• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Petra's training guide for imbuing, modified version (inc. R Traveler data)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i got bored while working imbuing over 100 and i noticed another place where you can tweak your resource spending down.
and that is to bump up to the 3rd item instead of staying at 2 items.

example.

on the guild at 105 you do RPD 13 (one time) and LRC 8 (nine times)
that is a total base cost of (4 residue + 8 citrine) + 9 x (2 residue + 4 amber)
for a total of 22 residue + 36 amber + 8 citrine.

now if you do this
13 RPD (one time) + LRC 3 (one time) + luck 19 (8 times)
you are at about the same % for success but your cost is
total 13 residue + 16 citrine + 1 amber

for a savings (on just one item) of 9 residue + 35 amber - 8 citrine
now, you do kill off 8 more citrine, but being they cost the same as amber and you save 35 amber, that would make your savings still 9 residue and 27 of the lesser gems (this being amber)

you can even start to do this earlier and tweak down the LRC and the LUCK % to put the success rate where you want it (between 40-60)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you for the training guide.

Maybe can the following help some people:
If you have a character good in Lumberjacking, able to harvest Oak wood, and also a GM Carpenter with a good talisman, you can make yourself a lot of Magical Residue.
Put some Oak wood (I used 150 boards) in an Unravel Magic Item Bag.
Use your Carpenter to make exceptional Quater Staff. You will find the items within the bag.
Give the bag to your Imbuing character and use it to unravel the items selecting Unravel All Magic Items.
You will get about 40 Magical Residue.

Best regards,

Ray
GM Fletcher with a fletch tally and you get 100% Exp. and costs you 1 extra board.
Don't know if this is a bonus for lower imbue training but I get better unravil residue on my GM Oak bows on a .1 imbuer than I was on my Garg. imbuer at 109 imbuing.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i got bored while working imbuing over 100 and i noticed another place where you can tweak your resource spending down.
and that is to bump up to the 3rd item instead of staying at 2 items.

example.

on the guild at 105 you do RPD 13 (one time) and LRC 8 (nine times)
that is a total base cost of (4 residue + 8 citrine) + 9 x (2 residue + 4 amber)
for a total of 22 residue + 36 amber + 8 citrine.

now if you do this
13 RPD (one time) + LRC 3 (one time) + luck 19 (8 times)
you are at about the same % for success but your cost is
total 13 residue + 16 citrine + 1 amber

for a savings (on just one item) of 9 residue + 35 amber - 8 citrine
IT's a good idea, it just has one flaw.

It adds THIRTEEN mouse clicks PER ITEM.

That adds significant time and potential for carpal tunnel.

Once (if) they modify the imbue gump to remember the value you were imbuing the last item with, your method would be the preferred choice.

However, for those of us whose wrists are already protesting prior to GM, the additional cost might be worth sparing the damage to our right hand.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i hear ya on that.

i was doing what i said for a bit and gave up and went back to the 2 mod without the luck.

its too bad we cant set up uoassist to remember something like that.

would be nice to have hotkeys set up for stuff like that.

hit button #1 and it slaps on RPD

button 2 is slaps on 29 luck.
it fails.
hit button 2 again.

i tryed this am to get it to work with usassist and there was just no doing it.

*sigh*

106.0 and climbing.....slowlly..... climbing....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They said they were going to be looking to make a change to the gump in that regard, but who knows how long it will take to actually get into the game.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How strange. I have made uoa macros just fine.
First macro: double click the imbuing button pulled from the skills menu, go through the menu to imbue the selected property, close the menu. (that last step is important) Stop recording, set the 'target' to 'target item type'
Second macro: double click the button as before, select 'reimbue item' go through the menu and imbue the selected property, close the menu. Stop recording
Third macro: double click the button, select 'reimbue item' go through the menu and imbue the selected property, hit 'reimbue last' the required number of times, then unravel the item. Stop recording, set the 'target' to 'target item type'

I keep my items for imbuing in a seperate container in the house or a packie and only put them in my back pack one at a time.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks everyone for the guides. Very helpful.

I followed the dagger method until 110 where I got stuck for a long time without a gain. Then I tried the Plate Jingasa. It worked like a charm. I now gain steadily. But the beauty is that it costs so LITTLE resources :thumbup:!

J

Juraveil

Why does everyone either do higher luck or dispell on a GM dagger costing alot of gems around upper 60's.

You can just put on 19luck for 1res 1gem x1 and then do 8%dispell for 1gem 1res x9 which you should have around 55-58% success.

Overall its ALOT cheaper unless I really suck at math or dont understand something which is very possible.

