforo, what you're asking about is either a forum moderation permission (thread ban), or a usergroup permission (Visitor) the problem is the former is on a forum level (you'd have to be assigned to moderate the entire forum), and the latter is a user group level permission which would apply globally leaving it so "Visitors" couldn't post anywhere.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not really. In Xenforo, what you're asking about is either a forum moderation permission (thread ban), or a usergroup permission (Visitor) the problem is the former is on a forum level (you'd have to be assigned to moderate the entire forum), and the latter is a user group level permission which would apply globally leaving it so "Visitors" couldn't post anywhere.
ty for info.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looking through the xenforo forums its definitely a conversation that comes up often. Sadly im not sure why they havent added an add-on for it. Seems like it would make them a good deal of money as a premium add-on.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am sure all the PvPers would love to block all the PvMers and all the PvMers would like to block all the PvPers when asking the DEVs for all their wishes. NO THANK YOU. I also like it when the OP says they do not want your opinion good luck with that. I am also sure the DEVs would consider a one side request with all consideration and then **** can it. IMHO this is a STUPID IDEA that should never considered and Stratics should flat out say so up front and quit sidestepping theses types of requests.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am sure all the PvPers would love to block all the PvMers and all the PvMers would like to block all the PvPers when asking the DEVs for all their wishes. NO THANK YOU. I also like it when the OP says they do not want your opinion good luck with that. I am also sure the DEVs would consider a one side request with all consideration and then **** can it. IMHO this is a STUPID IDEA that should never considered and Stratics should flat out say so up front and quit sidestepping theses types of requests.
**Banned**

:)

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I thought you could block people and not see any of their posts?

Otherwise, I don't understand the need for this. If someone is trolling then the system in place should eventually take care of that. Specifically excluding certain people from a public discussion forum on the interwebs seems... petty?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
:bdh: <== Lord Frodo :smile2: You know, maybe you should tell us how you really feel! <big ole grin>

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Otherwise, I don't understand the need for this. If someone is trolling then the system in place should eventually take care of that. Specifically excluding certain people from a public discussion forum on the interwebs seems... petty?
Yup. It's in your controls ... Ignore function.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

you can block them however their post still shows up. It then gives you the option to view it or not.

A public discussion is different than selling something in the trade or rares area. However i do get the slippery slope, and ultimately if they really wanted to troll they would just create another account and post.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I guess your reading comprehension is about ZERO considering I hit both PvP WHINERS and PvM WHINERS all in one post
oh no ... I caught it. TBH I sort of agree with the sentiment. Besides ... my jab was as close as this non-PVPer can get to PVP. <shrug>

And I did use a smiley and the <big ole grin> at the end. You know ... an attempt at a funny?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
We'd definitely consider something like this if it could be limited to the trade forums, but not for all the forums. The option just doesn't exist in the software right now though.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not "blocked"... I should have said "ignored". One quite active members loves trolling me and he is ignored... yet he keeps at it like I can see any of his posts. :) What can you do? hehe.

Still... I dont think anyone should be blocked or banned from their own thread... or really stopped from having some kind of freedom of speech. Just some people use it a little recklessly from time to time. Its no big deal.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We'd definitely consider something like this if it could be limited to the trade forums, but not for all the forums. The option just doesn't exist in the software right now though.
yeah i sent a inquire to xenforo to see if it was a possiblity and two how much would it cost. I would donate quite a bit for that option. :)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its not "blocked"... I should have said "ignored". One quite active members loves trolling me and he is ignored... yet he keeps at it like I can see any of his posts. :) What can you do? hehe.

Still... I dont think anyone should be blocked or banned from their own thread... or really stopped from having some kind of freedom of speech. Just some people use it a little recklessly from time to time. Its no big deal.
The idea would be people could ban people from their own threads, not others. So for instance if i was running an auction and certain people were getting out of line i could ban them from posting in that thread only so the auction wouldnt derail.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Even if it existed, the only place on Stratics this could be fairly applied are the trade forums since those threads only have one purpose usually, and if the seller doesn't want to sell their item to someone there's usually not much reason for that person to post in the thread except to troll and bash the item or seller.

In the discussion forums like Uhall adding an option like that wouldn't be as fair. The goal of the discussion forums is to facilitate communication and community, and being able to arbitrarily block whoever you want to from discussion threads provides a way to manipulate and skew those discussions in the community to the original poster's liking. Especially considering the developers read things here, what if someone started one of those CC vs. EC polls but then banned everyone who uses CC from answering? To a developer casually reading the thread it would appear as though nobody uses CC anymore which could influence development decisions. Things along those lines would make it problematic, and it would go against the base purpose of the forums, which is to allow anyone to participate in open discussions as long as they follow the site rules.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
everyone has always had that ability for themselves.... there is that little X in the top right corner.
People who want to mute and ban others just want to edit the conversation to their liking. That doesn't make forums or UO better...
No thanks

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

There is a need, and the result is this.

ignored.jpg

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even if it existed, the only place on Stratics this could be fairly applied are the trade forums since those threads only have one purpose usually, and if the seller doesn't want to sell their item to someone there's usually not much reason for that person to post in the thread except to troll and bash the item or seller.

In the discussion forums like Uhall adding an option like that wouldn't be as fair. The goal of the discussion forums is to facilitate communication and community, and being able to arbitrarily block whoever you want to from discussion threads provides a way to manipulate and skew those discussions in the community to the original poster's liking. Especially considering the developers read things here, what if someone started one of those CC vs. EC polls but then banned everyone who uses CC from answering? To a developer casually reading the thread it would appear as though nobody uses CC anymore which could influence development decisions. Things along those lines would make it problematic, and it would go against the base purpose of the forums, which is to allow anyone to participate in open discussions as long as they follow the site rules.
yeah my use of it would definitely be in the trade forum area. other areas would be counter productive for sure.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is the area I am sure many of us would wish this to apply. I myself have not posted in this area but I like to keep up with what is going up for auction sale on this site to pass the time. I am amazed at the amount of attempts to derail and troll some of these threads. I am surprised there are not more strict rules in place in the auction area that would protect a poster by limiting auction threads to bids only. But I suppose a auction sales section that allows the poster to set the minimum bid and replies limited to numbers above that would take a bit of work. With a sub thread for comments limited to general inquires of the state of the item if not covered in the description would be even better so you would see nothing but bids on the front end of the thread. Well here is to dreaming I guess.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well sometimes someone might not want to bid but before bidding might have questions about the item...

There is another issue I could see with allowing people to police their own thread... this would be in the case of someone selling something that is not exactly what it seems... there are tons of scammers in UO and it would be a shame if someone shady was selling something that was not what it seemed and someone wanted to point that out only they got banned from the thread.

So I don't know... sounds good to be able to do that but at the same time could be bad.