• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poisoning

Z

Zhao_Yun

iam at about 50.0 just started working on poisoning i was wounder if any one has an advice when i should start using greater poison an deadly an a quick why to gain.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
0 - 40 Lesser Poison
40 - 65 Poison
65 - 99 Greater Poison
99 - GM Deadly Poison

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
iam at about 50.0 just started working on poisoning i was wounder if any one has an advice when i should start using greater poison an deadly an a quick why to gain.
Several guides about this already under the thieves forum. I posted one that has one of the best methods. Poisoning is inherently a thieving trait. Not a magery one.

Z

Zhao_Yun

oh alrite my bad just one more question would i gain good bye just poisoning 1 thing or would i get better gains if i poison multi different stuff?

J

Jesusislord

Work poisoning through attacking with infectious strike. You will fail about 90% of the time when you start doing greater poison at the skill level people recommend, up till 80.. when you can poison everything with any poison 100% of the time.

Poisoning just one thing over and over again works.

I got to 80 poisoning with about maybe 10 kegs of poison. And I probably wasted a lot of resources following the guide up until the time I figured out how poisoning really works.

The guide sucks, and is outdated. Use infectious strike.

Poisoning Guide
0-100: Use Infectious Strike

Z

Zhao_Yun

hey what is Infectious Strike is the thing in the paperdoll in the purple book?

Z

Zhao_Yun

so does that mean i need to pick up 70 tactics an fencing for me to use the infectious strike?

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so does that mean i need to pick up 70 tactics an fencing for me to use the infectious strike?
Tactics is not required. I would soul stone fencing over to your mage our soul stone poisoning over to your fencer.

Z

Zhao_Yun

alrite cool thanks alot for the info what did u kill to get ur poisoning up?

F

Favith

alrite cool thanks alot for the info what did u kill to get ur poisoning up?
1) Pre-poison 4-6 different daggers/kryss
2) Make sure you have cure pots and about 80 or so poison pots (of whatever poison you're using at your skill level).
3) Go to Despise.
4) Run through the entire first level infectious striking every Ettin/Earth Ele you see. Don't wait to kill them. Certainly don't bother looting them. Just streak through and poison. Change weapons as needed.
5) Run down to the second level. Repeat step 4 with every Troll/Ettin/Ogre you see. Do the Cyclopean Warriors if you so desire. I recommend avoiding Titans/Ogre Lords and Acid Eles as they will just slow you down.
6) Re-poison your weapons as needed (preferbly via several macros you've set up in UOAssist---which makes poisoning an item a one-button push affair--quick and easy).
7) Go back up to the first floor and start over at step 4. Every now and then stop and finish off some of the poor creatures so you can get fresh spawn. Alot of times though that's not even necessary as even regular poison will kill off most Ettins/Earth Eles--and once you start using Greater poison they almost always die after one dosing.

Do this until you a) run out of poison and have to get more or b) fall over dead at your computer from exhaustion. :)

Just remember that if other people are actually in the dungeon that this method is pretty rude. You're basically hogging the ENTIRE first and second floors if you do it quick enough. I play on Atlantic--the most crowded server--and only rarely do I ever seen anyone else in there. When I do see someone else, I limit my activites to one "loop" on the far side of the first floor. Either that or I move to the second floor only where the only things people are ever interested in are the Ogre Lords (which I avoid).

So far, I've gone from 50 to 82 just doing this. I've been at it for about 2 hours every day for the past 3-4 days. Not too bad for a skill that used to be notoriously difficult to raise.

My question for those who have GM'd the skill using the Infectious Strike method--is success based on the difficulty of your target (ie, how "tough" the mob is) or can you theoretically Ifec. Strike sheep over and over and still gain all the way to GM?

If it's not difficulty based then I can't imagine a better place to work the skill than Despise. Tons of targets that don't hit too hard, don't cast spells, relatively low numbers of other players there and a large area to run around in so you can stay moving.

Z

Zhao_Yun

Yeah thanks i gm poisoning last week i just poison like 40 dagger an went to Despise an Gm there was preatty quick