• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

POLL - Should the Total Skill Point Cap be Raised?

Should the Skill Point Cap Be Raised?

• Yes - Also equal out young and veteran account skill points

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Yes - But leave veteran accounts with more points than young accounts

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • No - The skill cap is fine how it is

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • No - But give all accounts 720 points, young or veteran

Votes: 21 16.9%

• Total voters

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not about specifics... just a general poll on whether you think raising the limit should be even considered.

This is my last poll for a while, I promise. ;)

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted that it's already fine as is, but that's only because you didn't include a "No, it's already higher than it should be." option.

N

Nisse/Ubbe

I voted for a raise, but i will explain how i think. In my ide i want to be able to sacrefice chars from my account to give skill points to 1 char.

The skill above 720 (vet) can only be skills that has no inpact on damage.

Example here would be. I got 6 chars on europa. I sacrefice 5 and that erns me another 500 skillpoints.

Above my 720 i cant take skills like
magery
eval
weapond skill
tac
chiv
necro
SS
SW
focus
medi
poisening
hiding
stealth
magicresist

P

Prince Caspian

The skill cap is a mixed blessing/curse, I've come to find out in UO.

It has made me define the path for each member in the old PC character stable. Originally I wanted to have a treasurehunter ninja thief, but those roles got split into two seperate characters.

I sure could use an additional 100 though. It would be nice to give my main Focus and my mage/necro spellweaving.

C

Coppelia

The scale of difficulty makes 120 a norm.
Bards can't do anything with GM skills.

If going to 120 was like taking a speciality it would be ok, but no, it's a necessity.

So yes, we need more room.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Raising the skill cap will open a whole other can of worms.

The skill cap has worked fine for years, why bother fixing something that's not broke.

Personally I wish the Devs would work on fixing all the other broken aspects of UO, instead of wasting time changing systems that already work.

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Adding more skill points would be a massive imbalance in PvP that would require a new round of focus groups, player feedback and tons of developer time. I would have to vote no purely based on that.

R

Revenant2

This thing is very, very touchy. You can add as few as 35 skill points and have it change some templates in an extremely empoweringly way. This isn't even a thing where taking a vote from the playerbase makes sense since lots of players don't understand other people's templates.

What I'd enjoy seeing is having skills divided up into 2 categories, crafting and fighting, and have seperate skillcaps applied to each, with the crafting skills that give a bonus to the fighting skills counting toward both caps. That way, I could take my lumberjack out chopping would and get to enjoy people coming along to try to kill me, like way back when before there was any skill cap at all. My lumberjack would also be my main PVP guy, so it's like, come and get me? heh.

Or, even simpler, make the crafting skills that don't have a fighting benefit for that char's skillset simply not count toward the skillcap, if you really wanted to dumb it down. Edit: Like, a full blown combat archer template could also carry lumberjacking with no penalty, stuff like that. In either setup, you should be able to build an archer with 720 skill points, and not have unapplicable crafting skills such as lumberjacking apply to the fighting side of it.

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead of raising the caps, why not put the skills back to what they were? For most skills, legendary is about what master used to be. The problem is that, every time someone snivles a little, some skill or another gets nerfed. As time passed, all skills spiraled down toward nothing. Just restore all the skills so that master and grand master means something again.

C

Coppelia

Instead of raising the caps, why not put the skills back to what they were? For most skills, legendary is about what master used to be. The problem is that, every time someone snivles a little, some skill or another gets nerfed. As time passed, all skills spiraled down toward nothing. Just restore all the skills so that master and grand master means something again.
That's fine for me too. But then you need to give something to champ spawns.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Iwould like to see an option not in the poll...

Have the Real Skill cap advance 5 per year from 700 (continuing past 4 years), but have a cap of 800 skill points total for real+equipment.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think there should be a secondary skill cap with primary skill caps.... Primary skill caps being your combat skills and skills that people mainly use the most, that would be a 700 skill cap, maybe higher..

Then we have stuff like camping, item id, taste id, cooking, fishing, tracking, begging, etc.. It would mainly be skills that don't get used much anymore..

Just my two cents..

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never before seen such a distinctive bell curve with only four options.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Have the Real Skill cap advance 5 per year from 700 (continuing past 4 years), but have a cap of 800 skill points total for real+equipment.

Hard cap of 720 skills and equipment

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No. No need to raise the skillcap when you can already raise it by a LOT thanks to jewelry, special event items and artifacts.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The scale of difficulty makes 120 a norm.
Bards can't do anything with GM skills.

If going to 120 was like taking a speciality it would be ok, but no, it's a necessity.

So yes, we need more room.
I will restate this my way ....

Given that 120 is the required skill max now then the skill cap is required to be increased to facilitate that reality.

840 as a skill cap is probably suitable and please STOP adding things that push the skill cap requirements up.

The same argument can be made for Runic made items. It is pretty much required now that one either has Runic made items or Artifacts OR BOTH.

It is time to enable the Runic Tools to be on the Tinkers Menu list

M

Masumatek

Why? So we can allow for yet more overpowered templates? No.

What does need to be changed though is vet rewards. A vets advantage over newer players is their tremendous amount of experience. Why people feel they have the "right" to have 5-20 more skill points (which can really make a huge difference) just because they are "vets" I will never understand. Then again I guess it makes sense. The majority of mmo players don't want fairness. They want any advantage over their fellow players they can get. There's no reason to allow vets to have more skill points than newer players.

G

galefan2004

The skill cap is fine as is. Its even more fine when you figure that using skill items you can normally push it to between 850-900 points at the extreme. Of course, doing this will probably destroy any chance you have of having a suit that is capable of playing in, but it can still be done.

G

galefan2004

Above my 720 i cant take skills like
magery
eval
weapond skill
tac
chiv
necro
SS
SW
focus
medi
poisening
hiding
stealth
magicresist
Yes because everyone should have a stealth ninja archer mage necro tamer to run around and play with. Sounds fun to me. Hell, I'd give up a character slot for that too (especially considering I don't even have my 5th or 6th slot being used yet).

The 720 cap is designed to help balance the game so we don't have samaurai necro paladin archer tamers and the like. If they raised the cap to 820 it would make a lot more powerful templates and if it was higher than that the templates would start to get insane (especially when you figure in skill items).

G

galefan2004

Because we should really aim to overpower veteran accounts then look for fresh blood to get into the game? I already won't play an account that doesn't have at least 720 skill points, and that normally means I end up buying up veteran accounts. This is a good thing for sites that sell accounts, but if other people think like I do it is probably not a good thing when it comes to new accounts getting opened.

M

Masumatek

There's no reason anyone should be complaining about not having enough skill points. People can make some damn powerful templates. It would be very imbalanced if more skill points were added. And as others have pointed out, there are unfortunately plenty of items that boost you beyond the cap. And this is done not only directly though items like +skill, but also indirectly through item properties that replace skills, such as sr, mr, lmc, and more.

G

galefan2004

And this is done not only directly though items like +skill, but also indirectly through item properties that replace skills, such as sr, mr, lmc, and more.
I am sure you wanted to mention mage weapon...I mean how else do you get 120 free skill points? :p

M

Masumatek

I am sure you wanted to mention mage weapon...I mean how else do you get 120 free skill points? :p
Yes that's just one of the many item properties that are bad for the game. I've been asking for that one to be completely removed for a long time.