• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Please Please Post one message not 10

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
NAils illuded to this in a previous post, Its not necessary to post 10 selling posts, I kindly ask that you post 1 selling post with the items your selling in it.

I Myself much prefer to scroll down a long list of selling, rather then go to multiple pages to see what your selling.

This would also make it so with how few posts are made by individuals the need to bump would be minimized.

If its an auction thats different

There is no need to make a selling post for every item your selling though, Imagine if i was selling a box of choclates and listed all 24 chocolates seperately thats how ridiculous some of these posts are.

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
olcher used to have 1 running list, now he has broken it into like 5 or 6, I'm not really sure why, but possibly there are picture limitations in posts with the new stratics

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
At the end of the day, it's the seller's choice as long as it's not against the terms.
Your Right it is the seller's Choice and i know im a nobody But ive heard complaints from many people. And Olcher was used as a example, I love Looking at his stuff and scrolling down the list but i dont love opening 6 posts to see the same from 1 guy.

I would much prefer 1 post that i can scroll down and see everything he/she has. thats one of my main points with this discussion.

The second point would be that It would reduce the need to bump. I dont Honestly believe in this forum especially posting the name of each item in a separate thread helps you sell any more. I do think Accurate Titles and multiple items in 1 thread will show buyers maybe something they where not looking for.

This is a discussion, Feel free to weigh in on it, pros cons etc, I don't think a good reason to do it is because I can.

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
olcher used to have 1 running list, now he has broken it into like 5 or 6, I'm not really sure why, but possibly there are picture limitations in posts with the new stratics
This is possible and would be great to know if this is the problem and we want it fixed lets reach out to stratics.

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I’m tired to be seen the same thread every day.
Because their thread nothing change yesterday.
I do not want to see excessive bump thread.
so moderator's can make any limit? As of the day 1 thread per person.

Last edited:

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I’m tired to be seen the same thread every day.
Because their thread nothing change yesterday.
I do not want to see excessive bump thread.
so moderator's can make any limit? As of the day 1 thread per person.
I dont necessarily think the moderators need to step in. most of us if not all of us are adults, or mature, if there is a valid reason for "spamming" I would like to hear it, I would love to hear from the people who do it most, I wont name any names but you know who you are. and from buyers. I can see why you think if you have 6 posts your more likely to be seen, but this is the rares forums where that isnt very necessary, As i said before I would prefer to scroll down 1 page of what you have to sell rather than going to 5 pages,

So the Main offenders of this why do you do it if not to just get your name up there more?

and the opposite side is it really that helpfull for someone to post 5 titles does that make you want to look at all 5 auctions or simply 1?

Weve seen Nails make one long post and I commend him for this.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I like seeing what's for sale in the title.

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I like seeing what's for sale in the title.
Thanks Flutter,

Where do we draw the Line Oclher for Example usually does 10-20 items per thread. Where as I saw someone else today I think Smoot Do 1-2 Item per Listing, and 5-6 Listings. I think theres a happy medium

Can you Imagine if Olcher went with this concept and did 1 listing per item? That would be 2 pages of items for sale LOL.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
It's just common courtesy tbh.

When I used to give a **** about selling my drops, I would post a new thread per drop that night... Eventually I got tired of watching multiple threads and I thought it was really silly when four people's posts took up the first two pages of the rares section, and so I condensed everything that I was selling into one post... Not because it was or was not within ToS, I could care less about that... But that it took up community space and I recognized that I wasn't the only person here trying to sell pixelcrack.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Chump Thumper

thankyou for the good discussion.

Its a fine line between having your items manageable, and in a format that promotes selling, while not being flat out annoying.
Now, i posted a bunch of stuff today that ive been putting off for a while, but did have a reason for the seperate posts

More people than you would think (apparently flutter included) only read the thread title. if its a "list" many dont bother to check to see if somethings new has been added. This is especially true for very casual browsing via a phone. (also people tend not to scroll way way down on a phone)
For example: Olcher had the same item for about half the price on multiple occassions listed for over half a year, but when the same item popped up with the actual name in title, those sold. the last time this happened it was phoenix tickets. 2 actually sold for double the price of olchers which had been buried in a list for half a year.

So thats one issue.

The other issue is "New" items usually do better in their own thread. However, even then when i have many "New" items for sale, ive listed them all in one thread while just updating the title with maybe the 3 latest items. Couple months ago i had enough for sale that i thought it best to divide it into "old" items and "new" items. I generally find that once a thread gets over 10 - 15 items it can be overwhelming. Take Olcher, one of the largest rares sellers with over 200 items currently for sale, thats a list that can just be out of control and items easily overlooked by buyers.

Also some items i feel a seperate post is warranted just because of how good the item is (plus when the name is in the title, those posts show up first on stratics search and "similar threads" rather than the sub-results taken from the interior of the post.

Finally, as you said, if there could be bidding this can also influence an item getting its own thread. The 3 items i posted in 24hr auction format i decided warranted their own threads because of the diversity of the items (halloween, oldschool, bugged) if they were similar items i would have put them all in the same one.

