• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Overcapping Pet Skills

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I see posts referring to training a pet's skill beyond GM as "scrolling". I realize that there is a training point cost to it, but haven't found anything stating that you actually have to have a powerscroll to overcap a skill. Just available training points.

Is a scroll actually needed, or is the phrase "scrolling" just what it is referred to as, since it is akin to using a powerscroll on your toon?

Follow up question: It seems that wrestling would definitely be a skill worth overcapping. Are magical skills (i.e. magery, chivalry) worth overcapping?

Thanks.

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Cool.

Not sure how I missed that page. Maybe because it's named "Animal Training". I had look at the "Pet Training" page.

Thanks.

Turkish

Journeyman
Yes, a power scroll is actually needed to train the ability to over 100 - unless it is already overcapped when tamed.

If I'm looking to save some points or gold on a pet but still want some scrolls, I usually focus on the wrestling, tactics, and the magic.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Magery, Necro, and Mysticism are not worth overcapping on a pet. Chiv and Disco most definitely are, while Bushido and Ninjitsu can be if they're being used for Feint or Frenzied Whirlwind.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Overcapping tactics doesn't make a big difference in damage output.

Most important are wrestling, chiv, eval int, spirit speak, spellweaving (personally I'm not a fan of spellweaving on pets), discord. focus (for mysticism damage).

Most of my pets are not scrolled at all, and guess what? They're still great pets!

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
Yes unfortunately a scroll is needed. It would be really awesome if you didn't need to spend the gold or time for scrolls. Here's what I'd say regarding them though, if you are going to make that big of an investment, make sure it's a pet worth doing it to. To fully scroll a pet is a huge investment and if the base pet isn't that great, you're wasting your money. If you're working with currently spawning animals, take the time to get a really good base pet. You'll spend less time, money and effort on that than you will on the scrolls. And while you are collecting/buying scrolls you'll still have an awesome pet that can deal a lot of damage and take a lot as well. I spent a couple days farming Najasaurus's and got a 2-slot 99.36% spawn intensity one, I got lucky with that one but even without scrolls he's a very strong pet and again it didn't take that much effort.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes unfortunately a scroll is needed. It would be really awesome if you didn't need to spend the gold or time for scrolls. Here's what I'd say regarding them though, if you are going to make that big of an investment, make sure it's a pet worth doing it to. To fully scroll a pet is a huge investment and if the base pet isn't that great, you're wasting your money. If you're working with currently spawning animals, take the time to get a really good base pet. You'll spend less time, money and effort on that than you will on the scrolls. And while you are collecting/buying scrolls you'll still have an awesome pet that can deal a lot of damage and take a lot as well. I spent a couple days farming Najasaurus's and got a 2-slot 99.36% spawn intensity one, I got lucky with that one but even without scrolls he's a very strong pet and again it didn't take that much effort.
Think you could find another one like that and sell it?

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Usually a good rule to follow is always 120 wrestle and 120 for whatever magic you are putting on your pet. Some people say magery, necro, myst are not worth it but the 120 scrolls for those are fairly cheap so why not? A personal choice for me is using 120 parry when I can to help with damage mitigation. Sometimes I do a 115 if it's not a really good pet. But that's a personal choice and I know 120 parry powerscrolls are expensive. Eval Int is only useful to scroll if you are going the magery route and focus with mysticism. And the only time I'll do all 120's is if it's a rare, legacy, or super good main pet.