• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pally looking for some advice (build and hunting spots)

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
You should be able to Imbue straight away after using a Mythic, not quite sure why people keep saying you can't. It won't be 5 max intensity but you can still make usable stuff for regular level stuff.

Gromda

Adventurer
Wow lots of great tips and advice. Thanks everyone so much.

The plan is to work up his Bushido a bit more and get that gear setup better over the next few days. I figure grind on Trogs some more as Bushido seem to move decently there and I can make some quick/easy gold to boost my dwindling stocks. I figure once I get him to about 100 Bushido I'll go give Miasma a shot. :)

Right now he's at:
115.0 Swords
110.0 Tactics
100.3 Chivalry (110 cap)
100.0 Necromancy
100.0 Anatomy
91.1 Bushido (110 cap)
103.6 Parrying (set to go down)

In my crap gear:
Str: 122
Dex 114
Int 34
HP: 111
Mana: 66
Stam: 114

Resists: 70 in all but Fire (with Vamp on) it's at 59
HCI: 41
SSI: 30
DI: 95

Once I get better scrolls I'll raise those caps.

Will get to the crafter when I have a big block of time, probably this weekend. Sigh Real Life getting in the way of my gaming grind time. :)

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
114 stamina swings at the same speed as 90. If you moved 6 from Int you would swing faster.

What weapons do you have? Any slayers, or slayer talisman? Have you looked on vendor search?

Named are good for gold farming and treasure maps but to better test the character I suggest Balrons, Greater Dragons, Succubi, including Parragon versions in Ilshenar.

You should have your attack sequence down pretty well, Honouring before attacking, getting your Chivalry buffs up and using whatever specials. Try and keep Counter Attack up as it can be an extra swing between swings.

Gromda

Adventurer
Vendor Search is pretty dead on Chessy, in terms of having a variety of options I mean. He has Soul Seeker (repond) and some other non-slayer weapons to play with, but I'm in a really good guild/alliance so I'm sure I can get some help with a few specific weapons to get him fighting Demons/Dragons.

I just wish RL wouldn't get in the way of my gaming, had hoped to get my crafter setup and going yesterday but ... sigh. :) Once that's underway I can at least start working towards making something decent for him. I've been poking the Trogs just to get gold and Bushido up when time allowed, so that's a positive at least. The gear he's wearing is just a smattering of stuff I've looted from guild events, so nothing too good at all.

Not sure why I'm having a mental block when it comes to gearing options, just learning the system still I guess.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vendor Search is pretty dead on Chessy, in terms of having a variety of options I mean. He has Soul Seeker (repond) and some other non-slayer weapons to play with, but I'm in a really good guild/alliance so I'm sure I can get some help with a few specific weapons to get him fighting Demons/Dragons.

I just wish RL wouldn't get in the way of my gaming, had hoped to get my crafter setup and going yesterday but ... sigh. :) Once that's underway I can at least start working towards making something decent for him. I've been poking the Trogs just to get gold and Bushido up when time allowed, so that's a positive at least. The gear he's wearing is just a smattering of stuff I've looted from guild events, so nothing too good at all.

Not sure why I'm having a mental block when it comes to gearing options, just learning the system still I guess.
Please do loot everything, recall home with loot bags for unralving for you're imbuer, free mats and skill gains :)
When i leveled my imbuer like 300 years ago, i dual cliented.
disco-tamer in a party with a newbie char on a beetle.
Then i went to swoop killed it on disco tamer (goes really fast with disco)
while my GD was killing swoop i would switch to my other client and loot everyting and put it in my beetle.
When beetle was full, i would go out of the cave and recall home, secure the bag on the ground, rince repeat.
When i eventually got tired of killing swoop, i would log on my imbuer and unravl all the loot.

