• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] POLL-Does the current Em drop system need revamping?

Does the current EM item Drop system need to revamped until class balance is corrected?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone please give your honest opinion if you have ever participated in Em events.

Last edited:

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Would you mind if I created a new post with a poll that gives players a choice for what they would like the new system to be (if they indeed want to change it) based on the current responses from your original thread on this subject?

Last edited:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
2.) At least 2 or 3 months between drops.
We've talked about this so you know I disagree. I don't think making people wait 2 to 3 months to get a drop would be beneficial to the whole EM system at all.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
h
We've talked about this so you know I disagree. I don't think making people wait 2 to 3 months to get a drop would be beneficial to the whole EM system at all.
How about thoses that wait years untill they hit lucky....mmmmmmmmmmm

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1.) The item does not have to always be at the final boss/end of the story line so it wouldn't be so obvious when the drop was coming.
this very much... put a goodie on the little things now and then
2.) At least 2 or 3 months between drops.
agree with this (sorry Flutterbug!)
3.) Throw occasional attendance based items in there for extra flavor.
attendance across a single event, yes, across multiple events, not so much.... tho I always bring Ynise I know others do not attend with just one character, but then you're back to the same problem of those that show for head count at the start and whack the boss twice at the end

Blue Fly

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Less Drops??? Nahhhhhhhh. I don't understand what point this serves...

There are attendance based drops, GL has them, promotion items twice a year for attendance. Title based on how often you show up. Maybe some other shards have them?

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Less Drops??? Nahhhhhhhh. I don't understand what point this serves...

There are attendance based drops, GL has them, promotion items twice a year for attendance. Title based on how often you show up. Maybe some other shards have them?

Indeed, LS has a form of it as well. Personalized Sashes. Get a new one with your rank everytime you advance. Its a bit less organized then GL though.

Dregg

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Is it me or does it seem we have the same amount of votes as we do people who normally show up to an event. If it is a 2 to 1 favorite right now to have the system revamped then i can't imagine the total if we had ppl who stopped going to events put forth their vote.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I'd suggest the poll itself is way skewed; the way it's asked already assumes that class balance is *the* one and only fix/problem. Yes, the current system is flawed, but it's flawed more basically. It takes what should be a memento for each person at an event, and makes it solely based on the damage you inflict on one boss mob at the end. I see no problem with a 1/38 item, or whatever the attendance count is. Giving it to half, or less, or attendees, as now, is simply unfair, and not an encouragement to continue to attend events/pay subscription fees.

So I say that yes, it is flawed, but not just "until class balance is fixed".

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SIMPLY MAKE IT RNG AGAIN!!! NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS. I decided not to join these events anymore when they changed it to top-damager (and the other options). The system as it is now favors a small no. of templates and a certain bunch of people always getting the drops. Make it RNG, because RNG does not respect friends, not talents, nor strategies, not equipment... RNG is fair...

Blue Fly

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last night on ATL was a thief event. Everyone had weeks of notice to make a thief. I'd say 1/2 the number of people showed up as usual.... This was something ANYONE could have showed up to do. An event where everyone has the same chance was HALF the attendance as usual!? I just don't get it... Not to mention most of the people gave up looking for the items within an hr. If its not an easy item to get, I guess people don't want to put in the effort. I guess many people don't want to look for the items and wont make a template to get the items... Just want to show up and mosey along... I just would have though this event would be mobbed since it doesn't get more fair than this. Event started at 8PM, I found one of the last 2 at 1:30AM, It was just sitting in deceit... in plain sight... I guess people like to complain more in the hopes to get a hand out.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that event last night was a good representation of the types of players / opinions on the drop system. Anyone could have participated in that event. you didnt even need 120 stealing skill, and you can get 60pts in stealing from items (70 if you count rat form ninja tally)
BUT there was time, effort, and knowledge involved. this time not the time and effort of building a character, but of running around and knowing the lands. The attendence was very low compared to combat events, and most of the same people off the "list" got the items. even tho none of them i believe were on throwers lol.

