• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Platinum and Crimson Drakes

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They start a lot like this. This one has a good amount of starting HP and Str. 2 > 5 slot
They all have Dragon Breath. The Crimsom and Platinum have the same stats.
upload_2017-6-21_19-5-41.png

Their damage is 100% Physical, Fire, Cold, Poison, or Energy. Depending on where you find them.

Physical are in Destard on the way to the water elementals.

Fire are in Ilsh Chaos past the named Balrons.

Cold are near the entry of Ice.

Poison are in the forests of Umbra where you find Nightmares.

Energy only appear in Kotl city when you activate the city.

You can choose from these area effects. poison Drakes have the poison effects also.

upload_2017-6-21_19-31-42.png

You can choose from the standard special moves.

upload_2017-6-21_19-33-43.png

You have a bunch of magic choices but they are expensive. Except for poisoning.
If you get wrestling to 100. Battle defense will appear.

upload_2017-6-21_19-37-14.png

This one has 725 points left. The resists are set, and it has 30 Mana regen.
I also put Armor ignore and Explosive Goo on it.
You can get decent stats. I have room for scrolls or a Magic ability.

upload_2017-6-21_20-12-10.png

They don't have the amount of points a Cu has, but they have 100% damage type.

I have a Fire, Poison, and Energy. I think I'm going to scroll up this fire Drake and use it for Mel and some spawns.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hi Pawain! Also like these drakes! Have a few except for energy (never been to Kotl City yet). One small correction and an addition:

The Cold Platinum and Crimson Drakes can be found ANYwhere in Ice Dungeon (maybe/probably except for the Ice Fiend Lair and Ratmen Fort, haven't seen them there yet.) When you can't find them, they might be floating above the water just outside viewing range. Been loring quite a few of them so hence this response to them being near the entrance.

The Destard ones are in the East, as there are also many Water ellies at the back behind the poison area. (Taming regular drakes there a lot for gains and Zoo points.)

One question, why did you add the Goo and not the Inferno? That is actually what we have in mind for our Fire Drake...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi Pawain! Also like these drakes! Have a few except for energy (never been to Kotl City yet). One small correction and an addition:

The Cold Platinum and Crimson Drakes can be found ANYwhere in Ice Dungeon (maybe/probably except for the Ice Fiend Lair and Ratmen Fort, haven't seen them there yet.) When you can't find them, they might be floating above the water just outside viewing range. Been loring quite a few of them so hence this response to them being near the entrance.

The Destard ones are in the East, as there are also many Water ellies at the back behind the poison area. (Taming regular drakes there a lot for gains and Zoo points.)

One question, why did you add the Goo and not the Inferno? That is actually what we have in mind for our Fire Drake...
I'm still not convinced Goo is Energy damage. Why 2 energy and no fire area effects? Does inferno hit multiple targets? I made mine for spawns, and it worked great last night.

I scrolled it up and increased Mana to 900 and put on poison for Mel.

upload_2017-6-22_15-40-31.png

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm still not convinced Goo is Energy damage.
We fully agree on what you wrote, it feels just weird that the goo that was introduced with the FIRE ants has been changed into Energy damage when we put it on our pets. All the more since the description mentions Fiery Goo on the UO Wiki page! Seems almost like a brainfart typo sort of thing, but we haven't tested so cannot be sure.

As for inferno, since the description mentions "causing the creature to surround its targetS" (plural) we assumed it to be for multiple targets, but re-reading it now that could also refer to more targets after one another... Anyone on here already tested with it?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Me and Spica, Cu and Fire Steed...WE GOT THIS!!!

snowmapar.png

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I love the look of these drakes + you cannot underestimate a good bit of 100% elemental damage. For an amountable pet forced with dragon breath they should have better stats, where the hell is the next greater dragon! (you can't ride a "real dragon", lesser hiryu/reptalon doesn't count :p ).

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hellos, still trying to "get in" on new taming. (With maybe stupid questions because I am totally out dated with taming :p )

So....

Just wonder when you said:
This one has a good amount of starting HP and Str. 2 > 5 slot
Does starting HP mean anyting.. because you can train it to max? Or can you?

What I should look on new drages when I start tame it?
For example:
Does starting resistances mean anything or can I train them max?
Does starting stats mean anything or can I train them max?
Does starting skills mean anything or can I train them max?

