• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OT: Who felt the 'Quake?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hope everyone is okay. 5.9 earthquake hit VA around 2 p.m. ET, no damage or injury reported but felt from Canada to North Carolina from what I've read. Largest VA quake since 1897.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got a text from my brother in Jersey, said he felt it there... I musta slept through it if it hit here..

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is so funny watching the news about all this. I am sorry but if you lived in Calif. for any time at all you would laugh too.

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is so funny watching the news about all this. I am sorry but if you lived in Calif. for any time at all you would laugh too.
you're laughing that an area that very rarely experiences earthquakes has just experienced a shallow one that "felt like a building collapsed just like when the towers fell on 9/11"? Those people have been traumatized, it is nothing to laugh at.

Not to mention the fact that the east coast is for the most part unprepared for earthquakes...

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
my main company office in PA felt it as well, just got off the phone with them.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Got a text from my brother in Jersey, said he felt it there... I musta slept through it if it hit here..
:talktothehand: VIRGINIA wouldn't be felt by ya ludes ...
Earthquakes

You wouldn't have felt those in your state (if Colo Springs location is accurate)
THOSE(on the map at link) are mitigated by the the Rocky Mountains
and likely being caused by unlicensed Fraking operations searching for another outcropping of Oilshale.

*shakes head*
Americans and their geography/geology confusion ...:redx:quake! quake!

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well good... there's a good reason why I didn't feel it then..

Glad it wasn't me just dozing away in a drunken slumber.

V

Vrog Groggor

knocked pictures off my walls in Jersey. My wife's work evac'd in jersey due to walls shaking and files falling from shelves, etc... nothing major but we rumbled for sure.

C

Capn Kranky

Hmmm, from N Carolina to Marthas Vineyard according to some. Peers in Vermont say they felt it ... er, their computers shifted some on the desks. However none of us here felt it (NY state N of Syracuse).

Interesting ...

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
north Jersey here, Ludes, and my monitor began to wobble..... figure the hubby is juggling something in the room next to this one and look in there and he's checkin' under the bed to see what's shaking it

comforting to know that the backup generators for the nuclear plant down there kicked in when the power went out

checked around a bit to see if I could find a good map of where the Ramapo fault line runs, if anyone has one could ya post it? cause I'm thinkin' it's longer than just NY/NJ

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My wife works in a suburb NW of Chicago, and her 3 story building swayed a bit.....she called me and asked me if I felt it........

Z

Zyon Rockler

I heard what sounded like a small explosion. It's very hard to explain. It was a muffled sound as if it was a few rooms away but as I heard the end of the sound, I felt the vibrations under my feet. As the sound stopped, so did the vibration, happened very quickly.

I lived my whole life and never felt an earthquake in this area, let alone knew there was a sound that went with it. For the last 3 or 4 days in a row, we have been getting hail warnings and severe thunderstorm warnings and severe lightning. So, even though tornadoes are rare, I would have sooner expected a tornado. I can tell you, the weather is strange.

But imagine a place that hasn't felt shaking in over 100 years, begins to move. It makes you wonder what might happen to places that have experienced regular quakes. You would think, if you get a 5 point something, somewhere that never moves, you might be able to possibly add that to another place that gets them all the time.

Scary stuff!

Rosalinda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, so THAT's what's the problem with account management?

*runs away and hides*

Note: didn't feel a thing here (UK)

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you're laughing that an area that very rarely experiences earthquakes has just experienced a shallow one that "felt like a building collapsed just like when the towers fell on 9/11"? Those people have been traumatized, it is nothing to laugh at.

Not to mention the fact that the east coast is for the most part unprepared for earthquakes...
no it didn't.... i live in new york, i felt it, all that happened was my computer monitor slightly shook for about 10 seconds and done, stop making something out of nothing, i've lived in NY all my life, through 9/11 and all, people need to learn to get over stuff and stop thinking someone is trying to get them every time something happens, theres no way it felt like a building collapsed so i dunno where you're getting your info

also its stupid that all the news channels in NY are filming manhattan and interviewing people, its a tiny vibration jeez, should be interviewing people in virginia and dc, NY did not have an earthquake !!!!! it simply felt a slight aftershock of an earthquake in another state

N

nynyve

I'm in Charlottesville--it was horrible. One moment everything was calm, then suddenly the house shook violently and a terrified cat went careening past me. I didn't even stop to put my shoes on or grab a phone, I just headed straight for the door, demonstrating that with adrenaline, I have no problems moving like someone 20 years younger.