Also you can start this method easily at 62skill when you would be doing dispell or luck with more than 1gem per. So at 62 just do enough luck on first imbue to keep dispell around 50-60% whatever you prefer.

For example I am 68 atm doing 19% luck x 1 and 8% dispell x9 with 58% success. I was doing the same from early 60's but started at 2% dispell and upped as it got to easy. Hope this makes sense to everyone else.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why does everyone either do higher luck or dispell on a GM dagger costing alot of gems around upper 60's.

Read Reply #53.....

Your method makes the imbuing process take significantly longer per item, AND adds PAINFUL levels of mouseclicking to the item that would not be present in the other method.

19 luck and 8% dispel is 25-26 mouse clicks to set up (26 if you count the attempt for the 19 luck, to imbue), plus failures.

16% dispel is 8 mouse clicks to set up.

Most people would rather spend the extra gem resources to avoid carpal tunnel.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder why in your (fantastic!) guide you're referring to a Gargoyle character using the soul forge in the Royal City. You can save lots of ressources using a non-gargoyle race and a crafted soul forge for training. I'm at 75 now and I still imbue the daggers with 1 residue + 3 amber.

J

Juraveil

I could understand people being lazy and spending ALOT more for skill gains if you had to do all the clicks everytime... but you only have ti do it ONE time per dagger. Imbue last is a wonderful thing.

To each their own I guess, and as far as carpal goes I understand that one, I have it in both wrists but I really don't have any issues clicking luck 19times with how fast the window moves you can get all 19 in just a few seconds, the rest is 1 click and then make last until that dagger is done.

Either way I just wanted to let some people know who might try and follow this guide thinking its the only way... its the EXPENSIVE way but there are just as good and WAY WAY cheaper methods if you are not lazy.

I kinda like that imbuing if you experiment can be raised so many different ways, now I admit I cant wait for them to change the UI to be more in line with other tradeskills but until then my goal is just to save as much resources and money as possible even if it means only slightly more time per item.

R

Radix

they are right, trying to save 25-30 clicks PER ITEM!! is not being lazy, i call this save your sanity, everyone have his limits and his stamina ;)
for myself, i cannot train imbuing more than an hour, i understand to spent a bit more resources in fast training, it's more important for me my brain and my time that my gold (if i can afford)
Best thing is the balance

Saludos.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i did the more clicks.
i just made sure to take lots of breaks and only train in small 30 minute to a hour max blocks.

i didnt know if i would have enough resources to get to 120, as it ended up i had JUST enough to get me there.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It *is* possible to make a uoa macro to do a 45 luck imbue. Just be sure that the last action recorded is closing the menu.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i tried a few things, but one thing i couldnt get my uoassist to do was close the menu in my macros.

so i had to make a couple macros and just right click the gump between them.

so id press button 1
right click gump

press button 2
right click gump

ect ect ect

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
weird. Mine recorded me right clicking the menu to close it. I've re-recorded many times as I've progressed and it's worked every time.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Surprised nobody has tested the variation I mentioned...it saves not only resources but also a great deal of your time.

Double Imbues...do first mod twice
Triple imbues...do second mod 3 times

Why? Its simple, if you fail on the first mod during double imbues(with the standard one imbue method) you will use up resources and time during the remainder of the macro. The chances to gain are limited during these failures. By just adding one more try to the modifier...the added chance of success will help make those gains fly.

(two days to 120...no scripts...only uoassist)

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

I thought in the same way but solved it in a different manner.

*Many people do not make macros,they click by hand.

*They who make one macro maybe solve the problem in other way.
I for instance made my macro in two property imbuing so the first property had higher successrate than proposed in guide,about 80 at least.Then I eyeballed the messages I got from macro so if I fail on the first property I stopped the macro !
:thumbsup:

*After I read Petras guide how to set up 3 macros I did it that way instead.

Regards
The Scandinavian

E

Evlar

So having just hit 70 after starting from 40 the other day, I get the impression this is going to be a very, very long weekend...:bored:

Oh well... it'll be worth it when I get there I suppose lol.

Corpse

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How much residue total amount would i need around, to 120 imbue using this guide?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I would say around 20-30k I have seen people post and say 10k and seen people say alot more I switched to imbuing loot around 80 and have gone from 80 to 119 using about 5k atmost.. but its time consuming sorting loot that way!
so while I am not sure that seems to be a good average range from my own experiance and from posts I have seen! maybe some will post who have done it the whole way!

