• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Paladin -- Acquired!

O

Onewing

I've unlocked Paladin! Woot!

Sure maybe that's not such a big deal. It is to a guy who only plays once or twice a season. ;) I figured out most of the third quest in the series on my own, unlocking the riddles of the books from Balasiel. I found the location, but then I did some research before running into the beastmen-infested fort blindly.

Unfortunately, my sneak (using Silent Oil) ran out and I used it which took off my invisibility and an Orc found me and killed me (deleveling me from 30 to 29). That is, after I got the needed item. Fortunately, once you have the item (or perhaps the quest), the level requirement is no longer necessary.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations! Sorry to hear about the delevel, though :( I know this has been a goal of yours for a long time, even before I was staff I remember reading about it.

I gotta hand it to you for figuring it all out, too. Seems I can't play a day without visiting a site for something or other.

O

Onewing

Out of curiosity, I don't really know how the silent oil and prism powder items work very well. I figured out that using silent oil after prism powder takes off invisiblity. So, I should use silent oil first then prism powder.

However, I got messages that "sneak" was about to wear off. I stopped in a spot where nobody could see me and I used silent oil and then prism powder, hoping to stay concealed. But then, sneak wore off anyway a few seconds later (when I wasn't so hidden). Do I need to wait for sneak to wear off and then use silent oil?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you get the message "sneak wore off", that's when to use the silent oil. If you use before, your old is still in effect. I usually have it up to the subtarget, just waiting for the "Chaparrita's sneak effect wore off." message while in a safe place. And yes. Anytihng you do will cause invisible to wear, but not so with sneak.

O

Onewing

Gotcha! I suppose it's more of a gameplay design choice rather than a logical one. Oh well, lesson learned.

T

tanls

Sneak first, any action causes Invis to wear. Instead of waiting for sneak to wear, if you are in a safe place, you can remove your existing sneak by "clicking" the sneak icon. That way, you don't have to just stand there waiting for it to wear. This works for most effects that you do, including JAs. It doesn't work on food though.

And....

Altana Bless You! Welcome to the Mighty Ranks of the Holy Orders!!! Welcome fellow Paladin and Well Met!

LOL. I really like PLD. I love being in the thick of things and having the mobs just HATE on me!!! Tanking is a real blast. Hope you enjoy leveling PLD.

O

Onewing

Okay, so I've got WAR 30, MNK 15 and WHM 15. I'm thinking of keeping WAR as the subjob, just because I have the experience in it and I know how to play it (plus it gives me provoke). Also, I won't have to change my subjob anytime soon. :) Would one of the other subjobs be better that I'm not realizing?

Paladin up to level 10, woot!

And, for fun, I started logging what monsters I've killed:

Huge Hornet 58
Tunnel Worm 23
Ding Bats 9
Stone Eater 33
Young Quadav 16
Vulture 6
Rock Lizard 1
Walking Sapling 13
Amber Quadav 2
Amethyst Quadav 2

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
About the only other thing you'll want to sub is NIN, but not til you're a 75 so you have time :) Otherwise, maybe WHM for soloing. I've never seen anything but PLD/WAR, PLD/NIN and PLD/WHM.

T

tanls

If you are going to party, sub WAR. There really isn't anything else. One of the things that will make you the premier tank job are all the JAs you get. Provoke will be your main stay. You really have no other large spike hate tools until you get Flash. Once you get Flash, you will be doing combinations of Flash/Voke to maintain hate. Because Flash is a spell, once you can get Haste, it becomes important that you get hasted, just for that spell. So remind your healers, both WHM and RDM to haste you.

All other subs are situational, including /NIN. There are many situations end game where you will go /nin, but until you get utsu: NI, it's of limited importance. As far as the other subs are concerned, they are basically soloing subs. You go /WHM in campaign for the free reraise, SS, blink. You will basically never go /mnk. There's no real reason for it. You don't need boost and besides the nominal HP increase, it really doesn't do much for you. If you get a chance, one of the best subs that you can have for your PLD is RDM. This is also for soloing, and you get all the benefits of having WHM sub except RR (but that's what RR earrings are for) but you also get all the en-spells, which make your hits better. It's also the original "supertank" set up with phalanx added. You'd be amazed at the amount of damage you can shrug off with phalanx, SS, blink, rampart, sentinel.

In the end though, play what you want. Just realize that for party purposes, they will want you to sub war because you won't be able to hold hate otherwise. All other SJs are open for soloing though. /DNC is an awesome SJ, but seeing as how WAR is your highest job at 30, any other advanced job to sub is kinda out of your reach. If you want to farm to make gil, I often go PLD/THF because my thf is only lvl 20 and I haven't got around to getting it any higher, but you get TH1 at 15.

B

Banhammer

tanls has the right of it. In EXP parties, the tank should always sub /WAR. (The only exception that comes to mind is when two DNC/NIN are trading aggro.) Some endgame situations like Sky and Dynamis may call for PLD/NIN, but I don't have PLD or NIN high enough to speculate on what that's like.

O

Onewing

PLD/NIN sounds like such a weird combo, not stat-wise, but logistically. Paladins is a holy/defensive type while ninjas are stealthy assassins. Meh.

We should do like Titan Quest and give job combinations their own names. I'd call PLD/NIN a Double Agent.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PLD/NIN is pretty much the standard in Sky. Their main hate tools are Flash and Cure IV and the /NIN is mainly for Utsusemi (shadows, or blink).

B

Banhammer

PLD/NIN is pretty much the standard in Sky. Their main hate tools are Flash and Cure IV and the /NIN is mainly for Utsusemi (shadows, or blink).
And trust me, Cure IV is a damn good hate tool. I once did a Divine Seal Cure IV on myself as RDM/WHM, and it took the tank three Provokes to get the mob off me.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blinking all your HP gear can create enough hp loss that you can get in at least a maxed cure III or partial cure IV.
Not to mention pissing the WHM off to the point where she won't cure you ;)

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just for the record.. there was an outage earlier and the time got wacked due to it. That's why my reply appears before the post I quoted. lol

T

tanls

Cure IV ends up being a main hate tool for PLDs. In my end game shell, the only ppl really allowed to cast cure IV are PLDs. III and V only from WHM because they generate less hate. RDMs should spam Cure IIIs if needed, but if things are going right PLDs shouldn't ever be cured by anyone anyways. Just a regen III and they will self cure with cure IV. Some PLDs have HP set ups where they will blink gear to lower hp just so they can self cure for more hate. Just swapping in a Bomb Queen ring with 75hp helps and is a cure 2 hate spike by it's self. Blinking all your HP gear can create enough hp loss that you can get in at least a maxed cure III or partial cure IV.