We were lucky that the quake was short. It only cracked the supports on our front porch. Another 20 seconds and we would not have been so lucky. I thought that the house was going to fall to pieces.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Moved to OT.
Hope everyone is ok.
Thank you Black Sun

The east coast plate isn't broken up as much as on the west coast so when there is a sizable east coast quake the impact covers much more ground and the damage can extend a far greater radius, which is why everyone from Canada to North Carolina felt the forces. Pretty nuts. Just another step back and think of how much control we lack kind of moment ;D.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People on the west coast who are used to earthquakes are forgetting that the buildings on the east coast aren't built the same way. They haven't been designed to withstand major quakes because we rarely get them. Even though it was only a 5.8, I'm really surprised that I haven't heard of any major building collapses.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
In the center of it (D.C. area). Was overblown, tbh. Bit of rumbling/building shaking for a few seconds, then it was over. Got released early from work (yay!), but took half an hour just to get out of the parking lot due to the congestion (boo).

F

Fayled Dhreams

heh! yep... muchado over nothing ...

Didn't cause or improve the recent "crisis" in accounting

was a nice chance for those affected to >reveiw< their emergency supplies ...
Hurricane creeping towards their coast National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report ... they oughta.

And, sorry, I had to *giggle* a bit ... may I present it as a "Knowing chuckle"? !! >it was< !!

First thought on seeing the thread title ...
Cow took a pause for the cause over a USGS sensor ( ANSS - Advanced National Seismic System )
Early report on the Earthquakes site: reported it as (depth) 0.1 Km poorly defined
(normal cautious report in the early minutes, later refined to: 6 km (3.7 miles) )

Besides
New Madrid Seismic Zone - maps of past quake activity
new madrid is where all eyes should be looking anyways

I missed it, but my brother heard/felt it, when in Central Oklahoma one "burped"
Guess how I replied when HE inquired ... :lol:
*pouts* had to take it back after verifying via Link 3 above ... was within ten miles, so it WAS >I< 'twere "insensitive" :lol:

It is quiet now ... but Google earth has a setting, to locate "earthquakes" past ...
and at approx ~35o14'18.38"N 92o 20'56.62"W north of little rock and 170+miles SW of Madrid Fault ... there was a swarm of mini's that lasted nearly a year ...
I know, I watched ... thinking all the while
the sands of time shift slowly, ever slowly
making room for the great shifting to come ...
phooey! nothing ... yet ... *grins*

Hehe! can't outrun an earthquake, though your cat may think its a good idea to TRY ... Meowtahere!
just saying ... pause in the doorway till you know why you're running ...
Northwest of chicago? :talktothehand: hehehehe, probably a truck or lowflying plane
or that fourth martinininineyah! at lunch ... *berp!* the >building< is swaying ...

Never in my lifetime ...
uhhuh! and in geological terms ... is ... what?
NOT long ... I assure you ... NOR "unusual"
the earths equatorial speed of 465.1 m/s, 1,674.4 km/h or 1,040.4 mi/h
with a "wobble" now mind ya ... is Dwarfed by
the movement around the Sun @~~about 67,000 miles per hour
tuggling and wrestling with the moon ... seas rising and falling as tides ...

My oh My ...
I can't get across town with out a little sloshel from my little coffee cup ...
Of course, I am not "amazed"
*Knowing Chuckle*

Unusual is a matter of perspective AND experience
And "unknown" can be responded to best with Knowledge of those things
Outside of:
perspective AND experience

"... he's checkin' under the bed to see what's shaking it ..."
:talktothehand: STOP STOP!!!

You are Killing me

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heard from one of the Mythic devs today, the building shook pretty good... but everyone was fine and nothing broke. They kept working.

Several them are originally from CA, so those devs were used to it.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sort of how it's funny to see a Californian freak out at their first sight of snow...

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sort of how it's funny to see a Californian freak out at their first sight of snow...
Depends what part of California they are from. Lake Tahoe can drop 20 feet of snow in a single day in any given winter. And wasn't it DC and NY that freaked out over 2 feet of snow in a single day?

Valfelan

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I felt it here just outside pittsburgh pa. at the time i wasn't sure what happened, my chair rocked side to side, i was like... whats this now, i having a seizure or something? My first earthquake, i've survived a couple hurricanes and a tornado so that was a completely new experience for me, oh btw G.V.P. it's not that california's plates are more broken up, it's becouse the rock formations/bedrock differs from east coast and west coast