• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pay to Post Rumour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been hearing from multiple people that the new forums may have some type of pay to post feature implemented?
Based upon all previous forum experience I highly doubt this is true but figured I would try to get an answer right from the source.
I apologize if this has already been referenced or discussed here but I have not seen anything.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
From what I read it's going to use "trinkets" (which can be earned from posting or paid for 50 for $1)

Hosting pictures on stratics would require trinkets to do so for example, but if they are hosted else ware it's "free".

Bit more info in this thread: https://stratics.com/community/index.php?threads/New-Stratics-Q&A.334903/

I don't think making a thread, replying etc will cost.
That's correct, you actually earn trinkets by posting and replying, unless you are uploading attachments.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, who woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Replies like that makes me hope the new forums have an ignore function so I can ignore similar posts.

-Val'lyn
haha Val'lyn, sorry no disrespect - I meant in a general way - they should pay me UO gold to read (anyones) posts.
sorry I didn't mean you specifically.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
haha Val'lyn, sorry no disrespect - I meant in a general way - they should pay me UO gold to read (anyones) posts.
Where would we get the UO Gold? We aren't Broadsword we can't create it out of thin air.

Val'lyn De'ana

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
No worries, I read too deeply into your post. Apparently I woke up with a thin skin this morning.

-Val'lyn

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
does that have anything to do with why im seeing 'Gold for sale' adds now on Stratics?

speaking of which - there was a time when we would give people 'holidays' from being able to post on Stratics if they linked to a web site that had adds for 'Gold for sale'.

Shady Ghost

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Basically, the only time it costs trinkets, is when you try to upload an image on the forums? But if you upload an image to a different host, and link to it in the forums, then you're going to be ok and no trinkets are charged? Will we be able to put them in [ IMG tags like now?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Basically, the only time it costs trinkets, is when you try to upload an image on the forums? But if you upload an image to a different host, and link to it in the forums, then you're going to be ok and no trinkets are charged? Will we be able to put them in [ IMG tags like now?
Yes that's exactly what it means.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
does that have anything to do with why im seeing 'Gold for sale' adds now on Stratics?

speaking of which - there was a time when we would give people 'holidays' from being able to post on Stratics if they linked to a web site that had adds for 'Gold for sale'.
I'm gonna shoot you a PM on this.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I'm gonna shoot you a PM on this.
Why can't you make it public what you are sending her? Cause I am too seeing it and I do believe this is why EM's are distancing themselves from this site. We need clarification asap on why I am seeing gold for sale adds!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Why can't you make it public what you are sending her? Cause I am too seeing it and I do believe this is why EM's are distancing themselves from this site. We need clarification asap on why I am seeing gold for sale adds!
Because if ask for Links to those posts, and they reply in the thread, then they will have broken the RoC as well.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I'm sorry, but what you said doesn't really make sense. Can you reiterate what you are trying to say? Nowhere did Poo ask for a link...

If you are answering her question about why she is seeing advertisements containing Gold for sale I too would like to know the answer, and seeing as how she asked the question in a public thread I do not see the reasoning behind not answering it in this thread.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
All I'm seeing is that I can save $825 when I combine home and auto insurance with state farm :) lol

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm sorry, but what you said doesn't really make sense. Can you reiterate what you are trying to say? Nowhere did Poo ask for a link...

If you are answering her question about why she is seeing advertisements containing Gold for sale I too would like to know the answer, and seeing as how she asked the question in a public thread I do not see the reasoning behind not answering it in this thread.
I asked for links that why I PM'ed We get several hundred posts a day and don't get time to view each one.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
See those are the ads I thought she was talking about...aren't they supposed to be customized to what the user clicks on? Maybe not I don't know but I've never seen that one.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
See those are the ads I thought she was talking about...aren't they supposed to be customized to what the user clicks on? Maybe not I don't know but I've never seen that one.
I've seen that exact ad pretty much every day, and I haven't visited any site related to that star wars game in about 2 years so....I highly doubt it's based on what the user clicks on.

Shady Ghost

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
All I'm seeing is that I can save $825 when I combine home and auto insurance with state farm :) lol
Lucky you, I'm getting the "DATE ARAB WOMEN NOW!!" add.