O

OxAO

Just finished this after I put the resources together it took me 4 days from zero to 120 on Napa valley

Costs(actually made more incase I went over but this is the real costs):
210,000 Oakwood made bows in order to make approximately 30,000 magical Residue

Normal Citrine gems 31,000
Normal Amber gems 14,000

Approximately:
15,000 leather
35,000 ingots

For the 120 skill scroll you will need 500 Enchanted Essence in order to buy 10 of the 115 scrolls you will need some bark and a cook with water pitcher.
in order to make the Enchanted Essence you will need a 110 scroll you can turn in some magical Residue for this. The turn in is random if you get a 105 or 110 scroll on this turn in.

Oh and thank goodness i found a soul forge for sale... seems like a cetch 22 you can not make one until you are trained up in the skill.

I also put together 15 dull copper and shadow hammers... I read someplace you can make rulic fragments with them (will do that soon).

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
great info OxAO I was sure that 20-30K was about right!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I switched to imbuing loot around 80 and have gone from 80 to 119 using about 5k atmost.
Are you sure? I think this is impossible. I am training imbuing with a human character on a crafted soul forge (i.e. without any skill bonuses), and it took me at least 5k Residue to get from 80 to 88. And the higher the skill, the more will be consumed.

I am now at 88 skill, imbued 8% Reflect Physical to exceptional Platemail Jingasas (crafted with 100 Arms Lore) with a success chance of 60%, using up 2 Residue and 5 Citrine for each imbue. I got a skill gain on average after every 30 imbues.

Am I doing something wrong?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am wondering whether this guide is really efficient. I just reached 88 Imbuing with my human. I am using a crafted soul-forge for training only. I have been imbuing Platemail Jingasas (exceptional, crafted with 100 Arms Lore) with 8% Reflect Physical (cost: 2 Residue, 5 Citrine) with a 60% success chance. I imbue every Jingasa 10 times before unraveling. Which costs me 19 Residue per Jingasa.

I just figured out that if I imbue the Jingasa once with 5% RPD and then nine times with 5% LRC, I have a cost of only 9 Residue per Jingasa (similar success chance, i.e. similar skill gain).

That's half the Residue cost!!!

As gems are irrelevant (they can be bought on bulk for not too much gold) and Residue are really more difficult to get, I wonder why anyone would waste so much Residue with the first method? You should switch to dual imbuing much sooner (maybe at 86 skill). Also, contrary to above guide, I think the success chance should always be BELOW 60 for optimal gains.

Btw., I also switched from the Dagger to the Samurai Plate method MUCH sooner (maybe around 75 skill), as the dagger method slowed skill gain down A LOT above 75, and the plate method didn't really require much more Residue.

What do you think?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe the people with low residue use are probably NOT doing the "repeat last imbue on the item till it hits 10 successes" method.

If you unravel after the base attempts (the properties to get to level gain, be it 1, 2 or 3), factoring in the recovered residue, you'll need a lot more items to imbue - but use a lot less residue - compared to "imbue property 1, imbue property 2, repeat property 2 eight times".

Something to consider, especially if you have a reliable source of iron, and are willing to spent a little extra time making stuff to imbue.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the people with low residue use are probably NOT doing the "repeat last imbue on the item till it hits 10 successes" method.

If you unravel after the base attempts (the properties to get to level gain, be it 1, 2 or 3), factoring in the recovered residue, you'll need a lot more items to imbue - but use a lot less residue - compared to "imbue property 1, imbue property 2, repeat property 2 eight times".

Something to consider, especially if you have a reliable source of iron, and are willing to spent a little extra time making stuff to imbue.
I am aware of that. If you unravel after each successful attempt, you'll go crazy with crafting items (I suffered through that period with the daggers). It will slow skill gain down A LOT(it approximately takes 20 times as long, because you have to go through the Imbuing menus after each successful attempt). Thus, I am trying to find a way that is less annying (i.e. reimbuing 9 times) but still without burning unnecessary Residue.

The method described in the guide here burns twice as much Residue as necessary, without any speed advantage.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lessee, I can see that your method increases the number of mouse clicks per item by about 50%.

That's the advantage the other method has - less finger fatigue.

Why have I had to explain this, what, 5 times already in less than 80 replies?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lessee, I can see that your method increases the number of mouse clicks per item by about 50%.

That's the advantage the other method has - less finger fatigue.

Why have I had to explain this, what, 5 times already in less than 80 replies?
Not true. I have to go through the menu only 1 more time in 10 imbues. That is when I do the first imbue. The 9 remaining imbues are merely repeated.

That's my point. Not noticably more mouse clicks, but way less resources to be used.

