• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

>>>Paladin QA, Hints and TEMPLATES <<< Read Prior to Posting Template questions

C

Cludus

this is my doom, champ and general pvm pally

120 sword
110 parry
110 tactics
100 anatomy
100 chivalry
100 ress spell
80 focus

80 str
45 int
100 dex

but i think i'll drop focus to put on hiding...

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Panica Wrote:

Tactics does not add much to your damage. In the old days it use to improve you ability to hit. now it's just a waste of 100 skill points *(incase it comes back it is really easy to gain)*

If you are a Stratics Plus member, please check out the PVM Calculator, and click the Plus symbol next to the Damage section at the top of the calculator.

Here is the dirt:

My Pally is 120 Anat, 100 Tactics and 100 STR. With a Bone Harvester with a 3% DI, the weapon will do 35 to 40 HP of damage. It sometimes goes to 42 or 45 per whack. This same weapon with 0 Tactics drops to 26 to 30 HP per whack, based on the calculator. Let's talk percentages...

With Tactics - 35-40 HP a Whack

Without Tactics - 26 to 30 HP a Whack

This represents about a 25.71% Decrease in damage dealt without Tactics.

This, imho, is a SIGNIFICANT Damage reduction, and I, for one, am most certainly keeping Tactics on my Pally Template, which currently is:

120 Swords
120 Anat
100 Tactics
100 Parry
95.4 Healing (100)
89 Resist (100)
70 Chiv
25.6 Focus (10)

I am very fortunate to have come across my Bone Harvester wep with my tamer. It has
36% Mana Leech (Hence no Focus) This ROCKS
30% SSI
12% DCI AND
a Whopping 3% DI

This weapon eliminates my need for Focus or Med...I rarely, if ever, run out of Mana, thanks to the high SSI and a stacked 34% HCI through Jewelry and a shield.

Bottom Line: Look CAREFULLY at Tactics...it does more than increase your chance to hit...the difference between 0 Tactics and 100 Tactics means definitively that it will take you 25% or more hits to kill what you are whacking. An important consideration, indeed.

M

mrwarpig

The newest pally I'm working on, The Holy Mage
110 Swords
110 magery
110 eval
100 resist
100 meditation
100 focus
80 chivalry
Str 90, Int 95, Dex 60
I haven't tried PvP with him yet, but between casting spells and a collection of good weapons he kills most monsters really fast.

X

XplosiV

A Pally was my first char when i first got the game a few months ago, as he uses swords i just want him to hit, and hit hard, here is what he has atm

120 Swords
100 Chiv
100 Parry ( it will be )
100 Tactics
100 Focus
100 Anatomy
100 Taming ( soon )
95 Animal Lore ( soon )

I have him as a Pally / Tamer as so he can use a couple of nice pets like well trained mares, while riding a swampy. Granted these are not the strongest pets in the game but im also trying to get him a Crystal ball of pet summoning so i can bring to my aid either of my dragons or my WW - as i dont go out loaded with pets in the first place, i normally ride a swampy / mare, either of which with the Crystal ball will allow me to summon either another mare or drag if need be.

I also have another Pally, who is yet still fairly new. I was never to hot on the idea of archery, but as i want to hit and hit hard, im thinking it could be a bonus to have archery instead of a malee skill, with the distance hits and all. Heres a template in thinking of ... The shard i play is an 815 Skill Cap

120 Archery
120 Anatomy
120 Tactics
120 Chiv
120 Animal Lore
100 Taming
115 Focus

As you see, with taming for the same reasons as above with my first pally, but if not taming and lore maybe poisoning could be an option. What do you guy's think of these templates ? Is there any other skills you could suggest that would increace the damage done to monsters for my Pally using a viking sword ? Maybe lumberjacking, i dont know.

Edit : I just got told that LJ does help a fair bit, so im going to drop by 200 points on the taming &amp; lore, and get up LJ with 100 points to put onto the 120 scrolls on the 5 most usefull skills. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif So my new template for my main pally char will be this ...

120 Swords
120 Chiv
120 Parry
110 Anatomy
120 Tactics
120 Focus
100 LJ ( dont know if you can get a PS for that )

Total 810 points - unless i can get a 105 LJ or a 115 anat scroll

S

SoCalian

110 swords
90 parry
100 tactics
90 anatomy
90 healing
40 focus
100 resist
80 chiv

100 str
75 dex
50 int

this is a PvP and PvM template that I am working on that only uses the minimum caps (700 skills, 225 stats). I plan on adding any more stat point I can from scrolls in to Dex. That way with a +25 scroll I will have 100 dex.

