• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"Pet seems squishy" Pet Defence Question

SouthPaw

Lore Master
On multiple threads here I've seen people make comments like, "X pet seems squishy compared to Y pet."

Do pets have an unlisted defense modifier that doesn't show on the lore screen or is this simply a case of people using a pet with low resist on a mob that uses that damage type, or using a pet that does X damage type against a mob that has high resist in that same damage type?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The K Krew hate when I say that because there is no math to support it. But take a Lesser to T rex and a Cold drake with the same set up and the drake takes more damage. T rex does 100% physical damage. Cold Drake should do more damage to it.

Maybe my Cold Drakes have bad RNG. But a few heals evens it out.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Pawain, I assume in your example/experience that both of those pets mentioned have the same physical resist, HP regen, wrestling/parry skill? There's so many stats/skills to consider in this experiment. Any chance you can post the 2 pets lore pages assuming you still have the pets?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pawain, I assume in your example/experience that both of those pets mentioned have the same physical resist, HP regen, wrestling/parry skill? There's so many stats/skills to consider in this experiment. Any chance you can post the 2 pets lore pages assuming you still have the pets?
Yes I have a bunch of 110 pets. Cold Drake has high cold resist so their cold/poisons resists are not same. but, have you not heard of the "Pawain method" of setting rsists all 80 in the important 3. Also my chiv drake has higher tactics 124 vs 110 on the lesser.

But, like I said, a few heals even them out. Build all the pets types you can and see what you like. Dont eliminate a pet type for any reason.

A Cold Drake is on my list of "Must have" pets. Squishy or not.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have a cold drake in stable now awaiting bonding in a few days. Will be interesting to compare it to my pp WW.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can answer that Strength / damage question with those on TC drone. Copy is down now tho.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
You can answer that Strength / damage question with those on TC drone. Copy is down now tho.
Still on Endless Journey account, but planning to subscribe soon. Will be nice to be able to use my bank and TC. Wondering if vet rewards will kick in all the way back to 2003 or if the timer will start over.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If on same account the time will be saved and continue.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I
On multiple threads here I've seen people make comments like, "X pet seems squishy compared to Y pet."

Do pets have an unlisted defense modifier that doesn't show on the lore screen or is this simply a case of people using a pet with low resist on a mob that uses that damage type, or using a pet that does X damage type against a mob that has high resist in that same damage type?
I think "squishy" is a registered trademark of Pawain Incorporated. You'll have to pay a small royalty when you use it, but it's set up to automatically deducted from your bank when you log in to UO. It's like the fee for stabling pets. ;)

I don't think there is a "hidden" suck factor coded into some pets, but I think this is just the departure zone between "on paper" good, and "in the field" good.

I've had pets, that I thought would be good, and they had all the qualities of "on paper" good, but they sucked when I used them in the game and I booted them out of the stable. The opposite too, where a pet should be kind of a loser but turned out really good with its set of compromises. There's a lot of factors (Char build, game play, masteries, scrolls on the pet, and maybe even connection speed(?), and definitely more) that would contribute to this and I think it starts to exceed the ability to model and predict which is what "on paper" gives you. I guess if I had to pick a word salad word to describe it, I'd say "synergy".

I think it's important to listen to the "on paper" modeling and share numerical findings, but then build a prototype and see if that build works for you "in the field". This is also why it's helpful to hear other people's field reports and get some ideas on what to try that's best for all of your in game factors. A squishy pet is no fun.