• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please Explain The Shadowguard Encounter (Spolier)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
well, way over a hour probably closer to 90 minutes just on Anon alone and we could just get him below half then he would recharge back up.

anyone have a hint?

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have different elemental weapons with you. When he is Earth Elemental dont hit him with Physical Attacks, Fire Elemental no Fire Damage, Snow Elemental no Cold Damage, Energy Lama no Energy Damage, Poison Elemental no Poison Damage.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ive only ever seen him go into earth elemental form.

so dont hit him when he is in elemental form??
why does he leech or something??

little hard to limit how i hit him when we are using dragons.

im really mystified why they would put an encounter in that can not be done with a group of people with dragons, thats like a staple of UO gameplay!?!?!?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Don't hit him when he is in elemental form.
why?
does he leech in elemental form?
so with pets we do what..... just pull back when he switches form?
from my 2 hours in there last night trying in vain to kill him i seem to recall that he toggles between forms every couple seconds, so your saying i have to pull back every couple seconds and run away with my pet then go back at it, rinse repeat?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has anyone else confirmed the elemental/damage combination for Anon... Specifically related to spells?

Using an elemental slayer spell book (in combination with him being discorded and corpse skinned) I was doing 200+ damage flamestrikes while he was in earth elemental form and it certainly seemed to be healing it...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ive only ever seen him go into earth elemental form.

so dont hit him when he is in elemental form??
why does he leech or something??

im really mystified why they would put an encounter in that can not be done with a group of people with dragons, thats like a staple of UO gameplay!?!?!?
His form is based on the damage type he is taking... Most attacks (especially from dragons) are physical so that is most likely why you see it most often.

Personally I am having issue confirming whether hitting him with a different elemental type than his form heals/hurts him. See my post above.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
well what im gonna do tonight if i can get the guild to go back in (they are a little bitter about last nights failure) is ill get one guy to take in a greater and one guy to take in something that hits in another area, like a Cu or something.
we can test out if that helps.

frustrating critter for tamers.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Its easssssy man! Me and my friend do it on tamers all the time. Can do the roof in about 45minutes now.

When he is elemental form just "All stop" then "All stay". Wait until he is human again and "All kill"

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When he's in Form we have one person calling it in Vent..... "STOP" The instant he goes in form all people stop hitting him, Tamers "All Stop!".... peacer area peaces and we hope he beats on a dragon and the dragon does NOT fight back.... just stands there and takes the beating..... he switches back to normal "GO" is given..... Tamers "All Kill" everyone attacks... You can kill his spawn while you can't attack him... gives something to do while you wait.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
that is just freaky!

k will try that tonight.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well what im gonna do tonight if i can get the guild to go back in (they are a little bitter about last nights failure) is ill get one guy to take in a greater and one guy to take in something that hits in another area, like a Cu or something.
we can test out if that helps.

frustrating critter for tamers.
It's quite easy. I've been taking a rune beetle/nightmare along with a friend's two greaters (multi-clienting), we've been able to get him to go into Llama Vortex form on occasion. We just keep our pets on him until he goes Earth Elemental, then we pull them off. If you bring a pet that doesn't do any physical damage, like a Cu, you can get his other forms w/out much difficulty.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ya, stopping the pets worked like a charm.
we pulled Anon right off the get go and had him dead in like 10 minutes.
same group, 2 GD and 1 pure mage.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
ya, stopping the pets worked like a charm.
we pulled Anon right off the get go and had him dead in like 10 minutes.
same group, 2 GD and 1 pure mage.

Glad we could help Poo.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
on a related note im not liking VirtueBane.
non-disordable and re-targets constantly and is sooooooooooooo fast!

had to go old school pvp mage on him and keep him energy field X locked.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on a related note im not liking VirtueBane.
non-disordable and re-targets constantly and is sooooooooooooo fast!

had to go old school pvp mage on him and keep him energy field X locked.
Tank him with the dragons and keep an invis up ready to drop on self or anyone else when he goes for them. He is a git though.

At first I didn't like Anon but once we figured out how to take him I would say he is one of the easier bosses. I like getting Virtuebane first then he is out of the way.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tank him with the dragons and keep an invis up ready to drop on self or anyone else when he goes for them. He is a git though.

At first I didn't like Anon but once we figured out how to take him I would say he is one of the easier bosses. I like getting Virtuebane first then he is out of the way.
e-fields work better, IMO, although I agree, he's the hardest. Ozy and Juo'nar are pathetic, and Anon just takes a while; kinda makes me wish there were tameables that did 100% in different elements. Virtuebane's still a PITA. Especially when his HP gets low - he has some crazy regenerative capability or something. Haven't figured out exactly what it is (and Kyronix wouldn't tell me), but it doesn't matter too much when you can prevent it from happening ;)

When I first fought Anon, we couldn't figure out why he wasn't dying. I even hit him with Flamestrike while he was Earth Ele, with an Earth Slayer book for triple digit damage. That made things take much longer.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Especially when his HP gets low - he has some crazy regenerative capability or something. Haven't figured out exactly what it is (and Kyronix wouldn't tell me), but it doesn't matter too much when you can prevent it from happening ;)
Yeah this sucks. Me and my friend had him as the last boss the other night. Got him red lined then it would just jump back up to 4% and then back down, then back up.

The next few runs we had a GD and then nightmare with a runebeetle. Seemed to work much better. I will have the try the e-fields for Virtuebane, thanks for the tips!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Jou'nar is the one that gives me trouble. With constantly pulling you in and doing that massive fire ring thing that pretty much crashes the EC it really is a pain... I've taken to sicking the pet on him and running away.... FAR away where he can't pull me in.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anon has something akin to damage eater when in elemental form, he heals up the damage you do to him in human form.
The group I hunt with calls off pets when he goes ele and mystics in the group cast sleep on him to keep him from chasing the pets as they back off with their owners. It's also a good idea to avoid using word of death - he might be human when you start to cast it, but it's a sure bet he'll be ele when it hits.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and doing that massive fire ring thing that pretty much crashes the EC it really is a pain...
Yeah this could do with a fix. Glad it's not just only me. Pretty much total lock up for a few seconds when it goes off.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah this could do with a fix. Glad it's not just only me. Pretty much total lock up for a few seconds when it goes off.
Got tired of complaining about it and nothing getting done. It's one thing that at an EM event they use all the time and often winds up crashing everyone in the EC giving everyone in the CC a HUGE advantage. But the DEVs turn a blind eye. Once again I say I honestly don't think any of them really do play UO and I am pretty sure none of them play in the EC.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The group I hunt with calls off pets when he goes ele and mystics in the group cast sleep on him to keep him from chasing the pets as they back off with their owners. It's also a good idea to avoid using word of death - he might be human when you start to cast it, but it's a sure bet he'll be ele when it hits.
That's the point. He goes Ele when it hits, but he takes more dmg than the polymorph threshold (which I believe is about 400); I use 80ish SDI and do about 540 dmg with WoD. Once he goes Earth Ele, we wait it out, then I hit him again. Speeds things up quite a bit, although I could do more with a full SDI suit. Given that the boss order is random and I'm already packing two suits (my main suit for my tamer is an imbued one with high MR, and I switch to my Luck suit once the last boss spawns), I don't think I need another one in the mix.

Also, you can just use an "All Stop/All stay" macro for Anon.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
There have been several conversations about these encounters....you think the first person/people who went in there had a clue? Did they get hints?

The encounters were meant to be figured out...what's the fun in getting all the answers?

Here's a few more clues for those of you who don't like to actually play the game and would rather have everything handed to you... :/

Bar - Use the bottles on the tables
Belfry - Ring the bells...kill the drakes...loot them
Fountain - Kill the elementals...things drop from them....think of it sorta like tetris and one of those connect the pipe games
Orchard - Pick the apples...look at the apples...throw the apples....
Armory - Kill the armor....sometimes things drop on the floor...purify them...then use them

I haven't done the roof yet
How do you putify items?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
How do you putify items?
When you are in the armory, you have to kill the the suits of armor that spawn...when you kill them they drop an item called Corrupted Phylactery. Pick that up, run to the center of the room where the braziers are:

ShadowGuardArmory.png

Double-click the Phylactery, target the brazier to purify it, then double-click it again and throw it at one of the suits of armor in the 4 rooms.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember that Anon's elemental forms are linked to the damage types of attackers.

Physical: Earth ele
Fire: Fire ele
Cold: Snow ele
Poison: Poison ele
Energy: Purple Llama energy vortex

• If your pet does more than 50% of its damage from types OTHER than his current form, you don't have to pull him off. (example: a Rune beetle vs poison ele or earth ele form, as it is only 20% physical and 10% poison)
  • If your pet does 50% (exactly) of its damage of the type, you don't HAVE to pull him off, as at worst you'll be doing no net damage (half your damage will offset the other half), but it's a good time to pull him off and vet him anyway.
  • If your pet does 60% or more of its damage of the type his form takes, then definitely pull the pet back (I use all stop, all follow me -then all kill to reengage)

Optimally, any party using multiple pets should coordinate pets to where each pet has a different primary damage.

Most pets do Physical (including most dragon/drake-kind, regardless of color, alas)
A Fire Beetle or similar pet, for fire
A Rune Beetle does 70% Energy

Cus do 50% cold, 50% energy. Similarly, Najas so 50/50% poison/physical. This means each are bad against two alternate forms, but as a team, one can always attack when the other cannot.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If trying to do the Fountain room solo, you can use the timers to your advantage.

Go in, collect canal pieces for about 10 minutes, sorting them in your backpack for easy access as you go. The fountain layout doesn't matter for this trip.

Leave the fountain, then restart it (might repeat if you have to find a good layout). The pieces are still going to be good for another 9 minutes or so. If the layout is a good one, start using all the parts in your pack to complete canals as your pet/summons kill the new eles. You should be to complete (or nearly so) 1-2 canals quickly.

Remember that you can connect the 4 spouts to ANY of the 4 outlets - it's NOT 1 to 1. You can do 3 of them to 1 outlet, if you feel like it (more common, it's both E to the east outlet, both S to the south outlet - or the two middle ones to one outlet, and the NE & SW spigots each to their nearest).

I know there's an exploit for the Fountain - and I reported it to BS, after a guy hunting with us got me and the other person with us killed repeatedly trying to trigger it, and we kicked him out of our hunting groups. The guilds that hunt together on my shard have a zero-tolerance policy for using an exploit on a group hunt (as you're endangering the whole group) - what you do by yourself on your own time is your own business - but don't do it in front of us.

For the bar: Provo is your friend - disco not so much, unless you're discoing 2 that are provoed on each other. Disco is most useful against the boss.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
When you are in the armory, you have to kill the the suits of armor that spawn...when you kill them they drop an item called Corrupted Phylactery. Pick that up, run to the center of the room where the braziers are:

View attachment 83028

Double-click the Phylactery, target the brazier to purify it, then double-click it again and throw it at one of the suits of armor in the 4 rooms.
Ty for info..