• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pets for non tamers

AaronTheAssassin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello my fellow bards!

I'm wondering what people use for pets besides summoned creatures when the template does not include taming or vet. Currently I have a trained timber wolf from when I was a young bard and could not kill left over Provo targets. I'm currently looking to expand my pack to four or five wolves for pack instinct now that I'm almost 4x 120. However before I work too hard at it, I'm wondering if anyone has different ideas?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The vollems held in a crystal that you can get from turn-in points are statistically identical to nightmares; they even have nightmare loot in them when they die the first time.

They are 2 control slots each, but aren't mounts like the nightmare - so you use the 5th slot for an ethy or a 1-slot pet. I personally use a pair doing low-level T-maps.

They bond with you, and once bonded can be rezzed. You can heal them with magic or with Vet.

As an example of combat effectiveness, they can take out everything but Ogre lords quickly in level 1-4 T-map spawn. The Ogre lords, because of their HP and high damage output, can kill one of a pair of vollems, if you don't help out (peace, disco, or attacking the OL yourself with spells or magic) and/or heal the vollems.

AaronTheAssassin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh wow, Awesome! Thank you for the quick replies. I only recently came back from a 5 year Hiatus, where is this quest for turn in located at?

*Edit* Found it, the clean up...500k points

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello my fellow bards!

I'm wondering what people use for pets besides summoned creatures when the template does not include taming or vet. Currently I have a trained timber wolf from when I was a young bard and could not kill left over Provo targets. I'm currently looking to expand my pack to four or five wolves for pack instinct now that I'm almost 4x 120. However before I work too hard at it, I'm wondering if anyone has different ideas?
Bouras can be used by non-tamers and are a pretty good meatshield.

Li Mu Bai

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Bonded vollems are affected by bard masteries so You can use peace ones to heal and decrease damage taken or provo ones to heal and nicely boost melee and mage damage output. they do a short work woth discoed miasma or swoop (especially if You also provoke a cu)