• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OT] Age of Conan again.

• Thread starter UOPODCASTING.COM
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
F

Fink

Looks good, much better than cartoons-on-steroids WoW.

I hear the pvp's pretty good, how does it play for you?

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

It plays really well for me.

I posted a first impressions post on the site and it links to a very good PVP video explaining the various tactics available for those that want to extract the most from PVP.

Its certainly a lot more than a button mashing feast.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

So if your into PVE then theres a bucket load of stuff.

The higher levels are having more content fleshed out and the raids for guilds are there as well.

By the time I get to raiding which is required for the good loot and gear it will be a lot more polished than it supposedly is now.

One thing I have liked this time around with Funcom is they appear to have learnt from their Anarchy Online experience in that they are fixing things a lot more rapidly and communicating what they are aware of and the plans they have to address it.

Its a change than from being kept in the dark and feed crap like EA does.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It'd be nice to be part of somthing where your 'in the loop'. Unlike EA where your not only not in the loop, your licked to the floor and laughed at.

F

Fink

Its a change than from being kept in the dark and feed crap like EA does.
QFT! :cursing:

Having similar problems over the release of another title, yet again "worldwide release" didn't include Australia. rolleyes:

Ended up having to pay $4/minute or whatever they charge to get an answer from them via phone. Neat little scam they have going there, the phonecall cost more than the bloody game.

D

Deano

QFT! :cursing:

Having similar problems over the release of another title, yet again "worldwide release" didn't include Australia. rolleyes:
No different with Funcom. We're still piggybacking the yanks like every other MMO. At the moment it includes 2 nights of downtime per week in our prime time. Not permanent though, but definitely something to consider when most people here know what it's like to have local support.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

For those that are interested I have made some site updates to utilise a new Javascript library I added that now dynamically loads images.

So I have started adding some more screen shots and will add a heap more shortly.

www.uopodcasting.com has the details for those interested in AOC.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your a tram basher who really enjoys killing monsters mindlessly for no point - other than gaining levels, then this is the game for you.
So this game has a very similar play style to WoW?

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

going from 1 to 9 isnt button mashing? no disrupt? no diversity? ...

On further note, the pvp 'skill' is little at best, because even people like our KOV aoc addict earnarial - who in uo was about as harmless as a mongbat, can actually kill people. Certain characters can't kill others etc, some are very powerful, others almost useless etc.

If you can press 4 to 9 then follow with other 1 to 5 directional keys your an aoc master - that's how easy it is. Oh and set heal/stam/mana potions to bindings.
Spoken by the truly ignorant.

http://files.filefront.com/Mephs+Ragni+Entourage+lavi/;10700925;/fileinfo.html

I see you couldn't make it in AOC and I see in the PVP thread that Sneaky was owning you in UO. You guys must be getting desperate to find a rock to crawl under.

Now lets all sit back and wait for the intelligent reply.

Cheers
Shane

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive been downloading Lord of the rings online to try out its 2 week trial. Anyone had a go at that? From looking at its site it looks pretty cool.

F

Fink

Ive been downloading Lord of the rings online to try out its 2 week trial. Anyone had a go at that? From looking at its site it looks pretty cool.
"I can't believe it's not WoW!"

LotRO looks like the movies, though. WoW's very.. cartoonish.. by comparison. I would have thought millions of WoWers would have switched games given the choice. Not sure if that happened but, myself, of the two I'd go LotRO.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

I played it for about a month, the PVP wasn't there and monster bashing bored me to tears.

If your a Tolkien fan then you will like it for sure.

Cheers
Shane

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok well after 3 days of downloading, i registered for my 2 week trial, got to the log in page, put my username and password in for them to tell me it was wrong. Did a 'forgot my password' thing for them to say "No account exists with this username". Well dah.
So i tried to get a new username and passowrd for them to tell me that this IP adress has already had its 2 week trial. So i think, fkuc it, ill just pay for one month ($9.95), to see if i like it. But you cant do that either.... You need to still pay $30somthing dollars for the account creation before you start the monthly payment....

*Delete*

B

barjunkie

We lost alot of guildies (From WoW) to AoC when it was released but every single 1 of them is back already lols

S

stumpy

*sits quietly & waits for stargate worlds*
You sign up to try get Beta??

I'm waiting for this in the interim because of the hope of the last few years that is Darkfall. If and when, I don't think it will be a WoW buster, but it may just steal some subscribers who want a real challenge.
I can probably claim here that anyone who liked UO pre-aos will at least try it lol.

LaundryBoy

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think alot of people are HOPING for Darkfall... its in closed beta now, so its moving along...

i can see that game being the new 'UO'..... the specs of that game have a lot of potential - free looting, housing, pure pvp, crafting, etc .....

AoC seems to have disappointed a lot of people, and they all return to WoW...

diablo 3 looks nice - wished that UO would look like that.....

