• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll: Power Hour changes!

G

Lol im starting to like all this hehehe..

back to the old days,

WB veterans,

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.destiny.xs3.com> Visit Our Guild Site </a>

G

*realized provo just got harder to gain*
Damn it!

<center>
</center>
<center>A Nation's Prayers for the family and friends of lost ones</center>

G

So far for your money making days hehe

AAh this is the balance they were talking about, and gold sinks , hehehe

LOL

harder to raise skills, is: bring magery to GM, will cost you again 180K on regs

etc etc LOL

G

I never really made any money, even with a high bard I'm still poor :)
Nah someone will find a loophole like 8x8 and find a way to GM things fast.

<center>
</center>

D

DeadCal

It doesn't even seem to work properly though. My new tamer and my scribe have had appalling gains since the changes. There may as well not be a PH now.

Lady DeadCal - Warrior/healer - kill or cure
Lady TerminalCal - Tamer/Mage
Kitty DeVine - Entertainer
Jones - Miner, smith, alchemist, inscriber, all round reg furnace

G

lol

who knows.

bugs wil always be there..

I

Ingesticide

Ya know? There's so many tricks and bugs and things like 8x8 and all, that even resist has its methods to be brought high quick these days. UO skills are almost now meaningless, there's a trick to GM just about anything with good speed.

<center>

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity,
and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
-H.P. Lovecraft</center>

X

xor_conan

I like the new changes, like someone said ealier
"Having tons of real world responsiblities" this system is easier for people who have lifes

G

indeed

remember the old days too huh
hehe

Hay, i got my vet rewardz. :p

*Grinz*

C

Captain Newbie

the phone rings. a guy (some ppl would call him bofh) picks up.

Yes, hello? - Ah boss its you. - Yes, i know the computers arent working. - Why your asking. Seems to be (looks at the excuse calendar) some strange kind of computer virus. - Well, you can use the typewriter in the office next to yours - Oh, please no reason for yelling, cause the computers did not totaly breakdown, they are working for one hour each day.- I am sure that youll find out at what hour they are functioning or ask your vendor. - When will i fix it? No, no, fixing it would just take too much time. Its not worth it. And by the way we have a lot less useless network traffic, youll get your files a lot faster. - Stop yelling, please its really a lot better that way. - No i wont come to your office now, i am going home, my power hour is starting soon. - What? you dont know what power hour is? its the thing that OUR gods gave us. - No, no, you dont understand not just a god, its OUR GODS.

Hangs up the phone.

G

i think it is stupid as it will piss off a lot of people, even thoughs who don't consider themselves powergamers but would like to use poer hour when it suits them.personally i don't care too much, i can live without working skills every day, and i think it will do a few people good to get out of the "i deserve these esay skill gains every day" mentality.

IMHO, scrap power hour altogether. I think that the idea of gaining off failures has a fatal flaw that means it should be scrapped: if you know you will gain off failures you will do everything possible to fail (enter a whole bunch of "exploits"). I think it should work like this:

power hour:
increased reasonable chance to gain from succeeding from the "hard things"
reasonable chance to gain off the "things you can succeed at 50-70 of the time at"
low chance to gain from the easy things

increased chance to gain off failures of the "hard things", but cannot gain off failures more than 3 times in a row, after 3 gains in a row off failures, you cannot gain from failures again till you gain off a success.

still gives good gains, but makes it far less exploitable.

<font color=27408B><center>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/eek2.gif **The only way to shut me up is to ban me or make me a mod** /php-bin/shared/images/icons/eek2.gif

aaaaaarrrrgh B.E.A.S.T.I.E, B.E.A.S.T.I.E, B.E.A.S.T.I.E, B.E.A.S.T.I.E!</center></font color=27408B>

R

Roke of Sonoma

OK, so now if you're, say, 10 minutes into power hour and you lose your connection and it takes you 5 minutes to log back in, you have 45 minutes of ph left, or no ph left at all?