P

pure chaos

Ive been playing for about 1 year off an on, and am still amazed at how much I have no clue about. Im shocked to hear about a paly soloing Balrons and Dooming. I have a 105 sw GM TAC/MED/FOC/ANAT, almost CHIV. My parry and rez are ~50.

As I started to consider which ones to pump up past GM I realized I didnt realy know the benifits of &gt;100 for very many skills.

As I read this post I became amazed at how each mix of skills really can be made to work in most situations augmented by other gear. like the guy who used a mana leech to not need med or focus. and such...

So I come not really for advise on what my mix should be, but for the information which would allow me and others to really decide amonst the top 10 skills for a pally char - what truely are the exact benifits ranging from 80 to 120 of TAC/ANA/CHIV/FOC/weopon/MED etc..

When I started reading some posts recently was when I was exposed to the idea that chiv &gt;90 or so is not of too much value - what does it mean to have higer then 100?

Thanks,

C

Cata

My template: (715 skillpoints)

Swords........110
Tactics........110 (not sure about this one, GM hiding would be usefull)
Anatomy......105
Healing........105 (heal/cure/rez)
Resist .........100 (mostly to prevent curses, to be able to lower INT)
Parry...........100
Chivalry.......85 (for enemy of one and consecrate weapon)

STR 115 (with startscroll 240 total and MR armor)
DEX 100
INT 35

V

Virgil Tempest

My baja paladin's template (collecting dust now since moving to siege):

Swords: 115
Parrying: 115
Tactics: 100
Anatomy: 100
Resist: 90
Healing: 85
Chivalry: 75
Focus: 40

Stats:
Str: 90
Dex: 100
Int: 65

If I was to ever play Rayne again (doubtful) I think I'd drop focus completely and get him out of his 60-70s suit and get him in a leather mana regen suit with decent resists. I would then take resist to 100, tactics to 110, anatomy to 105, healing to 90, and chivalry to 85. I've had Rayne to Doom twice and he's came back with one artifact, he can kill daemons two at a time with no problem, and dragons, blood elementals, and wyrms aren't a problem for him, so it must be a decent template.

G

Here is a template that I am working with, On the 6th Character slot, I decided to practice what I preached and start from scratch a new Pally. I did not purchase this char I worked every singel skill, only with help of My Sister Lady Xotche Of Mead.

I had the money to splurge on the scrolls and bump her caps up and this is what I call a 5 step program ...
I listed the Current Skill and stats...
then I list my first Step of desired goals... "BABY STEPS"
They are reachable goals that build on each other,
A. you can accomplish as you find or buy the scrolls
B. you will notice differenced between all different stages.
C. most important you will have fun.

I catered this toward a 720 skill cap. but you can slice and dice as you see fit to accomodate 700 skill cap or better

<pre> Skills Current Opt 1 Opt 2 Opt 3 Opt 4 Opt 5
Anat 105.6 110 110 115 115 120
Parry 101.1 110 110 115 115 120
Healing 95.8 100 110 100 110 100
Sword 95.9 100 110 115 115 120
Tactics 96.7 100 100 115 115 100
Chiv 67.8 100 70 60 50 60
resist 52.8 100 110 100 100 100
Focus 92.2 0 0 0 0 0
Med 12.1 0 0 0 0 0
720 720 720 720 720 720

STATS
STR 110 100 100 105 100 100
Dex 110 110 110 110 115 115
Int 25 35 35 35 30 35
CAP 245 245 245 250 245 250
int jewlery new 37 47 47 47 42 47

</pre>

You are probably asking Why So low Int.. Well I use Healing for mostly myself ... and that is why I like dexterity to be as high as possible. Also it help a great deal with amount of damage per second a plus in my book

I also 90% of the time have a +12 or +10 mana regen Suit On. I can do Enemy of one CW back to back .. Chiv is normally just for travel some emergency healing Cureing and removing curse. I rely on the tip of my sword to do the rest. With 100 and 110 resist your base resistances are 40'sh all ... Normally I wear a suit that is in the mid 60's for Ph. Enrg. and Fire resist. Don't bother much with poison or cold.

