• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Petra's training guide for imbuing, modified version (inc. R Traveler data)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah - I'm going to be revising this considerably in the new year. One thing that needs to be seen is just how much one can gain from just unraveling (and yes, I'm testing this - ick).

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After Update???

I too am using this and did great up to 115 then hit a HUGE slow down about to modify it a little and keep success rate at between 50 - 60 which seems to give best gains.

As for Essence I have yet to get one back so this is definatly a change. Not really worried but just confirming a earlier post.

I will post changes made and results from 115.

H

Hoo Phlung Poo

[QUOTE and.. unraveling stuff made at 105-120 gives essence, you'll get enough to get 10x115 scrolls to combine them to 120 scroll.[/QUOTE]

can you explain to me how this process works im new to imbuing as i have been in afghanistan for the last 13 months. any explination would be greatly appriciated

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Okay, with SA, they added "Scroll binders" to the list of craftable items.

Cooks can turn the bark that usually was thrown away by lumberjacks into wood pulp, which scribes can then use to create the binders.

The binders can be used to combine the pink skill scrolls that drop from Champ Spawns, of like skill type, into one, larger, scroll.

They can also be used to turn a bunch of equal value smaller Power Scrolls into 1 power scroll of the next value up.

So, you can trade in Enchanted Essence to the guy (via quests) that gives 115 Imbuing Power Scrolls (and occasionally a stonecrafting runic as a bonus), to collect enough 115 scrolls to make a 120 PS with a scroll binder.

H

Hoo Phlung Poo

i see well thank you for the info. where would i start the quest at and roughly how many 115s would i need for a 120? id rather just buy one but i cant find one anywhere on gl

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think it's like 10 or 12 - I'm still trying to find (or make) a 60 skill cook for the pulp for my own scribe; I've gotten the 115s I need, just no pulp.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
alright, sooo... i'm just using the unraveling method to raise imbuing since i don't have a blacksmith. question: will i gain more % if i unravel with a gargoyle or is it all the same? right now imbuing is on my elf, but if a gargoyle would have it raise quicker i'll switch it.

also, do you gain more/less/the same if you unravel a whole bag or one item at a time?

S

steeda95gt

I just would like to add a few tidbits of information to this guide since I am currently in the process of training imbuing. Right now, my skill is at 115.8. Just for extra info, I am using a house soulforge with a human character.

I have found that my best gains come when I am between a 50-55% success rate and to conserve resources, I only adjust the LRC component of what I am imbuing. I started at about 100 skill with 9% LRC and I am now using 16% LRC to imbue. So while I keep on trying to raise skill, I only waste 1 magical residue and 1 citrine on the reimbues (19 luck) until I wear the item out.

Hope this helps some people out there.

J

[JD]

I have an imbuer (74) and a tailor (85) only at this point. My gains from unraveling are slowing steadily. Is there an easy way for me to gain imbuing using these 2 skills? I see mention of Exceptional plate jingasas, but I don’t find the prospect of skilling up a smith and miner just to train imbuing to be desirable. Or are exceptional plate jingasas pretty low on the crafting menu?

Also what’s the best way to collect residues to train imbuing? I’ve been gathering them from unraveling but after weeks of gathering I still only have 4k residue and 2k essences. I’m looking at the amounts some people claimed to have used and the amount I have falls very short what is needed.

Since the Gump change, has the imbue once to save mouse clicks Vs. the imbue 2nd/3rd property to save resources thing been revisited? I wonder if it’s any better now, because I’d love to save resources (new player, haven’t been around forever).

Thanks

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
JD, one way to reduce residue consumption, at the cost of vastly increasing raw material consumption (iron, etc.) and moderately increasing gem consumption, is to recycle immediately after adding the last property once, instead of repeating the last imbue 7-8 times.

This is in effect trading much higher material (iron/bought items) costs and gem costs(as both are buyable from NPCs, this is effectively throwing gold at the problem), in exchange for reduced residue consumption.

I just did 200 low level (1 & 2) T-maps, brought all the loot back, and got almost 5000 residue from the items. Even the wands unravel, so that's 5 items per level from the chest, most of which will give residue.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hold on to my wands. With sc already on them and mage weapon and beeing looted they have a nice difficulty for further imbue training. (Adjusting mage weapon to higher levels uses up essences but if you collect loot often you will get enough of them.) That way I dont need to spend my precious mined ingots for training imbue items (aka samurai plate armour parts).

J

[JD]

That sounds good to me since I'm trying to save EVERY resource... essences, residues, gold... I haven't been playing 10 years like others and don't consider gold an easy thing to get.

At what skill level should you begin to adjust mage weapons that you find, and are there any other resource saving methods when you haul loot back from hunting?

Tmaps is a good idea, didnt think of that. thanks

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
low-level T-maps are, in a way, better than the higher-level ones, because of sheer volume.

If you sort your maps by their location, you can get 1 level 1 map done every 1-2 minutes, and 1 level 2 maps every 2-5 minutes. The even though level 4-6 maps have more than the base 5 items per level, the more dangerous spawn can drag things out (with the consolation that the spawn will have items too, usually). Level 1 (and I believe possibly level 2s as well) have the bonus that a person with 50 (level 1) or GM (level 2) magery can do them, if someone else decodes the maps for them (as the unlock spell works on those chests, at those levels of magery).

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That sounds good to me since I'm trying to save EVERY resource... essences, residues, gold... I haven't been playing 10 years like others and don't consider gold an easy thing to get.