Gromda

Adventurer
I only have the one account, though I guess I could make a free-to-play account. What I've been doing is filling up my loot bag with rings/bracers/low-weight gorgets and popping back to the house with all of it and filling up chest after chest. I finally got started with my Imbuer last night and gained 1.9 points from 90 just unraveling the items I've been looting -- plus got him a 120 scroll with the turn-in. So at least it's underway! :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only have the one account, though I guess I could make a free-to-play account. What I've been doing is filling up my loot bag with rings/bracers/low-weight gorgets and popping back to the house with all of it and filling up chest after chest. I finally got started with my Imbuer last night and gained 1.9 points from 90 just unraveling the items I've been looting -- plus got him a 120 scroll with the turn-in. So at least it's underway! :)
SOSs are good for this too, just grab chest and take home to unravel.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
I dont know about "everyone" else, but I simply didnt pay attention to the post where he said he had used the mythic for imbuing. lol!

But I'm glad he did, with 90 (well 91.9 as of the latest update, I told you those batch gains are sweet haha) @Gromda you can most certainly start putting asuit together, or at least replacing the weaker pieces on your current suit.

You can probably imbue a 7 stam, 7 lmc, 4 hp or 7 mana piece right now. And leaving those states at 90% intensity means you probably already have the mats you need from your unraveling so far.

What other skills did you use the mythic token on? If you dont yet have a way to craft base pieces for weapons and armor you could really buy them from a npc blacksmith.

You lose 50 imbue weight and the free DI from exceptional w/arms lore, but that's negligible really on a weapon you're only going to ~90% intensities on. Now you will need a crafter buddy to help you with some base pieces for armor, so you get the extra resist from barbed/horned and the arms lore bonus.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Man I'm about to go roll a char on Chesapeake just to give you some moral support, lol. You might need to imbue me a wep, first.

Haha I got about as much time to do that as you seem to, Gromda. I'd be down to give 'er a shot though if you ever need. RL's a real btch, tell her to 'fk off' for me!!

North_LS

Journeyman
glad you're enjoying the sampire so far - it takes some getting used to compared to traditional warrior templates from back in the day for sure. I've come to really enjoy playing mine though. One thing i'd recommend is to keep other warrior skills like healing available on soulstones in case you feel like doing something that the sampire isnt really suited for - for me, this is mainly blackthorns dungeon captains, they have a tainted life force so you cant absorb damage from them *but* the minax artifacts they drop can be turned in for points to get some really great gear.

Gromda

Adventurer
No need to roll on Chessy, while those in the guild/alliance are all really nice/helpful there just isn't a huge population so you'd be bored for sure. :)

Got a bit of gaming in today, four trips through Trogs looting only 3 stone or less items and got the Imuber to 94.5. It's going up slowly but surely just unraveling items which is nice. I also took 90 Smithing and Tailoring on him and 90 Carpentry for my other crafter character. Oh and 90 Bushido for the Sampire was the final 'free' skill from the mythic. I have that up to 97.2 just dong Lightening Strike on the Trogs.

I have my GM fisher on the account too, his skills are nearly done being fixed from the old days. Might take him out and get some SOS's and see if I can't get him that scroll to raise his Fishing.

Any suggestion on a good place to grind gold and gems? I think Dragons can drop them, but then again I know Earth Eles can too -- just really low compared to Trogs when it comes to gold. I'm back to around 2m again which is nice but I'm keeping my eyes out for a 120 Swords so am hoarding it as best as I can.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
In case you didn't know, the Imbuing powerscrolls are obtained via a quest in Royal City - Ter Mur. Just to the West of the bank is a Soulforge and around that are the guys for the quest. I can't remember exactly how it works but I seem to remember you hand in resources like 50 Enchanted Essences etc.

Eating the 120 sooner rather than later will make it easier to gain.

There are a couple of quests that give gems in bags but I can't remember which ones, I think the ones in Stygian Abyss, you find Untranslated Ancient Tomes on certain corpses and hand it in. I think Greater Dragons also drop quite a few as well as 2k gold. Treasure maps have lots (for now). You can just buy large quantities of gems, there's a jeweller right next to that Soulforge I mentioned above that I always use.

For gold I would probably do Swoop in Twisted Weald, you can use a Bird Slayer talisman if you can find one. Or the Balrons/Greater Dragons in Blackthorns dungeon as that can also give Minax artifacts which you can turn in for nice items.

