• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Parry Mage with Inscription or ???

R

Rentokil

Hi,
I'm new to PVP and I'm thinking of making a Parry Mage, Will this template be ok against Archers and a decent arounder pvp char?

Resist 120
Magery 120
Eval 120
Meditation 120
Parry 120

Inscription/Mystcism/Wrestling/??

Any suggestions on what skills I should take up? I don't even know if Mystcism is any good for PVP, I do like the bombard and Hail storm spells.

The suit I'm using gives me 45 DCI, I got given couple of mage weps with -20/ SC, one with Hit lightning and other with HLA, which one is better?

As always, any input very much appreciated.

girana

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if u got +20 magery on your gear i would go for mage weapon and mysticsm ;)

G

Gellor

I run the following for two of my mages:
120 parry
120 magery
120 eval
100 med
100 anat
80 poison
60 focus

I do group fights so resist isn't critical to me. Deadly poison fields are good nuisance things:party:

I last a LONG time against archers/dexers. Very rarely hit. I run like 70 DCI so hld does nothing:thumbup:

The problem you will run into if you try to run a mage weapon is when you get disarmed and you don't have anat, you will get hit quite a bit. The other issue is potions. You need to disarm your weapon to use potions: ie you are once again with no defense.

I USED to run 120 wrestling on this template but found that once they nuked "queued" special moves, I could never time disarm or paralyze specials to work right.

R

Rentokil

Thanks for all the pointers, much appreciated.

Girana, thanks I have a +20 magery ring to balance. I'll have a go with mysticsm, atleast I could stone it if I can't master the skill.

Gellor, Thanks I'll train poison and give it a go. Can you let me know what your gear is to get 70 DCI, I could only get 45/55 with my current suit.

My fights are not really group fights, what tend to happen is a small group of us will be doing spawn, then 2/3/4 or 5 reds will pop up and the group scatters, I guess our group is PVM so when reds come everyone scatters, What I try to do is put up a fight when theres only 2, but I die very quickly, so I can't say I put up a good fight, even tho I would like to. Could do with some cross heals from group, my thoughts are if I stay and fight hopefully other will stay too. I ain't no PVPer, but would wanna learn.

Sorry for the waffle. Thanks again everyone.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually start with this template when I cross shard until I make enough to buy a dread mare.

100 Magery (+20 from crystaline)
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Parry
100 Anat
80 Ninja
80 Med

It's a group fighting template. You pretty much rely on sync damage to get kills. You could also swap out 80 ninja for 100 scribe and go to 60 med. You'll get more 1 v 1 kills that way.

I love having the 80 ninja because whenever dismounted you can mirror image and pot/mini heal, and then animal form out asap.

Once I have a dread mare I usually switch out to this template (requires 55 skill inc between jewels and talisman)

112 mage
120 eval
120 resist
100 anat
100 parry
108 taming
115 lore

It's a beast and probably one of the more fun templates to play when outnumbered.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually start with this template when I cross shard until I make enough to buy a dread mare.

100 Magery (+20 from crystaline)
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Parry
100 Anat
80 Ninja
80 Med

It's a group fighting template. You pretty much rely on sync damage to get kills. You could also swap out 80 ninja for 100 scribe and go to 60 med. You'll get more 1 v 1 kills that way.

I love having the 80 ninja because whenever dismounted you can mirror image and pot/mini heal, and then animal form out asap.

Once I have a dread mare I usually switch out to this template (requires 55 skill inc between jewels and talisman)

112 mage
120 eval
120 resist
100 anat
100 parry
108 taming
115 lore

It's a beast and probably one of the more fun templates to play when outnumbered.

Interesting , thanks for the temp numbers bud. I personally don't do so well on a dread mage temp anymore... The kuto cu sidhe parry gimps eats that template alive so I sold my dread and now I'm investing some of that gold towards a Ninja / Scribe / Tactics / Bushido / Mage build.

You know any good template set ups for that ? I can't figure out some numbers until I get my gear set up. You know any good basics?

R

Rentokil

Thanks for the input Lynk.

I read Anatomy + 120 Eval = Wrestling (without specials), I'm wondering if this provide extra defence against Archers? or is it just Dexxers or both? And I won't get disarmed is this correct?

Regarding the Dread mare template, What are the tactics and play style? I like the "It's a beast and probably one of the more fun templates to play when outnumbered".

112 mage
120 eval
120 resist
100 anat
100 parry
108 taming
115 lore

KalVasTENKI, Could you tell me more about the The kuto cu sidhe parry template please?

