• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pets and Changelings, like Irk

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

So I'm gathering info on doing Dread Horn with my tamer and keep running across threads (mostly on Bard/Mage/Warrior forums) about what a pain-in-the-arrs Irk can be. I can take most any supporting skills on my Tamer that I want (yes I have lots of soulstones and chars with most skills), and looking for advice from any of you Tamers that do Irk.

I haven't come across any info on a Changeling's ability to "mimic" the skills of a pet, but for some reason it sounds reasonable, and wonder if that makes any difference?

So if any of you do Dread Horn, could you share your strategies and templates with me pls?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never seen a changeling turn into a pet or mimic it, it's the player they copy. Changelings are awkward but any of the better tank pets can handle them ok. In groups I've always found it easier to heal my pet from a distance if I couldn't use my stealther to sneak in, vet and hide again.

I either have my stealther or my disco/prov tamer around the cu spawn so my tactics depend on my char. My stealther tends to vet only when she has to and tries to stay hidden nearby her pet so the changeling remains focused on her pet. My bard will disco the changeling/irk and stand further back but visible. She often provos cu sidhe onto changelings ;)

Irks, like paragon changelings are pretty stroppy and aggressive but the worst thing I've seen players do is panic and run around. I don't hunt them specifically but I've killed a stack of "strays" around cu spawns.

I'll leave any dread horn advice to the more experienced peerless hunters here, but I did find some useful looking threads with search... this one and this older thread might give you some ideas :)

Wenchy

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never seen a changeling turn into a pet or mimic it, it's the player they copy. Changelings are awkward but any of the better tank pets can handle them ok. In groups I've always found it easier to heal my pet from a distance if I couldn't use my stealther to sneak in, vet and hide again.

I either have my stealther or my disco/prov tamer around the cu spawn so my tactics depend on my char. My stealther tends to vet only when she has to and tries to stay hidden nearby her pet so the changeling remains focused on her pet. My bard will disco the changeling/irk and stand further back but visible. She often provos cu sidhe onto changelings ;)

Irks, like paragon changelings are pretty stroppy and aggressive but the worst thing I've seen players do is panic and run around. I don't hunt them specifically but I've killed a stack of "strays" around cu spawns.

I'll leave any dread horn advice to the more experienced peerless hunters here, but I did find some useful looking threads with search... this one and this older thread might give you some ideas :)

Wenchy
Thx Wenchy.... I had seen the newer of those threads, and after reading them both again, I may set my sights on a Peerless that's a bit easier to do. At least until I get better at fighting with my pets, since I pretty much play solo.

I'd love to hear stories about what Peerless do you do and with what pets?
;)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Peerless which anyone can solo with a pet:
Monstrous Interred Grizzle - Keying is hard, but possible if you know a lot about spawn control. It may be easier to key with a warrior and do the grizzle with a greater dragon/hiryu (high physical resist is key here). Just stand 2 tiles away from your pet and use magery/vet to heal. Don't do any extra damage or else the grizzle will spit more acid and your pet will die.
Peerless with template requirements:
Travesty - With a greater dragon, keying is really simple (but getting to the key location is difficult). The strategy is to stand far from travesty and only heal your greater dragon with magery. Once Travesty targets you, it's pretty much all over unless you're lucky (or skilled) enough to get away long enough for Travesty to turn back to normal. When the ninja/mage/thieves spawn, then you need word of death to deal as much damage to Travesty in a short amount of time as possible, so I suggest a spellweaving tamer.

Dread Horn and Lady Mel are possible, but not easy to solo. DH is somewhat easier because Mel spawns with those forsaken satyrs. In DH, just keep close, and use a lot of heals/cures. Potions are very handy there! With Mel, you have to have a strategy to deal with the satyrs.

Do not ever take a pet to Paroxysmus!

I'm not sure if you can solo the Shimmering effusion, as I've never tried. It's easy as a mage-variant (i.e. pure mage/mystic mage/necro mage) and getting the SE stuck. I'm sure you could do the same with a eval/mage/tamer and use the pets for the side spawns... but I haven't tried (and won't either... that stage in my UO life is in the past).

I also haven't soloed Medusa, and am quite sure you can't solo the Stygian Dragon or the Slasher of Veils (though I didn't do badly with a pair of bake kitsune for a few minutes).

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thx for the thoughtful input Farsight... and especially for the tips on Grizzle... :)