• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Our hearts are with you Japan

• Thread starter Lord Exmortis
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Lord Exmortis

Trenton and myself attended the Memorial for the people of Japan this past Friday night on Sonoma. We were very moved by the turnout and the presentation that Trenton did a little write up for you all.

The spring night air stood still as I entered the land of Homare Jima. The sweet scent of cherry blossoms and the faint sounds of the Yoshimitsu warriors sparring in the distance distracted me for a moment from my real purpose tonight. My journey this evening was a somber one, attending the memorial service for those lost and suffering from the devastation in Japan.

As I approached the sculpted garden, I could see that a few others had already began to arrive. One of the first players I met was Kelmo who joined us from the Seige shard. We spoke as we waited. He recounted to me how there were many players on Seige who were from Japan, many of whom had not be heard from yet and that players there worry. It was a sentiment shared by many who would join us this evening. It wasn’t long before the garden was bustling with players. We had many players from Sonoma, but other shards were represented as well. I was able to talk players representing Napa Valley, Baja, and Lake Superior; though I am sure more were present. Other noted guests where our EMs, Sangria and Eira, as well as Lady Mesanna.

As our host for the evening, Queen Mum soon called the service to order. We began with the sounding of bells and the beating of drums as players formed a circle and lit candles. Once our candles were burning brightly, we paused for a moment of silence to honor those who could not be with us. I couldn’t help but notice that nature itself seemed to honor the missing with stillness throughout the garden. As the ceremony continued, Queen Mum recited the following poem or remembrance:

Remembrance is a golden chain
Death tries to break it, but all in vain.
To have, to love, and then to part
Is the greatest sorrow of ones heart.
The years may wipe out many things
But some they wipe out never.
Like memories of those happy times
When we were all together.

I am sure mine were not the only tears shed during the poem. The poem was followed by a short prayer which asked for mercy and compassion for those who have lost and reminded us that death is not the end, but merely a gateway. As I listened to Mum’s words I could not help but remind myself that as we remember and honor those we have lost, we let their light shine though us. The ceremony then concluded with the dedication of a small bonsai tree in the center of the garden. May it serve as a reminder to the future to cherish our friends and loved ones because we never know what tomorrow might bring.

After the ceremony I took a seat in the garden next to a beautiful tree full of cherry blossoms. As I sat quietly I must admit I was a little surprised as I listen to the conversations. My heart was lifted as players recounted the stories, not of those who were lost, but of those who survived against the odds. It reminded me that, even in the face of so much disaster, hope was not lost.

On behalf of those who attended, I wish to extend a special thank you to Queen Mum and those who helped organize tonight’s memorial for all their hard work. Until next time I bid thee safe journeys and farewell.

Trenton