• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Ore ELemental Mining on a Boat?

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Greetings.
I was going to attempt to do some mining with a gargoyle pickaxe on a boat. Has anyone attempted this before? My miner is an old school style dexer with Chivalry and Lumberjacking.

Firstly, does the elemental spawn right on board the ship with you?
Secondly, is it suicide against some of these elementals to not have room to run and get out of the way?

Keep in mind I've never attempted "ore elemental mining" before.
Thanks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In most cases, I've heard that the elemental spawns off the boat, and "drowns"/sinks to the bottom, but that might have changed.

LetheGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firstly, does the elemental spawn right on board the ship with you? Secondly, is it suicide against some of these elementals to not have room to run and get out of the way?
I use a sampire temp with mining and use a earth elly double axe. With double strike toggled 90% of the time the elementals die as soon as they spawn. Verite/val ellies take an extra swing or two. You shouldn't have any problem with them.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep in mind I've never attempted "ore elemental mining" before.
Since you are dexxer, I would not try the boat, since you do not have a ranged attack. Try mining them up fisrt in a low-spawn trammel location (just so you are not inconvinienced by a laughable miner pk, elementals are the same regardless of facet*). Use a Gargoyle Pickaxe so you know what ore you are mining and take it easy. You don't want to pull a Valorite Elemental as your first one. Work you way up the ore difficulties. Copper and Valorite reflect damage, so don't try to one hit kill them. Depending on how well you can heal, use a moderate speed weapon and back away if you need to. Use an Earth Elemental Sayer at your own discretion (I don't, Enemy of One works just fine, but they are usually dead by the time I remember to cast it).

The only elementals that give me pause are the Copper and Valorite ones. Sometimes I don't notice the bronze and agapite elementals if I am distracted by talking to a guildmate. My miner is a GM+ macer, with nothing fancy.

*Beware of the Paragon versions in Ilshenar. Try them after taking on the regular ones.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Melee is perfectly fine with ore elementals on dry land, provided you have a 70s resist suit and a GM+weapon skill. Copper and Valorite are the only real dangers, and typically only if you don't have a way to heal. If you have Healing & Anatomy, you probably can bandage fast enough to stay alive vs. non-paragons. With chivalry, it's a matter of knowing when to back off, cast close wounds a couple times, then go back in.

The danger with boats is that you don't have the spacing to cast spells like Close Wounds or Greater Heal, without getting interrupted, though that's less an issue with HS boats than classic ones. A miner can also cast "Gift of Renewal" if they've done the Spellweaving quest, though a human has about 25% chance to cast at 0 skill, compared to an elf having about a 10% chance at the same 0 skill. GoR, on land or boat, can make a copper or val ele fight very easy in melee, especially if you cast Arcane circle with a bunch of non-weavers in the circle before you left.

Last edited: