• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Peacemaking.. worth it?

L

Lafal

Can someone please tell me the uses of peacemaking in like any important situation? I cant understand when i would use it because there are cooldown whenever i use provok or something so.. yeah? Should i get Evaluating Inteligence instead?

Gusten

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Peacemaking has a few uses. It can work like a panic-button, when there are a lot of close-range enemies hitting you. Area peace doesn't always work 100% (i.e. calm every single foe around you), but usually enough for you to get off a few more heals, or invis and move away.

It can also help you move past big nasty monsters by just calming them and then slip by. Running like crazy while having pre-cast invis works too though.

It can be handy if you want to break a spawn, and want to peace one monster, provoke two others and deal with the forth one yourself. What you should keep in mind is that the timer is reduced by 50% (so 6 seconds instead of 12) after a succesful peace, so be sure to start with peace and then whichever bard skill you had in mind.

This being said, I run with 120 in all bard skills, coupled with magery and spellweaving. Having good fun, but I feel that I use disco and provo all the time, and peacemaking not so often. I think I'd do just as well, in most situations, with eval int so I could paralyze instead of peace. I'm really lacking direct damage spells with my current template, so I'm either skipping spellweaving or peacemaking for eval int.

Gusten

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't quite remember at what levels I switched, but I went Gamans from maybe 50-70, Giant Beetles from 70-90, Lesser Hiryus from 90-100 and then Cu Sidhes from 100-120. In the Poo's Disco Primer-post, there's a ton of useful information. Wasn't really as bad as I expected, provocation is going slower for me. That's probably 'cause I haven't been able to make a nice training-macro for it in the enhanced client, so I have to be more active while training. Training Disco worked very well with watching television!

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i stopped using Peace a long time ago.
i can accomplish the same thing with just casting invis on myself.

i have 120 peace on all my bards.
but for most of them ive stoned it off and add on med or EI instead.

i just found that iw as never using it.

for a couple reason.
like mentioned above the cool down timer, and like allready mentioned, peace is used more as a panic button.
i just use invis spell to get the same effect.

M

milk

currently I got peace/disco.

I think peace is nice for taming colored animals as what my focus is. It is not like you can't tame stuff without peace it is just a little simpler and faster. However, I agree with poo. Now I really wanted more offensive skills than peace, especially when I am done with most of my tames (peacetaming greater dragon is just waste of time so other than collecting colored high end pets i don't see why you want to peace tame anything). I am going to add provoke to my skill soon, but that means a complete gear overhaul and skill redistribution. I am afraid if that happens I will have to raise my taming from 93 to 100 which just sounds dreadful.

F

Fingers of Cats

I have been thinking about this on my current template and how often I use it...

Taming
Lore
Vet

Music
Peace
Disco

Magery

And I find that I too only use peace when I am in trouble when I could use Invis :/

Thought of SS Peace and possibly Vet to get Eval and Med for more versatility.

Just not sure, too many toons to work up right now so I'll worry with it later :p

L

Luke Carjacker

I've never really found a use for peace. Invis & or para work for me in all situations. There are some things you need to get used to, for example you'll come to recognize things that reveal big time (GD, Ophidian Justicars & dread spiders come to mind) so you might have to cue up invis 2, 3, 4 times in a row. But for the points required for peace, the uses are just too limited for my tastes (as opposed to magery, which I already have and can use for lots of other things).

My bard is what most would call bard/mage, with music, provo, disco, magery, eval & med all at 120. Great for almost any situation (except for the fact that bards aren't properly credited for damage for looting rights but that's another issue). When the spawn levels in champ spawn areas and people are running for safe zones, I just invis, wait for the lag to pass and start provoking. If you get in rhythm and have a feel for your cool-down timers, you can clear out any of these areas high-spawn high-danger areas on your own while others are timidly picking off creatures at the edges. Definitely helps to have FC/FCR gear on to get your invis spells off super fast, and LMC & Mana Regen can help you keep the process up without running out of mana. With heavy spawn, I go right for the provokes. Then in champ & peerless situations, I can use discord, and do plenty of damage and cast a constant stream of spells with Eval & Med (and good armor suit).

On my tamer I just go with music and discord. Back in the day, before pet bonding when tamers actually had to go out and tame a pet or two each week, I could see the use for peace to make things easier. But these days, the animal taming profession has little to do with actually taming animals (except during training), so peace has little use in this template. My disco tamer template is Taming, Lore, Vet, Music, Disco, Magery. If found that with the right armor suit (max LMC & Mana Regen), Med is not necessary to keep healing non-stop so I decided to push up all the skills I'm keeping to 120. If you prefer, magery at 95 works (100% invis) and you can hold a tome of lost knowledge or something to get up to 110, and throw additional skills onto jewels and clothing to include med (while dropping taming, lore & vet some) in the template. I found this isn't necessary.

Disco tamer is also a great template for spawns as you can get into a pattern of Discord then "all kill". Works great on high level spawn MOBs as well, dragons, rotting corpses, etc. go down in just about the right amount of time for disco cool-down so you're ready to disco the next beast as soon as one goes down. Against certain champs like Neira & Baracoon, after a Disco a GD can easily handle the boss by items (with healing of course).

So, those are the two templates I play that include bard skills and peace is not a consideration in either one. Just too many points for a panic button skill, which magery can substitute for in 99% of situations (especially if you have fast casting and/or use protection spell), and provoke or discord are more useful in actually helping kill stuff rather than just delaying the killing.

I

imperterritus

My experience is that for a warrior, either ranged or melee, peacemaking is a very effective power. The classic area peace mode is useful for allowing you to travel just about anywhere safely (but yes, you do need to keep moving in some areas). Also if a friend needs to mount his pet in a combat area dense with foes, you can let him.

I'm sure paralyze is a great spell, but if you're guy isn't a mage, then targeted peacemaking works great. You can either freeze one foe while you take care of another, or if the area is not crowded, freeze the foe you are actually fighting. I have have several characters with peacemaking. the latest is a Gorgoyle thrower. Peacemaking is ideal for allowing you to optimize the "not too far", "not too close" aspect of throwing.

The only thing I don't understand is why Peacemaking cannot be used in PvP. Seems silly that you spend 200-240 skill points that you can't use, while a mage can paralyze reliably with less than 100 skill points.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if your running a peace warrior (that sounds ironic) you may wanna try a disco warrior.

i have one on sonoma and one on ATL and i L O V E it!!!

specially with how it seems that all the new bosses and such are getting more and more geared towards thwarting tamers.

its kinda fun.
specially in a bigger group.
ya drop a disco on the mob then dance around behind the guild mates shooting over their heads (hopefully!)

I

imperterritus

I'm actually considering dropping Resist and picking up Discord instead. On the fundamentals, though, I'm confused. What is the advantage of having a debuffed (discorded) foe as opposed to a paralyzed (peaced) foe?

A general advantage of having a second bard power would be to allow fire horns to do more damage, with more accuracy.

U

uoBuoY

I'm actually considering dropping Resist and picking up Discord instead. On the fundamentals, though, I'm confused. What is the advantage of having a debuffed (discorded) foe as opposed to a paralyzed (peaced) foe?

A general advantage of having a second bard power would be to allow fire horns to do more damage, with more accuracy.
Hitting a Peaced foe breaks the Peace. Peace is only useful to keep mobs off your back.
120 Disco reduces the target's skills & resists by up to 28% as long as the Discoer stays nearby. This is a BIG difference. Your opponent hits less often for less damage and resists less of your damage. Try it out on Test.

I

imperterritus

Hitting a Peaced foe breaks the Peace. Peace is only useful to keep mobs off your back.
Actually, hitting a peaced foe only has a chance of breaking peace. As often as not, they'll stand there stupid, just groovin to the music as you pummel them. I do see foes free themselves after one blow, but I wouldn't call it a common event, especially on my GM+ macer/peacer.

L

Luke Carjacker

After a discord, high end MOBs drop twice as fast. The 28% reduction in skills & resists doesn't really even do justice to how much easier it is to kill a discorded creature. For example, I've noticed that after a discord Rikktor uses his EQ area attack way less. Neira & Mephitis tend to stop moving.

But again, give it a whirl on test-center if you're not a believer. Stuff that you had you had to stand in front of for 30 seconds to kill will drop in 10-15 seconds. Their ability to damage you will be so greatly reduced you'll wonder if it's even the same type of monster.

Just never found peace to fit my play style.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

For me, I not only find it one of the most useless skills in that theres no situation I'd ever need or want it, but also find that these days other people seem to use it for the sole purpose of annoying others, making things retarget, stopping multiple Provokes, stopping people pets from fighting. I dropped it long ago (publish 16) and I'm glad I did.

K

killer instinct

I find peace quite useful.Peace and 2 ev's take alot of mobs down.Once my unravel bag is full and 13000 gp I go to bank and drop gold off.Then I drop of unravel bag at house.3 trips of this gives me 36k of gold and possibly 80 enchanted essence with the lucky relic frag.Takes 30 minutes.Not a bad way to go.I also have provo but provo is only good when other mobs are around.I made my bard for doom.Then the dexxors took over and made it so provoing things does'nt work.Hiding behind rocks to kill df ruined a bard in doom.