• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Tactics stuck

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive had problems raising tactics on all my pets lately, new tamed beetles, nightmares, my GD. I dont get it, ive tried training on shadow elementals, untamed GDs, but tactics wont budge beyond pre-tame and below GM. Anyone have any suggestions or what to do or what to try to train on??

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depending on what you're training and what you're training on, the monster skill level may be out of the range of your pet skill level.

i.e. If you have a newly trained greater dragon with 97 tactics, and happen to spawn a shadow elemental with 65 tactics, you will never gain a point of tactics on that elemental.

Contrariwise, if you have a nightmare with 60 tactics and an elemental with 91 tacitcs, you will never gain tactics fighting that elemental.

My guide is about 20 points, plus or minus between your creature's skills and the target's skills.

Either that or just take it out hunting. Do a few champion spawns and your dragon will be perfect.

J

[JD]

the shadow elementals seem to respawn every day... or may respawn.

if they respawn they have low melee, tac, anat skills unless some other tamer has already worked them up

if they are too low you wont gain. you will actually have to fight the elemental to let IT TRAIN off your pet, and then when its within the right range, your pet can gain from it

high tactics creatures can be searched in the db, but i can tell you tsuki wolves and miasma are good for tactics near/above gm

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive had problems raising tactics on all my pets lately, new tamed beetles, nightmares, my GD. I dont get it, ive tried training on shadow elementals, untamed GDs, but tactics wont budge beyond pre-tame and below GM. Anyone have any suggestions or what to do or what to try to train on??
You need to be training your pet on something with around the same skills before it'll gain efficiently. I look for the lowest skills a pet has and use those figures to select the first training monsters, that way I avoid having low starting skills like tactics trailing behind the others. As a pet trains up, you'll get to the point where all the skills are around the same level gaining evenly. Where possible I train in dungeons on casting spawn, then magic resist gets trained up too.

Wenchy

O

Old Man of UO

the shadow elementals seem to respawn every day... or may respawn.

if they respawn they have low melee, tac, anat skills unless some other tamer has already worked them up
Almost... wrestling, tactics are resist values are random, within set ranges, when the shadow elemental spawns. Anatomy is always zero. You can kill off an elemental and another will respawn with different values. I do this until I get one that has the skills within +/- 20 or wrestling and tactics (although I believe the absolute values for gaining are +/- 25). Anatomy and magic resist values don't matter for gains.

Also, if you have discord you can usually get the training target and your pet very close and your pet will gain even faster. I've trained dozens of cu sidhe for sale this way.