OSI has screwed up. Considering what ph was originally intended for, there is no way anyone can say this has been an improvement (see Puppy's post above for a well stated argument of this point). For those of you who don't seem to mind that OSI has made of feature of the game worse than it used to be, please do not complain when they also screw up the feature you currently can't live without. It's not a question of if this will happen but when, and when it does, you will have given up your right to complain about it if you're indifferent to this current situation. If OSI changes for the worse ANY feature of this game, every paying customer has good reason to be angry about it.

Roke

G

yes waht they ahve done is stupid because, as i said it will piss off not just the powergamers, but those who just want to be able to use powerhour *when they want it*

"please do not complain when they also screw up the feature you currently can't live without" - are you trying to say that because i don't mind living without power hour and have not complained that i now ahve no right to complain about things i do care about? that makes little sense.
If it were up to me power hour would be very different, as i asid in my previous posts, i'd make it reset at 12, or server up, and it would not allow insta gms like we have now, then i would have more consistant gains outside of power hour, but on a ROT basis.

<font color=27408B><center>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/eek2.gif **The only way to shut me up is to ban me or make me a mod** /php-bin/shared/images/icons/eek2.gif

aaaaaarrrrgh B.E.A.S.T.I.E, B.E.A.S.T.I.E, B.E.A.S.T.I.E, B.E.A.S.T.I.E!</center></font color=27408B>

M

Martyr - Cat

They should flat out do away with the ph and let us go back to the old days.

Just an opinion.

G

sorry but macroing was jsut as bad, the anti macro code should stay but 8x8 should be eliminated and power hour should be re-thought.

R

Roke of Sonoma

I guess what I was trying to say, brave, is that everyone, regardless of how they feel about ph, should be pissed off when OSI screws up. If someone has an idea on how to improve ph, or someone thinks doing away with it all together is an improvement then that's fine. But if someone doesn't care that OSI screwed up because this particular problem doesn't affect them then some day, when they are crying about a problem that does, I will have no sympathy for them. There may be some people who think what's happened to ph is an improvement, but if they're out there, I haven't read an argument from them that is more convincing than Puppy's (who I cited in my first post).

In summary: There is good reason to be mad at OSI whenever they screw up, not just when the screw up affects you, because we are all paying good money for this game, and therefore deserve a quality product.

(BTW in case you thought otherwise, my first post was not directed at you in particular, yours was just last in the list so I replied to it. I was not commenting on anything you said, but on what any apathetic poster on this thread may have said in any post.)

Roke

PS - Does any one know what happens when your ph gets interupted? I realize it doesn't start back up where you left off, but do you get whatever time is left in your hour?

G

once you log in, you ahve an hour of power hour. so if you log in for 1 min then log out, the counter is ticking. if you log in 20 mins later you ahve 40 mins left.

L

Lady Malynn

I really dislike the new PH system. My main issue is that the future ph start times depend on the start time you establish today. I sometimes work late irl. If I log in the character I'm working on, that establishes her ph start time later than I really want it to be. I worked late twice last week, so I didn't log that char in at all and missed ph's all together.

I'm a morning person, and love the stat gains at server up on Saturday and Sunday mornings. But, now that means I have to not log in my char at all on Friday if I want to take advantage of ph's on the weekend mornings.

Another incidence this week. A friend wanted armor repaired late on a weekend night this week. If I logged in my smithy (I'm trying to gm tinkering on her), I would establish ph at 10:30 pm.. no way I wanted to do that.

All this inconvenience in one week of ph for one UO player.

I really hope the dev team rethinks this. Just be big about it, admit the goof, revert, and let's move on.

<font color=blue> GOD BLESS AMERICA</font color=blue>

<font color=red>Vanquisher of the Arachnid</font color=red>

R

Roke of Sonoma

Another question. I've noticed that I can log on and I don't hear the "start" sound for a couple minutes. If I log back off before I hear that noise has my ph started or not?

I used to think OSI wasn't so bad and I wondered why everyone complained about them so much. Now I know.

Roke

S

spinkickr

hrmm, good question

id have to say, no, but it your waiting that 5 minutes to log out, when it happens, then yes

<center>Chung Sin Il Do Ha Sa Bul Sung</center>

G

"I think that the idea of gaining off failures has a fatal flaw that means it should be scrapped: if you know you will gain off failures you will do everything possible to fail (enter a whole bunch of "exploits")."

