• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

POLL - Resurrect a "Dead" Skill

Which of these commonly called "dead" skills would you like to see resurrected first?

• Begging

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Camping

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Forensic Evaluation

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Herding

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Item ID

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Taste ID

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 8 8.8%

• Total voters

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's get some ideas on bringing back some of UO's unique skills that have fallen into disuse.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Item ID

I personaly like how it was in the old days.

When you looted a item, it said "a magic katana" or whatever it was.

You had to ID it to know waht it was. Also it would only be identified to you and to no one else, unless they ID'd it too.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Begging isn't dead it had content with trick or treating putting it on par with the fire horn bards have had in the last 8 years.

I picked other - bard skills in pvp should be implemented fully to counter tamers.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't remove anything from the poll once it's created. At least, I can't find a poll editing function.

I referred to them as "commonly called dead" because I knew there would be debate. If you don't think, say, Herding is "dead", then why isn't it used in more templates? Can you think of any way to improve it that would make it more desirable of a skill?

I'm sure there's someone out there with a template that includes every skill in the poll. But just because a few people still use them doesn't make them healthy, active skills.

As far as Taste ID, I admit that I was going more on hearsay. What is the current use for Taste ID and how is it a commonly used skill? Everyone I've spoken to ingame has said that it was worthless...

N

Nisse/Ubbe

Ok its about more than 1 skill that realy needs help here.

Begging. Needs a real bost and you should be able to ern from it.

Herding should combined whit taming, lore and vet alove you to gain 1 folowerslot. You need a min of real gm in taming, lore and vet and combine it whit gm herding and you get 6 folowerslots.

Taste id. Gives you EP. 50 TI = 10 EP 75 TI = 15 EP and GM TI = 20 EP
You also gain 50 % time reducing at GM TI. 1,5 sec casting timer on purple pots and 5 sec delay on heal pots.- This is if you can combine it whit GM alchemy

Item id. Gm II combined whit gm craft skill and gm armslore will let you set the propertys from runics you self. Example would be that you get 3 propertys. 1 =30% 2 50%. Now you pick the propertys you self and ad it to your crafted item.

Forensic. If you are GM forensic you can use your skill on a corps(player corps) and now you get a DI and SDI bonus against the killer for 30 min or the player dies once. This only works if a player is inocent killed.

S

Sip-n-Shine

Item id to work like it use too. An armslore I miss the messages you use to get from armslore.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh, I thought about adding Stealing to the list, but boy-howdy, what a can of worms *that* would open.

Stealing/Thieving needs it's own poll, methinks. But I'm not into the playstyle enough to come up with a good one, so I will leave that to Rico or Chad Sexington. ;)

C

Coppelia

Not a lot of people use Herding because it doesn't fit to their playstyle or don't know it. Not speaking on how it's dreadful with positive karma creatures, but just with Animal Taming it's a must have for taming sessions.

A skill you forgot is Remove Trap. Telekinesis killed it, and that was for the best because T-Hunter templates are easily cramped.

As 120 in a skill has become the new norm for the scale of difficulty while we're still stuck to 700(720) skill points, it's ok to remove some skills IMO.

P

Prince Caspian

Begging isn't dead it had content with trick or treating putting it on par with the fire horn bards have had in the last 8 years.

I picked other - bard skills in pvp should be implemented fully to counter tamers.
Begging would be incredibly easy to give a facelift to -- get a few items that can be acquired by only a GM beggar and only rarely at that (the craftable gems come to mind here).

Easy. Begging is back in swing.

H

Hunters Moon

I voted 'taste ID'. I have posted a couple of ideas to introduce a brewing skill for the players on the old forums,and taste ID would be a very important skill in making ales and wines.

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do like the idea of being able to get some kind of useful item through begging. They added in some new items a while ago and the lantern is the most rare of them, but come on, who carries or even uses a lantern now? The ONLY reason you can even sell any of them is because there are only two kinds of lanterns that flicker when a vendor holds them.

The other being the old PP tinker made ones that were around for like a day after they began allowing you to tinker with colored ingots and couldn't be turned off at all so they stay lit no matter what. The GMs fixed them very quickly though so good luck finding any unless you have a stash of them from that first day.

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

H

Hunters Moon

Begging would be incredibly easy to give a facelift to -- get a few items that can be acquired by only a GM beggar and only rarely at that (the craftable gems come to mind here).

Easy. Begging is back in swing.
How about putting begging and musicianship together so you could play for a meal or gold. The title for this could be "entertainer"

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG I love that idea. That is funny and fits in so well with the old feel of UO.

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
after thinking about it, i know a useless skill that needs to be fixed. RESIST SPELLS! only thing this spell good for is to lower curse effects and to resist para. if ya have gm+ resist skill it should add on to what ur leather gives u! for example if ur suit is all 60s maybe at 120 resist u should get +10 making it a all 70's suit??
people have dropped the skill and use trap boxes making this skill worthless!

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
players should start the game with 100 begging until something is done about inflation

oh wait, scripters nvm

i love herding

camping should make a nicer looking campsite :)

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Definently item ID, or just get rid of it, it is the most pointless skill as far as I am aware of, at least the other skills you mentioned still serve a purpose and I use them to bring up my stats..

