• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Combos, Question from returning player

Disco Stu

Visitor
Hey all, returned after several years of private servers and some wow...my question is whether or not pet combos are viable with the new intriguing advanced training system. Are there any that are good for either PVP or PVM or does every pet just go to 5slots now? Thanks. =D

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hey all, returned after several years of private servers and some wow...my question is whether or not pet combos are viable with the new intriguing advanced training system. Are there any that are good for either PVP or PVM or does every pet just go to 5slots now? Thanks. =D
I think that as with most things in UO it all depends on your play style (and what your build is). My personal play style has unfortunately devolved and I'm no longer any good at PvP so for me the answer is no taming and PvP don't mix :) . However I believe that there are still some pretty decent PvP tamers around.
From what I've read on here and seen around ATL, it looks like there are mostly pre-patch type pets used. Dread mares have been used, bane dragons, and I think I've even read a combo of bake's can be used. Since I don't PvP, I can't really tell you how effective they are but depending on how you play (what your template is) they could work. One possible idea I'd have (not sure how effective it would be) is to make a gargoyle and use a dismount pet... once you dismount your target you could run interference on them and be able to outrun them and block/disrupt them while your pet does their thing.

Hope that helps. Welcome back!

North_LS

Journeyman
welcome back, aren't you a LS expat?

Most higher end tames, and some lower end ones all go to 5 slots now. They all have different specializations though, depending on starting stats, starting slots, element damage spread, available specials, etc.

most importantly, if you have any legacy pets in your stable, DO NOT train them until you are completely familiar with the system. Many are extremely valuable, and can be made very powerful with the training system, BUT are also easy to ruin if you don't know what you're doing.

Disco Stu

Visitor
Thanks for your input. (and, no, i've no toons on LS). Old beetle/bake combos still being viable means ready made fun, I suppose, being there's no room for training either. Has anyone tried advancing a fire steed to 3slots and running it with a regular 2 slot for pack instinct? Sorry to read that bush no longer gives control over lesser hiyrus. How does that work when you're dismounted: "all follow me" "screw you jack"? Even a horse will kill itself for you if you tell it. But getting back to the original question, and to be more specific: pre-patched mares and wyrms do better as single pets advanced to 5slots than as a traditional 2/3 combo? Thanks again.

North_LS

Journeyman
yep, a single 5-slot is better in nearly every instance that i've tried personally. a few folks have been experimenting with running packs of 4-5 hellcats or spiders with pack instinct and the 'as one' mastery recently though with good results on the damage side, iirc with anything that hits hard keeping them alive becomes an issue though. Also, as one sucks up mana pretty quickly. I believe one of the people trying this was intending to build a 'pack leader' up to two slots and use that to tank while the other three just added damage, don't recall seeing how it worked out though.