But never mind. I just thought this information might be useful to others. I don't want to force it on anybody. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Please check your math:

Your way:
7 actions plus last click for property 1
7 actions plus click for property 2
8 repeat clicks

= 27 clicks

the other way:
10 actions plus click for one property
9 repeats
= 20 clicks

that's closer to 1/4 to 1/3, but is STILL significantly less clicks per item.

If you imbue 100 items per session while training, that's 700 less mouse clicks than your method.

Not everyone has UOAssist, or can get UOAssist to behave enough to get others' macros to work.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Question from a starting Imbuer here!

What makes imbuing the daggers with Hit Dispel better than Luck? Luck seems to be much more flexible in setting your success chance as u like... And the costs are ... well similar I think? (Just did 50 - 51 so lacking further, higher knowledge.) Also Hit Dispel started a bit too low on only 40% success chance so that is why i was stubborn.

Question 2, why should we use more daggers and not just one? It seems we can reimbue as often as we like and gain several times of the same one?

Hope any expert can shine light on these matters for me! Thanks! :eek:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Q1. Answer: Luck takes significantly more clicks of the mouse than dispel (which goes up in increments of 2%, plus half the range). each 2% increment of dispel (1 click) is equal to 4 luck, so that's 3 less mouse clicks for each increment of dispel (8% dispel is 3 mouse clicks, compared to 15 mouse clicks for the equivalent 16 luck, or 12 extra clicks per item for the same intensity). It's easier on your mouse trigger finger.

Q2. Answer: You can imbue an item 10 total times before the chance to gain falls to nearly none after the 10th success.
IF one imbues an item once and unravels it, you'll get a significant part of your residue back. However, if you imbue the same item 10 times with the same property (or once with property one, then 9 times with property 2), you'll only get the same residue back you'd have gotten without the repeats. So, you end up using 9-10 times more residue.
It comes down, which is cheaper for you - ingots (or items to use as you training base), or Residue.
If Residue is cheaper, imbue it for the 10 times before unraveling.
If ingots/items are cheaper, imbue the minimum times needed, then unravel for maximum residue return,
Either method will, in the end, use a lot of gems (only when you start doing one "Setup" property, followed by a different, cheaper, property that gets repeated 8 times, does that method become cheaper).

I'm personally using the 1 imbue and unravel method for now, to recover residue, but will switch to the 10-imbue-per-item shortly after getting into the area where one starts doing two different properties per item.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question from a starting Imbuer here!

What makes imbuing the daggers with Hit Dispel better than Luck? Luck seems to be much more flexible in setting your success chance as u like... And the costs are ... well similar I think? (Just did 50 - 51 so lacking further, higher knowledge.) Also Hit Dispel started a bit too low on only 40% success chance so that is why i was stubborn.

Question 2, why should we use more daggers and not just one? It seems we can reimbue as often as we like and gain several times of the same one?

Hope any expert can shine light on these matters for me! Thanks! :eek:
1. You can imbue any property you like, as long as you keep the success chance between 50 and 60%. If Luck requires the same resources, then it is no difference.

2. Using more daggers saves Residue. Example: You imbue a dagger at an intensity that requires 1 Residue. If you imbue it 10 times and then unravel it, you need at least 9 Residue. If you imbue 10 daggers 1 time and unravel them all afterwards, you can get all Residue back from unraveling. The latter method takes a lot more time though.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please check your math:

Your way:
7 actions plus last click for property 1
7 actions plus click for property 2
8 repeat clicks

= 27 clicks

the other way:
10 actions plus click for one property
9 repeats
= 20 clicks

that's closer to 1/4 to 1/3, but is STILL significantly less clicks per item.

If you imbue 100 items per session while training, that's 700 less mouse clicks than your method.

Not everyone has UOAssist, or can get UOAssist to behave enough to get others' macros to work.

Yeah, yeah, you're right! :) I wonder what the result would be if you'd count all the mouse clicks you have to make in order to gather the excess Residue you will need for the single-imbues. ;) No, let's stop the discussion at this point. Everybody has to figure out for himself what the preferred method is. I personally find it rather painful to gather residue, and I do not imbue 100 items per sessions, but rather 10, so I can live with a few more clicks.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks for your answers guys!! We feel residue is so easy, and even fun, to gather that saving on residue is no priority for us at all. That is why we were thinking why not just use 1, far less annoying than selecting a new target all the time. (We didn't notice that chances for gains drop after 10 succesful imbues, since we didn't need that many gains to get 1 point up hehe.) Gives us a new question though:
If you imbue an item succesfully 10 times, but are still without gain, can u give up on it? And better move on to the next dagger/jingasa/whatever? ie, we should count the succesful attempts per item?