You've forgotten that you also gain off successes. You've forgotten that you still have material losses with failures. Or have you never played a smith or a tailor? The only difference between power hour and regular time is the CHANCE to gain off failures.

Much like real life. It's called "practice." Ever try to learn to play a musical instrument? How far would you get if you only learned when you played things correctly? It's hitting the bad notes that gives you feedback that you need to do something different and it's at THAT point that learning occurs.

If UO was to be more realistic, you would be gaining off failures all day long, not just for a single hour.

No bartenders--FIX THE BUGS! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/disgust.gif

Real men don't use UOA.

I renounce all facet citizenshipry. *you see Cynewulf, the Man Without a Facet*

Explorer 93%, Socializer 60%, Achiever 46%, Killer 0%

G

my post must have either gone totally over your head, or you are a power gamer....

the fact is that power hour REWARDS failing, im thinking about magery here: you fail you gain, you go forward eight, you fail, you gain, you go forward eight, etc etc etc... that is the flaw, and changing it so that you cannot gain from failures more than 3 times in a row will be a vast improvement to the system. i dont have a problem with learning from mistakes, i do have a problem from exploiting the flaw in the power hour philosophy.

<center>
</center>
cus we're three mc's and one dj, and we be gettin' down with no delay, so mix master mike, what ya got to say?

G

Ah. So your real problem is 8x8. You should have said so to begin with. As I pointed out, in RL your skillgains come from failure. I see nothing wrong with that happening in-game. You're real point is that you feel that 8x8 is exploiting that. Valid point.

Power gamer? I can only play on weekends. In other words, I may be able to do about 4 power hours a week. Currently I'm training resist. Against monsters because I don't do magery. If that makes ma a power gamer, so be it.

And now a totally unrelated question: do you use UOA?

Real men don't use UOA.

G

i have issues with 8x8 and power hour, i think there are much better ways to allow "reasonable" skill gains without rearding those who will do everything they can to fail (factions exploit eq scroll trick for eval and so on).

Do i use UOA? lol, yes, but only to apply bandages, drink pots and change weapons. I suppose real men dont use UOAM either? pre empting your reasons for not using UOA, i think power hour is far worse for the "life" of the game than UOA.

<center>
</center>
cus we're three mc's and one dj, and we be gettin' down with no delay, so mix master mike, what ya got to say?

G

I don't know whether real men use UOAM or not. I use the map that came in the box and all my characters have a sextant.

I agree. It would be best (and I've said this until people cringe when I say it again) that people should be able to gain skills reasonably while simply playing. Wouldn't it be nice so be able to GM Healing, for example, by simply fighting monsters and healing? I'm trying to GM healing on Sonoma. Yes, I could jump on a boat and 8x8 it in a few hours. I've read here that when you hit about 77.0, to jump on a boat and do it.

I once had a healer at 96.4 for six months without budging. Not even all the resurrecting at the Trinsic invasion helped. I finally gave up, jumped on a boat, and GMed it (in five excrutiatingly boring hours). They may have tweaked now so it is no longer broken. My Sonoma healer passed 81.0 this weekend from simply playing. During power hour the gain was 0.3. All from successes, by the way. That kind of gain is acceptable to me. No reason go jump on a boat if I can see some gains while having fun.

But if it's only 0.3 per hour at 81, what is it at 91? 95? Will I be going for another six months without a gain? Before going and getting rid of power hour, 8x8, or any of that other stuff, something needs to take place first. *points to signature* Yep, the bugs have to be fixed.

The skills may be broken, but by God we have the bartenders we've been clamoring about.

Real men don't use UOA.

G

well we agree.

and UOAM is not as much fun as the map that came with the game, but at the same time i'd rather let UOA and UOAM map out the housing on shards than try to draw it in myself on that map. It's also reasonalby useful in ilshenar, altough i'd prefer it if there were some markings to say where things are... wont stop me dying but might help a little.

