• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet magery skill level

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What impact does higher magery, 110+, have on a pet? Better damage (seems like this would be eval)? I have never seen a pet fizzle a spell, and I do not believe they have the ability to cast any level 8 spells... never seen an EQ.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Magery does not affect spell damage at all, except for 2 spells on a Magery Mastery pet, Mind Blast and Death Ray. Higher Magery on pets just means slightly bigger heals, and more effective cures.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is Death Ray really effective? Doesn't the pet always do something else immediately which stops the death ray even before it hits once?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For pets, Death Ray mostly turns out to be a waste of Mana. If the pet is tanking the mob, and initiates a Death Ray, oftentimes the pet will take a hit that interrupts the Death Ray before it even ticks once, still sucking down the Mana to initiate the Death Ray in the first place. If the pet isn't tanking, and initiates a Death Ray, then he completely stops melee attacking during the Death Ray channel, losing out on the damage from that. The pet melee attacking while casting normal Magery spells at the same time, out damages a pet's Death Ray channel. Death Ray sucks for pets.

Death Ray is only really worth it for players with Slayer Spellbooks, it shines then. There's a specific template, my patented Death Ray Tamer/Mage ©, that makes great use of Disco+Conductive Blast Tritons, Cus, or Unicorns to deal some massive damage with Death Ray. I've seen 400+ damage Death Ray ticks before with it, and that's on top of whatever damage my pet deals.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For pets, Death Ray mostly turns out to be a waste of Mana. If the pet is tanking the mob, and initiates a Death Ray, oftentimes the pet will take a hit that interrupts the Death Ray before it even ticks once, still sucking down the Mana to initiate the Death Ray in the first place. If the pet isn't tanking, and initiates a Death Ray, then he completely stops melee attacking during the Death Ray channel, losing out on the damage from that. The pet melee attacking while casting normal Magery spells at the same time, out damages a pet's Death Ray channel. Death Ray sucks for pets.

Death Ray is only really worth it for players with Slayer Spellbooks, it shines then. There's a specific template, my patented Death Ray Tamer/Mage ©, that makes great use of Disco+Conductive Blast Tritons, Cus, or Unicorns to deal some massive damage with Death Ray. I've seen 400+ damage Death Ray ticks before with it, and that's on top of whatever damage my pet deals.
I don't know why I've never thought about doing this. I've always just kept my taming mastery up for consume damage. Looks like I have some fun testing to do!

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know why I've never thought about doing this. I've always just kept my taming mastery up for consume damage. Looks like I have some fun testing to do!
The Death Ray Tamer/Mage © can deal absurd amounts of damage in the right circumstances. You just have to keep the limitations of Death Ray (no moving, any hit interrupts it) in mind. Death Ray itself deals Energy damage, while also reducing the victim's Energy Resist by 10 (stacks with other resist debuffs). The best pet for it is a Disco+Conductive Blast Triton. The Triton can heal itself, will inflict a -14 (bosses) to -28 resists debuff at 120 Disco, and once he lands the Disco, he'll spam Conductive Blast, which halves the victim's Energy Resist. If another Tamer has a Beetle with Rune Corruption, that'll also stack to even further lower resists (including Energy). Death Ray works with Slayer spellbooks, so a Lesser Slayer spell book will triple the damage. It's like a mini WoD going off every 3 secs at any Health %. SDI has no effect on Death Ray.

Even if there's too much movement/AoE going on for Death Ray to be feasible, then you can still use E-Bolts at high SDI to deliver some good damage, considering the opponent's Energy Resist is going to be neutered. Everyone else deals more damage to the enemy as well, due to it's lowered resists.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Death Ray Tamer/Mage © can deal absurd amounts of damage in the right circumstances. You just have to keep the limitations of Death Ray (no moving, any hit interrupts it) in mind. Death Ray itself deals Energy damage, while also reducing the victim's Energy Resist by 10 (stacks with other resist debuffs). The best pet for it is a Disco+Conductive Blast Triton. The Triton can heal itself, will inflict a -14 (bosses) to -28 resists debuff at 120 Disco, and once he lands the Disco, he'll spam Conductive Blast, which halves the victim's Energy Resist. If another Tamer has a Beetle with Rune Corruption, that'll also stack to even further lower resists (including Energy). Death Ray works with Slayer spellbooks, so a Lesser Slayer spell book will triple the damage. It's like a mini WoD going off every 3 secs at any Health %. SDI has no effect on Death Ray.

