• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please make Evasion without the limit of 20 seconds for only PvM.

L

luners

Please make Evasion without the limit of 20 seconds for PvM.
I am a Sampire.
But I can't win Putrefier because Evasion was nerfed and mana leech was nerfed.
Make friends and fight with a group?
I sometimes do so. But there are not necessarily friends when I need, and there is the time when I want to do solo.

Please make Evasion without the limit of 20 seconds for PvM, not PvP.

C

Connor_Graham

I understand the logic behind the timer, although I think the timer for PvM should be cut in half due to the fact that monsters are not players, and don't have the same limitations that players have. Namely, caps on hit points, mana pools, speed they can move, etc. Monsters have thousands of hit points, unlimited mana, and can move faster than any player can mounted while on foot. They can also cast spells faster than any player could ever dream of.

G

I velieve the problem with this idea is that outside of certain specific targeting/targeted instances, the game doesn't know the difference between PvM and PvP, so a non-targeted effect like the timer on a buff (stat buff, offensive buff (like Consecrate Weapon), or a defensive buff (Evasion), the game has nothing to determine WHY the particular buff is being used.

So outside of making is facet specific which the devs have been VERY loathe to do in many cases and why Fel has ended up with several Trammel-based changes such as instanced corpses and looting rights as opposed to the more fel-based system prior, there's no real way to make it so that Evasion can tell the difference between the two.

L

luners

<blockquote><hr>

I velieve the problem with this idea is that outside of certain specific targeting/targeted instances, the game doesn't know the difference between PvM and PvP, so a non-targeted effect like the timer on a buff (stat buff, offensive buff (like Consecrate Weapon), or a defensive buff (Evasion), the game has nothing to determine WHY the particular buff is being used.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't known this fact.
The system can't distinguish the two.
Oh my god....
Devs, Evasion without the limit of 20 seconds for only PvM, no way?
Please....

K

Kratos Aurion

As if champs weren't easy enough to solo with Sampires, but to bring back the only move that makes it an effertless victory..

Yes I like evasion but the spell has already been proven to be abused in all game situations with out a timer.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

Please make Evasion without the limit of 20 seconds for PvM.
I am a Sampire.
But I can't win Putrefier because Evasion was nerfed and mana leech was nerfed.
Make friends and fight with a group?
I sometimes do so. But there are not necessarily friends when I need, and there is the time when I want to do solo.

Please make Evasion without the limit of 20 seconds for PvM, not PvP.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I know of several PvM Samurais (yes I know I spelled that wrong) who continue to thrive, prosper, and enjoy great success.

2. I have a problem with the idea of any character, but especially a meelee fighter of any kind, being able to solo a Putrifier.

3. Prior to the changes, Samurais of all stripes were simply and undeniably over-powered. In PvP and in PvM.

I have repeatedly voiced my disquiet with the idea of major combat changes being undertaken in an (ultimately failed) effort to appease the small minority of players who choose to play as Fellies.

But, despite my disquiet, I can't really complain about the results too much, in all honesty.

-Galen's player

G

"Monsters have thousands of hit points, unlimited mana, and can move faster than any player can mounted while on foot."

Don't know what kind of crack you're on. Only Paragons or Blackrock Infected creatures can even keep up with the speed of someone on a decent comp/cable conn. Well, there is that bug where if a creature/monster crosses a serverline, it gets UBER fast and not even a mounted person can outrun them. Have had that happen to Hiryus i've been taming before. Really sucks.

G

"1. I know of several PvM Samurais (yes I know I spelled that wrong) who continue to thrive, prosper, and enjoy great success"

Nope, you spelled Samurai right.

I use my Samurai/Swordsman for both PvM and PvP, does pretty good at both. And no, i don't got Chiv or Necro on him, just straight Samurai/Swordsman. 120.0 Swords/120.0 Bushido/120.0 Parry/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM Heal/60.0 Focus. Can use a few Chiv/Spellweaving spells because of Human JoAT though.

With those skills, my Evasion lasts the max amount of time possible, 8 seconds. Which leaves a 12 Second period where i am vulnerable to spells. In PvP, most mages that are smart know to go on defensive (Healing, Running around) and do debuffs that can't be Evaded like Curse, and wait for 8 secs then go on offensive once Evasion goes down. Evasion can still save your ass in a FS spam though, you just gotta time it right.

L

luners

Are you Japanese?
In Japense shards, Sampire is most popular template.
Sampire solo Peerless, whether you wish or not.
This is the proof that many Japanese players want to solo Peerless.
And the Japanese players have over 50% of UO players.
Not the small minority of players.

L

luners

Sorry, it seems that I read your sentence wrongly.
It is hard to read and try to understand English with online dictionary....

K

Kratos Aurion

<blockquote><hr>

Are you Japanese?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) no? irrelevant to anything
2) its the most popular template for soloing anything on any shard
3) yes? why make it easier like before
4) bosses shouldn't be easy nor soloable IMO
5) statistics? facts? its annoying to have people blow numbers out of their ass w/o an official quote.. just my opinion again.

L

luners

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Are you Japanese?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) no? irrelevant to anything
2) its the most popular template for soloing anything on any shard
3) yes? why make it easier like before
4) bosses shouldn't be easy nor soloable IMO
5) statistics? facts? its annoying to have people blow numbers out of their ass w/o an official quote.. just my opinion again.