Gromda

Adventurer
I did figure out that if I just did the highest level quest I'd get the 120. I took all three quests and after finishing the lowest end one realized if I just skipped the mid-level quest and turned in the relics I'd get the 120. So only wasted 50 of the lower end components. :) I was grinding low-level items to build up a stash yesterday before Chessy decided to die! Argh, figures as I was in a groove while watching baseball. Darn gaming gods conspiring to stop me from playing!

Thanks for the advice, will check all the talismans I have to see if one is a bird slayer. I've saved all of them, from various runs (Lady M, white nets, etc.)

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Man I buy gems from the guy by the public forge in the royal city, but ill admit swoops or even the trogs would be a big help here. That greedy sumbish is the only UO npc I have *ever* given a quarter mil gold to in my long career of UO playing, lol. Thankfully a lot of the gems you'll use are the cheaper ones (except for the damn diamonds when imbuing stam leech, I cringe at buying 500 diamonds).

On that note you should definitely train imbuing with luck and lrc, as I think they both use amber... and always imbue your cheapest property last, especially at lower skill! 10 diamonds is much more expensive than 5 essence, and spamming that property on there with a % success chance in the low teens can be painful.
If only it was cheaper to buy in bulk...

Also do naveries and get that loyalty with the queen built up, the trip to the queens forge to get that last property imbued is very much worth the inconvenience!! Lmao

-edit:- oh just thought of a good place to buy gems if you want to get a good stash and not farm for em, the gypsies in ilsh sell gems a lot cheaper than the garg guy I was talking about. Price is lower to start with and never goes up because buys em there. Good place to stock up on arrows, too!

Last edited:

North_LS

Journeyman
-edit:- oh just thought of a good place to buy gems if you want to get a good stash and not farm for em, the gypsies in ilsh sell gems a lot cheaper than the garg guy I was talking about. Price is lower to start with and never goes up because buys em there. Good place to stock up on arrows, too!
Check fel towns too, often the prices arent driven up nearly as high there.

Gromda

Adventurer
Again, thanks for the advice. I got lucky the other night and a guildmate unloaded a chest with a ton of quest turn-ins for the quests that raise your Gargoyle faction. So I'll be doing that later and see if that gets me high enough rep to use her forge.

I've had a few nights of playtime which was nice, though, I spent it working up the crafter (GM Tinker, closing in on 100 Smithing and Imubuing) and my converted Mage/Necro who is now a Mage/Tamer (107.4 taming so far). I gave in and realized I needed a tamer as every 'event' I've been to it's all about the Tamers fighting the 'bosses'. Ah well I guess I'm one of them now, or eventually will be!

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Always a good idea to have one, they are so popular for a reason. Very powerful and since the revamp also very flexible.

Even if you are the trend-bucking type playstyle wise, there's certainly nothing wrong with keeping a tamer on your char select screen. Just dont let it become the only character you remember how to play!

rozarious

Visitor
Lord God, your suggestion is to drop Resist and i see it isnt included in your example template. Can i ask why, why is it not useful?

Also

Would you miind giving me an overview of "Vamp Form Vet Tamer Palladin" build not come across this one before?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Lord God, your suggestion is to drop Resist and i see it isnt included in your example template. Can i ask why, why is it not useful?
In PvM it is fairly redundant, due to many factors including how the skill checks are done, better template options that can block, remove or absorb curse type spells and poisons, and items like trap boxes, apples, mana foods, mastery's. Moderately difficult monsters (anything that has a hope of killing you) spawn with high enough Eval or SS or Focus (or whatever the relevant modifier) that even with 120 Resist you're still getting full curse durations and poisoned over 50% of the time.

I would go as far as to say that the Poisoning skill is actually better in PvM for it's passive auto-cure at 60 skill points or higher than 120 Resist.

Would you miind giving me an overview of "Vamp Form Vet Tamer Palladin" build not come across this one before?
Sure, the template is:

110 Tame
110 Lore
100 Vet
120 Swords (on a Human) \ 120 Macing (on a Gargoyle) \ 120 Archery for a PvP version.
90 Tactics
100 Necro
90 Chivalry

You can then boost or adjust skill levels if you have a suit with skill items.