Even if there's too much movement/AoE going on for Death Ray to be feasible, then you can still use E-Bolts at high SDI to deliver some good damage, considering the opponent's Energy Resist is going to be neutered. Everyone else deals more damage to the enemy as well, due to it's lowered resists.
I hunt in a small group and we always have someone with disco. So I could do conductive blast/AI or maybe CB/chiv/AI? I'll have to open a new triton and figure out what I can do.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

What do you find that is weak to energy damage that your fight with this tamer/pet combo? Seems like most things are either weak to fire or cold... energy isn't low on most bosses in game.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hunt in a small group and we always have someone with disco. So I could do conductive blast/AI or maybe CB/chiv/AI? I'll have to open a new triton and figure out what I can do.
With just Disco+CB, the Triton will keep CB up almost constantly once he lands the Disco. Having a pet with Disco is useful for Travesty, since you don't want to bring a Disco player to her (she copies player skills), just run Chain Lightning instead of Death Ray then (her Mirror Images can deflect a Death Ray tick). Chiv+AI+CB results in a Triton that deals more damage itself, but it doesn't use Conductive Blast as often, so the Tamer's damage output will be less, since Death Ray won't always be ticking during a CB then. Against opponents with a Slayer vulnerability (particularly Lesser Slayer), the Tamer can out damage the Triton with Death Ray, so buffing the Tamer's damage is more important than buffing the Triton's damage.

What do you find that is weak to energy damage that your fight with this tamer/pet combo? Seems like most things are either weak to fire or cold... energy isn't low on most bosses in game.
The combination of Disco (-14 Resists on Bosses), Conductive Blast (Halves Energy Resist for 4-5 secs) and Death Ray (flat -10 Energy Resist, stacking with all other debuffs, even allowing for negative Energy Resist) makes any enemy in the game extremely weak to Energy damage. All these Energy Resist debuffs, will also increase the Triton's melee damage output as well, since he deals 50% Energy Damage.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
With just Disco+CB, the Triton will keep CB up almost constantly once he lands the Disco. Having a pet with Disco is useful for Travesty, since you don't want to bring a Disco player to her (she copies player skills), just run Chain Lightning instead of Death Ray then (her Mirror Images can deflect a Death Ray tick). Chiv+AI+CB results in a Triton that deals more damage itself, but it doesn't use Conductive Blast as often, so the Tamer's damage output will be less, since Death Ray won't always be ticking during a CB then. Against opponents with a Slayer vulnerability (particularly Lesser Slayer), the Tamer can out damage the Triton with Death Ray, so buffing the Tamer's damage is more important than buffing the Triton's damage.

The combination of Disco (-14 Resists on Bosses), Conductive Blast (Halves Energy Resist for 4-5 secs) and Death Ray (flat -10 Energy Resist, stacking with all other debuffs, even allowing for negative Energy Resist) makes any enemy in the game extremely weak to Energy damage. All these Energy Resist debuffs, will also increase the Triton's melee damage output as well, since he deals 50% Energy Damage.
Ok you’ve convinced me it is worth a try. I’ll keep an eye on a Magery Primer III and test it out.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok you’ve convinced me it is worth a try. I’ll keep an eye on a Magery Primer III and test it out.
There's two versions of this template. Basically the 6x120 Tamer/Mage with 120 Taming/120 Lore/120 Vet/120 Magery/120 Eval/120 Med, or a modified version with 120 Taming/120 Lore/120 Vet/120 Magery/120 Eval/80 SS/40 Necro. The modified version sits in Wraith Form, and leeches back Mana to keep Death Ray up indefinitely (or until the opponent runs out of Mana).
Slayer Spellbooks are key to getting the most damage output out of this build, Super Slayers double Death Ray damage, while Lesser Slayers triple it. You can make Travesty vulnerable to Slayers (even Lesser Slayers) by having all members of your party wear the same Costume. Such as everyone being in a Fire Ele Costume, then using a Fire Ele Slayer Spellbook while using Chain Lightning.

The Death Ray Tamer/Mage © also synergizes extremely well with some other character builds. For example, another Tamer with a 100% Energy Platinum/Crimson Drake with Chiv+AI will deal excellent damage from all the Energy Resist debuffs you provide (to the point where the Energy Drake's normal auto attacks almost do as much damage as his AIs do).
A Sampire utilizing a 100% Energy Double Axe will also greatly benefit from you debuffing the Energy Resist, and it gets really crazy when the Sampire is using Onslaught to further debuff the opponent's Energy Resist by up to -20 (easy to get an opponent into negative Energy Resist with this combo). My guildy has claimed to see 800+ damage Death Ray ticks during this combo.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@PlayerSkillFTW I never tried the Magery mastery before. I stuck 120 Magery and Eval on a spare toon and ate the primer. Did some Shrine battles. Was doing between 460 and 520 damage per tick. Very cool. 3 battles got a Tabard.

I did not try it before because I thought you had to stand right next to the target. It has a decent distance. The Mysticism one seems to have a shorter distance.

Thanks

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@PlayerSkillFTW I never tried the Magery mastery before. I stuck 120 Magery and Eval on a spare toon and ate the primer. Did some Shrine battles. Was doing between 460 and 520 damage per tick. Very cool. 3 battles got a Tabard.

I did not try it before because I thought you had to stand right next to the target. It has a decent distance. The Mysticism one seems to have a shorter distance.

Thanks
That was without Disco+CB too, right? It gets really crazy with Disco+CB+Onslaught.

Basically, Vegeta hits Cell with Disco+CB, then Gohan equips his Lesser Slayer Spellbook and channels Death Ray, then proceeds to melt Cell's face off.

Last edited: