• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please, explain for me the the protection spell.

kanada01

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
hi

I have question the protection spell.

description say.

Allows you to cast spells without being interrupted. Lowers physical resistance, resist magic skill and spell casting speed cap (by 2). However casting speed will not go below 0.

is description correct?

Is it makes spell casting speed to 0 or only decrease spell casting speed -2 ?

I'm confused

please someone explain for me, the protection spell working on Magery spells and others.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It takes the FC cap to 0. So if you had 4 FC it is capped at 0 so when using protection you cast at 0 FC when using magery spells.

It does not reduce your FC it reduces the cap. But your FC can not go over the cap when used.

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pawain is only partially correct.

Protection reduces your faster casting cap by 2.

For magery, necromancy and mysticism faster casting is capped at 2, so using protection will reduce your faster casting cap to 0.

However, bushido, chivalry, ninjitsu, spellweaving and bard mastery spells have a faster casting cap of 4. Thus using protection with those skills they will receive a reduced cap of 2, not 0.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup, Max is correct. Some have a cap higher than 2. I also meant to write Magery in my answer. Ill edit that.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yup, Max is correct. Some have a cap higher than 2. I also meant to write Magery in my answer. Ill edit that.
While slightly off topic but related, on uoguide it says chiv FC will drop to 2 with 70+ mage or myst. Does this apply to real skill only? Can you use 60 mage + 60 in skill items to get to 120 and still use chiv at 4fc?

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

kanada01

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
It takes the FC cap to 0. So if you had 4 FC it is capped at 0 so when using protection you cast at 0 FC when using magery spells.

It does not reduce your FC it reduces the cap. But your FC can not go over the cap when used.
Thank you for answer.

FC cap is decrease.

kanada01

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Pawain is only partially correct.

Protection reduces your faster casting cap by 2.

For magery, necromancy and mysticism faster casting is capped at 2, so using protection will reduce your faster casting cap to 0.

However, bushido, chivalry, ninjitsu, spellweaving and bard mastery spells have a faster casting cap of 4. Thus using protection with those skills they will receive a reduced cap of 2, not 0.

Thank you for answer.

FC cap is decrease.

other skills have diff FC cap!

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every spellcaster I play runs Protection 24/7 - too many times I've had my characters die attempting to invis, recall or heal in a tight spot and have their spell disrupted regardless of resist skill. An added benefit for me is I do not have to worry about squeezing FC & FCR on to my jewelry.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Every spellcaster I play runs Protection 24/7 - too many times I've had my characters die attempting to invis, recall or heal in a tight spot and have their spell disrupted regardless of resist skill. An added benefit for me is I do not have to worry about squeezing FC & FCR on to my jewelry.
Protection does not impact FCR. I typically put 6 FCR on characters even if they regularly use protection.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most my tamers and stuff run protection... because yeah it can be tough to get an invis off without it. And yeah I try to get 6 FCR if I can... that helps some.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note also that, as a Second Circle spell, humans with 0 magery can cast it off scroll at 100%, and 60% of the time just casting it from a book. Everyone else at 0 casts it about 80% of the time from a scroll, 10% from a book. And you can buy the scrolls from over half of all mage/necro-type shop NPCs.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Man running prot all the time is a temptation, but if you are playing a character where spells are your primary dps it's a temptation I urge you to resist. Its a different situation on a tamer hybrid or bard, etc, where you're attention is more focused on micro-managing your pet or provos, but on a pure caster (mage/mystic/necro) that 2/6 can be very important.

If you're having trouble with fizzles, try a mage weapon. I use slayer spellbooks without anat/eval or wrestle also, but when things get hairy I swap to that mage wep and accept the reduced damage output until things are better under control.

Now spawning is a bit dif, also. Running wraith form and spamming aoe's I'll gladly run in protection, otherwise it would be impossible. I'm just saying as a caster, protection can be a crutch that may limit you from utilizing your character to its fullest potential. But I get it, that Uus Sanct toggled on with my pocket bard following me around sure is nice!

Johnny Black

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Now I am confused too...
if Impose a Faster Casting Cap/Penalty. How come my still show FC 3 ?
I can see at the bottom of my buff bar that my xasting speed is reduced, but why show 3 ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your FC is still 3. But the Cap for the FC is reduced by 2. It does not reduce FC, it reduces the cap. So, for some spells like magery the cap is now 0.

The Status bar does not show the cap because the cap is different for different spell types. Mage chiv etc.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Good to know - I'll add FCR back to my spellcasters!
That's a good idea! I'd even go so far as to say if you have to choose between the two FCR is more beneficial than FC, especially with magery/necromancy/mysticism.

6 FCR saves you 1.5 seconds of delay, the entirety of the natural cooldown between spells.

2 FC, still IMO very important (just my opinion though), only saves you 0.5 seconds of cast time.

That half second can make a significant difference when being poisoned cycled, or even help to get that invis in with a little skilled timing. But when chaining casts, 1.5 seconds is huge!!

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I read somewhere that the protection spell description ingame is not right and it should say that the faster casting cap is reduced by 2.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's a good idea! I'd even go so far as to say if you have to choose between the two FCR is more beneficial than FC, especially with magery/necromancy/mysticism.

6 FCR saves you 1.5 seconds of delay, the entirety of the natural cooldown between spells.

2 FC, still IMO very important (just my opinion though), only saves you 0.5 seconds of cast time.

That half second can make a significant difference when being poisoned cycled, or even help to get that invis in with a little skilled timing. But when chaining casts, 1.5 seconds is huge!!
But when chaining casts, 1.5 seconds is huge!!
@Innoxicated

I have a question when making chained spells macros....

Just as an example, let's consider a chained Macro of Explosion+E Bolt+Mana Drain....

Should one have different macros with different Delays in between the chained up Spells depending whether one is running protection or not ?

Or that 1.5 seconds, while relevant, does not make much of a difference in the setting up of a Chained Macro ?

The reason for asking this, is that we already need to deal with a whole lot of Macros to remember and tie up to keys on our keyboards and if now we also need to "double" Chained up Macros for when is using Protection and when one is not using Protection it can really get out of hand...

Not to mention, the high risk of making a shorter delay Chained up Macro for without Protection (i.e. with Faster Casting working) but then hitting hit when Protection is up and thus having the chained up spell not be cast smoothly because the delay in between was too short for when running Protection...

By the way, what is a good estimate of a delay in between Chained up spells when running Protection and when NOT running Protection ?

Thanks !

Innoxicated

Journeyman
By the way, what is a good estimate of a delay in between Chained up spells when running Protection and when NOT running Protection ?

Thanks !
The 1.5s I mentioned comes from casting recovery, which isnt affected by protection. I started mulling over the notion of making macros for chain spells, but in practice situations are usually so volatile I'd rather hotbar them all and have to deal with multiple button presses.

Oh and modifier keys. Lots and *lots* of modifier keys. In fact the spell protection on my setup is shift+Q lol