Tips on gaining skills.
Parry--- Get a full suit of Plate DUll Copper armor and shield. Go find some Hinds surround your self with about 10 of them attacking you ..."PS" Don't kill them allow them to hit you. Stand still and heal... easy gains till 90's parry. Then do the same with Harpies. till 120

Sword. Fight alot ... what ever, when ever, whom ever, I recomend Wind Infiltrators, Terathans and Ophidians ... good for resist working too

Anatomy-- Don't sweat it it goes up faster then anything
Tactics -- same deal just fight.
Healing-- Start out you base char with 50 healing and 50 resist. and just work it. it will go up

Resist- fight imps for 4 days straight.. lol ...

focus -- why bother-- but just get drunk on a boat and you'll go up
Chiv... USE IT .. you can get mid 40's just from traveling.

I hope this helps.

J

Jopl

what's better to have, healing or magic resist for PVM if you have skills:

swords
parry
anat
tact
focus
chivalry
healing/resist

skill cap of new player

is pala healing enough to survive? (heals max around 37 point or i read)

G

Well that is really up to your style of game and what you are willing to live with.

Let's say that
Sword
tactic
Anatomy
Parry
These are must have skills and you need to devote atleast 100 points each This covers 400 skills points.

Now you have to choose 3 more skills,
Pros to Resist Versus Healing:
With Resist, you get a base armor boost that is considerable and helpfull
example 110 resist yields 42 % base resistance to all elements and physical damage as well .. that mean start naked you will see 42 that will not change no matter what.
With Resist you will reduce the paralyzation, curse, manavamp, poinson and others harmfull spells agains you considerably. example; with out resist you get paralyzed for about 10 second, long enough for a balron to walk up on you and slap you before casting on you. With resist you have a chance of completely blocking the spells affect, and if paralyzed you only get paralized for less or close to a second.. the effect of the other harmful spell also is resist dependent.
Now the Cons..
You loose the ability to cure and heal with a simple cheap easy to obtain Band Aid. WIth high dexterity you may heal every 4 seconds. that is nothing to take for granted.

Healing Versus Resist.
Pros.
Even with very low Chiv.. Since you will GM Anatomy you will heal a larg amount of damage fairly simple and cheap. Anatomy is a complimentary skill to healing, At 61.2 healing you can start curing poison, At 81.2 Healing you can start resurecting folks. YOu need Chivilry at least at 70 to successfully start to ressurect.
Cross healing when you fight with you buddy's side by side drains you mana if you rely only on Chiv.. Baind aids do not use any mana and allows you to concentrate you mana for fighting. plus cross healing time is half the time of regular heal.. this mean you and your buddy can heal each other every 2 seconds 30 to 45 points ... that is really handy.
Cons...
Again as described above you will get paralized, you will get poisoned, you will get cursed and so on...

My honest Opinion, which is why my template above refelct it... again it's an opinion and it's up to you on how you want to play it.

for PvM Chivarly in the 60's is not that bad. Enemy of One and concecrate wepon Focus at 40 can be easily compensated by just +3 Mana regen point that is two pieced of armor one with 2 the other with 1, or two pieces with +2 will give you the focus of 110 equivalent.

That free's up 100 skill points so you can have the best of both worlds.
who sais you can't have your cake and eat it too...
Sword 100
anat 100
tact 100
parry 100
Chiv 60
focus 40
healing 100
resist 100

Cons..
Focus also regenerate you life and stamina...
not as fast as a bandain will regenerate your life though.
and not as fast as Devine Fury will regenerate you stamina.

I am a strong advocate of mana regen items. and having alternate ways to heal.
for every 20 point of focus you gain a mana regen +1 point.
that mean that you can have +5 mana regen with 100 focus.
the stamina regen is really the biggest down fall.. but you can find both stamina and mana regen items .

Currently I use a suit of +12 Mana regen and +5 stamina regen with +3 hitpoints regen. what does this mean

it means i am
regenerating mana equivalent to 240 focus.
regenerating Stamina equival to 100 focus.
regenerating hit points equiv to 60 focus.

the mana regen allows me to low my int. raise my dex for faster healing and faster weapoin swing.
the if you combine a stron weapon .. slayer attributes and fast swing when fighting your amount of damage persocond will be extraordinary...
I cannot tell you which way to go but i can say
healing and resist are both important...

J

Jopl

wow... thnx a lot for this nicely explained replay. It'll shure help me with my paladin. i'll let you know how my pala will stand in PvM /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

J

Jengo Ninefinger

Jengo's current skills.