Its not a matter of if the drop system is fair or not (its not)
Its that a majority of the playerbase will only put in minimal effort and expect a reward eventually.
This is a game. Its fun. Its been "dumbed down" alot over the years. From the creation of tram, to locking skills, all the way to mythic tokens and pinks. you can make a character from "create" to maxed now in 10mins when it used to take days or weeks.
The game needs to keep some sort of integrity to continue to be a repectable game.
Im not saying the current system couldnt use changes. but those changes should encourage improvement of skill, game knowledge, and gear. because thats what the game is based on. no on likes random. it promotes a grind mentality and apathy.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets look at it from a pvp aspect. becuase those who put time and effort into suits / template are often pvpers because if you dont you just die and it isnt any fun.

If i have a fencer that has the best gear, and have altered my template slighly to take advantage of the latest new patch and im fighting a fencer with a 3 year old suit, and nothing "up his sleeve" template wise, i should beat my opponent the vast majority of the time. If i thats not the case, theres no reason to take advantage of "real" game updates / changes in the first place. Might as well stick to collecting the latest colors of dyes.

Luck is my least favorite mod in the game.
My favorite color is blue. If all my suits are dyed blue, but i have a better chance at a drop with a Pink suit, im dying my suits all pink.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think it's fair to say about the ATL event last night. MOST people have finished chars and accts with no free spots to make a "quickie" char just for an event. Some may or may not be able to have the use of soulstones. That event to me does not touch on the current problem with EM event item drops.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think it's fair to say about the ATL event last night. MOST people have finished chars and accts with no free spots to make a "quickie" char just for an event. Some may or may not be able to have the use of soulstones. That event to me does not touch on the current problem with EM event item drops.
i have to repsectfully disagree. if you have full character slots, you have 3 mil for a soulstone frag, 10mil for shadow dancer legs, and like 500k for imbued jewels. anyone could have soulstoned off 1 skill, trained up stealing to 40 at an npc, put on stealing items and been good to go.
Anyone who does not want to invest 5 mins of gear / template change 10 or so million gold for a chance at something worth hundreds of millions should not be complaining about the current event system.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I no longer watch the EM news and announcements. I don't attend JUST because the template/drop issue... it is because of multiple reasons. While this outside of the game and not under EM/Dev influence, I also have a family along with three children that require me to be up at 6am to drive to school as well as not their extra curricular activities that for example... I will be going to their school (which is 30 minutes away-one way)... FOUR times today - the last time being 8pm tonight. With my limited time online... the last thing I would like to do with my evening is be around a bunch of immature, rude individuals who prevent me from enjoying the rp or following the story and then wasting my time either dead or extremely frustrated.

No offense to the EMs as I know most of the issues are out of their hands. You have my respect for the disrespect and annoyances each of you tolerate with each event.

To those on the "no change to em events" spectrum... please don't lump everyone into the lazy/greedy category because they didn't attend the "thief" event. Such a black and white response is not only inaccurate, but unfair.

onlinegamerstone

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
After reading the majority of posts on this subject I am more than a bit disappointed of a number of things I have seen here.

First and foremost the amount of people screaming foul that haven't been attending events for that long. I can even name a few people who have posted about the "problems", but probably have less than 5 events they have been to altogether!

Second this is apparently a problem with what "you" are getting and not what is best for Ultima Online as a whole here. Look brazenly at the solution when someone doesn't get one "no event drops whatsoever!", really? I mean really?
Let me educate you briefly about events before drops.
Being from Great Lakes I can proudly say before drops we had high attendance comparatively, we had 6 people. Yes 6 people who attended.
After drops? Well you would need an EM to count, there is now too many for just a casual count.
As items to the corpse go, there shouldn't even be TALK of this anymore, that debacle is a black eye to UO forever.
Items to random? This is apparently the "big idea" here. So apparently when I see a new character not even a paid account we are talking NEW as in YOUNG, walk in and get looting rights and get an item, that this is ok?
Don't tell me this CANT happen I can name the Sonoma event I saw it happen on!!!
Again its all about you isn't it? Lets not hide your greed lets be honest while we are at it.

What does the current system do for Ultima Online?
Have you seen the current cost of some items lately? Perhaps Mythics or transfers or undertaker staffs? All in pretty high demand, and by the way, all the items newbies buy when they want to sell back to the players to get gold.
Events is a driver of the Ultima Online economy at this point, changing them will definitely change how our economy is you can count on it. Or maybe you still think a rangers cloak is 45 mil for the 5 swing and not the 3sdi.

