• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) Origin Store is broken

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Just thought I'd share this cautionary tale here and hopefully help others avoid my terrible experience.

I bought a game time code from the Origin store on Wednesday. When I attempted to redeem it on one of my accounts, I received a message that "this code has already been used". I slogged through the painful Origin/EA support channels, only to be referred to Ultima Online Billing support.

I emailed UO Billing support Wednesday and was told today that the issue was with the code itself and that I should take it up with Origin Support. Heh. So I tried. I spent over 2 hours in a livechat with Origin Support during which they A) tried to attach the code to the wrong account and then B) attempted to attach the code to the wrong game...

Finally Origin support told me that they could neither fix the problem nor issue me a refund and then referred me back to UO Billing support, saying that only UO Billing had the authority to assist me. Perhaps you can see where this is going?

So be cautious with your purchases from Origin store, at least for game time codes. You may never see that money again. And they call ME a thief...

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this may sound silly, but are you sure you put in the correct code? I mean in theory one wrong letter could have been a code that has already been issued. thus, making the one you think you have invalid. maybe just wishful thinking. I am just trying to be positive

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
No, it's not silly. I'm open to being wrong, but I copy/pasted the code from the receipt email. I tried it both as-is and changing the code to the 6-5-5-5-5 format. Got the "already used" message every time :-(

Ultimaholic

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
LOL

Cant even make it easy to give them money. How long has the store been full of irratation? A very long time. Seems like that was something Broadsword said they were going to address.
I remember getting pissed off because I was just trying to buy something (YEARS ago). Wonder if Walmart would still be around if they made it so annoying to shop there?

Same ole, same ole.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't know much about game time codes, but I did purchase two in games items Friday. When I redeemed those I cut and pasted without hyphens. Both worked fine. I buy stuff there every few weeks without trouble, but never GTC. Maybe there is a bug related to those?

Zalfein

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if someone stole your code.

Unless they made changes, you don't have to wait for the email to get the code, they write it on the next web page displayed after the purchase.

Zalfein

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'd never had problems with other codes either, but this is not the first issues I've had with game time. It is possible someone stole the code somehow. I don't know how, exactly, but it's certainly possible.

I initially copy/pasted the code from the origin page, then from the email when that didn't work. I tried it every way possible, as-is, changed formats, no hyphens. UO Billing support confirmed that as far as they could tell the code had already been used, and there was nothing they could do on their end, so I should contact Origin. Origin support then said there was nothing they could do, so I should contact UO Billing.

Anyone remember the movie Brazil? I feel like that. Lol.

It's not like I don't have another $14, but I kinda feel like Origin/EA has an obligation to fix their code or refund the money.