• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll: Pet Power Calc and GM+ Skills

Should the PPC weight skills more heavily in pets that can train over GM?

• Yes, include a higher skill weighting for pets that train over GM skills.

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No, I don't think skills are any more important than already ranked.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have no preference either way.

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Currently, skills make up a very small percentage of the overall score on the Pet Power Calculator (Pet Power Calculator | UOCraft.com).

Resists = 65% of the score.
Hit Points = 25% of the score.
Stats = 5% of the score.
Skills = 5% of the score.

However, when considering the quality of a pet, skills that train over 100 can be considered a significant factor.

For pets that can train skills over GM, would you like to see the calculator place higher importance on the quality of those skills?

If yes, please suggest how you would arrange the 65/25/5/5. (What category would you take away from to place more weight on skills)?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I evaluate pets, with +100.0 skill potential, I weight their skills according to how important they will be. For some pets, their skills carry a very high weight (Greater Dragon, 4 skills with large ranges). For others, the skills are not weighted as heavily (Rune Beetle, 2 skills with moderate ranges) compared to the other aspects you mention (hit points, resists, stats). I look at which skills can go above GM, as some skills make a greater difference in effectiveness (e.g. Wrestling). I do not think that a flat percentage for skills will work in most cases. It may exagerate their importance for some pets (and does not apply to pets that can only train to GM). I have never really understood why the skills are considered for untrained pets in the calculations.

As for the weighting of Resists/Hit Points/Stats/Skills, I agree that resists are the most important category when looking for a pet. But I think the resists are weighted too high overall. Currently (65/25/5/5) the weight of resists is over 2.5 times as important as hit points and 13 times as important as a pet's stats or skills. At 13:1 the stats and skills are negligible at best (which is unfair to high dex Rune Beetles, and is inconsequential for GM capped skill pets). I usually start with a more balanced weighting, then tailor from there. I think a good start would be 40/20/20/20 for pets with skills trainable above GM. This states that resists are twice as important than any of the other aspects, thus maintaining the importance of solid resists. The other three aspects can be massaged a bit to increase weighting of hit points, so 40/30/15/15 for instance. Keep it simple.

Stayin Alive,

BG

5% Luck

I would like to see 3 ratings generated. One for stats, one fore resists and one fore skills. If skills cap at 100 for all skills on a certain pet the quotient would read N/A.

Also If we could get the community together to find the percentage total the best of a certain pet can have or has been found and set that as the highest percentile we could have a very accurate tool An example would be say... a bake kitsuen the highest total that was verified was 88% of the total possibility. So now 88% would become the 5.0 and the break down would read stat 5.0 resist 4.5 and skill N/A.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also If we could get the community together to find the percentage total the best of a certain pet can have or has been found and set that as the highest percentile we could have a very accurate tool An example would be say... a bake kitsuen the highest total that was verified was 88% of the total possibility. So now 88% would become the 5.0 and the break down would read stat 5.0 resist 4.5 and skill N/A.
I do not understand what you are trying to say here.

Stayin Alive,

BG

5% Luck

I do not understand what you are trying to say here.

Stayin Alive,

BG
The highest possible total stat/skill/resist percentage of a particular pet type is not 100% for all types. In fact there are very few pet types that can spawn in the 100% or near range.

What I mean is for a 5.0 on some pets not only is it not likely it simply has never happened or is just not possible. If we could somehow set the 5.0 mark to the highest total percentage \that has been documented it would really help tamers out. As it is now we are acting like there is an artifact available but has never dropped. Ever.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would like to see 3 ratings generated. .
This would be best. Some people are only interested in the pets offensive output, and don't care about resists. Therefore the calculator might come back and say your pet is a 1.9 even though for your needs its a perfect 5.

A rating for skills, resists, stats and hit points would be best.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually I firmly believe that 5.0's have, and do spawn, though they are very, very rare. I have a nightmare, it is 313 HP's, 524 Strength, 65/40/40/40/29. Four points off perfection and with trained skills included the calculator calls it a 5.0, 4.9 without skills. And yes, fwiw, I got a woody when it spawned in front of me. ;):)

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The highest possible total stat/skill/resist percentage of a particular pet type is not 100% for all types. In fact there are very few pet types that can spawn in the 100% or near range.

What I mean is for a 5.0 on some pets not only is it not likely it simply has never happened or is just not possible. If we could somehow set the 5.0 mark to the highest total percentage \that has been documented it would really help tamers out. As it is now we are acting like there is an artifact available but has never dropped. Ever.
Pets are compared to the min/max ranges that it can spawn (max value for that pet being 100%). What are you implying by saying 100%? Can you provide an example?

Stayin Alive,

BG

5% Luck

Actually I firmly believe that 5.0's have, and do spawn, though they are very, very rare. I have a nightmare, it is 313 HP's, 524 Strength, 65/40/40/40/29. Four points off perfection and with trained skills included the calculator calls it a 5.0, 4.9 without skills. And yes, fwiw, I got a woody when it spawned in front of me. ;):)
There are a few pet types that do spawn @100% or as a 5.0 rarely. Some pets such as a rune beetle I have never heard of anything close to that. Maybe 85% total as a ~cap.

@barry:
when I say 100% I mean exactly that. All stats, resists and, skills(if over gm) at their max potential intensity. If you want a drawn out example just open up the hunters guide or I can post here from the top of my head within a margin of error.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just because I was curious and did the math (be aware that I made assumptions about the odds of any individual value showing up, so this can be incredibly wrong)
For a greater dragon:
The chance of perfect skills is 1 in 810k
The chance of perfect resists is about 1 in 5 million
The chance of perfect stats is about 1 in 4 billion (assuming str/int are not connected to hit points/mana, and leaving dex/stamina out of the picture)

But those numbers have no bearing on how the scale should be determined. I do like having 3 seperate scales to weigh each pet.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now, that I understand what you are getting at (thank you for the explanations):

The PPC already does rank the pets based on their maximum potential values. The values for a given pet are determined independently of each other, so it is very unlikely to find one pet at all maximum values (the perfect 5.0). Farsight gives an example of the odds to find a perfect Greater Dragon (though I have not checked his math). If you disagree with the min/max ranges of a pet's values, collect a sufficient sample of lore data and submitt the data and change (I have submitted corrections on a few already). I have witnessed that most of the min/max values for the tameable pets are correct.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see 3 ratings generated. One for stats, one fore resists and one fore skills. If skills cap at 100 for all skills on a certain pet the quotient would read N/A.
I do like having 3 seperate scales to weigh each pet.
I like 5% Luck's idea here too. I use similar categories to breakdown how I rate my pets.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just because I was curious and did the math (be aware that I made assumptions about the odds of any individual value showing up, so this can be incredibly wrong)
For a greater dragon:
The chance of perfect skills is 1 in 810k
The chance of perfect resists is about 1 in 5 million
I concur with these odds. I found the chance of perfect skills to be te same and resists to be 1:4,687,500 (same as stated). From the loring I have done, the values for resists seem to be distributed evenly for all creatures (i.e. no curves). The greater dragon is one of the widest ranging pets, so it is an example of a worst case.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about an ability for the user to set the precentages? by this I mean keeping the standard percents as a base and display the users ranking along with so you would end up with a calc rating of say 4.4 but a user rating of 5.0. Someone who knows there stuff in a particular area and becomes known for taming say Greaters and always has successful pets can provide a better indicator for those who know their reputation and still retain the calc's usefulness as a baseline for people. As I see where that is the main use of the calculator, giving a base standard to which comparisons can be made. A pvp pet can be rated different than a pvm pet and still give someone an idea of the pets overall usefullness.