I do not deny at this point there is stiff competition at events, probably the toughest competition you will get in Ultima, there is a reason we see so many former or active pvprs there. Or maybe that is the problem right?
You don't like who you are forced to deal with? Either or if its not good for Ultima your idea is just bad and that's that.

Blue Fly

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Second- who are you?." -lineman

Whaaaat???? Does that matter?
Is that how you treat a member of our community for giving their opinion?
I thought you were here to stick up for the community, not alienate them. Although self-appointed...
Your looking down on people calling them "chief" and "sport".
I don't understand the antagonizing remarks towards people...

So much for keeping this constructive.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I thought you were here to stick up for the community, not alienate them. Although self-appointed...

In this case it matters because its a new account with one post (this one) and has all of the markings of a sock-puppet for another poster in this thread.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

Easy Blue Fly, lineman is just defending himself. And the "who are you" comment is because someone came in and attacked him on a new account where this is the only post. It smacks of alt account and he's just asking that whoever the real person is they should step forward and give their opinion under their known name instead of an alt account generic name.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
this very much... put a goodie on the little things now and then

agree with this (sorry Flutterbug!)

attendance across a single event, yes, across multiple events, not so much.... tho I always bring Ynise I know others do not attend with just one character, but then you're back to the same problem of those that show for head count at the start and whack the boss twice at the end
Why the 2-3 months between drops? Other than making it more frustrating when you DONT get an item (because now you have to wait another 2-3 months for the chance), what purpose does it serve? To make rare items rarer? To make the items the top 10 people get worth even more? I don't understand or agree at all.

Dregg

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I don't even think we would be having this long of a discussion if items had not reached the prices they have today. Items go for 100's of mil if not close to 1 billion now which in turn has brought in the "ringer" group of pvpers. It is not just their fault for this seesaw battle as it is for the collectors out there willing to pay for them. As much as i agree with Lineman on a majority of the issues, ( i would like to see a random drop once you hit a high enough thresh hold of dmg) you will not see the "ringers" stop trying to find ways to reach top tier dmg until it is not worth their time anymore. There is more i could add to this but then it would have an opportunity to hijack this thread and i kind of enjoy seeing what everyone has to say on this topic.

Last edited:

Blue Fly

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a rule... never assume... Maybe its someone in disguise? Maybe its someone new to the community? Maybe it is someone that wants to voice their opinion with no repercussions to their sales or purchases on this forum? Who knows for sure...
Are we assuming he was talking about lineman? Cause I don't see his name mentioned in that post. The statements appeared to be more generalized as opposed to a personal attack. Pretty sure that's why the "you" was quoted.
I am going to go with they don't want to ruin sales or purchases... as a guess of course :)

That is me taking it easy Flutter :p

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I been a member since 2008 and im new? and I was nothing but helpful in my first few post tellin you how since you said you was just coming back and had outdated everything prolly and you ignored me so I stopped trying to help you bc I saw you was gonna complain no matter what and then just started tellin the truth about it all. since atl was a stealing event last night and I didn't have a thief there should I cry about it? no just go on and wait till the next event. how about they revamp events by doin everyone drops everytime so no one will complain? I bet the high end collectors wouldn't be happy about that they like there 1in10 1in20 and unique items too much for than and personally I do too bc I like to keep a few items I get. I received several icqs from many long time regulars here saying how you've complained before this is nothing new so I left you alone. Some ppl cant be pleased

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think these threads should be locked this forum is about rares /selling/trading /discussions and clearly its no longer an opinion thread the people who don't agree with the OP are referred to as greedy. Helpful comments have been made facts have been pointed out and opinions have been expressed why go any further we are just beating a dead horse.

Its not up to "us" to decide how Mythic runs their games.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah the polls pretty much worthless.
It should say.
Yes the current system is flawed
Yes i am happy with the current system and make the most of it
Yes if there was class balance the current system would be fine

Its like... 2.5 topics in one poll. and i could give 5 answers but can only choose 1 lol. oh well hes trying.
P.S. i made 2 more suited event characters since this thread has been open.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope everyone can see the pattern here. Take a few minutes and look at all the items that have been for sale this year. Now look at the people who have a problem with this poll. Explains allot ha?. I am sure someone will have some real witty comment to follow up on this so stay tuned folks
This is getting to be redundant. Everyone knows the top templates. There are many reasons why players choose not to participate, or participate at a level that isnt optimized for drops.
The people who are getting drops could do it on any template, and would do it on any template. If Archers were no longer the best for em events and swordmen became the best (currently highest dps but low survivability) the list of about 30 people would just adapt.