Thanks again for everyone's time.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting , thanks for the temp numbers bud. I personally don't do so well on a dread mage temp anymore... The kuto cu sidhe parry gimps eats that template alive so I sold my dread and now I'm investing some of that gold towards a Ninja / Scribe / Tactics / Bushido / Mage build.

You know any good template set ups for that ? I can't figure out some numbers until I get my gear set up. You know any good basics?
That is a tough build to make... Without resist or med you're already at like 750 skill points, so you'd need an ecru with 2 skills and some HCI, paired with inquis/orny and use the hci talisman/spirit of totem?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regarding the Dread mare template, What are the tactics and play style? I like the "It's a beast and probably one of the more fun templates to play when outnumbered".
Tactic is to separate, isolate, and trap. Use efields, go into buildings, try to trap 1 or 2 people in with you at a time, throw down a couple para fields for your own defensive purposes jump off and say all kill and dump on one of em.

I've had limited success in the open field, people usually run when they see the horse is aggrod.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Are you all running Human with your PvP parry mages? That extra 20 mana as an elf is sounding very enticing. Does JOAT, increased carrying capacity, and the HPR make running human for a PvP parry mage worth it? I'm just worried that with my med low (somewhere between 60-100 depending on items) and while devoting at least 60 skill points to dex that will find my mana pool to be the biggest limiting factor on the template.

I've got my human ready to start eating power scrolls but before I do I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake from the get go.

-OBSIDIAN-

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tactic is to separate, isolate, and trap. Use efields, go into buildings, try to trap 1 or 2 people in with you at a time, throw down a couple para fields for your own defensive purposes jump off and say all kill and dump on one of em.

I've had limited success in the open field, people usually run when they see the horse is aggrod.
I don't see any decent players anymore with that template. I usually thrash any tamer mage and almost all dexxer mages. Parry , Bokuto , Cu Side , Bushido dexxers are my weakness but I've noticed the same thing when I played that template. As soon as I got on foot I was dead , and I've played that template for a year so I had the comfort.. Since imbuing came out that template has been set back.

N

NickyDishes

lynk what are your stats at if u dont mind me asking? before any increase........80 70 105?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lynk what are your stats at if u dont mind me asking? before any increase........80 70 105?
I usually go 55 real dex, 65 with faction crimmy. I use agil pots to chug to 85, stay above 80 post-curse.

I go 115 STR, to 123 after folded. With 25 HPI puts me at 136 HP pre-str pot.

85 Int, +5 from shroud and +10 from pendant. I also have a good bit of mana inc on my suit.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I usually go 55 real dex, 65 with faction crimmy. I use agil pots to chug to 85, stay above 80 post-curse.

I go 115 STR, to 123 after folded. With 25 HPI puts me at 136 HP pre-str pot.

85 Int, +5 from shroud and +10 from pendant. I also have a good bit of mana inc on my suit.
And Lynk, you are running human, correct? Thx!

-OBS-

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And Lynk, you are running human, correct? Thx!

-OBS-
One of my characters is an elf, but typically human yes. When you get dismounted, it's nice to throw on attunement. That alone is more valuable than 20 mana.

H

hukor

I've always wondered if the human joat bushido interferes with your ability to parry with a shield. it seems like every time I put parry on my template I still get hit a lot. yes im over 80 dex and I have plenty of dci

N

NickyDishes

im at 80 real dex cause i thought curses would be a problem.....if i didnt have 120 resist i guess it would be......i wanna fit taming and lore back onto mine i just cant figure out a good mana suit being as tho im prolly gonna have to drop resist

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always wondered if the human joat bushido interferes with your ability to parry with a shield. it seems like every time I put parry on my template I still get hit a lot. yes im over 80 dex and I have plenty of dci
Dev's posted a while back that 20 JoAT bush does not affect parry. I believe it was from an old FoF.

People always remember what they don't parry, never what they do.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of my characters is an elf, but typically human yes. When you get dismounted, it's nice to throw on attunement. That alone is more valuable than 20 mana.
Yeah , Attunement is required on all characters period. If you don't have it , you're really missing a lot of saves.

R

Rentokil

Thanks again for all the help , I have learnt a great deal. I have now trained my char and switching between inscription and wrestling just to have a play..etc.

With Parry I need to be 80 dex at all times correct?

Got some jewels and now have total of 65 DCI, is this ok or is 70 a must?