You don't really need more Tame/Lore than that to control anything.
You can use your pet as a shield by positioning yourself or the monster hitting you on the same tile as the pet. This means you can always use Vet.
Being in Vamp Form you are continually healing so damage from things like auras/area spells is irrelevant providing you don't move your pet off the same tile it will re-target the pet.
You can easily play it as a 4/6 Paladin due to not having to worry about Bush/Parry/shields.

You can play the character a dozen different ways, for example at champ spawns you can stand under your pet letting it take all ranged damage as everything surrounds you as you Vet, then put it on guard as you hit area/whirlwind. Or you can let the pet clear one area while you run around being a dexxer.

You can debuff for your pet or have it debuff for you. You could even make a Wraith version by splitting Necro with SS and possibly lowering Chiv a little. Dishing out tons of dps with endless specials.

rozarious

Visitor
In PvM it is fairly redundant, due to many factors including how the skill checks are done, better template options that can block, remove or absorb curse type spells and poisons, and items like trap boxes, apples, mana foods, mastery's. Moderately difficult monsters (anything that has a hope of killing you) spawn with high enough Eval or SS or Focus (or whatever the relevant modifier) that even with 120 Resist you're still getting full curse durations and poisoned over 50% of the time.

I would go as far as to say that the Poisoning skill is actually better in PvM for it's passive auto-cure at 60 skill points or higher than 120 Resist.

Sure, the template is:

110 Tame
110 Lore
100 Vet
120 Swords (on a Human) \ 120 Macing (on a Gargoyle) \ 120 Archery for a PvP version.
90 Tactics
100 Necro
90 Chivalry

You don't really need more Tame/Lore than that to control anything.
You can use your pet as a shield by positioning yourself or the monster hitting you on the same tile as the pet. This means you can always use Vet.
Being in Vamp Form you are continually healing so damage from things like auras/area spells is irrelevant providing you don't move your pet off the same tile it will re-target the pet.
You can easily play it as a 4/6 Paladin due to not having to worry about Bush/Parry/shields.

You can play the character a dozen different ways, for example at champ spawns you can stand under your pet letting it take all ranged damage as everything surrounds you as you Vet, then put it on guard as you hit area/whirlwind. Or you can let the pet clear one area while you run around being a dexxer.

You can debuff for your pet or have it debuff for you. You could even make a Wraith version by splitting Necro with SS and possibly lowering Chiv a little. Dishing out tons of dps with endless specials.
Thanks appreciate the pointers

North_LS

Journeyman
Sure, the template is:

110 Tame
110 Lore
100 Vet
90 Tactics
100 Necro
90 Chivalry

ugh, now i have to make another tamer.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Dexer tamer is a great temp, you should already have one!

Well maybe not, as it isn't the most commonly thought of tamer hybrid. But if you're looking for a more involved playstyle or the notion of 'all kill, invis' macro spamming doesn't particularly thrill you, then you should definitely give it a shot.

If you dont mind redoing a suit, it's a fairly quick conversion for a standard mage tamer, as chiv is spammable and weapon skills train fast. Youll be too busy swinging a sword around to miss invis, and gating isn't an issue either with mountable pets.

I've always liked the 'ranger' archer/tamer, but have yet to try a melee weapon build. Does sound like a lot of fun, especially with the VE life leech. Now if only they had doggy barding...

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I tried an archer tamer and was not a big fan. I might have to try a dexer though.

One of the biggest issues was not having invisibility to get the monster to stop focusing me and carrying invisibility pots was an extra nuissance. I also couldn’t use the special moves with a Yumi (double shot) since I was unmounted.

I really wanted to try a Disco build on a pet. Disco plus max damage on an archer would be insanely hard hitting.

Taxiarch

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Gromda whats your toons names in Chessy? Maybe i can be of help with power scrolls cause i am not into riches fun exactly so i better help returning or new players in practice. My playing hours are a bit awkward since i play from Greece which mean that my clock shows 7 hours later than yours so i can never be ontime for 9 o clock evening events of server.looking forward to meet you ingame and show you around some tough things and give you some scrolls i have.

Gromda

Adventurer
I appreciate the offer Taxiarch, but was I actually able to scroll up Gromda and my Tamer/Mage pretty well (not to mention 120ing my crafter). Again, the offer is very much appreciated!