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Ford Taunus
Finding a pet with almost max HP/STR is the priority as both carry a lot of imbuing weight, anything more than this is a luxury or a definite keeper!

Resists don't require much to max.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Ford Taunus
Finding a pet with almost max HP/STR is the priority as both carry a lot of imbuing weight, anything more than this is a luxury or a definite keeper!

Resists don't require much to max.
But if HP and STR is high at start.. doesent they take huge amount of weight already?

Or is imbuing weight always same at "new pet"?

For example how much pets got free imbuing weight if:

Pet "a" that have start str of 400 and is imbued to str 600
Versus
Pet "b" that have str 600 on fresh tamed and let say both are same monster type and no imbuing

Ps. If possible is there any high end post in forums where this all is clearly explained. I have tried find but I have not found and super good post where is all explained clearly.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But if HP and STR is high at start.. doesent they take huge amount of weight already?

Or is imbuing weight always same at "new pet"?

For example how much pets got free imbuing weight if:

Pet "a" that have start str of 400 and is imbued to str 600
Versus
Pet "b" that have str 600 on fresh tamed and let say both are same monster type and no imbuing

Ps. If possible is there any high end post in forums where this all is clearly explained. I have tried find but I have not found and super good post where is all explained clearly.
Each round gets 1501 points. So on pets with set slots look for the HP/STR.

On pets that have two different slot options look for best HP/STR on the lower slot variety.

A 2 slot naj will be better than any 3 slot naj. Same for others.

Cus are so close that you can select color preference and have it be a good pet.

These drakes have a wide range or HP/STR its better to find a good one since they are easy to tame.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Each round gets 1501 points. So on pets with set slots look for the HP/STR.

On pets that have two different slot options look for best HP/STR on the lower slot variety.

A 2 slot naj will be better than any 3 slot naj. Same for others.

Cus are so close that you can select color preference and have it be a good pet.

These drakes have a wide range or HP/STR its better to find a good one since they are easy to tame.
Just make it sure for me:
So rising str from 250 to 400 cost more that rising str from 350 to 400 on imbuing?

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
just to make things clear:

Regardless of how much STR/HP/resists etc a creature has when you tame it you will always have the same amount of points to spend, the only determining factor is the slots it starts with.

And yes it does cost more points going from 250>400 than 350>400 there an no exceptions to this rule, it costs exactly the same amount of points for a giant beetle and a cu sidhe to go from 600>700 STR and regardless where STR or any other stat starts from it always costs the exact same imbueing points (3 points for 1 point of STR/HP, 0.5 points for each point of INT etc).

also other rules are : HP and mana are tied together (example : if you max mana you a lmited to max amount of HP and vise versa). STR/DEX/INT are tied together too. resists are capped at 80 for every single creature the only exception being if you find a pet overcapped at 80 to begin with. Total resists you can put on are the same for every creature and if the creature has an overcapped resist that will limit your total pool of resist points to play with.

@Ford Taunus

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love the look of these drakes + you cannot underestimate a good bit of 100% elemental damage. For an amountable pet forced with dragon breath they should have better stats, where the hell is the next greater dragon! (you can't ride a "real dragon", lesser hiryu/reptalon doesn't count :p ).
Yep, I agree. I love the looks and I love the idea of 100% elemental damage, but after taming a few of each kind and playing with them on TC I did not bother training a single one on production. They are very short on points. On top of that they have poor mana regen AND Dragon Breath. Dragon breath is pretty much a liability. You dont have enough points to get HP up in order fro dragon breath to do much damage. But that does not stop the drake from wasting what little mana it has by constantly using it.
So at the end, elemental damage does not even come close to offsetting it's shortcomings.

Well that's a bummer. I love these things as well and was considering training up one of each for spawns... Anyway, earlier in this thread it was stated that starting stats from the drakes and other pets can vary widely. For those of us that are new, has anyone made an excel spreadsheet or graph to show how widely? I'm kind of an organizational nerd and if i can print something and post it on the wall next to my monitor as I'm taming to check stats...well I'm not saying that I WOULDN'T do that...

So if you have a cool sheet with the range of base stats for any of the often tamed pets...or you know...cats that you found running around New Haven, can you post it up for us to use?

Thanks in advance for the work you already put into this!