And another thing, this time about unraveling, hope it is not out of place:

On our guild forum, we were having a discussion abt the amount of residue u get at different skill levels of imbuing. We figured, to really know what we are talking about we need more testing. We were hoping to kill off our fear of unraveling EE items too soon and with that wasting Essence because of too low skill. We succeeded with the test to kill those fears, instead, our opinion from above got strengthened by it!!

Here is what we did on Testcenter:
As GM Carpenter we crafted first 18 Oak Bokuto's with 45 DI (and 40 luck obviously). Unraveled 9 with 51 imbue skill, got 21 residue. Unraveled 9 with 120 skill: 16 residue!!!
This begged for more tests, so we did the same with 20 in a bag. 51 skill scored 44 residue, 120 Skill scored 40. We had 4 Bokuto's with 40 DI instead, so with minimal items again a small test:
51skill 2 -> 4
120skill 2 -> 3

Then we gathered a bunch of artifacts from the bank, made a second TC char and made 2 similar bags, with the exact same items inside. 12 items that Item ID put down as EE quality, and 10 items that were said to be good enough for Relic Fragments in other another bag.
On a side note, the Peasant Bokuto, The Destroyer, and the Dread Pirate hat all were said to be good for EE, but when trying to unravel we were left with those 3 items (and 14 residue) on 51 skill, while the 120 skill test got us 12 residue and 3 relics.
Then it was time to have a look at the relics, but both on 95,1 and 120 skill it seemed a 1 on 1 change, 1 item gets 1 relic. (Also the 3 leftovers from previous test became 3 relics.)

Rested 1 more thing, what if we have no Imbuing at all? So we made 20 more bokuto's and got also 44 residue for those. But then 9 more resulted in 18 residue instead of the 21...

In a summary:
On 0 skill
9 bokuto -> 18 MR
20 bokuto -> 44 MR

On 51 skill
9 bok -> 21 MR
20 bok -> 44 MR
2 bok -> 4 MR
9/12 arties -> 14 MR (+ 3 relic items)

On 95,1 skill
10 arties -> 10 RF

On 120 skill
9 bok -> 16 MR
20 bok -> 40 MR
2 bok -> 3 MR
9/12 arties -> 12 MR (+ 3 relic items)
10 arties -> 10 RF

Ok, given, these few tests are not enough to conclude our assumption is right, but it was enough to squash our fears to unravel our 7 EE bags of loot. (And all future EE loot.) It may not be always more, but it certainly seems not to give less resources for imbuing, when unraveling at medium skill. That was our goal, not posting on here so that is why the tests are minimal. But it gives a bit of food for thought. We wanted to share this with our guildies so wrote this out, and then Rainqueen asked us to post this on stratics as well. Since many experienced imbuers get to have a look at it this way, and may share their thoughts.

Sorry for the long post, take care all!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you imbue an item succesfully 10 times, but are still without gain, can u give up on it? And better move on to the next dagger/jingasa/whatever? ie, we should count the succesful attempts per item?
You only can imbue an item 10 times. You should count the successful attempts, because if you try to imbue more than 10 times you will get an error, but the resources are consumed nevertheless.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks again!! Sorry if I amz annoying, but it raises another question... :eek:
If we imbue 1 luck on a dagger, 10 times success, can we next imbue 2 luck on that same dagger or is that still seen as 11 attempts? (As u can see, we don't like to make new daggers all the time... Imbuer is no crafter, so hassle.)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, yeah, you're right! :) I wonder what the result would be if you'd count all the mouse clicks you have to make in order to gather the excess Residue you will need for the single-imbues. ;) No, let's stop the discussion at this point. Everybody has to figure out for himself what the preferred method is. I personally find it rather painful to gather residue, and I do not imbue 100 items per sessions, but rather 10, so I can live with a few more clicks.
OK, wiseguy:

It's ONE CLICK to get the residue back FOR ANY NUMBER OF ITEMS UP TO 124, if you are using an Unraveling Bag.

IF you've not discovered the unraveling bag sold by the same NPCs that give the PS/runic mallet quests, then you're doing yourself a great disservice, and making things extremely much harder on yourself.

If you're not using an unravel bag, you're adding 9 EXTRA clicks and targets to your 10 items per, over and above the difference I've already pointed out. After all, all you have to do is put your raw materials in the unraveling bag, and have the crafter MAKE them in it, before the imbuer works on it (make max does wonders, now that both clients have it and it doesn't stop for failures). Moving bought items would be a little longer, but can be automated with UOAssist, IIRC.

Doing them in 10s, instead of a larger number, also results in many more clicks than needed, with or without the bag. Your way (10 at a time), but with the bag, takes 4 more clicks than doing 50 at a time in the bag. Your way WITHOUT the bag, is 49 more clicks!

