• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pack Instinct questions

D

Drawde2

Does it work just for your pets, or will other pets affect it too. If so, what's the cap?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pack instinct is limited to the pets under your control.

You get a bonus to the damage (including spell damage):

2 pack critters = +25%
3 pack critters = +50%
4 pack critters = +75%
5 pack dritters = +100%

They need to have the same pack instinct type eg arachnid before you'll get the damage bonus though.

Wenchy

D

Drawde2

Thanks. I figured that it working with all pets nearby was too powerful, but you never know.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks. I figured that it working with all pets nearby was too powerful, but you never know.
A thing that is not always obvious, summoned creatures may also have Pack Instincts and will contribute to the pack instincts of your pets if appropriate.

D

Drawde2

How good would two or three frenzies with a tank pet work? I was thinking a boura of some sort, most likely ruddy or highland, depending on which works best as a tank.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Shrug*

With those, you might find a Highland and a Lowland on one and a full pack of Frenzied on the other.

The upper limit mob you could take would be dictated by how fast the mob can kill the Highland vs it being healed, vs the Mob being killed by the Pack of Frenzieds.

In all cases it is always a DPS vs Hit Points, in both directions.

Just in case, DPS= Damage Per Second.

The mitigating factor on both sides, is the Effective Hit Point Regen. This is Natural+External Heals (Direct Heal and Heal over time).

Assuming you do not lose health points or your proxy (the pets) the amount of time the encounter takes is directly related to the DPS vs Health Points + Health Point Regeneration Rate.

Or more generalized Duration in Seconds=HitPoints / (DPS-HRRS), where again, HRRS = Hit Point Regeneration Rate in one second. DPS = Sustained Damage Per Second (Burst Damage per Second can be added to this, meaning damage spells etc. but is a bit more variable and therefore a bit more complicated unless you take readings over long periods of time and derive a more or less accurate average) In case some one wants to argue about Disco'd mobs then keep in mind it doesn't really change the formula it simply increases or decreases (depending on which side your looking from) the DPS.

/Begin Sarcasm
The above spread sheet playing of a MMORPG is due 100% to the knowing the numbers that go into the formula. :)
/End Sarcasm

If we did NOT know them, then we would be required to rely far more on the Player of the Characters Skills.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did run with 4 frenzied ostards and a gaman for a few days.

I decided that 5 frenzied were better.

Then I decided that no frenzied were better while I played with new pets.

Now my favorite pack is two wolf spiders and a scorpion. I tame a new scorpion every time I take the spiders out (no stable slots left to play with), but they still do decent damage (a LOT less than a 5 animal pack, for obvious reasons) and they have more survivability than the 5 animal pack due to better resists and more hitpoints.