• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet owner limit

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It one point in UO history there was a limit to the number of owners a pet could have, 5 if memory serves.

Questions:
Does that limit still exist?
If so, is there any way to check this?
If so, does transferring the pet to a new shard reset this?

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
On test center in 2018, I observed behaviour of a wild pet unable to be tamed by anyone other than original owner.

I don't know if this was some legacy stuff that was left behind.
I could trade the pet just fine after taming of last owner.

Will try if this is the case in 2021.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On test center in 2018, I observed behaviour of a wild pet unable to be tamed by anyone other than original owner.

I don't know if this was some legacy stuff that was left behind.
I could trade the pet just fine after taming of last owner.

Will try if this is the case in 2021.
When you release a bonded pet the original owner is usually the only one that can re tame it. Also I think its the same if it goes wild.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It used to be by the 4th or 5th owner, the pet would become difficult, not listen to commands as much, lose loyalty quickly, etc. They would almost become unusable by that point.

Is this confirmed anywhere that the number of different owners a pet has no longer matters?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It used to be by the 4th or 5th owner, the pet would become difficult, not listen to commands as much, lose loyalty quickly, etc. They would almost become unusable by that point.

Is this confirmed anywhere that the number of different owners a pet has no longer matters?
By players who have traded pets around many times. We just made a complete circle.

No. We transfer pets to different owners a lot.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
When you release a bonded pet the original owner is usually the only one that can re tame it. Also I think its the same if it goes wild.
This is usually not true for fresh cu sidhes that are tame/released. Although the number of re-tame attempts to get it tamed goes up a lot.
Compared to with spawned cu, it's a bit*h to re-tame if you arent the original tamer. (accurate as of 2021-04-10)

If you tame and release a few more times, it seems like you cant tame it.
So the old 5 owner limit may still be there in a way. Transfers are not effected, (this was true as of my testing in 2018-04, I havent tested it in recent times)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is usually not true for fresh cu sidhes that are tame/released. Although the number of re-tame attempts to get it tamed goes up a lot.
Compared to with spawned cu, it's a bit*h to re-tame if you arent the original tamer. (accurate as of 2021-04-10)

If you tame and release a few more times, it seems like you cant tame it.
So the old 5 owner limit may still be there in a way. Transfers are not effected, (this was true as of my testing in 2018-04, I havent tested it in recent times)
That's why I said bonded. I think they want to avoid a free for all if a pet goes wild. Some players have had to change races to get their cu back because others can not tame it for them.