100 Focus - Locked
100 Anatomy - Locked
100 Tactics - Locked
100.1 Healing - Locked
86.x Chiv - Marked up (will lock at 89.8)
107.x Swords - Marked up (will lock at 110)
96.x Resist - Marked up (will lock at 100.1)

Any thoughts on this guy? Right now I am digging who and what he is so I thought to share this template with you.

The next powerscroll I will buy for this guy is a +20 Stat scroll. After that a 115 Swords. Eventually I will have a 705 skill cap which will be nice...

G

You have a good template is this a PvM or PvP char..

I recomend you find some Really neak equipment to assist it.

I assume you fight with mostly double blades, hally's or two handed wepons.

Your offensive is nice
Pros:
-Two ways of healing.. 3 if you carry Pots.
-high resist, keeps para low and all other debufing spells.
-max haling and damamge allowable by having anata, tact and sword over 100.
-better then average accuracy with sword at 107..
-mana regen for special moves and attacts. focus at 100.0

Cons..
PvP You need to do alot of damage quick and fast or get owned with out parry or eval int.
PvM can't stand toe to toe with most monsters because of low defence.

Recomendation.
Find as much Defence chance equip, as you can ..
Find really nice equipment like jewlery, that will improved your skills and give you 2/1 or 3/1 casting ability.

your goal should be to be able to heal in seconds.
High dex and 6/4 casting will do that for you.
two 3/2 rings and weapons with +1 shield with +1

100 focus
100 tact (110 with +10 brace 3/2)
105 anat (115 with +10 ring 3/2)
100 healing
80 chiv
120 sword (true 120, recomended)
100 resist

as you get another +5 add it to tact
the year after that to anat again
the year after that to tact again

your goal after 4 years is
120 word (true)
120 anat (+10 with jewl)
120 anat (+10 with jewl)
100 healing
100 resisting
100 focus (good idead to find nice pieces with +2 regen too)
80 chiv.

A

Antman852

ok i am totally new to a pally template or a warrior for that matter but i wanted to make a doom/pvm pally...i got a 720 skill cap and i have no idea what to put for him but i did gather..any help would be greatly appricated

G

Well for doom, Two pally types that are going to be the best are:

Paly Mele
Mele 120
ant 110
parry(very important) 120
healing 100
tactics 110
focus/Resist/Hiding(only if you going with 7 skill) 80
pally 80

Wear As much DCI,,, and As much HCI

Paly Archer
Archer 120
anat 120
tact 120
healing 100
resist 80 or hiding
focus/med 100 (or swop for all 120's
Pally 80

6 skill
Sword 120
anat 120
tact 120
parry 120
pally 120
resist 120

currently there is no way of actually getting pally past 115

so the best option is 7 skills
Sword 120
anat 120
tact 100
parry 120
pally 80
resist 100
healing 80

A

Antman852

both swords temps dont have chivalry...any reason? doesnt that make the pally special from just a dexxer?

G

my appologies you right ...
i will edit the previous post!

and to answere you question

Does that make a pally any different then a dexer?

trully and honestly No, but the attributes gained by pally outweigh the cons... the one advantage that a pally has over a dexer is the ability to travel, the ability to cure with other then pots and aids, the ability to remove curse, and by far the most important one is the ability to double the damage delt. all this with out regs. you can die, have nothing in you pack and still heal your self. For doom this is important becuase more damage ensures you get looting rights.

In this age i don't see how a dexer would chose not to have pally at least in the 60's unless they are stricly PvPers then Pally can be useles.

B

bane_of_shadows

My Paly is Glorius Lord Saiyan on Pacific. I know that this temp may seem strange but it has been very effective, but I do absolutely no PvP. I can solo balrons and AW's with he assistance of slayer weapons.

swords 110
Arch 87 (working to 110)
tactics 110
Anat 105
Heal 100
Focus 95
Chiv 80

The Remove curse ability pretty much takes care of the no resist. Para is the only spell that sometimes hurts me, but its more anoying than anything else. Very rarely has it resulted in a death. My archery is only in the 80's right now but I can rip through a dragon in less than a minute. I can usually solo two drags at once fairly easy. For balrons I have to use hit and run but with Eoo and CW coupled with daemon slaying viking swd or halberd It doesn't take long to kill him. The AW took a while to figure out my tactics. Now I do pretty good. I use a dragon slaying halberd with swing inc and over 20 dmg inc. I have to use hit and run. It usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes to take him out. I fight him in ilsh. I lore him close to the gypsy camp so If I do die I can run there for a quick rez. I love this char. I cant wait to get him to over gm archery and check him out then.