<center>
</center>

K

KITH

Well I been playing thios game for along time,as many of the peopel who says they dont care about ph, hmmm I wouldnt mind them removing it , but making it being unusable by some thats not cool, I have 4 accounts, and its more than apin to keep track of when ph last was on all those, and for those, i dont need a 7 x gm char, hmmm I played this game for, oldest account say's 46 months, but I dont have a 7 x gm , I have alot of 5 x gm's and a few 6 x gm's , but if you gonnag play stuff like factions, ya wont get wery fare with ya 2xgm old shool mages, well unless ya a speedhacking SOB, so they either fix the danm thing, and by that I meen make it usefull to all players , or freaking get rid of it, I myself would prefer ROT , but thats me

Explorer 73%
Socializer 66%
Killer 33%
Achiever 26%

May your path allways be green and golden

( ARGH NO IM NOT ENGLISH, I'M ELVEN , SO LEAVE MY TYPO'S ALONE, ARGH HUMANS )

V

Vorlani

I think this is mostly affecting those people that play all the time and used to set up power hours back to back on multiple characters. Having played three accounts all of which are nearing four years, and only playing aproximately 3 hours a week anymore, it does not make a difference to me. I only use a single power a week if I am lucky because I do not get the thrills off of seeing numbers rise ever hour im available to play. So goes it i suppose, but I do agree that is mostly the 3 hour 5x warrior/mage players that are complaining about this =P

M

megreebo

The power hour changes are no big deal. However, since the Vet Rewards have been released some folks need something new to complain about. Guess this is it. Lighten up folks...it's just a game!

J

Jimmy_of_SBR

Powerhour was originally implemented to make up for alot of skill problems late last year (or year before? can't remember) when we'd go weeks without seeing gain in some skills. It just kindof stuck around and became the new status quo. IMO, it was more rewarding (albeit much slower) before powerhour, and I think it's spoiled us. After 3 years of being a 'casual' player I've watched most of my companions ingame become unavailable to play due to the fact they're maxing skill gain...and then logging. UO has lost some of it's flavour to the fast n' easy skill gain track, and I think the proposed changes will help even things out alittle. Who'd rather adventure and gain skill alittle rather than sit in a house and poison/heal themselves? Quite a few, I think.

There's more to this game than maxing some skills then bragging about it. Everyone's in it for different reasons, and the new proposals aim at making skill gain into a more 'even' and manageable system for everyone. Sure, everyone cries about it now...but how many of those people actually gm'd multiple skills before powerhour was implemented (or more to the point, were around)? The old timers still remember what a challenge it was, and the feeling of accomplishment that went with it.

As for now, even a lazy, 3 hour a week player like me can gm a skill quickly and then flaunt it at the nearest bank.

Jimmy

*Prepares for the rants and general babble that follows someone reading someone else's opinion that isn't their own*

G

Power Hour (officially known as "Burst Hour") came to pass early last year, slightly before UO:R was released, in what we called the "skills patch" which also introduced skill locks and non-macroing code (which led to 8x8).

This poll was created BEFORE the latest announcement of GGS (which, in my opinion, looks suspiciously like ROT).

Real men don't use UOA.

S

spinkickr

you noticed that too? eehehe

<center>Chung Sin Il Do Ha Sa Bul Sung</center>

I

Isulminous Karan

i have never cared for the power hour, nor will i ever, however this new system in concept, the GSG thingy ... thats great, cause now you can do what i have done for the longest time now and still gain skill ...

"You better not hope ... you better know."

D

Dcats46

Now would be a good time to revert to the good ole days. No ph, no tenths shown. Give it a year, and then ask if they would like a powerhour again.
Makes you feel good to know you gmed something the hard way :)

Let the children cry /php-bin/shared/images/icons/sad.gif When they get on your nerves, give them a bottle, they will go to sleep /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

B

Brior Quickstep

...Me and my friends are definetly leaving UO now since osi finally nerfed even PH. It gives the game a fine meaningless never accounted for ever in any game. What where they thinking off? Thou may only learn after a certain time,and in between thou art a moron...So osi, we are morons, we get our gains in Dark Ages of Camelot instead.