I would LOVE to see skill balance but this would require probably about a years worth of work, major patches and skill alterations, possibly new spells and special abilties. It could happen. The armor changes patch was pretty huge. shame loot and reforgeing was pretty huge. bard skills, i could go on and on. Point is, its about a years worth of work from the Devs. Could it happen, yes and it would be great. but its not an easy fix. keep in mind UO is an old game with no "classes" the players have a huge variety of ways to customize templates, characters, even more so now with shame loot and reforging. Thats not going to change. This isnt wow where you can balance classes easier, because people can just alter their "class" with gear or skills.

Maybe the devs will see this and get ideas for major game changes that might take place in a year or so. Until then ill play whatever works. and everyone else will too.

No other game has anything like UOs live EM events. Its not a perfect system, but we should be thankful we can experience it at all, and have the freedom to figure out for ourselves whats the best way to achieve rewards from those events. Be it teamplay, basic high dps solo play for a chance at drops, some crazy ultra dps character supported by a healer teamate for 100 percent drop rate (split the drops). Theres tons of options.

Ill play the game, improve my skillplay and knowledge of templates. If changes come theyll be embraced with open arms as something new to adapt to.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, i stopped going to events because of the griefers, but the drop system is definetely flawed. i don't think "top damager" should be how all the items are given out. I think it would be better if in a 1/10 drop, 1 item went to highest damager, 1 item went to highest healer, and the other 8 items are randomly given out to anyone who has gone above the "minimum damage/heal requirement" for example, anyone who has decreased the boss's health by 1% or healed a certain number of HP points, whatever percentage and HP point amount the devs decide.

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again this topic should be locked lineman is losing his wits.

onlinegamerstone

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Please explain how you giving everyone something will help EM events or Ultima Online as a whole?
You can be certain if there is no more drive for competition the sales of many items including barbed kits will take a major hit.
Any idea that leads to devaluing items will most definitely have a negative impact as a whole to Ultima Online (less attendance).

If we already are seeing scripting problems on all major shards and now have openly seen multi-client scripters even on Siege Perilous (check that shards boards), please explain how this wont happen at events,
or better yet explain how these problems wont just overtake our problems we already have as most events occur in timeslots that lets face it GMs aren't on at?

Last question if we saw events go from 6 people in attendance our current numbers and we can all assume at this point they are paid for accounts, exactly how many more paid accounts are you proposing
that these not so simple changes will bring forth?
Lets face it we can seriously see unpaid accounts becoming an issue with your new system, and I don't honestly think the resources will return much if anything.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, i stopped going to events because of the griefers
My theory is that the griefers are doing what they do to drive away people.
That way the griefers and their buddies have less competition and a higher chance at a drop to sell for big bucks.
So if you wanna "grief" back, continue attending the events and give them more competition.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ah, i never thought of it that way before, your right, i may start going to some events again :)

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol everytime i read one of linemans posts now all I can picture is some prissy girl like MHMMMM *snaps fingers && head roll* sorry off topic continue on
:drama:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I kind of get a feel for how you guys operate now. You try and make the thread real trashy and off topic so it gets locked. Actually I have known this for ever but regardless. You try and poke and prod until we start to get sloppy and say something we should not have. Clever, really is. I am sure the majority of you are on vent trying to mastermind how to push my buttons. You almost had me a couple times, ill give ya that. But I have learnt from last time when I brought up the duping. It really is not that hard to out think you guys. Why?. Because your so predictable. I know what you guys are going to respond before you do lol. Whatever you respond with I will have a response with. You think I am speaking for my self but I am speaking for every respectable rares collector that has played this game. We are sick of your Monopoly and are making a stance. Get used to it!!
Do you wear a tin foil hat while you play? All of these conspiracy theories have me paranoid, I might need to get one :dunce:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh yes you must be one of the ones who contacted 4runnersport on my last controversial posts (you know about the duping). You have been pretty silent on this subject. throwing a jab here or a jab there but never really adding anything constructive as usual. Oh well at lease I know things have not changed around here as of late
You think your woe is me I suck at this game give me a better way to get drops is constructive? Be a better player it's pretty simple. Your conspiracy theories about duping are pretty far off just shows how much you actually don't know.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets just make the events as easy as possible, with bosses who drop 100+ each time. This will discourage anyone from being rewarded for being good at doing events.
I am all about making drops abundant and easy to get!