G

that was the template of my red before he went red.. except i used fencing and instead of focus i had resist.

You seem to be happy with the way that character works for you and I applaud your dedication to a double weapon worrior It's admirable and archery has alot of benifits to a template.

the only thing that i see with you template is that you are limited to hit and run! but again you seem to be doing well with it. Keep up the good work!

I say that you are limited to hit and run, becuase you may already know this, you can't take a direct mele hit from them or lights out.

The lack of resist with dragons is not that big of a deal, but you start with deamon, saccube, bloods, LL, or Balrons and you will find the your other nemisis is paralization spells.

True that chiv has many many advantages, that's why i have dedicated my game play to the are and fine tune of chiv..

Now if I was in your shoes I would choose your favorite skill (sword/archery)

I would jump on archery since you really don't need parry for it.
swith my sword from 110 sword to 70 resist.
and do the following(assuming only 700) skill points

120 archery
115 anatomy
115 tact
100 heal
100 focus
70 resist
80 chiv

Archery is so much fun, Like you said it bring out alof of enjoyment.

That is just me tho, I know having two weapon skill rules but you will enjoy spending 30 seconds per dragon, instead of 10 minutes. you will be a farming machine.

I like the enthusiasm that you have expressed using that character. and really i would not change anything untill you have achieved at least 110 archery,
it's a tough choise but if I had to choose Archery would win.

what ever decision you make, good luck and I am glad you are enjoying the game. Your storry will be a very helpful addition to this post.

A

Antman852

i hate archery and dont see how you can kill a beamon in less than a minute with that temp with a slayer wep..archery with 110 archery tac doesn't hit enough and i find people taking the kill with swords or fencing pallys which is annoying

G

that is just it you don't have to fight with the pally for the kill.

I use a Deamon Slayer 35 DI, SSI 25% with +25 Stamina leach.
I also wear +25 DI brace and +22 DI ring
Jewlery give me +15 HCI (10 on ring 5 on brace.)

I hit deamons for 125-165 points a shot. If i Solo 3 shot kill a regular Deamon, 7 shot kill a Barlorn

Paragons 9 to 12 shot kill paragons and deamon a whole lot more then that ...
those do take a while because they heal so quick.

I never fight the paly I use them as meat shield... I walk up on Paragon with out getting targeted shoot and sit back and chill..

i do 125-140 damage a shot to paragons with EEO and CCW... I have no trouble what soever with them.. Unless i get targetted then i run faster then a Jannie creg convention after an icecrem truck.!

B

bane_of_shadows

All right I've been trying to figure out how to make a paladin out of the two new classes. After a few days I have come up with this info. You can no tmake a paly samurai or ninja with tac, anat, and heal. You can have two of them but not all three. Unless you drop focus completely and then have to where a mana gen suit which usually have sucky resists. So which of the two to put together, well tact and anat together give you a good dmg increase, bout 20 point increase but no healing cept for chiv. With just tac its about a 10 point increase where with just anat its an 8 to 9 point inc. Therefore it would be better IMO to have gm anat and healing so that you still get a decent bonus and have the ability to heal. Just FYI with gm anat and a katana you hit for 20-24 points, with both anat and tac you hit for 28-33. Now this is without EoO and CW. So in conclusion of this long ramble Without tactics you can still do very nice dmg with chiv. Now for the two templates I've developed.

Samurai
Bushido 120
swd 120
anat 110
heal 100
chiv 80
Parry 100
focus 80

Ninja
Ninjitsu 110
swd 110
anat 100
heal 90
chiv 80
stealth 80
hiding 80 (or 50 and put 30 into tac)
focus 60

Now does anyone have anything to offer. I'm sorry I took so long to get all that out plz dont fuss too bad.

G

here is my take on bushido and ninjitsu.

I have questions for you first.

Do you sacrifice skills you know are helpful to a palading in order to try a new character class?

Do you sacrifice a character who's been gaining untill her/his template is completed? Now you chop him up to make a Paladin/Ninja or Paladin/Samuri.

At this point we, (the paladins), have gotten very used to our skills and are comfortable using them. For the most part we know what they do and what the benifits and the drawbacks are form palading skill.

