• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pmog

A

Aster

I stumbled across this last night and thought it really funny - PMOG stands for Passively Multi-Player Online Game. It is an internet surfing game conducted via Firefox.

Here's the link:
http://pmog.com/

I registered but have not yet engaged. For all the random surfing I do, this seems like it might be a good, if silly, background companion.

F

firezign

sounds kinda funny. I think i'll test it and look if it's joyful or only disturbing :)

L

Lairkingo

Here's a question: should that count as an MMO? Is being persistent, a game and having x # of players enough? I feel like MMOs also need to be "worlds" and that that requires something else.... an intangible quality of sorts. Maybe we should revisit the definition?

F

firezign

I think the def. is clear. Massivly Multiplayer Onlinegame. And that it is. I think an MMO normaly just needs Worlds to put the 'x # of players' somewhere. But if that is not required, because the game has got an different concept, it' OK.
What you maybe mean is that there's interaction between gamers missing, which normally takes place in a kind of 'world'.
But there are also games which have worlds but the interaction is missing.
So I think this would be only a normal feature of MMOs but not something that requires to be in a definition.

A

al-Maroc

Here's a question: should that count as an MMO? Is being persistent, a game and having x # of players enough? I feel like MMOs also need to be "worlds" and that that requires something else.... an intangible quality of sorts. Maybe we should revisit the definition?
years ago i wrote an article for Gamespy on MMOs, and I think what really makes an MMO are the tools it has for community building and support. and i'm totally a solo player who's saying that (non-guilded in WoW or any game I play, tbh).

so i'd say an MMO is a large game world (a server that can hold at least hundreds of players min.) with server-wide accessible community features and ever-changing gameplay (content, new items, etc.)

A

Aster

Pmog has that.
I haven't gotten very far with it ... it reminds me the most of playing Assassin on campus at college. But treating the www like it is an enormous playing field is definitely an intriguing concept.