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets just make the events as easy as possible, with bosses who drop 100+ each time. This will discourage anyone from being rewarded for being good at doing events.
I am all about making drops abundant and easy to get!
We are TIRED of your monopoly. We will take a stance on this so you better players can not take our pretty pixels!

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
question is if they revamp it and when he still doesn't get drops what will he say then :p
nothing uo does will ever get lineman drops unless its everyone drops and like I said y don't we just go to everyone drops everytime? the big collectors would be wishing they wouldn't have participated in these threads then

Last edited:

Ziggers

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't understand why some people are getting so upset with this topic. I'm happy that this is being discussed and I think Lineman has a valid point. I think it's interesting what this thread shows. No it's not that some people are so immature that it's hard to believe they are even able to stay up late enough for events. It's that only 15 voters are happy with the system the way it is.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last I checked it was 54% that thinks this system is flawed to your 26%. Sorry
OMG your so right. I heard they were changing the system right away because of your poll. Good work and well done. 100 people at an event and only 10 people get item, I would say it would be voted 90% to 10% that the system is flawed! Why can't my tailor get a EM drop :(

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats because it IS flawed god how many times to I have to say this... BALANCE DOES NOT EXIST. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A PERFECT BALANCE AND WHERE EVER THERE IS A FLAW A GROUP OF PEOPLE WILL RISE AND BECOME A MONOPOLY.

Make it 200+ drops or just none at all then there will be no collectors to whine and lineman can finally enjoy/ quit the game.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats because it IS flawed god how many times to I have to say this... BALANCE DOES NOT EXIST. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A PERFECT BALANCE AND WHERE EVER THERE IS A FLAW A GROUP OF PEOPLE WILL RISE AND BECOME A MONOPOLY.

Make it 200+ drops or just none at all then there will be no collectors to whine and lineman can finally enjoy/ quit the game.
agreed

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
MY PERSONAL OPINION, AND I DON'T WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE BY SEAYING THIS:

THIS THREAD HAS HONESTLY LOST IT'S PURPOSE AND REALLY ISN'T NEEDED ANYMORE. TO FUTURE READERS... LOOK TO THE FIRST PAGE FOR MORE ADULTLIKE AND CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIZISM. IT SEEMS TO ME, THAT THE PAST 75+ POSTS ON THIS THREAD AND THE OTHER ONE HAVE BEEN NOTHING BUT ARGUING GOING BACK AND FORTH. HOW DOES ANYONE EXPECT TO GET ANYTHING DONE OR FOR THE DEV TEAM TO EVEN CONSIDER THIS WHEN ALL THEY SEE IS A BUNCH OF USELESS BICKERING?

*RIPS HAIR OUT*

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not uber suits its imbued suits that anyone with an imbuer and a few resources can make. So if you don't wanna put a lil effort to make new suits that's on you. If everyone was equal you still don't think it takes knowledge of the game to help you?
I wasn't able to make chars on every shard. I had to do 1 at a time and get items to sell and work my way up. Y cant anyone else do the same? Everyone starts somewhere

Last edited:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Shhh now look what you did you made Alex type in all caps and in red letters.
Everyone needs to calm down. The whole game needs a revamp.
The same people should not get items week after week. No matter how much
I enjoy knowing who to contact if it's a shiny that I would want to buy, I would much rather
see a few other happy shiny faces excited to have gotten a drop.
That doesn't mean I don't want certain people to get a drop (which is the way it's being read by a few)
I would just like to see a new system where at least if you do enough damage you get on the list to roll for the item.
And to be totally upfront and honest this is coming from someone who just spent a lot of gold to update her suits so that
she'd get on that top damager list. I am still in practice but I am actually getting items now, but I still think it needs to be looked at.