I'm surprised you aren't getting a combo banner.. followed by these guys..

Last edited:

Val'lyn De'ana

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It will need to be the person in charge of the Stratics Adsense account. Those ads can be blocked by url, or the administrator can block game related ads. Personally, I would think they should ban the url for the ads that sell gold since most people here would be interested in the other game related ad groups, aka...they might click the link and thus give Stratics a little revenue from Google.

-Val'lyn

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I um.... don't see any ads.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are other threads, one I read today, that clearly talks about gold being converted to cash. A person posted in that thread asking how this is possible and are they allowed to do so also but that posting was removed for some reason. I didn't want to troll that page because it had a bit of a sad story behind it, part of it life and part of it was really odd choices, but it did make me wonder why 99% of the posters have to follow that rule when the 1% don't.

I once got a 48 hour for trying to sell a item and made a refrence to cash when I ment gold, no one asked me to explain what I was posting.

This all said I'll throw the site cash for trinkets if it allows me to futher my rampaging.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I noticed the no longer getting temporary bans. So are there any additional penalties for having negative trinkets?

If the only thing it affects is uploading images, than what stops someone from being an absolute butthead and just accumulating further negative trinkets?
Are there other items aside from the uploading images or the community groups that it affects?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So I noticed the no longer getting temporary bans. So are there any additional penalties for having negative trinkets?

If the only thing it affects is uploading images, than what stops someone from being an absolute butthead and just accumulating further negative trinkets?
Are there other items aside from the uploading images or the community groups that it affects?
At the moment, no, though they will also serve as a visual clue for our Staff when dealing with posters. When the new site launches it will only have what we consider core features available, we're looking at many more features some of which will cost trinkets to access, and as those go in, the negative balance will keep them from being able to enjoy Stratics to it's fullest potential.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is all just part of

THE NEW STRATICS EXPERIENCE

You guys excited? I SURE AM. It'll be so cool if I get to pay for..let's say avatars and signatures! If I get to do this while enjoying potentially malign gold seller ads.. EVEN BETTER!

In hindsight, it is incredibly surprising it has taken this long for lack of official forums to REALLY bite UO in the arse.

I'll start charging from my posts btw.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is all just part of

You guys excited? I SURE AM. It'll be so cool if I get to pay for..let's say avatars and signatures! If I get to do this while enjoying potentially malign gold seller ads.. EVEN BETTER!

In hindsight, it is incredibly surprising it has taken this long for lack of official forums to REALLY bite UO in the arse.

Aint that the truth

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This is all just part of

Avatars and Signatures don't cost.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The sad thing is, Stratics could have been huge if it had been managed properly. It was the very first MMO database website, a category that went on to be extremely profitable. But look at a slick professional site like WoWhead and compare it to the amateurish joke that was WoW Stratics, for example, and you'll see why their "network" turned out to be nothing but a glorified UO fan forum.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
i stand up to pee thank you very much!
Thank you for the wonderful mental image :/ LOL sorry sir I stand corrected ;) Why I equate your username with a female is beyond me :/

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see what the issue is... there is nothing changed.. just gained. You can still post.. and respond. You can still post pics.. free.

You get added boards you can create... and mod. and.not have to setup your self on another website..... for free.. or a donation to boards most of us on hear use for.free anyways.

To me the big "negative.nancys" seem to be the.same ones on every "new" feature thread.. whether it be a uo bug fix to a new.free.board feature. Do you also go outside and shake ur fist at the sky and yell when something changes in your real life too? lol

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The sad thing is, Stratics could have been huge if it had been managed properly. It was the very first MMO database website, a category that went on to be extremely profitable. But look at a slick professional site like WoWhead and compare it to the amateurish joke that was WoW Stratics, for example, and you'll see why their "network" turned out to be nothing but a glorified UO fan forum.
They got to piggy back off the success of allakhazam who was and is big for Everquest, take a look at everquest.allakhazam.com and compare the two, that's the same management at work.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah hindsight's a pancake. I do agree though, they had a great opportunity to become what MMO champion or some such is today. But I guess that ship sailed over 10 years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.