At what skill level should you begin to adjust mage weapons that you find, and are there any other resource saving methods when you haul loot back from hunting?

Tmaps is a good idea, didnt think of that. thanks
Simply remember that you can go up to 70-80 imbuing these day simply by unravelling assorted loot. (It is the cheapeast way to raise and the speed depends on your dilligence in collecting loot.)
There are no thumb rules for when to adjust mage weapon on wands. I prefer to use 1residue/1 gem imbues for training. At 101 I can go with mage weap 25, hit poison area 8% and luck at aropund 16. (If I am not wrong the luck imbue should have around 60% success.) And i dont have to adjust every wand ... I keep the better ones and only use those with weaker mage weapon on it for now.
Similar to t-maps you can go with fishing and mibs. Juka bows with more or less uselsee slayers might be a choice to after you fell you have done enough unravelling. (Even if the bows from juka lords dont look special ... at gm bowyer can modify them and apply a random slayer, which also gives a decent starting intensity. Its still better than samurai plate armour ... in base difficulty and in resource using. And you can keep the supperslayer, if there are any among your bows, for later use or sell.)

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While a lot of the past information is a good guideline, there is a good bit of outdated (at 2 months... sheesh) information. Not the fault of the posters, obviously.

1) You can now successfully imbue an item 20 times, not 10.
2) The imbue gump now remembers the last property and intensity that was inserted, making multiple repeats via UOA a breeze.
3) I have used (so far - 102.9) roughly 1/3rd the resources that others have listed using, and that includes *wasting* some before I figured out double imbuing. I'm still well under 4k residue used -

*disclaimer - what works for me may not, and probably won't, work for you*

I've kept my difficulty level very specifically in the 64.0 to 64.9 range. That's always been my sweet spot, regardless of the skill. I never unraveled the daggers - I just imbued them 20 times (or until I got the no more gains message) and then unraveled them, and by keeping things in that skill range, it was not uncommon for me to see 3-4 gains per dagger, with more than a few 5-8 gain runs, and 2 over 12.

A good part of the problem with guides is that they are just that. Nothing works 100% the second time. People need to take the information presented, and use it in the way that works best for them. Also, given that there have been some changes made since a great bit of these earlier posts were made, it's wise to not discard some of the alternate methods that, initially, were a guaranteed way to cause your wrist to flap in unnatural directions.

I have an exact count of all resources used so far, and once I hit 120, will make a complete post, including UOA macro's that I used.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I gained steady on high end monster loot until I was 85.0

After that, the gains slowed down to .1 every 2-3 bags (a bag having 50-60 items).

I did find another bag of runic armor to unravel (43 pieces) and I gained .3 off it (I was at 94.2 at the time), but not sure it's worth the cost to burn up runics just for stuff to unravel at this point.

I am upto 104.9 now.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I made 50 exceptional jingasas, added some luck to them, then imbued some LRC, and got from about 75 to 90.0 with just those 50 items. Note that, unlike most training guides, I was doing the final item with about a 35-45% difficulty, NOT up into the 50s and 60s.

I used only 43 more exceptional jingasas yesterday, with 89 luck (which itself gave me a couple gains), followed by the most LRC I could get for 1 gem use (then when that got into the 40s, 2 gems, then 3 gems) 19 times, and with only 23 of those Jingasas, got from 90 to 95 skill (And I still have 20 more to go through, once I get some more training time).

I'm beginning to think gains are much quicker in the 30s & 40s, but at a higher resource cost from many more failures.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had gotten extremely tired of collecting loot and unraveling it, time consuming filling my beetle up with 5 bags and repeating this process to get 2k residue.

I decided to have my tinker manufacture some dull copper carpenter hammers that take 1 ingot and may as well have him gain in imbuing. So I started my second imbuer and bought up 40 imbuing and got 1k dull copper ingots from my miners chest. After unraveling 1k dull copper hammers I have gained about 15 skill points and over 3k residue.

Just make 100 hammers at a time and each batch nets about 250 residue. I wish I used that method on my first imbuer. Mining dull copper and unraveling for residue is definately the cheapest and best way to gain at low levels.

I decided to take this to the test shard since gains slowed on the dull copper hammers toward 55. I decided to take about 1k gold ingots and do the same test.

0-40 . . . . buy
40-55 . . . unravel 1000 dull copper carpenter hammers (obtain 3k residue)
55-65 . . . unravel 1000 gold carpenter hammers (obtain 3425 residue)
(65-66.6 unravel 700 gold hammers obtain 2344 residue. This method drops off considerably after 65 and need an item with 3 properties.)
(65-70 . . .I tried unraveling bloodwood bokutos and wooden shields. There were some gains in this range, but less significant as the hammers.)

-Lorax

A

Atlantic Smith

What is a dull copper "carpenter" hammer?

you mean smith's?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First: He means the normal crafting tool, HAMMER, made by tinkers to be used by carpenters (it's not wieldable, yet has Swords weapon stats) to make wood things, made from Dull Copper ingots. They take 1 ingot to craft. Frankly, it's cheaper just to farm things for stuff to unravel - like doing the new Treasure maps....

Second, PLEASE don't do Thread necromancy with this thread. It was unstickied and replaced by a more modern guide 6 months ago, as most of the info is out of date due to changes to unraveling and the skill itself. Look in the stickies above this one for the curent Imbuing training guide.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.