A

Azureal

I think alot of people are HOPING for Darkfall... its in closed beta now, so its moving along...
LOL, Darkfall has been in closed beta for ages, and apart from internal testers/QA, they are beta testing with bots. The Darkfall Devs believe the AI they have created is better than human.

i can see that game being the new 'UO'..... the specs of that game have a lot of potential - free looting, housing, pure pvp, crafting, etc .....
Yup, thats what drew me to it as well. It just seems to be a whole lot of Duke Nukem Forever about it....

diablo 3 looks nice - wished that UO would look like that.....
You win the Quote of the Day award.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Problem Darkfall has other than its still vapor ware is how are the going to make users responsible for their actions.

AOC has this problem, UO had the problem and didn't solve it well (Trammel was not a solution) in how do you stop people being a jerk without imposing to many rules and removing the freedom?

K

Katlene

Yeah stumps im on the list for beta, khatie said that if either me or hubby get invite and the other doesnt to let her know so we can play together and dont have to fight :D
didnt get email in the last couple of weeks but theres been some drama, log in hasnt worked either so i just have to sit tight for a bit longer.
Everyones pretty bummed about don s davis passing away on the weekend though so i cant blame them if beta invites are late this week

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kind of off topic here, but why dont any of these games have a 'run from CD' style? I mean, UO's map is the same no matter what shard, why cant that be on a CD rather then all on my comp. Wouldnt it make it run faster like that? For some of these new ones they are huge games taking up massive space on my poor laptop, why cant the bulk be on a disk?

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Kind of off topic here, but why dont any of these games have a 'run from CD' style? I mean, UO's map is the same no matter what shard, why cant that be on a CD rather then all on my comp. Wouldnt it make it run faster like that? For some of these new ones they are huge games taking up massive space on my poor laptop, why cant the bulk be on a disk?
1. Because CD's are a lot slower than a hard disk.
2. CD's are read only. Therefore the file cant be patched if they are on a CD and game files get patched alot. Even the UO game map files are always having mods made to them.

So to answer your question, its not practical and they are to slow.

Z

zolo8

Funny question for these forums but does anyone have a set of EU Age of Conan disks? A friend just gave me his EU account but i cant play it as i dont have the disks!

I just downloaded the US version but...... It dont work! you need the EU version.

Anyone? Anyone?

S

Sneaky

1. Because CD's are a lot slower than a hard disk.
2. CD's are read only. Therefore the file cant be patched if they are on a CD and game files get patched alot. Even the UO game map files are always having mods made to them.

So to answer your question, its not practical and they are to slow.
Hehe, I still remember the days when you needed the CD to play the 2D client, it was kinda like a copy protection system, wasn't for long as they made the client freeware/downloadable soon after and patched it so you no longer required the disk.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Hehe, I still remember the days when you needed the CD to play the 2D client, it was kinda like a copy protection system, ...
Actually it was because they had a bloody registry key to look for the CD as a source. If you edited your registry and pointed the CD reference to the game folder you didn't need the CD after installing the game.

It was another shining example of EA's poor quality coding and QA testing.

F

Fink

Actually it was because they had a bloody registry key to look for the CD as a source. If you edited your registry and pointed the CD reference to the game folder you didn't need the CD after installing the game.

LOL! That's asinine.. actually, that's literally ********, in the true sense of the word. :mf_prop:

I remember them citing "supporting the run-from-CD client" as reason why they couldn't add new content for the 2D client. The Third Dawn client got content updates while 2D got old rehued stuff. Granted, most of the rehued stuff looked better than the 3D crap, but still.. :lol:

S

Sneaky

Just how is it poor quality coding exactly? Maybe the idea was wrong to have it require a CD check via reg for an MMO (remember this is UO we are talking about, its because of us that we know so many do's and do nots about MMOs), but still poor coding I don't think is the right term... many games/apps use this method still.

Oh and, it was Origin back then that was developing the game, not EA (even though EA still owned/published it).

S

Sneaky

LOL! That's asinine.. actually, that's literally ********, in the true sense of the word. :mf_prop:
Not really, having a CD check built in to a reg file is quite, quite common and was even MORE common back then.

I remember them citing "supporting the run-from-CD client" as reason why they couldn't add new content for the 2D client. The Third Dawn client got content updates while 2D got old rehued stuff. Granted, most of the rehued stuff looked better than the 3D crap, but still.. :lol:
YES! Thats when Ki-Rins looked like brown horses and Ridgys looked like yellow Ostys, ahh good memories...

F

Fink

Not really, having a CD check built in to a reg file is quite, quite common and was even MORE common back then.
I meant in the sense that that was the HUGE insurmountable hurdle that prevented the progress of UO for so many years.. when all it took was a simple reg edit to bring everyone up to date.