• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Path Message Screen Updated

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for that; still seeing the message about The Six was discouraging.

-Galen's player

ps: *sighs* Mis-spelled "patch" as "path." Oh well.

C

Coppelia

When will they fix the patch message page so it actually works and doesn't display a blank page?

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
I can't patch... :(

Anyone else have problems patching? (2D)

Starting patch session...
Transferring patch information
Downloading patch uoml_win32_6-0-10-0.rtp( 15670938 bytes )
Downloading patch uoml_win32_6-0-10-0.pat( 11 bytes )
Downloading patch uoml_win32_6-0-10-0.rtp( 15670938 bytes, resuming )
Downloading patch uoml_win32_6-0-10-0.pat( 11 bytes, resuming )
Applying patch patch\uoml_win32_6-0-10-0.rtp
Error applying patch
Error during session
Your client may not be the most recent version.
You may be able to play the game with your current client.
Check http://www.uo.com/ for help on resolving patching issues.
Click OK to play the game or Cancel to abort.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When will they fix the patch message page so it actually works and doesn't display a blank page?
Totally a problem on your end, most likely related to some changes you made (intentionally or not) to Internet Explorer.

C

Coppelia

No. It come from them. Other games are using that stupid IE with their patcher and there's no problem.
And by the way, my browser is FF, not IE. They shouldn't use it.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't patch... :(

Anyone else have problems patching? (2D)
Piotr, that's happened to me twice over the past few years, and both times i ended up having to uninstall and do a complete re-install of UO on my computer. a pain in the butt, due to all the patching you have to go through when you re-install.

a suggestion is to save your UO "desktop" files in a different directory before uninstalling, then copying them back to your UO directory after re-install so you don't lose each char's desktop and macros.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No. It come from them. Other games are using that stupid IE with their patcher and there's no problem.
And by the way, my browser is FF, not IE. They shouldn't use it.
I'm fairly sure they DON'T use it. I tried messing with the web page it loaded up once, and found it was very limited in terms of what it'd process.

Anyway, there's a file in your install directory called "vercfg.cfg". Open it up in a text editor and take a look at the first few lines:

2D Client said:
patch\
compassion.owo.com 8888
40% 80%
patch.uo.com/cgi-bin/patchmsg.pl
KR Client said:
patch\
compassion.owo.com 8900
40% 80%
www.uo.com/uokrpatchlaunch41807/patcher.html
Really they both end up redirecting to the same page in the end. You'll probably see a bunch of other gunk in that config file as well, but just make sure the top segments I quoted are matching up.

Another tip, when UO patches it downloads into the "patch" folder, then deletes each file after it's applied. In theory, you could grab a copy of these files while the application process was underway, stash them somewhere safe. If you needed to re-install in future, prior to starting the patcher you'd dump all the downloads straight into the patch folder. Should zip through the process quite quickly then.

Incedently, the patch message screen is, to my mind, the definitive proof that EA doesn't give a stuff about UO. I'm sure all new players think likewise. It's badly written (See if you can find where the words "Don't have an account?" are), sorely lacking in important info (such as the existence of Five on Friday, client/server updates, rule changes, bugs that are important to know about, the list goes on), and just generally a heck of a lot worse then it used to be not even two years ago. It should be getting updates once a week, at the very least, moreso whenever an event is underway.