A palading was made to improve and compliment the Old Worrior templates
giving Old pure worrior and increase in damage ability to travel, ability to cure sans aids. aility to remove curse regenerate stamina dispell evel to improve the outcome of a fight.

This constant Character chopping every time a new addition and new character come out take a toll on not only you but you characters imagine that 3 years down the rows you will have a character who's scrolled in about 15 skills only to use 6 and the rest are wasted.

My philosophy is to Designate your character life style and stick to it.

In example if you make a tradesperson Stack that char with all the possible trade you can think off and maximize them and you char will enter a use phase and not a constant looking for gains phase.

Make a Mage Maximize all possible gains untill you have completed your template and now you have a mage char who get's used when mage situation are required .. freem fom looking for contant gains.

paly same way..

I my oppinion, and it is just that. I recoment you make a Ninja or a Samuri (pure bread) and not a mixture of two classes ,,, maximize the possible potentials of that new specifics class... with out having to sacrifice your tactics or anatory or resist or parry ...

NOw having said that!

If you chose to put your pally on the choping block ... Please use a soul stone.. I would hate for you to loose all the good effort you have spent on a character.

I do how ever recomend that if you do deside to add ninjitsu or samuri use the one that will require less of a change to your character.

if you already have parry use samuri
if you have poisoning use ninja..

i personally have not used either char and cannot comment on how good or bad each class is. I m just glad I have one char slot left i can try to improve for an additional character

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Based on 720 skill points:
Sword 110
Tactics 100
Anatomy 105
Resist 100
Focus 100
Chivalry 96
Healing 89

Base Stats (scrolled to 250):
STR 96
DEX 84
INT 70

I wear Ancient Samurai Helm (DCI 15), Tunic of Fire (RPD 15), Leggings of Bane (STAM +8, HCI 20), Voice of the Fallen King (STR +8, HPR 5, STMR +3), Ring of the Elements (+64 resists), Bracelet of Health (HP +5, HPR 10), and Shield of Invulnerability (SC no neg, DCI 15, RPD 10). My arms add 7 Stamina, 2 HP's and Mana Regen of 2. My gloves add 6 Mana, 2 HP's, 2 Stamina Regen.

It took alot of trips to doom (and a ton of gold) to get all the arties, but that's what it really takes to be elite in this game.

The suit is at or over 70 on all resists with DCI of 30 (replaces Parry), HCI 20, RPD 25, HP Regen 15, Stamina Regen of 4, Mana Regen 2.

With HP Regen of 15, you gotta hit me often and hard to kill me or I just regen it in seconds (DCI helps stop you from hitting me too often).

I'm not sure, but HP Regen may max at 10, because it doesn't seem to regenerate much faster at 15 than 10.

My stats turn to
STR 104 (HP 113)
Dex 84 (STAM 100)
INT 70 (Mana 76)

I usually carry Red/White/Blue pots and purple petals for Paragon PvM or PvP.
They make it much easier, but are not required. They just make me warm all over. With this template, I can solo anything, though DF's take a long time.
I must admit, I've never tried a True Harrower, and of course Ba'al's been kicking my butt all over the place on Napa Luna.

In PvP, I do pretty good, though Legendary mages tend to take me down more often than I can get to them. In PvP tournaments, if I have to give up my ultra suit, I become above average; depending on my connection and a little luck.

If I was going to start a new Paladin, I'd start with 50 Melee (I like sword or fencing) and 50 healing. Buy Chivalry and Resist Magic in game.

Get your Chiv up...
Buy your 333 chiv from the Palidans in Luna. Also buy your Chivalry book and tithe at the alter above the bank. Now, get a boat and get into the 8x8 channel (lots of 8x8 FAQ stuff here at stratics) in Trammel. Once your Chiv hits around 65, you can leave it, and finish it later. Set your Meditation skill up (though you will get rid of it later) so you can get your Mana back faster while you are training.

Read the FAQ's on raising Melee with Jhelom Hired fighters (make sure you use your healing skill to heal them). Get your melee, tactics, and anat up to around 75, then take your guy to Level 2 of Despise. Kill Earthy's and Ettins until you get to 80-85. You can skip the Despise trip by getting jewelry with up to +30 in your melee skill. Basically, you want to have your melee skill over 80 and about 200,000 gold to start the next part of your training.