*makes a peacesign and lites some herbs from Papua*

Hu....!!!???
Nope not my dragon sorry

P

Phantom Rose

LOL well so you quit and that creates less lag for the rest of us...buh bye! :) How stupid is this? Think about it people. I love that I get an hour to actually gain in something that seems impossible! The only gripe I have is that we cannot choose that time. I posted in another thread about choosing when we take the ph and if that could be done... WOW how cool! But to quit playing the game because of this is just dumb and I think you were looking for a reason to quit in the first place. You won't hurt Origin by quitting cus for every one of you there are 10 more out buying the game as we speak.

G

I said to fast that i didnt like the changes in the power hour.

Now, when we have the option to say powerhour, it makes things easier.

I am happy now with this system as it now is.

Greets

Allright Kupo!

G

yeh ..cant see why anybody would quit over *changes* even the suckiest of em..cuz we all know sooner or later a change gets changed ..and often there is a patch that patches a new patch etc etc..its like the weather..if ya dont like it ..wait..it will all change again...again ! :) Now IF I am in the mood to up some skill on some chr. yes I LIKE that chr to actually GAIN from working the skill or skills I would like them to up. With this new change..and my work sked. all I did was kinda juggle some chrs around ..so no biggie for a couple of 24hr periods they got nada..cuz basically I was *stacking * the few whom NEED help most ..to be able to have a ph when I WANTED THEM to..now I have it so those 3 chrs. are back to back when I get off work :) DOH just move chrs around when ya have time to play em..log em in dork around log out..oh my that chrs NEXT ph is now.. that is all I did..just moved the chrs time to when I felt like dorkin with PHS.and now I have 3 set up for phs when I want em to have ph.it just took blowing some time PLAYING the game ..not phing to juggle em to a time slot I prefered for PHing chrs. Im trying to get my fisherman to also be a chef..silly lil thing he wants to do cuz never had a chef ..no biggie I juggled him around time wise so now I get off rl work log him on and IT IS his ph now at 11pm every 24 hrs period..and he cooks :) skills fly np :) Concidering I had to move his tail from 8am to 11pm no easy task :) but I did it. Now my QZ chr is basically FINISHED in my opinion only a few things I plan to up in her skills..If I log her on and get the ph and I feel I need to restock her many vendors..pfft screw ph.. no biggy..to me..yet IF i want her resist to up get two choices..dont restock go slap some monsters restock after ph or..skip a whole day not use her and up her resist when say game hubby gonna be on to heal me while I smack the stuff to up the resist.:)So with that chr its a bit trickier IF I want to ph with her..but pfft dang it this is a game...I have 10 chrs on two accts and at this point I could care less if it their ph or not..if i WANT to use the ph then I will do that..and if I want to just go play another chr NOT in ph instead that IS what I do. The other day it was a ph for a chr I have needing to gm lbjk she close .. but some friends wanted to smack daemons with warriors...coulda taken the one NEEDING TO UP skill ..or pfft take the one that can drop a daemon as she is now.. hehe np took the pro :) I just do NOT see why peeps get bent out of shape over phs or skill uppings..every chr can use work..and yet every chr is also for playing something..it is up to us what we make of our time..and up to us whether we want to use it wisely ..or dork about..and /or one CAN just juggle your chrs about that NEED the work..give it a week and those chrs ARE STACKED ready to go when you are ready TO PH each one , one right after the other. Thats what I did I just moved the ones needing the most work around the 24hr timeperiods and wallah presto..the ones most needing PHS should I so opt to use em are now stacked tog in a row IF i want to ph them. I also like the feature typing in the word *powerhour* giving me a clock to work with..to do whatever I need to do and tells me what I needed to know to ..juggle em and move em about to suit MY timing...sure beats the lag of the entire planet at midnite every nite doing ph same time..now IF I want em..they are on MY timing..NP ! Works for me..but then most times I rather PLAY than be some gerbil on a wheel uppin skills uppin skills uppin skills..afterall I gmd tailoring whilst ophidians and terras invaded Delucia fel. with no ph lots of untimely deaths to get that 100.0 but dang it..I was determined to gm tailoring on a warrior and did so no pH back then no oil cloths nada..and suffered invasions from fatal things IN TOWNS at that time ..no matter ..in my opinion if ya WANT to gm something yu will. Just some skills got majorly messedup and they needed to do something to try to help up skills..thus the ph ............................well anyhow it is going to be what yu make of it..just like the entire game is that way...work work work or PLAY&gt; up to yu ! As for me.. I play the game.. !

