• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Parry for Mages?

• Thread starter Fortyniner
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
F

Fortyniner

I've never seen Parry listed in a mage template. But with the quite decent spell-channeling shields around now, it seems to me it might be better than wrestling. Does anybody out there use it?

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose if one were to use a mage weapon full-time, the defensive angle would be taken care of and thus the skill could be spent on parry instead of anatomy or wrestling.

120 magery (real) with +20 mage skill items on top of that
120 eval
120 med
120 parry
100 scribe

The remaining 120-140 skill points could be used for resist, or focus, or spirit speak/necro (especially with midnight bracers) or spellweaving.

one-handed SC, -20 mage weapon at all times.

K

K'torr

I believe for Parry to work in PvP, your Dex has to be 80 min. Which really cuts back on your Mana Pool.

Not sure if the 80 Min is needed for PvM.

Also, all thing being equal, 120 Parry vs 120 Weapon skill = blocks 35% of attacks.
120 Wrestle vs 120 weapon skill = blocks 50% of attacks.

At least according to stratics. Not sure if accurate.

F

Fortyniner

I actually tried soulstoning scribe and loading up tactics, to make the mage weapon more meaningful. But that way I miss the slayer spell books and scrappers.

My mage has been a pure mage for 9 years (if you count nox, which he's now traded for weaving), but the newer items do make one start rethinking templates. I've never had a lot of success with Tanks, largely because of the stat problem. but soulstones let me do a lot of experimentation. I was wondering whether others were thinking along the same lines.

Faith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pvp wise
Go for something simple...

Magery
Eval
Resist
Parry
Wrestle
Med

If you can fit some scribe in there, great.

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Parry vs 120 Weapon skill = blocks 35% of attacks.
120 Wrestle vs 120 weapon skill = blocks 50% of attacks.
Yes, but the mage weapon at 120 effective magery (due to the plus skill items) will block that 50% of attacks by itself (DCI of defender and HCI of attacker being equal) , without parry or a shield. The parry blocking would be on top of that.

K

K'torr

True, but I was interpreting the OP as completely replacing Wrestle with Parry for defense, without the benefit of Mage Weapons.
The difficulty would be in getting good -20 Mage weapons, and then HAVING to use Jewls to get back the lost points. Artifact Mage weapons are all Staffs I believe, and are two handed, thus not allowing the use of Shields. And with one handed Mage weapons and a shield, the player would not be able to use potions.

B

Blade_Thugluv

Well my PvP mage has parry and the temp is:

120 Parry
110 Mage
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Fencing
90 tactics (need for sp moves such as bleed and disarm)
60 Med

I have base dex of 70 but with suit it puts me at 80 and if i use a pot then bless i can get over 100 dex.

I also have max DCI on the suit.

~Blade

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still see parry and disarm mages running around but I think one reason there are less is because most opt for magic resistance over parry or the ability to disarm.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my one char runs a pretty simple parry mage template

120parry
120wrestling
120eval
120magery
120med
120resist

110hp 125mana 80dex (in human form..)

If I were to go elf... I could run... 110hp 125mana 100dex (sick! but, I like JoaT much better than elf buffs)

suit I run is... corpse proof, 15%SDI, 43%DCI, 100%LRC, 38%LMC, and 8MR

I run a SCNP shield with no wep in hand... and I love how defensive this char is... dexers don't even bother me.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Short Sighted!

I use a bushy/parry mage. Completely item dependant (need orny/inquis/no penalty 1 handed mage wep).

I have a total mana pool of 106 (, so mana is limited. But I only use him for group faction pvp, so we sync a dump and it works beautifully. The template SUCKS for 1 v 1 against mages, but you can tear up any dexer that doesn't have 4/6 chiv.

Also, having the lesser hiryu is fun too.

B

butthead owns

well reason is u need dex now for parry most pvp mages use to use parry till they made u have to have 80 dex to even use parry simple fact