If you have about 100,000 to 200,000 gold around from killing the Earthy's and Ettin's or other means, buy a 100% poison weapon in your skill, and a GM made Golem. Take the Golem to Luna and stand outside the guard zone. Tell the Golem "all follow me", "All guard me". Attack it (oh, you need to be guilded), then spam it with "All Guard Me" (macro this) until it stops hurting you. Then just sit back and watch the gains come. You'll gain in melee, anatomy, and Tactics. Easy gains, no risk. Golems took me up to over 105 in Melee. At that point, I switched to Despise Level 3 Ogre Lords. Take your Red/White/Blue potions (mostly red to get your stamina back). Make sure you have 70 in physical resist, then kill the Ogre Lords! Heal yourself whenever you get below 50%. The Ogre lords aren't too fast, especially after you wear them down a bit. Your Str and Dex should gain pretty fast here. Be careful...these guys are Tough! At least they don't use any magic. Also make sure you don't cross the bridge where the 2 Ogre Lords spawn. You won't be ready to solo two Ogre Lords until you are a little more advanced.

At this point, you might want to get back on your boat and finish up your Chivalry. Once Chiv is where you want it, lock it, and turn Meditation down.

Now for Resist. Buy it from a Mage Guildmaster. This should get you to around 30. While you are at it, buy 30 in Magery. You'll turn this down later. Buy a spell book and a scroll for Weaken and protection. Add the scrolls to the spellbook. Buy 300-400 Garlic and NightShade. You'll also need a little Ginseng and Sulphurous Ash. Cast Protection on yourself. Your Resist will go down by 35 (below 0). Your resists will change too. Don't worry about that! We'll fix that later. Open your Skill Gump so you can see your resist skill. Choose to show your real skills. Now start casting Weaken on yourself over and over again. You'll see Resist gains everytime you cast it until you get to around 45. once it stops, cast Protection on yourself again. Do something else for awhile (visit a dungeon; that's always fun!). Dying also helps, so don't get too upset if you die. Come back to protect/weaken every day or so, and you'll slow gain resist until you are between 50 and 60. Now, turn Magery skill down. You don't need it anymore.

The next step is to find a ring and a bracelet with the highest amount of Resisting Spells you can find. The most you can get is +30, but you want as much as you can afford/find.

Now that you have your jewelry, you need to get your Real resist up to a point where you can add your jewelry to get to your cap. For instance, if your jewelry is +28, you know you need to get your real resist up to 72.

Here's the best places to get your resist from 50-60 up to 72, or whatever amount you need....

Hedge Maze center. There's about 5 or 6 imps that spawn here. Bring a Daemon Slayer and some cure potions. Avoid the Daemons until you feel confident that you can kill them (they aren't as nasty as they look, especially if you have a cold/poision/energy daemon slayer and some RWB potions). Attack the imps, and let them cast spells on you. They won't do much damage since their Eval Int is so low. You'll get around 10-20 gains an hour off of these guys.

Reapers north of Minoc. These guys do a bit more damage, but they don't move. Attack them and let them cast spells on you. Bring some cure potions (or heal yourself if your healing is above 60).

Liches on the road between Skara Brae and Yew. There are some ruins on the road just southeast of Yew where 4-5 liches spawn (at least on the Napa shard). Bring an undead slayer and some cure potions (healing if you are over 60). With an undead slayer, the liches will go down with about 3-4 whacks. Let them cast on you. Be careful not to be cornered by 3 or 4 of these guys because they can kill you. Their laugh is much worse than their bite.

I alternate between these three locations. That seems to help the gains.

Once you have enough Resist to hit your cap with your jewelry, it's time to go to the Hedge Maze.

Stratics FAQ's on gaining resist are very helpful. Basically you want to be at your cap with your jewelry, then find an Imp that you gain resist off of. Once you find him, let him follow you into the maze until you are away from the center (you don't want to be bothered while you are gaining). Now get around the hedges where the imp is on one side and you are on the other (the hedge is between you and the imp). Now just stand there and let him cast on you. You may want to nail him with a weaken spell from time to time just to wake him up. Using this method, you can gain all the way to GM. You'll gain everytime he casts non-damaging (weaken, curse, mana vampire, etc.) spells on you. Don't physically attack the imp, and don't cast any offensive spells on him (just weaken).

A trick for raising your healing is to go the Covetous. Walk onto one of the exploding spots to damage yourself, then heal yourself. Repeat this until you get to where you want to be with healing. Kill any Harpy's that bother you.

OK. That's it no more help...Go do it yourself!