Winter

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well that's a bummer. I love these things as well and was considering training up one of each for spawns... Anyway, earlier in this thread it was stated that starting stats from the drakes and other pets can vary widely. For those of us that are new, has anyone made an excel spreadsheet or graph to show how widely? I'm kind of an organizational nerd and if i can print something and post it on the wall next to my monitor as I'm taming to check stats...well I'm not saying that I WOULDN'T do that...

So if you have a cool sheet with the range of base stats for any of the often tamed pets...or you know...cats that you found running around New Haven, can you post it up for us to use?

Thanks in advance for the work you already put into this!

Winter
They are not too wide. Theres 4 at a time grab the best one or kill a few. The one in the top pic has decent starting HP and STR.

They are easy to tame. Just walk up to one and invis. You'll tame it on the first try usually.

I will tame 2 at a time when stocking my vendor. Tame one, tell it all stay, invis it. It will stay there invised. Grab another and repeat. Recall to town and log off and on. Both will still stll be invised next to you.

They have enough points to scroll them out. I guess I should post my finished one. I just grabbed the first one I tamed for this one. They make a fine pet. Its been to spawns, Mel, Kills paragon Balron.

upload_2017-8-24_16-26-3.png

Thank you Pawain! (Love the Lasher btw...)

Looking at your post, I have another question and not sure if this should be posted elsewhere. For those of you that have spent considerable time training and testing damage, can you post your findings on the difference between 110 - 120 PS Tactics, Anat, etc? On ATL the 120's are ridiculous if you can find them, and the 115's are still 8 million or so. For a new player and new tamer, I don't have a stockpile of scrolls and am wondering where I can use 110's or 115's and not give up a bunch of damage or skill. I understand that 120 Wrestling is an absolute must...but outside of that?

Winter

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The differences aren't as great as some would lead you to believe, but they do add up over time. It's more of a min/max time invested thing.

Base damage increase between 110 and 120 tactics would be about a +2 to min-max per swing, again adds up over time but a 110 beast isn't that much inferior to a 120, just takes longer to kill something

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They are not too wide. Theres 4 at a time grab the best one or kill a few. The one in the top pic has decent starting HP and STR.

They are easy to tame. Just walk up to one and invis. You'll tame it on the first try usually.

I will tame 2 at a time when stocking my vendor. Tame one, tell it all stay, invis it. It will stay there invised. Grab another and repeat. Recall to town and log off and on. Both will still stll be invised next to you.

They have enough points to scroll them out. I guess I should post my finished one. I just grabbed the first one I tamed for this one. They make a fine pet. Its been to spawns, Mel, Kills paragon Balron.

View attachment 71144
That's a very nice pet, and it's much better than what I was able to make when 97 dropped. Either I was extremely unlucky in what I tamed, or they tweaked them a bit for the better.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's a very nice pet, and it's much better than what I was able to make when 97 dropped. Either I was extremely unlucky in what I tamed, or they tweaked them a bit for the better.
It was the first one I tamed. Within a week of release. I've made one of each damage and they have at least the same points.

This is the only one I've scrolled. I have one of each in stable and have sold a few that I trained to 5 slots. That energy Platinum Drake in the first post is the best starting stats I've seen.

I dont know how or why, but they seem to take a little more damage than a Cu or Lesser. But this one has wondered off at a spawn and I've retrieved him with a good amount of health.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Armor Pierce works pretty nicely on these as well. 150% damage dealt and increases all damage done to the target for a short time. If the target has 40 in the resist of the pet, armor pierce will do the same damage as armor ignore, More than armor ignore if it has less than 40.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They have not been tweaked since release from what i have seen.
Their starting stat range is pretty tight, most fall into the range of 250-255 hits and 415-430 str.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
No you are at the right spot..I think "activating the city" is the key thing..Now how to do that to get the energy drakes, I am not sure. I hope some1 helps here with this info..
Yep
That is IF the city can still be activated?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I think but not sure, you need to open boxes, get some items from there, then solve a puzzle with the switches correctly, then a spawn starts in the big square nearby, where we killed spawn, got minor reward items, then traded them to the NPC outside on top..Apparently the E.Drakes were part of the spawn? Not sure if this works anymore. Major items from this event were Dr. Spock's glassess, recipies and some other stuff. Never did this so I am not too sure how things worked. Would be interesting to know if the city still works this way, and if there is another way to get the Energy drakes...?