<center>

N

naxor

I took like 30 minutes to get a password and login just for this post

I HATE THE NEW POWER HOUR!!

Here is why:

Dear OSI hopefully constructive - youve made a great game but this is one thing you should seriously consider - I hope you read this

originall, power hour was designed for players who dont play ALL day - so they could still gain skills reasonably - the new changes have done exactly the opposite! -
take me for example- a good representation of a player who doesnt play a ton - maybe 1-2 hours, 3 or 4 times a week
presumably power hour was desinged to give casual players like me a fighting chance against people who play 6-8+ hours a DAY
So - heres what happens - when I used to play sometimes it would be in the morning - somtimes in the afternoon, sometimes evening - either way, I'd always get a powerhour
Now I find that I get one about every OTHER day - I ussually will play in the evening - then the next day when I play in the afternoon I dont get one, worse, if the NEXT day I am playining in the morning - I will miss a THIRD day
Meanwhile the - people who play all the time get power hour after powerhour every day - this was the advantage PH was designed to prevent
I see people who play all the time saying - "Ok just 6 hours 20 minutes till my next PH"
this is not what it was designed for
I know the new servers have to account for some time difference and the PH change was made so as not to inconviencence certain players but I can almost guarantee that these players are not casual ones like me but power players who play all day
I suggest that the PH be made a once per day thing- if the particular time of day is 3pm or whatever that is still better than the 24 hours of play time and I can almost guarantee that this is what will give the most players the most opportunity for PH - and thats the goal

thaNKS!

K

krazykilroy

GEEZ!!!

1) <blockquote><hr>

This change is very dumb. I do not have the time to keep a log book of when each of my chars logs in and when he is in power hour. If I play at 5pm one day the next day my ph is at 5pm, but if I log in late at say 6pm, now my PH is at 6pm. The next day I cant get in till late, like 10pm, now my Damn PH is at 10pm each day unless I decide to skip a day. The I can start the entire nightmare all over again. The only way this will work if there is a green light or something on your paperdoll that lights up during PH. This is just messed up.

<hr></blockquote>

this is how it happened everytime with the original powerhour setting at 12 AM. When I came home at 5 PH was at 5, the next day if I didn't start until 6 PH was at 6. Yes sometimes you will miss a PH or 2, but it was meant for the casual gamer

2) I can tell when PH will start by saying "powerhour" this way I don't have to log in and waste 10-20 of PH time buying GP kegs to work up poisoning. I also don't have to shut off the game at 11:55 so that I don't waste my PH.

K

krazykilroy

<blockquote><hr>

once you log in, you ahve an hour of power hour. so if you log in for 1 min then log out, the counter is ticking. if you log in 20 mins later you ahve 40 mins left.

<hr></blockquote>

this was the way it has always been as well. just now if you come home from work and log on you're not immediately thrown into PH like the good old days. I only see that as a good thing, when I don't have to go, "oh I forgot to get _____ to work on my PH"

G

I think its good, it keeps the whiners out of the game like u.

Socializer 73% Killer 73% Explorer 33% Achiever 20%

B

blpjmiller

I believe that if the goal for skill gain is to encourage "normal" play, then this would be a good solution to achieve that, without taking away powergamers gains, or taking away casual players gains.

1. Powerhour concept gone completely.
2. Gains only on success (beyond 70 skill) of a similarly difficult action for that skill (where relevent)
3. Rate over time concept (but not the way it used to be implemented on SP).