Now, we do all like to have the first item on the page. lets be honest, having your item appear first can sometimes mean the difference between a sale, or it sitting in a thread for months. Everyone does at times sorta bump there thread if it gets buried way to quick (like if it was a heavy drop night) but excessive bumping, or bumping less than 24 hours is usually not too much of an issue in most cases. Pet peeve of mine is when the mods inform someone bumping a post when its been less than 24 hours in the actual thread, which again gives them a free bump in an already overly bumped thread for the day.

On a final note, i do try to avoid needless "bumping" in the form of "thankyou" bumps by instead giving a simple "like" if the seller chooses to give positive feedback after a sale. its especially considerate of a seller imo if its say an auction with 100 items. you dont need a "thankyou" bump for each seller involved in the auction. just my personal preference.

Anyway, just my reasoning. feel free to disagree. oh and in the trade forums, every so often i just go back a few pages and bump the stuff thats still active. i suppose i could put that all in one thread, or 2 seperate "buying" and "selling" but yeah i just bump them all out of pure laziness. if its gets to be to many ill try to condense when i have time.

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Thanks Smoot,

Ill slow down on my Responses here, I think this has been a good discussion and My hope is it will simply make everyone Think,

I believe your titles could be updated when you Bump a post with multiple Items and say the new items added, But I can definately see both sides of the ball.

Thanks all who participated, I feel the rares forum is far different than other forum in that its more of a tight nit community, I simply wanted to bring attention to something i felt needed to be thought about.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally, I would love to see people have "stores" You get your main thread going in each trade forums that is just a link to everything you have for sale. Whether that is with in stratics or not... doesnt really bother me.

You can change the title of the thread when you add a new item.

I am definitely guilty of overloading the forums with different posts, at one point I think i was bumping an auction thread, transfer thread, vendor thread, consignment thread, head of thread, guildstone thread etc etc... It got old and i stopped for the sake of not being annoying. Sales definitely went down since i wasnt advertising as well, but ultimately i dont think i was being as annoying. :)

I do agree with @Chump Thumper it sux to see 4 people take over the first page of the forrums. However there isnt much to do about it. Some people reserve posts below the original to add things (mainly pics) as you can only do 20 pics per post. For the most part though i dont think I see anyone abusing the system on a regular basis.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Side note, you can do 40 pics per post as long as Stratics isn't hosting the pic. The picture limit is a real pain. When I run auction threads, I'd far rather have a single post to edit, not also multiple replies, where the only reason for the extra reply posts is the image limit.

The real problem is that everyone's trying to use a message board as if it were ebay listings. With regard specifically to Olcher's mutliple posts, I can say that I used to look at the single unified list far more frequently than I ever look at the multiple split posts now; they've kind of become visual noise that I just tune out. The same holds true for some of the other "list" posts, when they get bumped too often. Those posts all sit at the top for days on end, and I end up treating them as if they were sticky - ie, I completely ignore them, and scroll down looking for "real" new posts.

I also have seen the "item on a list gets missed" happen; perhaps part of the answer is, if you have a long running thread, stop having a long running thread? Rewrite the thing every couple weeks, make it fresh, let the old one die off. I'll at least look once at the new one, which I might not do for the old one. That's seemed to work for me with my "looking for rubbles", "looking for EM items", and auction posts.

OT: my computer's been dead most of the week; still rebuilding it. If you've sent an ICQ and I've not replied, try me again around Tuesday - I should have everything rebuilt and reinstalled by then. :)

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do agree if you have many items for sale, break it up. I like Olchers method of by shards. Scrolling through 50 items on one post sucks.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hello everyone,

Since this discussion has come up again, I'd like to share with you a little bit of a "teaser" for an upcoming system we have been working on that will hopefully help solve this problem. The actual system is not available to the public yet but I wrote a guide on how to use it early. Link to it: http://stratics.com/ams/how-to-create-classifieds.81/

On a personal note, I much prefer looking through lists of items instead of having to open 20+ threads from the same person.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I wouldn't mind lists if they weren't edited.
I mean, if you post a list of stuff I only want to have to look at it once, not keep checking it because the items may have changed.
If you get new items make another post PLEASE!!!
I miss so much stuff because people do edits instead of making new posts. :(
If I've already read it and there was nothing for me, I probably wont re-read it. :/

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I wouldn't mind lists if they weren't edited.
I mean, if you post a list of stuff I only want to have to look at it once, not keep checking it because the items may have changed.
If you get new items make another post PLEASE!!!
I miss so much stuff because people do edits instead of making new posts. :(
If I've already read it and there was nothing for me, I probably wont re-read it. :/

I think there has been so many good points made in this thread i think this is one of them. Maybe if you do edit the lists Keep original stuff how it was and section off the new stuff. or something anyways i like it and i hope all this chatter brings attention and we can all make the best posts possible