Finegold

Journeyman
It does work still. Did it on origin not that long ago. Need a character with detect hidden. I got 95 and works well. You Reveal chests - go to the Far UO North room... huge open area... and to the west of that you will reveal regal chests. Inside they have a chance of spawning a kotl power core... (its the same one you need for zippy quest). You need 8 of them.

Then you do the lever puzzle... in the east part of that same wide open area.... then you activate the time contraption thing....

then you do the 2nd puzzle... path crossing puzzle.... then you place those 8 kotl power cores you scored and BAM.... the drakes spawn in that Far UP North Room.

Here's a link that explains it better. Once youve done it once its not so complicated.
Halloween – Treasures of the Kotl City – Ultima Online

(Cant turn in points and all that... but the drakes still spawn)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
kotl power core... (its the same one you need for zippy quest). You need 8 of them.
These can be crafted by someone who has the recipe. Or bought from the Zippy vendor. (If the quest item ones work)

upload_2018-3-3_19-11-8.png

Can't use these for Zippy quest.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is a poison one I finish this week. He does not use the poison skill. I think Aura of Nausea is great if it does what the description says. It kills stuff.

I recommend Chiv on all any of them.

upload_2018-6-24_1-41-38.png

DeadThing

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I agree that Dragon's Breath is a liability on these; in a perfect world they'd each have a Special ability related to their damage type, or even better be blank slates, but I've managed to train some (through a lot of trial and error, and nearly starting a riot =P) that I'm happy with. Although I haven't scrolled any of them (gotta get my own first) they're accomplishing what I want them to, and they look good doing it. *grin*

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I want to get a fire one and give it 80 cold resist. Basically make it my go to pet for cold damage mobs since most of my pets have low cold resist except my Cu, but that does 50% cold damage which most cold mobs have high resist to.

Do you get the message "you anger the beast" when you try to tame these?

Could I add AI, mortal strike, and chiv to one?

Or maybe I should just get a fire beetle instead so I can ride it and it has more points?

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there a place that lists all the new/modded pets like the old hunters guide with the new slots/names/anything else you need to know. Right now I am in the process of redoing all my crafter bugs

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to get a fire one and give it 80 cold resist. Basically make it my go to pet for cold damage mobs since most of my pets have low cold resist except my Cu, but that does 50% cold damage which most cold mobs have high resist to.

Do you get the message "you anger the beast" when you try to tame these?

Could I add AI, mortal strike, and chiv to one?

Or maybe I should just get a fire beetle instead so I can ride it and it has more points?
I've experimented with mortal strike on a fire steed with exactly that template (AI, Mortal, Chiv) and didn't find it making a big difference for healing spammers like Navery. Depending on your use, I would suggest Feint or Frenzied Whirlwind instead (of Mortal). Double check the training points, because it will cost you more, but it should be superior.

I'm still finishing up my prototype fire steeds with the builds, and it makes a big difference in performance after they get over 80 or so skill, so I'm waiting to GM them to do a series of hunts then report in to the group. So far fire steed with AI/Feint/Chiv and ExpGoo/FWW/Chiv seem viable, but different design purposes. AI/FWW/Chiv seems like it would be a good combo too, but I haven't tried it yet. This might be the next prototype, for me. After I do those three prototypes, I'll make a hunt list and see what they can solo as a general hunter. My plan is to do a few prototypes with zero scrolls, then look at a 110 scroll build for them. For the loss of 20% Fire for 20% Phy (when Consecrate Weapon isn't on), if you like the convenience of a ridable, maybe consider them. That seems like the most comparable ridable to the fire damage drake. Free 108 resist and no resist training, if you tame one with 120 resist.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a poison one I finish this week. He does not use the poison skill. I think Aura of Nausea is great if it does what the description says. It kills stuff.

I recommend Chiv on all any of them.

View attachment 83277
A couple questions, Why 120 Chiv vs 110 like the rest of the scrolls? Is that just what you had, or it was cheap, or is it worth the difference? Also, Int wasn't taken to 370, was it just a better trade-off to get the initial 600pts in Mana or 20 HPR? I ask on those two, because I would have taken the points from one of those sources to get Int 370 for a little more regen during the fight. I'm asking, to understand and learn, but if this comes across as something else, I will PM and we can discuss it there. Thanks for putting in the time on this build and reporting results, really looking forward to hearing the field reports on Aura.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 Chiv, Mystisicm, Discord, and weaving make a difference. Weaving less Necro just a toy till we get better base necro pets. Yes, I find cheap magic scrolls.