The Rate over time concept should be the "playing time" not the "server" or "real" time. Server or real time only encourages logging in and out periodically to get your "guaranteed" skill gain (which rendors this option useless for the goal of "normal" game play). However, if you have a setting of, say 5 minutes per .1 gain from 70.0 - 79.9, 10 minutes per gain from 80.0 - 89.9, 20 minutes per gain from 90.0 - 98.9 and 30 minutes per gain from 99.0 - 100.0 of actual playing time, then a player will have no use for repeated (macroing) use of a skill to gain their skill. At high levels, they would have a need to go do something else (on this character, in game) while they wait for their time to expire for that skill. The "something else" could easily be, using ANOTHER skill on that character.

Also, you don't have to make the skill gain "guaranteed" after the time expires, but instead "possible". So, just because you sit at the bank for 10 minutes talking since your last FS spell, you don't cast one FS and get your next gain, you may have to cast several spells before you actually get your gain, but the fact that the timer expires, means that you now have a chance of gaining.

In this type of gain system, a mage, who camps out in a dungeon, would be periodically gaining skill in magery, eval intel, meditation, resist, healing, anatomy, wrestling, just for fighting monsters in the dungeon. This would be TRUE "normal" game play, and it would allow the person to gain while their at it. At high levels, they wouldn't gain very fast, but they would surely gain every time their clock time passed, since they are using all of those skills all of the time. In this system, you would see no more mages on a boat (unless their fishing :) Currently, if you want to gain magery fast, you get on a boat, 8x8, WASTE a ton of regs, and boom, your a GM. It is not only BORING, but WASTEFUL and ANNOYING (not to mention the complete opposite of "normal"). But it is currently the only effective way to GM a mage. Believe me, I would much rather be spending my time casting EV on a drake or FSing a lich to gain my skills to GM. At least I could cover the cost of my regs.

Likewise, a warrior would gain periodically in their skills by using them over play time in a dungeon.

Mule characters would have a harder time with this system, since macroing would be really non-effective (or non-efficient anyway) unless they are filling an order. Most mule characters are working a number of skills anyway, so they could simply move from skill to skill to get their gains in that skill.

This type of system would work for both powergamers (who will continue to gain periodically no matter how long they play) as well as casual players (who would periodically gain the entire time they play, whether it's 4 hours one night a week, or 1 hour four nights a week).

I don't know about the rest of you (but I'm sure I will soon :) but I personally would LOVE a skill gain system like this. I think (certainly for me) it would make the game fun again, because I wouldn't have to worry or care about powerhouring to gain skill, I would know that by simply playing the game, I would gain skill at every level. And THAT, would be fun.

G

Let's play nice, now.

No contracts or deed--FIX THE BUGS! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/disgust.gif

Real men don't use UOA.

S

Semi

I have resisted reading all the posts. Too many... I hate this new power hour thing. It basically means I don't get access to it every day because some days I get on at 11:00 at night and some days I don't get on at all. Sucks when you realize you'll have to wait till a time when you probably don't want to be playing to get any decent skill gain. I wish they'd stop changing the way skills are gained. I know over time people who put the time in have quit over resentment of how much easier it is to gain skills they worked so long for. *takes breath*

Maybe I will read through all these posts.

Achiever 80%. Explorer 46%. Killer 40%. Socializer 33%

G

When exactly is this Poll going to end? I think its safe to say the majority of the people here hate it.

<center>
</center>

G

i really dont care about all this no more. :p

if i come on line, and type powerhour, and it said, powerhour in 2:00 hrs, then i play 2:00 hours, and then i do my ph.

whats the big deal..

lol

Socializer 73% Killer 73% Explorer 33% Achiever 20%

G

<blockquote><hr>

Most of the creatures do not release pets apart from the skeleton dragon.
The orc scenarion for example just made pets unhappy so you had to keep feeding them.The players who didnt feed ther pets lost them because it became unhappy.
I agree with you on the Ferry man scenario at Doom because a skeleton dragon does release. (dont quote me on that please)

<hr></blockquote>

It is up to players to be cautious about what they decide to sic their pets on. If they don't test the waters first or ask other people then why is it OSI's fault? Improving and expanding the abilites of monsters is what keeps UO so fresh and new.

X

Xavier_Arcanus

Whoa JC, you do realize this thread hasn't been replied to in over 2 years, right?