And, while it takes a lot more items to use (and therefore increasing the clicks), if your real hassle is finding enough residue, imbuing more items less times before unraveling (instead of imbuing every item 10 times) will substantially reduce your residue expenditure (at the expense of increasing your need for items to imbue - but iron, leather and wood are cheap compared to residue).

That actually relates to the one part of your reply that makes sense - everyone has to find their comfortable spot. There are really three variables in the training process: Items imbued, residue consumed (after factoring in your return from unraveling the imbued items), and amount of mouse clicks to do the process. Minimizing the first, massively increases the second, with a minor decrease in the 3rd. Minimizing the second results in a massive increase of the first, while causing a minor increase to the 3rd. Minimizing the last causes a moderate increase of the first two.

It all comes down to trade-offs - but misrepresenting things to derail this FAQ does no one any good. And, that's what you appear to be attempting, unless you really didn't know that the unravel bag exists (which is a possibility, I admit - some people are still finding out about the salvage bags (and their superiority over the UOAssist recycle agent), almost 2 years after they were introduced).

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's ONE CLICK to get the residue back FOR ANY NUMBER OF ITEMS UP TO 124, if you are using an Unraveling Bag.
123 is max for unravel bag to unravel. 125 max for backpack, 1 used for bag and 1 must be free for residue.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No need to be unfriendly, Basra. Of course I know about unravel bags. I was more referring to the work of gatherin items to be unraveled. But never mind.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks again!! Sorry if I amz annoying, but it raises another question... :eek:
If we imbue 1 luck on a dagger, 10 times success, can we next imbue 2 luck on that same dagger or is that still seen as 11 attempts? (As u can see, we don't like to make new daggers all the time... Imbuer is no crafter, so hassle.)
If you imbue 1 luck 10 times on a dagger, you have imbued the dagger 10 times, and cannot imbue it anymore (no matter what property you choose).

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you imbue 1 luck 10 times on a dagger, you have imbued the dagger 10 times, and cannot imbue it anymore (no matter what property you choose).
You can imbue more 10 times. You have almost no chances to gain skill instead. I imbied 15 times for testing.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No need to be unfriendly, Basra. Of course I know about unravel bags. I was more referring to the work of gatherin items to be unraveled. But never mind.
So, Needing LESS material that comes from unraveling makes you have to unravel MORE items outside the imbuing process?

Pardon me if I don't see the math...

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hawkeye's saving residue method will be perfect for us, and anyone not spending hours n hours per day trying to raise imbuing extremely fast. His point was very obvious that there's a LOT of mouseclicks involved in gathering loot for residue too. So no need to be annoying towards him. rolleyes:
It's just all abt 2 different ways to gain, 1 to become Leg imbuer asap, another more relaxed style which doesn't need to consider mouse clicks.

W

Wiseguy

Well here's what I've been doing to train up to 115 so far. Aside from early stupidity that ate up my supplies of gems, I've had to buy very little. It isn't a optimized way to gain but it adds a bit of entertainment back to the play. It's pretty cheap actually and you don't need much skills.

I use a hunter to gather the loot. I do the miniboss spawns, so I get to collect the ingredients. I also carry an unravel bag and just grab all the loot. Then I drop off the bag at home where my mule artificer to be takes over. I go through each item for the percentage of success to be between 45-70. I just do energy resists. It's not too expensive. This way I don't have to imbue different properties. If it falls in my range, I imbue it, otherwise I unravel it. This way has been fairly cheap. I get a pretty steady supply of residue to work with. I usually add 1 or 2 to the resist as that only takes 1 residue and 1gem. It is also less clicks to setup and then I just hit reimbue last until 10 successes. I do use an UOA macro that invokes the skill, easier than double clicking the rectagle skill box. After a while you get the hang of what intensity your loot is by looking at it. That saves the step of checking when you know something like rings with 1 skill isn't gonna do it.

I would say out of a bag of 75 items, your ratio of items to keep for imbuing decline. I also use a home forge to lower the success rate.

Not the super fast way but at least its quite cheap

K

killer instinct

The thread there has gone a little long with comments, so consolidating things here a bit.

Original test Used a gargoyle character with a crafted soulforge.
Modifications were more often than not done in Ter Mur, with different kinds of characters (not just gargoyles).