You can test basic Chiv on the drone. Mysticism is impressive on the drone. Ks WW was very impressive on the drone. Higher skill and stats does higher damage. I have ran >80 pets on the drone. My builds are very consistent with the damage they do vs scrolls and skill levels.

I built this pet like I have since the beginning. Put Int on pets that have extra points. This pet type does not have extra points.

I read the spreadsheet in the mana regen thread. The difference between what it is and what 370 would be is <240 mana over ten minutes. :thumbdown: IMO my original hands on experience jived with the math. Sorry I am not impressed with extra mana regen from Int. What you are attacking should be dead by ten minutes.

Int wont buy HP and HPR. So I put the HPR and Hit points where I wanted them. Enough to let it fight on its own a little and not low enough that it loses stamina on normal things. If I have points remaining after I build what I want, I will put them into Int. I like the pet to be be built to be active on its own. If I dont have to run consume I can cast spells. Sometimes I am active and sometimes I just run consume. My pets can stay alive either way.

The only thing I have changed from my original builds is I now put HPR on everything.

If you want a pet that kills 1 thing then rests then kills again and the fight lasts <40 sec. You can make builds for that. A Blue beetle is the perfect pet for short fights. They never run out of mana and you can collect bags to turn in or unravel. They have high Int.

I make my pets work for what I fight. I always have encouraged builds for specific targets.

If you are killing Paraoximus with a pet then I am sure you can also build pets.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Wondering if I should get a fire one, or just get a fire beetle. I think fire beetle gets more points.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fire beetle gets rune corruption. These can get chivalry. So both kill stuff.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Fire beetle gets rune corruption. These can get chivalry. So both kill stuff.
Considering I'm a disco tamer I'm thinking a fire drake with chiv might be better for me.

For some reason I found a ton of energy drakes for sale on Pacific.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Considering I'm a disco tamer I'm thinking a fire drake with chiv might be better for me.

For some reason I found a ton of energy drakes for sale on Pacific.
Someone opened Kotl City. Then they ran out of stable space.

I think but not sure, you need to open boxes, get some items from there, then solve a puzzle with the switches correctly, then a spawn starts in the big square nearby, where we killed spawn, got minor reward items, then traded them to the NPC outside on top..Apparently the E.Drakes were part of the spawn? Not sure if this works anymore. Major items from this event were Dr. Spock's glassess, recipies and some other stuff. Never did this so I am not too sure how things worked. Would be interesting to know if the city still works this way, and if there is another way to get the Energy drakes...?
The city still works. My guild mates and I activated the city the other night and we probably tamed about 40 drakes between us tamers. If you want to activate city it will cost almost 1 million gold pieces. As it takes 8 power cores to activate city which a power core cost 250k. We did this on Sonoma.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Love these elemental drakes! I got the 4 elementals last week and they just bonded. I got the fire one up to 5 slots first, working on energy now. Leveling at 2 slot is slow, takes about an hour at crazed mage to go from 2 to 3 slots and the mage can do some heavy damage to them with such low HP/Resists. 3 and 4 slots goes by fast.

My fire one has 600 HP, 500 Mana, AI/Chiv, 20/5/30 regens, 700 Str, and room to scroll 120 all skills except 105 tactics. Plan to do the same thing with the rest of them. Love the 100% elemental damage. Going to take me quite awhile to get all 4 of them to 5 slots and skill trained, but taking the right damage type to the right mob makes a big difference. I spent a little time skilling the fire drake on sphinxes which have their lowest resist to fire. Despite only having wrestling in the 60's he was wrecking the sphinx.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Love these elemental drakes!

but taking the right damage type to the right mob makes a big difference.
This!

I put up a brief article on our website about how much damage can be lost taking the wrong animal to an encounter. it's substantial dps. It was going to be part of a longer series of testing posts but then Halloween content came. (And yes, most pets will eventually kill things, it's a matter of how long you will be sitting there waiting)

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I'm very pleased with how my fire drake turned out, can't wait to get all of them leveled up and skilled up. Also I set the resist to 80/75/70/70/70 on them, seems to work well. Can take my fire drake with 70 cold resists to wreck stuff in the ice dungeon and 70 poison resist to own Navry.