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I voted begging. This could have some really 'great' things done to it to make it a skill worth taking up. Some suggestions:

Have 'rare' drops when begging of 'set' deco items:
eg painting sets, pot plant sets, mini animals like squirrel statues etc, stuff you can 'collect' that stands alone as an item in its own 'right' but which when you get all the set may form something really nice like a 'named' Painting, Tree or Statue. (similar to the obsidian statue combinations' This game really needs some 'new' collectable and trade items to encourage interaction. It would be nice to actually see something other than obsidians or the current range of 'artifacts' be able to be collected and added permanently to the game.

'really rare' drops of select 'artifacts' such as weapons or armor bits.

'really rare' drops of shoes, aprons or earrings with some minor mod.

Maybe a slight increase in the amount of gold dropped to make it worth the hassle training it lol.

The other thing would be to be able to 'beg' for your life when near death at gm begging, lol, make the monster leave you alone and run away :)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Item ID because it's the one skill right now that truely does NOTHING.

The rest while they may have very limited uses, they at least have a use.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
item id does something, if it brings back a 0 price that item is an old newbie item.
i just checked some of the stuff i had in my bank and i have a newbie dagger and a pair if scissors i didn't know was newbie.

S

Sheridan

I use GM Forensic Evaluation on my Stealther to identify who killed who on the battlefield for occasional news reports. Might be nice to see a boost to that skill and other uses for it.

F

Fink

- Begging
Needs no revamp, possibly more beggables from elves or human npcs from time to time but otherwise it's a complete skill. It shouldn't be used to get uber leet items (arties? lol) it's BEGGING.

- Camping
Working as intended. Perhaps add some sort of rejuvenation effect for members of your party when you set up a secure camp, better based on skill level?

- Forensic Evaluation
Still valuable for the odd character here or there, I don't use it so I won't comment. Would be nice to see gm detectives running about making a difference. CSI:UO?

- Herding
Anyone who thinks this skill has no use has absolutely no idea, and I'm sure most shepherds would prefer it stay that way, too. Brilliant skill, one of the few remaining where you actually have to learn how to effectively use it rather than just gm it on a golem. Needs a targeting bug fix for KR, but otherwise it's fine.

- Item ID
Could use some love after AoS. A while back I suggested the ability to calculate a suit's total mods, but KR's sort of done that. Perhaps a more comprehensive "lore" type report, something that could be inscribed on a scroll. Love the professional title, perhaps it could cut you deals with npc's?

- Taste ID
Helps when you have a stupid load of potions that won't stack. Uhm, more work for this skill I guess? Give it the much-requested brewing?

*edit*

If you make any non-mainstream skill more attractive, people will whine about "having to" cram another skill in their templates much like they did with Arms Lore. So.. yeah, all the more reason to doooit. :D

T

T_Amon_from_work

Let's get some ideas on bringing back some of UO's unique skills that have fallen into disuse.
With a bedroll, kindling and JoAT Camping is still viable for logging out in the wilds. I do it every so often ... even tho I have a keep.

V

Visago

I'd suggest a change for camping since with all the ways to recall home, who needs to camp out in the wild?

My suggesting for camping would be to allow players to create a camp site (think the old tents we use to be able to place) that is temporary. The camp site has a bank box in it that allows players access to store loot. This would remove the need to recall back to the bank/home to dump items while at the same time isn't as overpowered as being able to just send items back with a BoS. Based on the skill of the camper, one party member can also use the camp site to access their bank. The scale could be set to the max size of a party.

Camp sites could remain in game until disbanded by the player or until the player logs out. That way the land scape doesn't get cluttered with tents like it did years ago. Something like this would be usefull in Ilshenar since you can't recal back to the spot your hunting in. And places can be fairly remote. Tents should also be limited to just above ground spots, no camp sites in Doom please....

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Herding
Anyone who thinks this skill has no use has absolutely no idea, and I'm sure most shepherds would prefer it stay that way, too. Brilliant skill, one of the few remaining where you actually have to learn how to effectively use it rather than just gm it on a golem. Needs a targeting bug fix for KR, but otherwise it's fine.
I have gm herding on my thief. It gives me no end of pleasure to go to fel destard and herd ALL the dragons to the entrance. Watch the PK's faces when they pop in and BOOM!:cursing:

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
herding isnt dead? what is the use of herding today? i also think there should be a refresh of item id, for example make found items unidetifed or so.

D

Dragon Slave.

I have a few suggestions-

Item ID- Renamed and new use, the higher your skill in this new skill slot, the more vendors you can have/controll. GM Merchant, your able to place maxium ammount of vendors, and have a lower vendor pay scale or something to that extent. Alot of room to toy with this idea, but it should be tied to the merchant title, and the ammount of Vendors you can control/place.

Camping- Make it more useful, I say a GM camper should be allowed to pitch a tent, like the old school tent deeds. And get a bonus towards cooking and tracking skills. Or something to that extent. Alot of things can be done to make some of these skills more fun and useful. Just some of my thoughts.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bring back Forensics and the Detective class. From time to time a good one would show up on siege and actually present some fun times running around trying to get away from them. They seemed to work best in groups of two...la