• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Parry Vs DCI for SDI SW/Mage Build PVM

TwoLiLWindeX

Visitor
So I am building my SDI SW/Mage and am trying a different build then what I feel most would use.
Skill Setup is as follows:

Anatomy - 105 (100 when I get 120 Evaluate Intelligence Power Scroll)
Evaluate Intelligence - 115 (110 with Wizard's Curio)
Magery - 110 (120 Eventually with Power Scroll)
Meditation - 120
Resist Spells - 105 (Archmage Cuffs give me my other 15 for 120)
Spell Weaving - 120 (Eventually training fully)
Parry - Remaining Points

The thing I am trying to figure out with some custom jewels I am having imbued is whether to go with +25 Parry Skill or +25 DCI?

This build is mainly being built for a Blackthorn Dungeon Duo. I am experimenting with it as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO Stratics - Combat 75 parry with 10 dex = 5% 50 parry at 10 dex = 3%

DCI - Increases your chance to dodge blows.
If before DCI is applied you have 50% chance to dodge, with 20% DCI you will have 60% chance to dodge.
DCI may be a better choice esp with 10 dex.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If this is for PVM, you don't need parry or anatomy.

TwoLiLWindeX

Visitor
If this is for PVM, you don't need parry or anatomy.
This is for a Blackthorn Dungeon duo run I am trying to do. The other guy is a Necro/Mage. He wants me to run 120 wrestling with 120 eval and I am countering his wrestling with a 220 skill point total between anatomy and eval which gives a 120 melee defensive bonus (apparently supposed to act like 120 wrestling or something similar). and i want to use the extra points in another skill that will further help me be "touched" less by other creatures.

Last edited:

TwoLiLWindeX

Visitor
UO Stratics - Combat 75 parry with 10 dex = 5% 50 parry at 10 dex = 3%

DCI - Increases your chance to dodge blows.
If before DCI is applied you have 50% chance to dodge, with 20% DCI you will have 60% chance to dodge.
DCI may be a better choice esp with 10 dex.
So, then just wondering, with mage builds, what is the defensive purpose of wrestling? If there is no purpose, why not just run parry completely? Especially considering most people running an SDI build use either Hook's Shield or Hephaestus anyways.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Apparently if you have a 220 skill point mix with Anatomy & Eval Int, it acts like a 120 defensive skill. And as stated in thread title, its a Spell Weaver Mage SDI build.
The formula for this is (Eval + Anat + 20) / 2 = melee defense. Without it, all melee attacks are likely to hit. It is definitely worth having in this build. I prefer wrestling because you get stun punch and disarm with it but I can understand wanting to save the 20 points and the price of that wrestling scroll.

As for the original question between +25 Parry or +25 DCI, I would take the DCI. Depending on what your parry will be when you are done, I might even drop it in favor of healing since you have anatomy already, but again... It depends how much skill you will have to spare when you are done with the build. If it's just a little bit, sure, parry might save you from getting hit once or twice, but if it's quite a bit, being able to rez or x-heal your partner may be more valuable.

TwoLiLWindeX

Visitor
The formula for this is (Eval + Anat + 20) / 2 = melee defense. Without it, all melee attacks are likely to hit. It is definitely worth having in this build. I prefer wrestling because you get stun punch and disarm with it but I can understand wanting to save the 20 points and the price of that wrestling scroll.

As for the original question between +25 Parry or +25 DCI, I would take the DCI. Depending on what your parry will be when you are done, I might even drop it in favor of healing since you have anatomy already, but again... It depends how much skill you will have to spare when you are done with the build. If it's just a little bit, sure, parry might save you from getting hit once or twice, but if it's quite a bit, being able to rez or x-heal your partner may be more valuable.
I just learned that there is a passive bonus with wrestling for mages that somewhere between 100 and 120 it gives a no spell interruption. Which for running blackthorn dungeon is kinda helpful. Kinda rethinking my build a little.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you are only running 10 dex I don't see the point in running parry.

TwoLiLWindeX

Visitor
If you are only running 10 dex I don't see the point in running parry.
It's because I am running a shield with my SDI build and I figure why not take advantage of a skill that uses the shield. its only being added as a secondary to compliment Anatomy because of the whole (Anatomy + Eval Int + 20)/2= Defensive Stat. and doing that frees up 20 extra skill points on top of what my gear already frees up which is another 35 skill points from Eval Int & Resist. So it adds my parry up to 55 with the extra points I have and the jewels I am having made for me will put my parry above 70.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see how a necro/mage and a spellweaver/mage are going to duo Blackthorns. The time to kill would be insanely high.