1. If a new character, set imbuing to 50 at creation, especially on SP/Mugen (but you will immediately start with a lack of components - easy enough to get to 40 on all other shards, so I suggest going the second route)
2. Otherwise purchase from an NPC artificer (40%) after training up to 25 skill (Unless on Siege/Mugen, where you have to work the entire way up from 0)
No gains off fails - only off successes. Gains under 25 can be from unraveling, and work like cooking gains (1 gain check per item, if using the bag, so you can get multiple multi-point gains from one bag of items).
3. Note that what gives gains for you, might be different from this chart or anyone else, due to combinations of character race, forge used, Power Scroll used, and what you perceive to by your optimum gain range,

0 - 25 Skill: unravel items (you'll need the residue you get from this, anyway).
Note: Residue returned will vary, and one can unravel items made of special material (so making junk with normal tools, with oak wood, and perhaps other crafter's stuff - experiment and find out!), are a good source; alternatively, make items with normal material using low-end runics, but some of the items will end up not unravelable until 50.1 skill, and then for Enchanted Essence). When Petra did this initial test during Beta, she got less than 500 Residue. When Basara did the same after the official release, using the Ter Mur public soulforge with a human, he got over 800 Residue, long before reaching 20 skill.

25 - 50 Skill: Imbue exceptional leather caps with reflect physical damage (preferably, make items with GM Arms Lore character, to increase difficulty). Suggest buying up to 40 skill from 25 at this point, if allowed on your shard.
Note: Recommendation is to unravel items after 1 success on each, to get residue back (will keep you training longer, if you have someone to supply you with the items to imbue). Alternative is to re-imbue each item the full 10 times, which will consume much more residue, but require less items to work with.

25-27 Skill: Imbue to 4%. cost 1 residue, 2 citrine.
27-30 Skill: Imbue to 5% rpd; citrine cost goes up from 2 to 3.
30-33 Skill: Imbue to 6% rpd; cost now 2 residue, 4 citrine.
33-37 Skill: Imbue to 7% rpd; cost remains 2 + 4.
37-40 Skill: Imbue to 8% rpd; cost now 2 + 5
Start point for skill bought up to 40.
40-43 Skill: Imbue to 9% rpd; cost 3 + 6
44-46 Skill: Imbue to 10% rpd; cost 3 + 6
46-49 Skill: Imbue to 11% rpd; cost 3 + 7
49-50 Skill: Imbue to 12% or 13% rpd; both cost 4 + 8

Starting at 50, Imbue hit dispel on Exceptional daggers; consider skipping one step (example: doing the 54-58 rank at 50-54), if using the Ter Mur forge, for better gains.

50-54 Skill: Imbue 2% Hit Dispel (base amount); cost is 1 residue & 1 amber.
54-58 Skill: Imbue 4%; same cost.
58-60 Skill: Imbue 6%; same cost.
60-62 Skill: Imbue 8%; same cost.
62-64 Skill: Imbue 10%; cost is 1 residue, 2 amber
64-66 Skill: Imbue 12%; cost 1 + 2
66-68 Skill: Imbue 14%; cost 1 + 2
68-70 Skill: Imbue 16%; Cost 1 + 3

At 70 Skill, one has two choices. Keep progessing on the daggers (one can get to 44% Hit Dispel using only residue & amber, and is at 4 residue, 8 amber at that point), or change to something that has Mage Armor as an automatic property (exceptional Plate Hiro Sode) and go back to adding Reflect Physical. The latter uses more ingots, but less resources, while also requiring a good talisman and (preferably) an Acient Smithy Hammer to make as exceptional reliably. It is left up to the person Training to make the call as to the desired route.

Dagger w/dispel route:

70-72 Skill: Imbue 18%; cost is 1 residue + 3 amber
72-74 Skill: Imbue 20%; cost 2 + 4
74-76 Skill: Imbue 22%; cost 2 + 4
76-77 Skill: Imbue 24%; Cost 2 + 4
77-78 Skill: Imbue 26%; Cost 2 + 5
78-79 Skill: Imbue 28%; cost 2 + 5
79-80 Skill: Imbue 30%; cost 3 + 6
80-81 Skill: Imbue 32%; cost 3 + 6
81-82 Skill: Imbue 34%; Cost 3 + 6
82-83 Skill: Imbue 36%; cost 3 + 7
83-84 Skill: Imbue 38%; cost 3 + 7
84-85 Skill: Imbue 40%; Cost 4 + 8 (anytime in the 84-87 range is a good time to switch to the Samurai plate method)
85-86 Skill: Imbue 42%; Cost 4 + 8
86-87 Skill: Imbue 44%; Cost 4 + 8

Starting at 87 add 2nd property (to daggers with 40%+ hit dispel & 36-40% DI); save the daggers for additional imbuing.
The property can be any of the Hit Area, but Hit Energy is the cheapest (gem cost)
87-89 Skill: 2% hit (energy) area;
89-90 Skill: 4%
90-108 Skill (increment one step each time a new xx.0 skill reached)

Start at 108 add 3rd property (to daggers with the hit dispel, hit area effect & DI on them)
108-109: Resist (any) 1%
109-120: Increment Resist amount added 1 step every xxx.0 skill, up to 12% at 119-120.