[/ QUOTE ]

1)I didn't question you.
2)The origin of Sampire is Japan. Born to solo peerless. Born at the same time of SE. Growing popular at the same time of ML.
3)Sorry, I can't understand the meaning.
4)bosses should be soloable IMO
5)See wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_online

It is written like:
Since Ultima Online's prime in 2003, the overall subscriber base has seen a steady decline. Subscriber numbers peaked at around 250,000 in July of 2003, and to date sit around 135,000 subscribers (approximately 70,000 of whom are Japanese).

K

Kratos Aurion

1)I didn't question you.
2)The origin of Sampire is Japan. Born to solo peerless.
3)Sorry, I can't understand the meaning.
4)bosses should be soloable IMO
5)See wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_online

you did ask the question. And the origin of the sampire template may have originated from japan, but its used on ALL shards. Meaning that people in every country EA supports UO in uses it.

As for understanding what I meant for #3. Before evasion was nerfed, people hated the fact it was over powered (pvp and pvm). And it was. Most people (the general players), dont like the idea of being able to solo bosses, or highend creatures. Since it is possible, why should it be any easier than it already is? So you can script your way through it?

Wikipedia IMO is a weak source for any information. It doesn't hold any official information other than what other people believe to be official posted.

L

luners

If you don't want to believe, you don't need to believe.

<blockquote><hr>

As for understanding what I meant for #3. Before evasion was nerfed, people hated the fact it was over powered (pvp and pvm). And it was. Most people (the general players), dont like the idea of being able to solo bosses, or highend creatures. Since it is possible, why should it be any easier than it already is? So you can script your way through it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any source?

Whether or not, do "Most people" which you say include Japanese players?

J

Jerry Seinfeld

Since the game can't discriminate, there's pretty much three options:

1. Leave it alone.
2. Shorten timer, change effectiveness of Evasion.
3. Shorten the timer (ie, 5 seconds for example), but induce a retro-active evasion timer that bumps the timer back up (20 seconds) whenever player-to-player damage or aggressive action flags the player.

My logic behind this is- if you can't enter a stinking moongate due 'heat of battle', they can apply similar coding to the stop-timer for evasion.

I'm sure you guys can compound upon that/modify it to perfection, but that's just my take.

G

Japan probably has more players than the US actually.
As far as evasion, yeah the timer really should be shorter for pvm, it kinda defeats the purpose when it's so long.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should only have the timer in Fel. Really, if you have the mana, why cant you cast it.

For Putre I either used a disco tamer with high vet/lore and a cusidhe, or a full Bard and provoked a Balron onto it, then other stuff and EVs. Maybe a archer running around and spamming moving shot might work too.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry, it seems that I read your sentence wrongly.
It is hard to read and try to understand English with online dictionary....

[/ QUOTE ]

If by sentence you mean my entire post, then yes I think you read it wrongly.

The "minority" I was referring to are not Japanese players. Nor American players, nor European players, nor players of any national origin.

Also, the stuff I said about no player being able to solo the Putrifier was not a statement of fact, but a statement of preference.

Your preferences clearly differ.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

G

5) Take a look at http://www.mmogchart.com/analysis-and-conclusions

Excerpt:

Ultima Online (Accuracy Rating: A)
Launched on September 30, 1997, UO experienced fairly predictable growth until April 2001, where it peaked at 240,000 subscribers shortly after the release of UO: Third Dawn. Subsequently, press releases from EA consistently quoted the 225,000 figure, and the growth was flat for over a year. It is likely that the actual trend during this period was slowly downward to the 208,000 mark in December 2002. With the release of UO: Age of Shadows, UO seemed to reach new highs in 2003 to about 250,000 subscribers, but since then has shown a steady decline. As of December 2007, UO had about 75,000 subscribers worldwide, with about 50,000 of those in Japan. http://www.uo.com/

Actually if you look under the charts and compare the WOW numbers (reaching 10 mil) and UO (declining since the 250k peak), it's pretty disheartening... UO has so much more depth and potential. It's a pioneer of this genre and the fact is, it's a 10 year old game that is still around. How many games do you think can be played for 10 years?

G

Technical part:
You can't make evasion last 20 secs in pvm and 8 secs in pvp easily. To do so, they would have to change the code to make it last 20 secs by default, until player is hit by another player. Then check it against the timer that tracks how long your evasion has been activated, if &gt; 8 secs then disable evasion. This is too complicated.

A simpler way may be doing this : Remove cool-down period but reduce the effectiveness should the attack come from a player, like how the HDI/SDI cap is implemented for pvp.

In response to some of the posts above:

I believe that evasion is overpowered in PVP and underpowered in PVM (I don't have several million of gold to buy all those darned 120 powerscrolls). The advantages that evasion gives:

1) Extra % to parry
2) Allows you to parry spells

Although I think it's underpowered in PVM and would love to solo a peerless during those many times I can't get a party together, I also believe a peerless should not be solo-able. The point of making monsters so strong is so that players band to gether to play. Making all monsters solo-able would remove all incentives to improve player interaction (some people hate forced player interaction though).

The first time I have seen (and many times there-after) someone solo a peerless is on a Japanese shard. It was a jaw-dropping moment. However - it still doesn't prove or dis-prove what the majority of the players want. Even on Stratics or the Japanese UO boards, you are only getting the opinions of the most vocal people...

Putrefier is fine though. It is solo-able using a mage (evs, and maybe throw in 2 efields in a cross to lock the green meanie in). Also solo-able with even a non-samurai warrior by jousting (and orange petals). Not to mention tamer/bards.