Resources used (without quantities) Magic residue, enchanted essence, citrine, amber, amethyst (this could have been any of the other gems relating to area effect or resist)
No mining gems, no lumber resources, no relic fragments.

Samurai Plate Route for 70-120 (From R Traveler and suggested modifications by others). Note: R Traveler has left gaps in his posts (and is currently at 109 of their own training, apparently), so I'm making best guesses to fill them, based on the obvious patterns.

Items: Exceptional Plate Jingasa (found in Helmets menu) recommended, but any of the SE Plate items will work.
These start out as Mage armor, so automatically are treated as 140% weighted property. Ingredient costs will be as for the leather caps done to the same amount of RPD. Note: due to the difficulty and cost of making these items TO imbue, one should imbue them all out to 10 times, before unraveling, and take the loss on the lost residue (the daggers are so cheap, it's best to imbue the one time, then unravel, until you get to the point of adding two properties).

70-72 Skill: Imbue 1% rpd (10 times)
72-74 Skill: Imbue 2% rpd (10 times)
74-76 Skill: Imbue 3% rpd (10 times)
76-78 Skill: Imbue 4% rpd (10 times)
78-80 Skill: Imbue 5% rpd (10 times)
80-82 Skill: Imbue 6% rpd (10 times)
82-84 Skill: Imbue 7% rpd (10 times)
84-86 Skill: Imbue 8% rpd (10 times) * (Suggested point for the people using Dagger method to switch to this one)
86-88 Skill: Imbue 9% rpd (10 times)
88-90 Skill: Imbue 10% rpd (10 times, or save for 90+)
90 Skill - two skill Imbues begin:
90-92 1st mod 10rpd (once), 2nd mod 1 lrc (9 times)
93-94 1st mod 11rpd (once), 2nd mod 1 lrc (9 times)
94-95 1st mod 12rpd (once), 2nd mod 1 lrc (9 times)
95-98 1st mod 13rpd (once), 2nd mod 1 lrc (9 times)
98-100 1st mod 13rpd (once), 2nd mod 2 lrc (9 times)
100-102 1st mod 13rpd (once), 2nd mod 3 lrc (9 times)
102-104 1st mod 13rpd (once), 2nd mod 5 lrc (9 times)
104-105 1st mod 13rpd (once), 2nd mod 7 lrc (9 times)
105-109 1st mod 13rpd (once), 2nd mod 8 lrc (9 times)
106-107 1st mod 13rpd (once), 2nd mod 9 lrc (9 times)
107-108 1st mod 13rpd (once), 2nd mod 10 lrc (9 times)
108-109 1st mod 13rpd (once), 2nd mod 11 lrc (9 times)
109: 3 mod imbuing begins
109-112 1st mod 13 rpd (once), 2nd mod 11 lrc (once), 3rd mod 1 luck (8 times)
112-113.5 1st mod 13 rpd (once), 2nd mod 11 lrc (once), 3rd mod 10 luck (8 times)
113.5-115 1st mod 13 rpd (once), 2nd mod 11 lrc (once), 3rd mod 19 luck (8 times)
115-118 1st mod 13 rpd (once), 2nd mod 18 lrc (once), 3rd mod 1 luck (8 times)
118-120 1st mod 13 rpd (once), 2nd mod 18 lrc (once), 3rd mod 10 luck (8 times)

and.. unraveling stuff made at 105-120 gives essence, you'll get enough to get 10x115 scrolls to combine them to 120 scroll.
I have been using this method to 110.3.Gains are fine.I just don't see the enchanted essence from unraveling my imbues.Not complaining, just curious as to getting enough essence for a 120 scroll.I am not hurting for essence either.Just saying.

L

LadyMargaret

thanks to everyone for the guide, I finally made it to 120.

I must say this is the most expensive skill I've seen.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gains under 25 can be from unraveling, and work like cooking gains (1 gain check per item, if using the bag, so you can get multiple multi-point gains from one bag of items
After the new publish I think you can raise imbuing pretty high just by unraweling. My gains seemed to slow down alot at 70.0 imbuing.
I used dull copper hammers to create golden daggers... each hammer would gain me aprox 0.5 inbuing and give me 150 reds and 30 greens :)

Status
Not open for further replies.